What are you reading?

LODemolition

Championship Contender
Post books you are currently reading or just some of your favorites. I have a gift card to Books-A-Million and I am looking for suggestions. Maybe a wrestling book since I haven't read any out there.

I really like Cormac McCarthy books. I just finished No Country for Old Men and The Road recently and was thinking of checking out Blood Meridian as well.

If there are any fans of the band Eels on this website, I would suggest checking out the autobiography by their lead singer Mark Oliver Everett titled "Things The Grandchildren Should Know." Great read, but some very messed up situations from his life in there.

Барбоса;5759885 said:
Am I allowed to advertise in this thread?

If you mention your own work, that isn't technically advertising.

Right now I'm working on an autobiography. Chipper Jones, my favorite baseball player of all time. I enjoy that he isn't afraid to admit that he had faults as a man and completely admits to his cheating costing him his first marriage. It's a bit refreshing for a pro athlete. I've always been a fan of athlete's books.

If you want a wrestling book, you can't go wrong with Foley. Well, ignore his book while he was in TNA. Jericho's books, the ones I have read anyway, are also really good.

I haven't read Bret's book, but I hear it is worth it just to hear Bret stroke himself over the course of the book. Shawn's book is okay, but he paints himself as a total angel for most of it. Lawler's book is pretty much the same way. Daniel Bryan's book is kind of disappointing, minus the really sad story of him losing his dad.

I just finished a book by Chuck Klosterman called "What if We're Wrong."

I would definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys analytical thought. The book asks you to question commonly held beliefs (like the belief that we know what gravity is or that The Beatles are the greatest band of all time) and think about how people will think about the subject in 100, 500, or even 1000 years.

It goes a little wide at the end, but the first 3-4 chapters are very interesting thought experiments.

Барбоса;5759885 said:
Am I allowed to advertise in this thread?

Eh just don't take it to my levels and it's not the biggest issue in the world.

I read a lot of autobiographies/biographies of sports stars, musicians and wrestlers that I'm interested in, always loved reading.

The ones I have to get through are the autobiographies of Iggy Pop and Bernard Sumner (the lead singer from New Order), a book by a former road manager of Oasis detailing his time with the band, a biography on Man Utd manager Jose Mourinho 'The Red One' and a book called 'Creation Stories' by Alan McGee the owner of the record label about all the bands he discovered back in the 90s, Oasis being one of them.

If you mention your own work, that isn't technically advertising.

If you want a wrestling book, you can't go wrong with Foley. Well, ignore his book while he was in TNA. Jericho's books, the ones I have read anyway, are also really good.

I haven't read Bret's book, but I hear it is worth it just to hear Bret stroke himself over the course of the book. Shawn's book is okay, but he paints himself as a total angel for most of it. Lawler's book is pretty much the same way. Daniel Bryan's book is kind of disappointing, minus the really sad story of him losing his dad.

Bret's book is brilliant, so detailed and alot of stories that you may not have heard. Yes it's an ego trip but an incredibly entertaining one. He goes in depth about all the affairs he had on the road, I laughed at the line where he writes something like 'I could still smell the Chinese girl on my fingers the next morning' haha!

Jericho's 3 books are all great and so are Foley's first 2 or 3.

Right now I'm in the thick of the Expanse series. Kinda like Game of Thrones, but in space. Makes sense when you learn that the authors were assistants to George RR Martin. I strongly recommend that series to any sci-fi/fantasy fans.

After book 4, I needed a brief break from sci-fi, so I figured I'd pick up some literature. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. If you've read it, you're probably laughing at me right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back