What Happened With Sandow?

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by Pay Per Ghost, May 7, 2016.

1. Pay Per Ghost

Pay Per Ghost squashed Disco Inferno to become

I am not surprised, first and foremost. He was floundering and had nothing going for him but I thought someone like Adam Rose would get released before Damien.

Let's just get this out of the way, the E didn't know where to take that Genius gimmick they gave him, and he was one of those gifted with the gab and can work a good match. And yet, here we are. Is he to blame? Is it his fault that he didn't connect with the larger crowd?

But what is more intriguing is that his release may not be a release from WWE, but a release from his character. The best way to repackage a talented superstar is to cut him, let his do his shit elsewhere, make a name and then bring that new persona to the WWE. And then what we have is a reinvigorated character, an already fan favorites homecoming and snarky old gimmick chants that tickles everybody but Vince.

2. Sean Valjean

Sean Valjean Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love

Sandow knocked every character he was given out of the park, got over on his own merit, but WWE was like "NOPE!". No matter what he did, Vince and Co. decided Sandow would never mean anything despite proving otherwise, and there's seemingly little a talent can do once Vince has a set opinion about them. Sandow's failure is entirely on WWE as far as I'm concerned.

What makes his release so frustrating is that Sandow did get over with the larger audience. The Mizdow character was one of the hottest acts in the company at the time. It was hilarious and the fans respected Damien for taking such a silly idea and making it work. Sandow should have won the Andre Battle Royal at WM 31, but WWE decided Big Show needed that win more for reasons better understood by subterranean crab people.

Even before Mizdow, his Intellectual Savior gimmick was quite good and could have carried him for years as a charismatic midcard heel that maybe wins the occasional title, but ultimately loses to bigger rising stars. Much like Miz's Hollywood stuff today, Genius Sandow was a clearly defined and unique persona, plus he felt so natural in the role. I loved the Deep Blue chess computer segment, as well as his interaction with DX at Raw 1000.

The genius persona should have been a relative breeze to write, but they booked the character in over his head by giving him MITB in an illogical move, only to pay it off in one of the more forgettable cash-ins. He fell through the floor after that through no fault of his own. That's the story of Sandow's career in a nutshell.

At the very least, I believe Sandow still had value as a beloved jobber in the vein of Tye Dillinger in NXT, making you invest in his squashes simply because he's involved. It's always good to have jobbers you actually care about, but I guess WWE disagrees when it comes to Sandow specifically.

Damien could come back as the returning hero in a couple years, it just depends on where he goes and what he does in the mean time. It's too soon to predict whether or not that route will work for him.

3. thekooljt

thekooljt Pre-Show Stalwart

I said it before and I'll say again and again today's wrestlers have got to find a way to protect their brand. I know we don't know the politics behind the way creative determines whose a super star and whose a mid card and/or jobber but, If a wrestler decides to take too many jobs, his /or her stock DECREASES!!! Maybe Sandow was a company man and agreed to do everything the "Higher Ups" told him to do. Unfortunately, look where it eventually got him. You know whats crazy, I read blogs by Jim Ross and other people praising Sandow for losing his match to John Cena (when he cashed in the briefcase). Am I the only one who thought that was the final nail in the coffin? Yes he had a brief resurgence with the Miz and am now able to put former tag champ on his resume but make no mistake about it, he was grossly misused during his time with WWE.

4. The Yes Guy

The Yes Guy resU deretsigeR

Ya.. He was actually pretty good. He did connect with the crowd.
    I loved his Intellectual saviour gimmick and it could have taken him a long way a la Jericho.
    I see no reason for WWE to have booked him the way they did.
    I'm assuming he pissed someone off backstage. Someone very important.

With that said, I'm sure he's gonna return at some Royal Rumble as a surprise entrant.

5. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The main problem with sandow was that he did the comedy role way too long. The impersonation gimmick was really great but he got typecast because of it. When they separated him from the miz, i think it was the death nail for him because yes the fans loved him but they loved him the same way they loved santino marella, as a comedy act and wwe creative didn't really have a choice but to continue booking him like that so they gave him the macho mandow gimmick which wasn'T that great but he was still over and was on tv everyweek. Then the whole hogan racist crisis happenned and they had to pull that gimmick off the show and since they had pretty much did everything with the impersator gimmick they just didn'T know what to do with him.

So know he's release, that'S great for him because he can finally ge out off the stigma that was the comedy role and come up with a new character on the indy scenes or TNA and then after a couple of years when he's got that whole new gimmick worked out, WWE can reconsidered and give him another chance like they did with other guys like luke gallows who just return to the company.

6. dsotm5150

dsotm5150 Pre-Show Stalwart

That's very true, and we've seen it happen so many times over the years, where a wrestler got over basically playing the sidekick and plateued. I like Sandow and find him to be a very talented performer and he's got a great look to him, he reminds me of Kanyon a bit, but yeah Mizdow pretty much killed his momentum long term. Unfortunately the best way to change a persona is pretty much to remove them from TV for a period of time.

I'd be curious about circumstances of his release though. I wonder if he was one of those handful of guys that were rumoured a few months back to decide not to resign his contract, or maybe they were unable to come to terms on a new one. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him back within a year or so, and he'll definitely be getting looked at TNA and ROH, they'd be stupid not to reach out to him.

7. Anger

Anger Occasional Pre-Show

Out of all the releases this was perhaps the one that hit me most, as far as talent releases go. I've been a big Sandow fan from early on, and enjoyed his time with Cody in the Rhodes Scholar's. I always thought Sandow had an innate ability to work a great program, but at some point creative just seemed to stop giving a fuck. It also strikes me that Ryback wasn't among the released talent, and not merely because of his contract dispute. It's an interesting dichotomy in that with Sandow you have an immensely talented performer whom had a decided segment of the fan base behind him, but is released after being wasted and floundering as a jobber. With Ryback, you have a marginally talented big guy (no pun intended), toward whom the majority of the audience is booing and jeering when they aren't simply indifferent, but whom still is placed in title matches (albeit preshow) and pushed to an extent. Hopefully, Sandow gets on somewhere and reinvigorates himself as a performer so as he too may eventually find his way back to WWE for another shot.

8. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

Aww Sandow was great and I loved him. I remember the first time I saw him live here at a house show in Toronto. He came up on tron and informed us all he would be making his way out to the stage, he expected nothing else than applause and a standing ovation. He came out and naturally the boo's were deafening. I was in "tears" laughing. He went right backstage and came on the tron again to inform us that it wasn't good enough and we had to do it again. Same result only louder boo's.

Then I think it was Kane he was feuding with that night. Kane came out grabbed him by the scruff of the neck, hauled him to the ring and beat the tar out of him. The whole thing was hilarious and it was a great start to the show.

I will miss him and hope that one day the WWE realizes that they made a huge mistake. They think he wasn't good enough for them, when in reality, they weren't good enough for him.

9. rbv13

rbv13 Championship Contender

The guy was given his first sniff in '01ish. Took his role and ran with it in OVW. His first call up didn't work out so well. For whatever reason it seems he wasn't successful when it came to playing games backstage. Plus there is always the actual pay factors. Are any of us sure of the details behind his contract?

10. ComeOnVince

ComeOnVince Pre-Show Stalwart

It seems he had tremendous momentum with as Mizdow. What appeared to cut the jugular of his momentum was WWE's failure to properly pay off the Miz-Sandow partner/feud/tension/jealousy

11. stingray11214

stingray11214 Cena is no Bruno & Cole is no Solie

Sandow was a great performer. Great on the mic. Can get a crowd going. Hilarious when he wanted to be. Made Lemonade and Lemon Meringue pie out of the lemons creative threw at him. Hie problem was that he did not have the "look" that Dunn and VKM covet. Let me put it in another way: Give Sandow Ryback's body, and he would have been Main Eventing WM32 and would have walked out with the WWE World Strap. "look" worship at Titan Towers is what killed Sandow in the end.

However, he is going to make a KILLING on the Indy scene. BookDow@gmail.com is probably flooded with offers for shows from coast to coast. If he continues to develop his brand, he might tell WWE to go screw themselves as he will make a ton of money with far less work. And, he will get far more recognition similar to the Young Bucks. I can see his merch table now: He gets 50 people per show to buy pictures and autographs at $20 a pop, giving the home promotion a little cut, he can walk out of there clearing $700 before he even gets into the ring. That is just for photos! Now, add the shirts and other merch, and he will absolutely clear $150-250 grand a year working 2-3 days a week. Sandow, in the end, will be better off.

12. Psykohurricane55

Psykohurricane55 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's more ow they follow it up. They had a shot a getting him out of this comedic role and give him a serious gimmick and instead they decided to give him the macho mandow gimmick that what kill is momemtum.

13. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

Pretty much this. :)

Damien Sandow was a greatly misused or rather unused talent. He was nowhere near the level of a jobber. But still, he was made a jobber, not even a glorified one. This guy was just awesome. I loved him.

His Saviour gimmick was damn good and I loved to hate him while respecting him. He was a great heel, I mean a good ol' traditional heel who didn't have go-away heat like some others. His intensity was great. He got paired with another great talent like Cody Rhodes. His mic work was great and in-ring work was good too. He was good looking too.

WWE gave him the MITB briefcase and I was happy about it until the failed cash-in.

WWE then gave him another dumb gimmick in Mizdow and he made it gold with his skills and got immensely over. Much like Cody, You give any gimmick and he could make it work. Then he had the Macho Man-esque gimmick which was soon scrapped.

If someone remembers correctly, he did return back to his old gimmick and did a promo too in the ring about it. Then he was never seen except jobbing in ATGMBR and getting crushed by Baron Corbin.

This whole thing sucks a lot. I mean, a great potential is wasted like this.

In one sentence, I could tell Sandow's story:

"He was damn good in every matter much like The New Day but he had no support like New Day has."

14. BigDaddyKewl

BigDaddyKewl Getting Noticed By Management

It's a damn shame WWE didn't utilize Sandow to his full potential. As other have said he's done some great work with what they gave him with the intellectual savior gimmick. When he cashed the money in the bank he had a good match with Cena and showed he could possibly be a headliner. Of course The Mizdow gimmick was only supposed to be a one off comedy segment. But it ended getting over huge and we had months of hilarious television with him and The Miz. I was hoping he would confront The Miz and challenge for the IC Championship and at least get him back in the spotlight and on TV again. Or if they don't want to push him they could have at least used him for comedy relief and it would be way better than these R Truth, Goldust, Social Outcast segments we have to sit through.

15. Messiah

Messiah WWE Champion

They did that with Luke Gallows, but not everyone can be that successful outside WWE, no matter how talented fans think they are... Sandow had some major heat in WWE he was never able to recover from, and with all the new talents coming in making a name for themself on NXT and WWE, there wasn't a spot for him anymore.

16. Vanilla Midget

Vanilla Midget Registered Suplex Offender

Not much to be said about what went wrong with Sandow that hasn't already been. A lot of people point to this supposed falling out backstage. I don't know if it has any merit. Usually when these things happen rumours leak out. Where there's smoke there's fire, and in the case of Sandow there really isn't any other smoke other than a colossal de-push.

Don't misconstrue me as a WWE fanboy, I do think they blew it with this guy. What I do think though is that he didn't piss off anyone backstage, and his decline began with the decision to amalgamate the two world titles. Sandow was a world champion when the B World Heavyweight Championship, then in a one world title WWE he wasn't.

Something else changed, as the fall wasn't to the midcard and he became a comedic enhancement talent. Some consider this to be a punishment, others see this as having a job and a place on the roster. Place whatever bias or perception you have on it.

With Sandow being a Mr. Money in the Bank, having the Killer Kowalski connection with Triple H, you think the dude would have a free ride essentially, but it wasn't meant to be.

I don't want to blame the victim of bad booking, that's for WWE. I have to wonder though if Sandow (or any of these other fad wrestlers - Ryder, Fandango, etc.) get over and then are pushed in a serious manner, if it has any kind of longevity. We don't know as WWE buried them and left them off TV when their reactions were hottest.

A lot of people throw around the word buried on these and other wrestling forums, but Sandow is one of a few recent examples of a real and true burial. I think they're afraid of the fad popularity, the risk of exposing the business or setting the expectations that the vocal minority controls storylines or sets the precedents.

I don't think Sandow was the next Daniel Bryan. I think he was fun certainly, adequate and well rounded enough in the ring. I doubt he would have succeeded in a serious gimmick. It was comedy that got him over after all.

Sandow is a great get for any promotion. He could be a big player in TNA or in Japan. I don't think he's ROH material, nor do I think comedy has much of a place in LU. The only reason I don't mention GFW is a lack of a TV deal. Sandow has a few good years left in him, it will be exciting to see where he goes from here.

17. ComeOnVince

ComeOnVince Pre-Show Stalwart

I just emailed the address he posted for bookings just say "thank you" from a fan. I hope you will, too. Let the man know he will be missed.

18. kadroan

kadroan King Of The Ring

I guess we didn't buy enough of his merchandise and gave him a good enough reaction live. They say that's the biggest factors in making it.

19. jacdnwarrior

jacdnwarrior Championship Contender

Damien Sandow connected with the crowd and entertained. I was disappointed and a little surprised that they let him go. I mean I shouldn't be, but I thought they (WWE management) would change their minds, get their heads out their asses and realize they had something with Sandow.The guy could entertain and he did connect with the crowd and they did nothing but cut the legs from underneath him. He wins MITB match he loses to Cena, no secondary title IC or US. He kills as Miz' stunt double they break up no long Miz/Sandow rivalry leading to a great conclusion. He does impressions gets fan support for that and then he is taken off tv for a time or is barely used and hardly used on tv till he is released.

When you actually think of the people they push who can't talk for shit and they wear titles and here is this guy who can't get a title run beyond a short stint as tag team champion ? Are you kidding me ? This company did a fucking disservice to this talented performer.

Japan would be great for him. GFW has no tv, TNA is struggling and may be gone without some kind of intervention. ROH is ROH, not much of an audience. There are the independents but everything other WWE is a step down and the truth is Sandow deserves to be there.

Mitch Henessey likes this.