What happened to catchphrases?

steveom07

Occasional Pre-Show
Was watching a Chris Jericho DVD about his early years in WWF where he used countless catchphrases which helped in part to get him over with the fans.

People like The Rock, Austin, Hogan, HHH, Shawn Michaels etc etc etc. That is an endless list, all used catchphrases to get crowd interaction and get reactions.

I dont think catchphrases are the be all and end all, for example you couldnt just give a random superstar The Rocks catchphrases and get him over. It has a lot to do with the superstars charisma.

Even people like Ron Simmons with Damn, got well over with the crowd.

In current WWE I can only think of a couple of people who use catchphrases and really only 1 who sets up for the catchphrases so you know its coming. Them being The Miz (awesomeeee) and John Cena (Champ is here).

Do you think catchphrases would bring bigger crowd interaction?

Who in particular needs a catchphrase or would pull it off well?

There are a wrestlers that still have catchphrases. John Cena, The Miz, CM Punk if you count "Best in the world", R Truth with his "little jimmys" and "you gone get got!", Ryder with his "Woo Woo Woo You Know It".. It's just that today's catchphrases aren't as good as the catchphrases of say the Attitude Era. I think wrestlers had so much more freedom and the mic and with all the innovative guys like The Rock, Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, and Chris Jericho the mic work was awesome back then. In today's WWE all you have to do to get some entertaining segments is give them more freedom in my opinion. So to answer your question I just think the new stars don't have enough freedom on the mic so why would they be so motivated to come up with some really innovative stuff to say?

"Woo woo woo you know it"
"That's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth"
"My name is Alberto del Rio, but you already knew that"
"One more match!"
"Pipebomb"
"Excuse me!"
"And I quote..."
"Really? Really? Really?"

Just to name a few off the top of my head. They're there. They're not as good as ones in years past, but they're there.

Don't forget about the tremendously successful husky harris catchphrase "I'm a tank with a ferrari engine" or something along those ridiculous lines.

I think catch phrases only really work if the person is already good on the mic (maybe an exception for the undertaker's "rest in peace"). It would be useless (and history has shown it has been) to try and give someone a catchphrase if they didn't regularly get mic time.

So to answer, who needs one? I don't know if there is anyone that really needs one right now. Maybe dolph ziggler...he seems to be getting more mic time but still doesn't seem to have tipped into that "over" camp yet so it could help him. Similarly, maybe cody rhodes?

If drew mcintyre ever showed up on TV outside of being embarassed, perhaps he could use one too but I won't hold my breath on that.

While the above post was poor, I agree. In sentiment, a LOT of people have catchphrases. In fact, theres only a few that dont.

CM Punk is BASED off them now. "I want Ice Cream Bars". "Pipe Bomb." "I am the best wrestler in the world".

Cena obviously has them. Ryder has them. Even Henry's "hall of pain." Orton has the "I am unstable" line which crops up. "Rest in peace" by Undertaker. There's so many.

Catchphrases make a star identifyable. There's only one way you can become a house hold name, and that's by making yourself recognizable. To do this, a catchphrase helps. It's not ALL of the work, but it helps in a big way.

I think Orton could use one. He had the legend killer thing for a while, but since becoming "The viper", he has nothing to him. What I feel a catchphrase does is create a comfort zone for mic work. If they try something new, and it doesn't get over, they can go back to the catchphrase for a cheap pop. It's pretty much how the Rock operates, he talks a lot but if he doesn't create a reaction, he will spew a catchphrase or two and get the cheap pop.

Besides. You missed the biggest heel catchphrase in the WWE right now in your list..."EXCUSE ME!!". Just saying. :)

Catchphrases are still around and plentiful, the current ones just aren't as annoying as the ones from the past.

Catchphrases today don't all get made into T-Shirts, so we don't have to hear them as much to sell merch

Yeah, as many already mentioned they are still being used just not really as good as they have been in the past. I like a good catchphrase from time to time. Some are great and fit the character really well and you can see they are well thought out... some just seem to happen and the wrestler sticks with it because people start to get into it. I really hated the "What?" thing Stone Cold would do... It was almost funny at first when he did it but when the crowd started doing it and still do it now sometimes, it is really annoying.

The Catchphrases are still around My all time two favorite Catchphrases has to be hands down Bret Hart's '' The Best There Is, The Best There Was, and The Best There Ever Will Be '' That Catchphrase and Mr. Perfect's '' Absolutely Perfect '' were probably the two most legit Catchphrases in Wrestling history because Bret Hart was The Best There Is in his day The Best There was back In The Day and The Best There Ever Will Be People still talk about how Bret Performed in the ring and as far as Mr. Perfect goes He really was perfect in almost everything he did baseball football basketball Hockey Swimming Everything. the guy was so so great at everything he did.

I think WWE stars today do far too little in the way of interacting with the crow.

R-Truth has been great in that aspect however, far more than any other mid-carder and better than most of the main eventers too.

The Truth! Shall set you free./The truth has set me free!
C-O-N-... Spiracy
I'm a gooooooood R-Truth!
You gon get got!
Little Jimmy!
And that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Ya'll best stop with that WHAT!? thing.
Ya'll pissin me the hell off!
Don't boo me, you should be booing yourselves.

He's got so many solid (and a few great) catch phrases it's no wonder he's over with the live crowds.

The Miz has "Awesome", & "Really?" & "Because I'm The Miz!... and I'm... AWESOME!!!"

A good number of guys have at least one or two catch phrases.

That said, no one aside from John Cena & R-Truth interact consistently with the crowds. CM Punk talks at the crowd, once in a while he asks the crowd a question, but mostly he just talks AT them and says he's their voice. /shrug meh. It seems to be working for him which is good but I keep expecting Punk's bandwagon to get smaller and smaller as time goes on. The guys that really get over well with the crowds are the guys that really make the crowds feel like they are a part of the show.

I truly believe that if more of the superstars would include the crowd more during their promo's that ticket sales would increase, and likely so would ratings. I mean Steve Austin always worked the crowd. "If you want to see Stone Cold kick this guys ass give me a hell yeah." "HELL YEAH!!!" Kurt Angle was constantly working the "You Suck!" & "What!?" chants.

I truly believe that if more of the superstars would include the crowd more during their promo's that ticket sales would increase, and likely so would ratings. I mean Steve Austin always worked the crowd. "If you want to see Stone Cold kick this guys ass give me a hell yeah." "HELL YEAH!!!" Kurt Angle was constantly working the "You Suck!" & "What!?" chants.

At first I thought your point here was kind of stupid. I mean, more often than not when guys really work the crowd, it comes off cheesy. But you know what? You're right.

Did anyone notice how absolutely dead the crowd was during Cena's promo on RAW? I mean, here you've got a guy holding the championship belt and standing underneath a cell giving a promo and there's nothing but crickets. He's holding the belt up and saying things like "listen to the people", but they aren't making any noise. So yeah, I think you're right. I kept thinking to myself, "he just said listen to the people as if it were just another line in a sentence, there was no emphasis on what he said prior to direct the crowd to get involved".

I agree with some in saying that the Superstars don't do a great job nowadays of trying to connect with the fans. Even the faces. The mid-carders used catchphrases to catapult themselves up to the top. That's how SCSA did it, The Rock, The Game, the list goes on and on. THe ones that stand out are the ones mentioned above in Cena, MIz, Truth, Ryder. ADR tries, but he sucks really bad on the mic. So to answer your questions:

Do you think catchphrases would bring bigger crowd interaction?
Absolutely. The Rock is a mega star because of catchphrases. Stone Cold as well. it's a great way to keep the crowd interested and involved in what you as a Superstar are doing.

Who in particular needs a catchphrase or would pull it off well?
A. Ry...For some reason, I think he could do it and could be something that lifts him up out of mid card obscurity. Fans want this guy to be good. He has great entrance music and a good catchphrase is icing on the cake.

The champ is here.

If you want some...come get some.

Somebody's gonna get got!

I'm a gooood R-Truth.

And that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but...the truth!

It is my destiny to _________.

Pipebomb!

I am the greatest professional wrestler in the world.

The soul-crushing status quo...

That's my boi!

He's in my Fav Five dawg!

One more match!

Really? Really.... Really!?!

Aaaaawwweesssoooommmeeee.....

I am the all-American American American American American (*falls asleep...)

R...K...O.

Rest...in...Peace!

I've got two words for ya...

Are you serious bro!?!

And last but certainly not least... Woo Woo Woo... YOU KNOW IT!

Ok, I'll admit...that was fun. But honestly, that's about half the things we have to listen to every single week, sometimes twice a week if not more! It seems like every character has the one line they need to slip into everything so they are remembered for it. I'm sure it makes for easy t-shirt sales and since you can place every single one of these quotes, they clearly work. I just feel like an over-saturation of catchphrases makes the product seem so elementary. Like without the "awesome" catchphrase we're just going to forget who the Miz is and what he's done in the last year...

I think WWE stars today do far too little in the way of interacting with the crow.

R-Truth has been great in that aspect however, far more than any other mid-carder and better than most of the main eventers too.

The Truth! Shall set you free./The truth has set me free!
C-O-N-... Spiracy
I'm a gooooooood R-Truth!
You gon get got!
Little Jimmy!
And that's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.
Ya'll best stop with that WHAT!? thing.
Ya'll pissin me the hell off!
Don't boo me, you should be booing yourselves.

He's got so many solid (and a few great) catch phrases it's no wonder he's over with the live crowds.

The Miz has "Awesome", & "Really?" & "Because I'm The Miz!... and I'm... AWESOME!!!"

A good number of guys have at least one or two catch phrases.

That said, no one aside from John Cena & R-Truth interact consistently with the crowds. CM Punk talks at the crowd, once in a while he asks the crowd a question, but mostly he just talks AT them and says he's their voice. /shrug meh. It seems to be working for him which is good but I keep expecting Punk's bandwagon to get smaller and smaller as time goes on. The guys that really get over well with the crowds are the guys that really make the crowds feel like they are a part of the show.

I loved when R-Truth and The Miz first got together and the crowd was chanting "WHAT?!" and it pissed him off.

Crowd: WHAT?!

R-Truth: Don't the "WHATS?!"

Crowd: WHAT?!

R-Truth: Shut up!

You're right though, they don't interact as much today. I didn't like The Miz's "...and I'm Awesome!" at first but it grew on me, the issue is that he didn't play to the crowd with it or anything else from what I've seen. "...and that's the bottom line 'cuz Stone Cold said so!" and "...if ya' smell what The Rock is cookin'." didn't either but they had other things that worked the crowd to the point that they spat out the catchphrases with them at the end of the promo so much so that The Rock had to admonish the crowd for following along and Stone Cold had to start berating everyone before when they turned heel and it still didn't work, they finally had to say fuck it and let the crowd do it. If they'd just turn these guys loose on the mic they could do well with creating their own gimmicks and catchphrases. Look at Zack Ryder, he developed a gimmick he could work the crowd with even when he was heel and a catchphrase that, like The Miz's, I first didn't like but grew on me.

Things like The Miz saying 'Really, Really Really', thats a catchphrase which the crowd can interact with. Most of the other things mentioned are things the superstars say all the time, doesnt mean they are catchphrases. Mark Henrys 'Hall of pain' R Truth 'Little jimmy' They arent catchphrases in my eyes.

What I meant in the original post (maybe I didnt make it clear) was catchphrases the crowd can interact with.

Like The Miz's, Like The Rocks - Millions and Millions, Like Jerichos Ever Evvveeer. The crowd knew what was coming and could say it along with the wrestler. Just because a wrestler mentioned something ALL the time doesnt make it a catchphrase.

Just like a wrestlers signature moves will never be their finishers. People may jump on this line but all im doing is emphasizing a point

Things like The Miz saying 'Really, Really Really', thats a catchphrase which the crowd can interact with. Most of the other things mentioned are things the superstars say all the time, doesnt mean they are catchphrases. Mark Henrys 'Hall of pain' R Truth 'Little jimmy' They arent catchphrases in my eyes.

What I meant in the original post (maybe I didnt make it clear) was catchphrases the crowd can interact with.

catch phrase 
noun
1.a phrase that attracts or is meant to attract attention.
2.a phrase, as a slogan, that comes to be widely and repeatedly used, often with little of the original meaning remaining.

By definition, all the things I listed are catchphrases. But, if we're going to limit it to things the crowd interacts with, that's a different story. When in the history of pro wrestling did everyone have catchphrases? In every era there's a handful of guys charismatic enough to get the crowd to say a certain something. Sometimes the crowd itself has catchphrases, like "What!?!" and "You Suck!" during Kurt Angle's entrance. Things that the Superstar used to say or only said a handful of times but the crowd bought into on accident. I don't ever want a product where everyone has a catchphrase...

i agree with mike "the kid." If everyone had a catch phrase, it would just get really old and stale. some wrestlers get over with in ring abilities, some with catch phrases, and some are just bad-ass (i.e. original goldberg). variety is a good thing

on a side, and speaking of catch phrases.... does anyone else feel like miz and truth are similar to the new age outlaws??... at least in the fact that they are two OVER guys with great mic skills and a fun entrance that really play to the crowd?? i cant help but notice at least a few similarities. it's like punk says, it takes the whole roster to make this "cool" again. i feel like miz and truth, for what it's worth, are really trying. maybe that's just me

Mike "The Kid" Killam;3441604 said:
catch phrase 
noun
1.a phrase that attracts or is meant to attract attention.
2.a phrase, as a slogan, that comes to be widely and repeatedly used, often with little of the original meaning remaining.

By definition, all the things I listed are catchphrases. But, if we're going to limit it to things the crowd interacts with, that's a different story. When in the history of pro wrestling did everyone have catchphrases? In every era there's a handful of guys charismatic enough to get the crowd to say a certain something. Sometimes the crowd itself has catchphrases, like "What!?!" and "You Suck!" during Kurt Angle's entrance. Things that the Superstar used to say or only said a handful of times but the crowd bought into on accident. I don't ever want a product where everyone has a catchphrase...

I was wondering when the first person would quote catchphrase. Took longer then I expected.

Correct me if im wrong but does the world live by dictionary definitions or is a persons interpretation of said word not more important. I said in my second post I may not have explained myself properly, which is my bad.

Stone cold and Edge got the crowd saying you suck and What!? but they bought into it.

Not every superstar gets mic time on Raw or Smackdown and even if there was no wrestling and just mic time, not every superstar would even be able to speak so the last comment about everyone having a catchphrase is redundant.

i actually agree with you so I have so I have no idea why im every bringing most of this up, but oh well

I just think it is another example of the show evolving. The guys aren't expected to say a few things and let the action speak for itself. The guys are delivering monologue, dialogues, and whatever the fuck dry heaving is categorized as. And to be honest, I think that is what separates 'good' mic workers from 'great' mic workers. Any bonzo can get a group of words over. It takes someone with a real confidence and presence to them to make people hang on to your every word.

There is a new catchphrase, and that comes from Mark Henry. "You've been inducted into the Hall of Pain". Granted, it's nowhere's near any of the catchphrases of the late 90s/early 2000s, but it does qualify as one.

Every Superstar in WWE is essentially a "brand":

1) Look (costume)
2) Theme music
3) Titantron (logos & lighting)
4) Moveset
5) Catchphrases

Catchphrases round out the brand quite nicely. They make a superstar unique. They create a mystique for that superstar. They are also great to fall back on during promos. The wrestler gets a bullet list of things to say and knows they can pepper in their catchphrases intermittently throughout the promo.

Some of the best catchphrases are the the call and response catchphrases that the crowd can chant with the superstar.

Millions...And Millions!
Give Me a Hell Yeah...Hell Yeah!
Armando...Alejandro!....Estrada
Will Never....EVER...Be the same again

We certainly have more catchphrases than you'd suspect but they just don't have the same quality.

Did anyone notice how absolutely dead the crowd was during Cena's promo on RAW? I mean, here you've got a guy holding the championship belt and standing underneath a cell giving a promo and there's nothing but crickets. He's holding the belt up and saying things like "listen to the people", but they aren't making any noise. So yeah, I think you're right. I kept thinking to myself, "he just said listen to the people as if it were just another line in a sentence, there was no emphasis on what he said prior to direct the crowd to get involved".

Well, like I said earlier, R-Truth interacts with the crowd and he does it well. Better than most. Just watch some of his promos from this past summer, that is how it's done, that is how The Rock did it, that is how Austin did it, that is how Angle did it.

I frequently talk bad about the attitude era because everyone seems to think it's the be all end all of wrestling, but I will say that the attitude era was simply the best in terms of working the crowd during a promo. Austin, Angle & The Rock were unmatched and it's no wonder they were the best in the business.

Look at how The Rock worked the crowd as a heel when he was Hollywood Rock. He was cutting a backstage segment with The Hurricane, and he's talking about how he "tripped" over the top rope in the battle royal. There isn't much of a reaction to what he says, so what does he do? He looks off towards where the crowd noise should have been coming and repeats himself. "I SAID, The Rock TRIPPED over the top rope!" and this time he gets a good reaction.

So ask yourself: Now-a-days, who does that?
Does anyone care to involve the crowd like that?
If you go to a live show, do you just sit there and watch?
Or do any of the superstars ask you any questions and try and interact with you?
Which would make the event more fun for you to attend?
Which would make you more likely to buy tickets the next time they came to town?
Would you be more, or less likely to to watch the WWE shows, MNR Smackdown after having a good experience at a house show?

I guess John Morrison is still considered, the Shaman of sexy. He was the Friday night delight until he was drafted to Raw. But, I think he could use a good catch phrase. Something to livin up his character. I know he`s called the master or somethin of par core which he is but his character still needs more. He seems pretty over with the crowd yet pretty much always losses and in an opening bout. I think Morrison is one of, if not the best, in ring talents WWE currently has. I know his mic skills are kinda weak, but if given more mic time and a great catch pharse, I think his character could take off. Personally, I think he should turn heel, and create heat by comparing himself to Shawn Michaels, and saying he is the HBK of today, only better. I think that would get him major heat and finally get him into main event feuds where I could see him excel, over time.

Alberto Del Rio- "My name is Del Rio, but you already know that."

CM Punk- "Pipe Bomb"

John Cena- "You can't see me", "The champ is here", "Hustle, Loyalty, Respect", "Never Give Up"

JTG-"Yo yo yo yo yo"

Kofi Kingston- "Boom Boom Boom"

Undertaker- "Rest in Peace"

Vickie Guerrero- "Excuse Me"

Zack Ryder-"Woo Woo Woo You Know It", "Are you serious bro", "Take care, spike your hair"

IMO, not to many wrestlers in WWE could pull off a good catch phrase. I mean, could you really see Kofi Kingston with a catchphrase? How about Randy Orton? Didn't think so. Alberto Del Rio has something going with the "My name. . . my name. . is Alberto Del Rioooo!. . . But you already knew that." thing. To pull off catch phrases, you have to have charisma. You have to have a certain voice that makes you unique. Imagine if Big Zeke was given The Rock's gimmmick. What if he did the "if ya smellllll" thing. It wouldn't be as electrifying, because his voice sucks. So they just have to look for the right guy, right voice, and good charisma to have a nice catch phrase. Dolph Ziggler could possibly do something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back