Week 6: fromthesouth -versus- The D-Man

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Who made wrestling’s Golden Age? Vince McMahon or Hulk Hogan

The D-Man is the home debater, he gets to choose which side of the debate he is on first, but he has 24 hours.

Remember to read the rules. This thread is only for the debaters.

This round ends Friday 1:00 pm Pacific

I'm going to choose that Vince McMahon made wrestling's Golden Age. FTS, you can begin... and good luck to you!!

I want to start this debate by stating that these men needed each other to truly make the Golden Age. Neither would have gotten where they were without the other, however, Vince McMahon needed a star to get where he was going, and Hulk was that star.

Hulk Hogan's charisma allowed for all of the cross promotion to be as successful as it was. Hulk Hogan was a natural in front of the camera. He knew exactly how to deliver every line. He knew when to Hulk up. He knew what it took to be a star. His stardom is what brought the WWE to the forefront of the national consciousness. Vince may have put him out front, but he's done that before and failed. Vince put HBK out front of the promotion, and he didn't draw like Hogan. Hogan drew the crowds because he did everything right.

While Hogan's size would not be so amazing now, at that time, a man of that size was a sight. Granted, Andre the Giant was around, but he was an attraction, whereas Hogan was the week to week star. He was larger than life in so many ways.

To this day, Hogan still draws without Vince. Hogan Knows Best and Brooke Knows Best were done without Vince. Those shows survived longer than most reality shows do because Hogan is a star.

My final opening argument is that the viewers followed Hogan, not Vince. When Hogan left to WCW, the viewers clamored to see what he was doing. It wasn't instant, however, his heel turn was news, not in the wrestling world, but for everyone. You could argue that Hogan is repsonsible for the Golden Ages of the 80's and 90's. Everything the man did was gold. He made a small promotion from the south the biggest wrestling promotion in the world. Eventually, the idea got dilluted, he was given too much power. But Hogan is the draw. Hogan is the star. Vince is the starmaker, but the people came to see Hogan, whether it was Vince's product, or not.

My fellow readers, FTS, and judges, welcome to yet another reincarnation of the most famous unanswered question of all time…

What came first, the “chicken” or the “egg”?

Yes, this is always an interesting subject for debate, but no one has ever been able to prove their answers behind it. This is for many reasons, most of which are religious and/or philosophical. And the difficulty in proving everyone’s hypothesis came from the lack of tangible knowledge about the genesis of life as we know it. However, in the world of professional wrestling, this theory can and will be proven, beyond the shadow of a doubt. To sum up most of these religious or philosophical theories on this subject, there may or may not be a God… but there sure as hell is a Vince McMahon.

The Chicken: Hulk Hogan

- The Painter -

Artists work all of their lives with the goal of creating a masterpiece so revolutionary that the work of art will be remembered forever. They spend their entire lives for one work of art, praying that it paves their legacy. If you really try to view their work on a dimension deeper than just the surface, you could see a bit of themselves in their portraits. On different levels, they paint their emotions, their experiences, and their personalities. Hulk Hogan was no different.

He was a man with a great head for business and had goals to be the greatest professional wrestler of all time. Obviously, he attained that goal. And in the process, he was one of the greatest contributors to the Golden Age of professional wrestling. Luckily, I was able to be alive and witness most of his contributions as they happened. Honestly, I feel bad for many of you younger fans out there who didn’t get a chance to live through these building blocks of pro-wrestling’s Golden Age and first actual ‘boom’ period. It was a great time to be a living, pro-wrestling fan.

In the Golden Age of professional wrestling, I remember Hulk Hogan as being the center of the pro-wrestling universe. He could do no wrong in the audience’s eyes. All the WWE had to do was put him on television, have him headline the show, and the ratings would skyrocket. I would stay glued to the television week in and week out to see the next victim of his ‘Hulk-Up’ and the infamous ‘Leg Drop’. As a matter of fact, besides Hogan, I couldn’t imagine anyone else that could’ve been responsible for the Golden Age of professional wrestling. That is, until I grew up…

For those who still disagree with me, we all need to remember that Hogan tried to spark professional wrestling on his own in the 1970's and 1980's in the WWWF under Vince Sr., territories of the NWA, the AWA, and New Japan Pro Wrestling but he failed. It wasn’t until he came to Vince Jr.’s WWF that he was even considered as someone who had a hand in creating wrestling’s Golden Age.

In his personal life, Hogan is very boastful about his career highlights. He takes sole credit for every single goal that he accomplished, without citing help from any of his associates where credit was due. For instance, he’ll never give Roddy Piper credit for the role Piper played in Wrestlemania. Hogan believed that he was the main draw because people wanted to see Hogan defeat Piper, while Piper argues that people wanted to see Hogan defeat Piper. In addition, it has been well-documented that when Hogan shifted over to WCW, he took the majority of the credit for the success of the nWo faction when, in fact, the idea was given to him by Eric Bischoff and his associates. If it wasn’t for the original idea of the nWo, Hogan never would have been given the chance to use his star power to make the faction so successful.

:worship::worship::worship:The Egg: Vince McMahon:worship::worship::worship:

- "Every great painter needs a canvas." -

This cliché has been used before. We've all heard it. And to most people that would be given the opportunity to debate on this great subject, they would use this saying as the basis for their argument, if they chose my side of the debate. But, in my eyes, this cliché doesn’t fully grasp the magnitude of what Vince McMahon has done for the world of professional wrestling. If we were to be a bit more professional-wrestling-correct here, I’d say that the painter, in fact, needed more than a canvas… they needed a world-famous, capacity crowded art exhibit. Vince provided that for him.

As most of you know, professional wrestling became what it is today because of Vince McMahon’s vision. He took his father’s promotion, the WWWF, and broke every unwritten rule of pro-wrestling by invading other territories with the purpose of creating a monopoly of the industry. Vince’s dream was to turn his new company, the WWF, into the premier wrestling organization in the world while showcasing his talent in a wrestling super-show to be known as (none other than) Wrestlemania. Against his father’s wishes, Vince chose Hulk Hogan as the star that would lead the charge for this dream to become a reality. The dream of Wrestlemania became a reality on March 31st, 1985 and was a huge success. Wrestling historians say this event was the spark of the Golden Age of professional wrestling. In other words, Vince's creation sparked the Golden Age of pro-wrestling.

The main event of Wrestlemania was a dream match pitting two powerhouse tag teams against each other consisting of Hulk Hogan and Mr. T facing Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorf. Some believe this was the major draw of the event. However, many fail to realize that while the main event played a huge part in the success of Wrestlemania, so did other factors.

1. Stars in attendance
Liberaci, Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, and Cyndi Lauper were amongst the stars in attendance, and all of them played a major role in the show. This caused more non-wrestling fans to turn on Wrestlemania and make it such a success.

2. The venue
No other wrestling organization in existence was able to put on their live shows at Madison Square Garden except for the WWF and WWWF. This was because of the relationship that Vince McMahon, Sr. had with the venue. Naturally, when he passed on, Vince McMahon, Jr. took over this relationship.

3. Broadcasting on MTV, Turner, and closed Circuit Television
Because Vince was able to grab the most popular pop star in the world, Cyndi Lauper, to be a part of this event, MTV agreed to air WWF matches in order to build up Wrestlemania. At the time, MTV was white-hot as television's musical nucleus.

In addition, Vince was the only person who could strike an agreement with Ted Turner (at the time) to televise his program on Turner Broadcasting and to come to terms with televising Wrestlemania in front of the largest Closed Circuit television audience in the world at the time.

With all of this, Vince gave Hogan his first canvas to paint on.

Vince is responsible for everything that made Hogan into what he is today. He fueled Hogan's gas tank. He took Hogan away from smaller, more localized venues and threw him into global television platforms to showcase his skills. Then, the world caught on and away they went.

After Wrestlemania was over, professional wrestling was thrust into the mainstream spotlight. Those who didn't see the show had it on the tips of their tongues. To capitalize on this, Vince continued his success in fueling the Golden Age by following up Wrestlemania with a television show on NBC called Saturday Night's Main Event. Once again, Vince provided Hogan with another canvas to paint on.

Throughout the remainder of the Golden Age, Vince would continue to feed Hogan with fuel for his gas tank and provide him with canvas's for his paintings. Hogan took the ball he was given and ran with it. But there would never have been a ball in the first place without Vince McMahon. This is a no-brainer.

To summarize:

If you choose to actually see the truth, you’ll know the answer to my original philosophical question pertaining to the Golden Age of wrestling. There is no doubt that in the case of professional wrestling, the “egg” came before the “chicken.” And if you don’t like that statement, you can metaphor it in any way that you see fit…

Hulk Hogan was a puppet whose strings were pulled by Vince McMahon.
The wizard behind the curtain of Oz was Vince McMahon.
Vince McMahon is ‘God,’ while Hulk Hogan was ‘Moses’… a mortal doing Vince’s bidding.

Furthermore, no matter what way you slice it, there is no hypothesis containing a formula that can prove Hogan had more to do with making the Golden Age of wrestling, moreso than Vince McMahon. Without Vince McMahon, all of us would be watching professional wrestling on our local public access television stations. Networks like ESPN, USA, TBS, and TNN would have ditched the product by now and wouldn’t give wrestling a second look. Hulk Hogan wouldn’t be a national icon. He never would have been given the platform to showcase his skill, charisma, or likeability. Hell, pro-wrestling probably wouldn’t even have survived this long.

You can all continue to life in the fantasy world that Hulk Hogan made the Golden Age of professional wrestling… it’s your choice. But none of you could ever change the real truth… Hulk Hogan was definitely the aforementioned “chicken,” while Vince McMahon was definitely the “egg.”

There is no doubt that Vince McMahon made Hulk Hogan, so he obviously made the Golden Era of wrestling.

My fellow readers, FTS, and judges, welcome to yet another reincarnation of the most famous unanswered question of all time…

What's up?

What came first, the “chicken” or the “egg”?

chickenegginbed.jpg

the chicken.

Yes, this is always an interesting subject for debate, but no one has ever been able to prove their answers behind it. This is for many reasons, most of which are religious and/or philosophical. And the difficulty in proving everyone’s hypothesis came from the lack of tangible knowledge about the genesis of life as we know it. However, in the world of professional wrestling, this theory can and will be proven, beyond the shadow of a doubt. To sum up most of these religious or philosophical theories on this subject, there may or may not be a God… but there sure as hell is a Vince McMahon.

So, Vince came first? Baseball was around before Babe Ruth, but the Bambino made the game.

The Chicken: Hulk Hogan

- The Painter -

Artists work all of their lives with the goal of creating a masterpiece so revolutionary that the work of art will be remembered forever. They spend their entire lives for one work of art, praying that it paves their legacy. If you really try to view their work on a dimension deeper than just the surface, you could see a bit of themselves in their portraits. On different levels, they paint their emotions, their experiences, and their personalities. Hulk Hogan was no different.

OK, so you did a far better job of writing than I did. Great stuff, but let's get to the arguments.

He was a man with a great head for business and had goals to be the greatest professional wrestler of all time. Obviously, he attained that goal. And in the process, he was one of the greatest contributors to the Golden Age of professional wrestling. Luckily, I was able to be alive and witness most of his contributions as they happened. Honestly, I feel bad for many of you younger fans out there who didn’t get a chance to live through these building blocks of pro-wrestling’s Golden Age and first actual ‘boom’ period. It was a great time to be a living, pro-wrestling fan.

I think we're about the same age, so yeah, I used to watch every Saturday Night too. This is why Superstars is so cool to me. It's pretty much the same show minue Heenan and Schivone.

In the Golden Age of professional wrestling, I remember Hulk Hogan as being the center of the pro-wrestling universe. He could do no wrong in the audience’s eyes. All the WWE had to do was put him on television, have him headline the show, and the ratings would skyrocket. I would stay glued to the television week in and week out to see the next victim of his ‘Hulk-Up’ and the infamous ‘Leg Drop’. As a matter of fact, besides Hogan, I couldn’t imagine anyone else that could’ve been responsible for the Golden Age of professional wrestling. That is, until I grew up…

Enough with the poetry, let's get dirty.

For those who still disagree with me, we all need to remember that Hogan tried to spark professional wrestling on his own in the 1970's and 1980's in the WWWF under Vince Sr., territories of the NWA, the AWA, and New Japan Pro Wrestling but he failed. It wasn’t until he came to Vince Jr.’s WWF that he was even considered as someone who had a hand in creating wrestling’s Golden Age.

That had to deal with exposure. In the territorial days, it was hard for a guy to get over in another territory. Wrestling fans in the 70's were very loyal to their guys. Flair and Hogan sold out Japan, along with Andre, but that was about it for Americans. Japanese wrestling is different today. This is evidenced by the success of fucking Albert.

I guess you're trying to say that Vince provided the canvas for Hogan to paint on? Well, if this is your argument, I don't see how that helps. I can buy a canvas at an arts and crafts store, but the image I paint on it is what sells. No one buys a Van Gogh for the thread count.

In his personal life, Hogan is very boastful about his career highlights. He takes sole credit for every single goal that he accomplished, without citing help from any of his associates where credit was due.

Oh no! A wrestler with an ego! :lmao:

For instance, he’ll never give Roddy Piper credit for the role Piper played in Wrestlemania. Hogan believed that he was the main draw because people wanted to see Hogan defeat Piper, while Piper argues that people wanted to see Hogan defeat Piper. In addition, it has been well-documented that when Hogan shifted over to WCW, he took the majority of the credit for the success of the nWo faction when, in fact, the idea was given to him by Eric Bischoff and his associates. If it wasn’t for the original idea of the nWo, Hogan never would have been given the chance to use his star power to make the faction so successful.

But this doesn't really matter in the long run. Giving Vince the credit implies that he could have had the same success with anyone else. Saying that Vince made the Golden Age also implies that he made Attitude. He played a major part, a huge part, and could even be called the catalyst, however, he needed the right star to pull it off. He tried everything he could with HBK and Bret, but no one drew like Hogan and Austin. This is why Hogan made the Golden Age. He was the draw. The attraction. Vince may be a star maker, but the stars he make draw the line of demaracation between a golden age and a transition period. Austin, Hogan, and even The Rock had a charisma that Vince could just put in front of the camera. Sure, Vince called the shots, but when his stars haven't lived up to the three aforementioned guys, ratings and buyrates suffered. I point to John Cena as an example. He has the same gimmick as Hogan (adjusted for inflation), the same impressive physique, and the same appeal to the kids, but he does not capture the attention of the national audience the way Hogan did.

Furthermore, when Hogan left, Vince was forced to walk out, on national TV, tell the audience, yes, I know I am perpetrating a fraud. This is fake, but tune in, because we will shock you and entertain you better than every TV show on the tube. Losing Hogan broke Vince down. Losing Vince revived Hogan.

:worship::worship::worship:The Egg: Vince McMahon:worship::worship::worship:

- "Every great painter needs a canvas." -

Refer to the arts and crafts store above.

This cliché has been used before. We've all heard it. And to most people that would be given the opportunity to debate on this great subject, they would use this saying as the basis for their argument, if they chose my side of the debate. But, in my eyes, this cliché doesn’t fully grasp the magnitude of what Vince McMahon has done for the world of professional wrestling. If we were to be a bit more professional-wrestling-correct here, I’d say that the painter, in fact, needed more than a canvas… they needed a world-famous, capacity crowded art exhibit. Vince provided that for him.

Was the crowd there to worship at the altar of Vince? No! The crowd was there to worship Hogan. Hogan was wrestling. I do not deny Vince's ability as a promoter. I say he is second only to PT Barnum. But, come on....the people were there to see one man. And that one man put more asses in the seats than gravity.

As most of you know, professional wrestling became what it is today because of Vince McMahon’s vision. He took his father’s promotion, the WWWF, and broke every unwritten rule of pro-wrestling by invading other territories with the purpose of creating a monopoly of the industry. Vince’s dream was to turn his new company, the WWF, into the premier wrestling organization in the world while showcasing his talent in a wrestling super-show to be known as (none other than) Wrestlemania. Against his father’s wishes, Vince chose Hulk Hogan as the star that would lead the charge for this dream to become a reality. The dream of Wrestlemania became a reality on March 31st, 1985 and was a huge success. Wrestling historians say this event was the spark of the Golden Age of professional wrestling. In other words, Vince's creation sparked the Golden Age of pro-wrestling.

Was it Vince's vision or Hogan's presence? I would say Hogan's presence. You would too. Earlier, in this post, you said that Piper and Hogan argued whether or not it was Hogan's winning or Piper's losing that people were there to see. Either way, they were there to see Hogan win. People came to see Hogan, and you agree with me.

The main event of Wrestlemania was a dream match pitting two powerhouse tag teams against each other consisting of Hulk Hogan and Mr. T facing Roddy Piper and Paul Orndorf. Some believe this was the major draw of the event. However, many fail to realize that while the main event played a huge part in the success of Wrestlemania, so did other factors.

Now, we're talking.
1. Stars in attendance
Liberaci, Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, and Cyndi Lauper were amongst the stars in attendance, and all of them played a major role in the show. This caused more non-wrestling fans to turn on Wrestlemania and make it such a success.

These non wrestling fans had to go to bars to see it, as it was only offered on closed circuit. PPV to the home was not an option at the time. No one traveled out of their homes to see Ali sitting in the crowd.

Furthermore, the attraction of Lauper was the Rock n Wrestling gimmick. Do you think that gimmick would have worked as well without Hogan? Hogan was gold in front of the camera. His charisma is what attracted Lauper to the event. In fact, if you don't want to credit Hogan for bringing in Lauper, you can credit Captain Lou more than McMahon.

I'm sorry, Vince may have made the call, but all of these celebs were trying to get the Hogan rub.

The fact is, Vince's insistence on maintaining kayfabe is his downfall in this debate. Now days, when it's Wrestlemania time, Vince is on every TV show promoting the shit out of it. His insistence on kayfabe made Hogan the man in front of the company. Everyone bit it hook, line, and sinker.

2. The venue
No other wrestling organization in existence was able to put on their live shows at Madison Square Garden except for the WWF and WWWF. This was because of the relationship that Vince McMahon, Sr. had with the venue. Naturally, when he passed on, Vince McMahon, Jr. took over this relationship.

Ric Flair put over 100,000 people in the seats in communist North Korea. It's the star that fills the seats. True, MSG is the mecca of America venues, however, just getting the venue is not enough. Hogan can thank Vince for giving him a venue to sell out, but Vince should worship at Hogan's feet for selling it, and so many others, out.

3. Broadcasting on MTV, Turner, and closed Circuit Television
Because Vince was able to grab the most popular pop star in the world, Cyndi Lauper, to be a part of this event, MTV agreed to air WWF matches in order to build up Wrestlemania. At the time, MTV was white-hot as television's musical nucleus.

Lauper was huge at the time. She was not the top star though. Michael Jackson was. Lauper joined up, I'm assuming, thinking that getting Hogan's rub would help her surpass Mike. It didn't work, but, what would? I'm sorry, Vince picked Hogan to be out in front, because he knew that Hogan would make the cross promotion work. If Vince was responsible for the Golden Age, he would have been able to do it with anyone. Can you tell me Piper would have made this work? I don't think so.

In addition, Vince was the only person who could strike an agreement with Ted Turner (at the time) to televise his program on Turner Broadcasting and to come to terms with televising Wrestlemania in front of the largest Closed Circuit television audience in the world at the time.

Wrestling fans call the night Vince premiered his show on Turner Broadcasing "Black Saturday." The show lasted less than a year due to complaints that it wasn't a southern territorial show. If nothing else, this shows that Vince couldn't beat Georgia Championship Wrestling. Meanwhile, Hogan overcame this to become an international icon. Vince had a vision for that timeslot, and failed. Now, closed circuit is another story. It is true that Vince secured the deal, but why did people go to their local bar to see the event? Hogan. No one left their homes to see how Vince used closed circuit in some kind of technology exposition. They went to see Hogan.

With all of this, Vince gave Hogan his first canvas to paint on.

So, Vince should get mentioned in Hogan's acknowledgments, but in no way, shape, or form is providing a canvas anything close to as important as what goes on that canvas. Bad analogy.

Vince is responsible for everything that made Hogan into what he is today. He fueled Hogan's gas tank. He took Hogan away from smaller, more localized venues and threw him into global television platforms to showcase his skills. Then, the world caught on and away they went.

Vince has quite the eye for talent. When was the last time the scouting department was World Series MVP?

After Wrestlemania was over, professional wrestling was thrust into the mainstream spotlight. Those who didn't see the show had it on the tips of their tongues. To capitalize on this, Vince continued his success in fueling the Golden Age by following up Wrestlemania with a television show on NBC called Saturday Night's Main Event. Once again, Vince provided Hogan with another canvas to paint on.

Would Vince have been able to get this show on the air without a star like Hogan? I don't think so. Even today, Bonnie Hammer (head of programming for NBC Universal) gives Vince shit over the lack of starpower.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/article/big-exclusive-the-main-reason-for-the-rawhost-concept-82645

Vince's idea have been amazing, but it is the stars that have executed them that brought in the fans. The 80's are described as a Golden Age because the WWE was printing money. They did so on the back of Hogan. Vince put him in a good situation, but he's done that numerous times over the years, and it never worked like Hogan made it work. Austin may have been a comparable draw for a while, but not for the length of time, nor was he nearly as immersed in the national sporting and pop culture consciousness in the way that Hogan was. Hogan was the chicken and the egg. Vince was the guy who built the coop.

Throughout the remainder of the Golden Age, Vince would continue to feed Hogan with fuel for his gas tank and provide him with canvas's for his paintings. Hogan took the ball he was given and ran with it. But there would never have been a ball in the first place without Vince McMahon. This is a no-brainer.

But even if Vince is the enabler, that doesn't make him the reason for the Golden Age. As I have said, he has presented many charismatic, athletic stars with the same opportunity, but he can't do it again. Vince's failures to repeat the success at least have to be considered circumstantial evidence that Hogan was more responsible than Vince. The ratings and ticket sales will provide more hard evidence.

To summarize:

you choose to actually see the truth,

A little dramatic, but it fits thematically.

you’ll know the answer to my original philosophical question pertaining to the Golden Age of wrestling. There is no doubt that in the case of professional wrestling, the “egg” came before the “chicken.” And if you don’t like that statement, you can metaphor it in any way that you see fit…
I still think Hogan was the chicken and the egg. He laid :)lmao:) the framework for the future of the business, and then hatched the next Golden Age. Hogan was the catalyst behind both Golden Ages.

Hulk Hogan was a puppet whose strings were pulled by Vince McMahon. The wizard behind the curtain of Oz was Vince McMahon.
Vince McMahon is ‘God,’ while Hulk Hogan was ‘Moses’… a mortal doing Vince’s bidding.

The man behind the curtains was weak and feeble, while the wizard was the powerful entity everyone came to see. So yeah, I agree. Well, not about Vince being God, but you see where I'm going.

Furthermore, no matter what way you slice it, there is no hypothesis containing a formula that can prove Hogan had more to do with making the Golden Age of wrestling, moreso than Vince McMahon. Without Vince McMahon, all of us would be watching professional wrestling on our local public access television stations. Networks like ESPN, USA, TBS, and TNN would have ditched the product by now and wouldn’t give wrestling a second look. Hulk Hogan wouldn’t be a national icon. He never would have been given the platform to showcase his skill, charisma, or likeability. Hell, pro-wrestling probably wouldn’t even have survived this long.

I kind of agree here about Vince keeping wrestling alive. Unfortunately, this topic isn't about the long term viability of wrestling. Vince did a great job of taking the capital and exposure provided to him because of Hogan and sustaining a business through scandal, exposure, and government pressure, but the good faith of the American people exists because of their love of Hogan.

You can all continue to life in the fantasy world that Hulk Hogan made the Golden Age of professional wrestling… it’s your choice. But none of you could ever change the real truth… Hulk Hogan was definitely the aforementioned “chicken,” while Vince McMahon was definitely the “egg.”

Nah. See above.

There is no doubt that Vince McMahon made Hulk Hogan, so he obviously made the Golden Era of wrestling.

Hogan and Vince truly needed each other, but I think, Hogan provided the basis for wrestling today. Hogan was the catalyst for all of Vince's expansions. Hogan truly is the chicken and the egg. Vince provided the venue, or canvas, for Hogan to paint his masterpieces, but the brushstrokes were Hogan's.

First and foremost, I think the debate question needs to be repeated here...

Many of the arguments that FTS made here were spawn from Hogan's star power. Once again, if anyone was a "catalyst" in making the Golden Age of professional wrestling (as you keep repeating), it was Hogan.

I know that a lot of times in debates one person will put words in the other debater's mouth, and I feel it's being done here. Let's not think for one second that I don't give Hogan credit where credit is due. The role he played in helping Vince make the Golden Age was HUGE... but like I said, he only played a part in it.

So, Vince came first? Baseball was around before Babe Ruth, but the Bambino made the game.

I don't remember saying that Vince came before wrestling... I said Vince's business deals and inner workings came FAR before Hogan was thrusted into the spotlight by Vince to give him the opportunity to shine.

Enough with the poetry, let's get dirty.

Ok... you asked for it.

That had to deal with exposure. In the territorial days, it was hard for a guy to get over in another territory. Wrestling fans in the 70's were very loyal to their guys. Flair and Hogan sold out Japan, along with Andre, but that was about it for Americans. Japanese wrestling is different today. This is evidenced by the success of fucking Albert.

Well, this completely proves that without Vince's business sense, dreams, goals, and drives there wouldn't be a product like there is today, or the one that was made back in the 80's. So where does Hogan come into this? Vince brough him in after building the conglomerate called Titan Sports, beginning his monopoly of the different wrestling territories, and using his marketability to create a nationally syndicated television product to showcase his top stars.

I guess you're trying to say that Vince provided the canvas for Hogan to paint on? Well, if this is your argument, I don't see how that helps. I can buy a canvas at an arts and crafts store, but the image I paint on it is what sells. No one buys a Van Gogh for the thread count.

But how can the art sell if it isn't displayed somewhere that gains attention. Why don't you show me the last time a painting became known as a worldly masterpiece by being sold at a garage sale or out of the back of someone's Buick Skylark. They buy it because it's able to be displayed in the most famous art galleries in the world, which raises its price and worth. This is called "marketing" or "promoting", which Vince is a master at.

But this doesn't really matter in the long run. Giving Vince the credit implies that he could have had the same success with anyone else. Saying that Vince made the Golden Age also implies that he made Attitude. He played a major part, a huge part, and could even be called the catalyst, however, he needed the right star to pull it off. He tried everything he could with HBK and Bret, but no one drew like Hogan and Austin. This is why Hogan made the Golden Age. He was the draw. The attraction. Vince may be a star maker, but the stars he make draw the line of demaracation between a golden age and a transition period. Austin, Hogan, and even The Rock had a charisma that Vince could just put in front of the camera. Sure, Vince called the shots, but when his stars haven't lived up to the three aforementioned guys, ratings and buyrates suffered.

Austin and The Rock being compared to Hogan? Sorry, but awful comparisons. Wrestlers are NOTHING without their promoters. Where would these stars be without Vince?? Seriously... You forget the fact that Hogan and Austin began in different territories and made nothing of themselves while there.

Austin began in the WCCW. And I know what you're thinking... he was just starting out. And you'd be right... however, Austin also went into WCW, and despite his best efforts, couldn't break through the glass ceiling since Bischoff and company was keeping him down. Then he went to ECW and was pushed as one of their main-event stars, but he still couldn't get the job done and ECW wasn't big enough for Austin to get anywhere. So Austin went to the largest promotion built from the ground-up by McMahon (the WWE), but under the "Ringmaster" moniker and, you guessed it, went NOWHERE. That is, until Vince gave the green light on allowing Austin to be what he wanted to be, which was the character that everyone loved. So, Vince MADE Austin.

The Rock wasn't much different. He was born and bred in the WWE. He was given a character to run with and couldn't get the job done, so Vince gave his blessing for him to try taking a different direction.

This is where the wrestlers do their part in building up the business of professional wrestling. Of course, they choose what kind of a personality to give to their characters, but Vince gives the final word on whether it can, will, and should be used. when it comes to the WWE, Vince makes the world go round.

Onto Hogan... did you ever hear of Hogan when he was in New Japan? How about the AWA? Even after Hogan made a cameo in Rocky III he went right back to performing on the smaller stage. The man got worldwide television exposure in a movie and couldn't capitalize on it because he wasn't a marketing machine like Vince. He got every opportunity in the world to become what Vince made him into, but he couldn't do it alone.

I point to John Cena as an example. He has the same gimmick as Hogan (adjusted for inflation), the same impressive physique, and the same appeal to the kids, but he does not capture the attention of the national audience the way Hogan did.

So, just because you mention "inflation," do you think this explains to everyone how different the times are now?? It isn't just a money issue when you try to compare Cena to Hogan. Back in the 80's, there were only about 50 channels (at best) on your television set to choose from for television programming. It's simple mathematics that prove that Hulk Hogan was MUCH easier to put in front of all of our faces back then. Now, there are close to 1000 channels on television. Without Vince McMahon, half of the world wouldn't have a clue of who John Cena was. He's been on TON of television programs, movies, talk shows, etc. and there are tons of people out there that STILL haven't heard of him. That's because it so much more difficult to cover the market these days. In the Golden Age, Hulk Hogan was only a few clicks away. And he was put on those channels because of Vince's marketing genuis.

Furthermore, when Hogan left, Vince was forced to walk out, on national TV, tell the audience, yes, I know I am perpetrating a fraud. This is fake, but tune in, because we will shock you and entertain you better than every TV show on the tube. Losing Hogan broke Vince down. Losing Vince revived Hogan.

This has little to nothing to do with the subject at hand. How does this prove that Hogan made the Golden Age? All this says is that by the time this incident occurred, Hogan had already capitalized on the fame that Vince has built for him throughout the 80's by creating Wrestlemania, syndication for his television programs, and the entire wrestling organization that made Hogan in the first place.

Was the crowd there to worship at the altar of Vince? No! The crowd was there to worship Hogan. Hogan was wrestling. I do not deny Vince's ability as a promoter. I say he is second only to PT Barnum. But, come on....the people were there to see one man. And that one man put more asses in the seats than gravity.

Once again, I will never downplay Hogan's role in the the WWF during the Golden Age. However, I must disagree about the people being there to see "one man." Vince's product stretches far beyond ONE wrestler on the roster. Hogan was NOTHING without guys like Orndorf, Piper, Andre the Giant, King Kong Bundy, Randy Savage... should I go on? And who brought all of them in and spit out the storylines for Hogan to feud with them? Vince did.

Honestly, I LOVE Hulk Hogan. And I can always appreciate what he has done for the wrestling business, but come on now. Let's get real. The REAL man behind everything that has to do with the first major "BOOM" of professional wrestling (a.k.a. Golden Age) was Vince. No pieces to the puzzle would have been put in place without Vince. Hogan was brought into the right place at the right time by Vince. Hogan didn't carry a company on his shoulders for an entire decade on his own by ONLY walking out to a ring, tearing his shirt off, and posing. He needed OTHER talent to make the formula work. Vince hired and molded this talent.

Was it Vince's vision or Hogan's presence? I would say Hogan's presence. You would too.

No I wouldn't. And I feel this way not just because this is a debate. These are not just words... I TRULY feel Vince is the man that made me watch what I watch and love what I love. You're just fooling yourself and everyone reading if you say otherwise... they all know it, too.

Earlier, in this post, you said that Piper and Hogan argued whether or not it was Hogan's winning or Piper's losing that people were there to see. Either way, they were there to see Hogan win. People came to see Hogan, and you agree with me.

You're taking my words completely out of context. If you read the rest of that section, you'd realize that I was speaking on behalf of Hogan's inability to pass credit of his successes onto the REAL hero, Vince McMahon. And I understand why Hogan feels this way, this proves my point about what makes him such a self-centered businessman. Vince made Hogan... Hogan just continues to bite the hand that feeds.

These non wrestling fans had to go to bars to see it, as it was only offered on closed circuit. PPV to the home was not an option at the time. No one traveled out of their homes to see Ali sitting in the crowd.

First of all, you just contradicted yourself. You just said people had to go to bars to see it, yet they didn't travel outside of their homes?? :headscratch: And if they didn't see it, how was it such a global success?

Furthermore, the attraction of Lauper was the Rock n Wrestling gimmick. Do you think that gimmick would have worked as well without Hogan?

Absolutely. I think anyone could've played that role if they were put in it. What makes Hogan so special? What was so "Rock and Roll" about Hulk Hogan? He was only an actor. He was molded into that gimmick and given the opportunity to do so by Vince McMahon.

Hogan was gold in front of the camera.

Yeah, Vince's camera. And he never would've been put there without Vince.

His charisma is what attracted Lauper to the event. In fact, if you don't want to credit Hogan for bringing in Lauper, you can credit Captain Lou more than McMahon.

Wait... Did you interview Lauper or something? This was nothing more than good marketing. Lauper must have been paid for her Wrestlemania appearence, and Vince signed the check. You're acting like she did it for charity of something. If you can prove otherwise, then you got me here.

I'm sorry, Vince may have made the call, but all of these celebs were trying to get the Hogan rub.

Lauper had the #1 pop song in America at the time, and she "needed the Hogan rub"? Mr. T was co-starring on the A-Team and co-starred in Rocky III, but he "needed the Hogan rub"?? Liberaci, a living legend, "needed the Hogan rub"? Ali was the most famous boxer of all time, and he "needed the Hogan rub"?!?

The fact is, Vince's insistence on maintaining kayfabe is his downfall in this debate. Now days, when it's Wrestlemania time, Vince is on every TV show promoting the shit out of it. His insistence on kayfabe made Hogan the man in front of the company. Everyone bit it hook, line, and sinker.

What does kayfabe have to do with anything? I'm not understanding your point of how it downfalls him in this debate. All I know is that Vince McMahon promoted his product. He had the right to do it in ANY way that he saw fit, as long as it generated revenue and growth. Keeping to kayfabe obviously worked in this case.

Ric Flair put over 100,000 people in the seats in communist North Korea. It's the star that fills the seats. True, MSG is the mecca of America venues, however, just getting the venue is not enough. Hogan can thank Vince for giving him a venue to sell out, but Vince should worship at Hogan's feet for selling it, and so many others, out.

Ric Flair was a completely different story than Hulk Hogan. I give Ric Flair the credit where it's due for selling that many seats in North Korea. As a matter of fact, the NWA sold out MANY arenas before Vince's marketing machine kicked them to the curb. However, all of these venues and sellouts did not create an entire era. Vince did with his vision.

Lauper was huge at the time. She was not the top star though. Michael Jackson was. Lauper joined up, I'm assuming, thinking that getting Hogan's rub would help her surpass Mike. It didn't work, but, what would?

Now this is just a crazy "pie-in-the-sky" hypothesis. She used Wrestlemania to be bigger than MJ?? Come on now... Wrestlemania wasn't the event that it is today; A PPV that is almost guaranteed to gain revenue and worldwide television exposure. Back in 1983, Wrestlemania was a myth... and idea. No one had any idea that it would turn out to be what it is today. Vince even said it himself. He put everything he had on the line and took a MAJOR gamble and it paid off. Do you really think that Cyndi Lauper was banking on its success on the level that you're suggesting? I highly doubt that.

I'm sorry, Vince picked Hogan to be out in front, because he knew that Hogan would make the cross promotion work. If Vince was responsible for the Golden Age, he would have been able to do it with anyone.

Once again, Vince didn't know anything. He took a risk. At the time, Hogan was the best card that he could play. Vince wanted to create a hero and Hogan was Vince's biggest babyface. Obviously, this never would have worked if a heel was put in Hogan's place. Which brings me to...

Can you tell me Piper would have made this work? I don't think so.

Is this a serious question? Why would Vince gamble his entire company on a heel character when his goal was to create a new era of wrestling; one that would motivate younger viewers with athleticism, role models, and larger-than-life superHERO characters?? He didn't want to portray the horrible image of a villain leading his company into the promise land. Vince thrusted Hogan into the spotlight and created a chain reaction that gave birth to a new superstar. Once again, Vince made Hogan.

Wrestling fans call the night Vince premiered his show on Turner Broadcasing "Black Saturday." The show lasted less than a year due to complaints that it wasn't a southern territorial show. If nothing else, this shows that Vince couldn't beat Georgia Championship Wrestling. Meanwhile, Hogan overcame this to become an international icon. Vince had a vision for that timeslot, and failed.

Vince isn't perfect, and neither are you, me OR Hogan. He's human, he took a risk and it didn't pay off. That was a mere speedbump in his conquest for total domination of the wrestling industry. However, he appeared to learn from his mistakes, wouldn't you say?

Now, closed circuit is another story. It is true that Vince secured the deal, but why did people go to their local bar to see the event? Hogan. No one left their homes to see how Vince used closed circuit in some kind of technology exposition. They went to see Hogan.

This debate isn't about the stars who people tuned in to watch Wrestlemania for. It's about who made/created an era. Hell, we all know that people don't watch 24 to see Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran. They tune in to see Jack Bauer. But Jack Bauer didn't make 24... Keifer Sutherland merely acted in it. The same goes for Terry Bolea/Hulk Hogan.

So, Vince should get mentioned in Hogan's acknowledgments, but in no way, shape, or form is providing a canvas anything close to as important as what goes on that canvas. Bad analogy.

Maybe not when talking about a painting. But when people talk about who made the light bulb, they speak about Thomas Edison... not GE. And when it comes to a world television conglomerate like Titan Sports and the WWE, people talk about Vince McMahon. Turn on any news channel such as ESPN, ABC, NBC, take your pick... when they mention the WWE's inception, do they talk about Hulk Hogan creating it? Hell no. They all say one name... McMahon.

Vince has quite the eye for talent. When was the last time the scouting department was World Series MVP?

I guess that means that Forrest Griffin is the Hulk Hogan of the UFC, right? I mean he's the one that won the big fight at the end of the Ultimate Fighter, creating the chain reaction of great ratings and blowing the UFC into the stratusphere. God forbid we give Dana White any credit, right??

Entertainment versus mainstream sports. Apples and Oranges.

Would Vince have been able to get this show on the air without a star like Hogan? I don't think so. Even today, Bonnie Hammer (head of programming for NBC Universal) gives Vince shit over the lack of starpower.

I said it before and I’ll say it again… this is a different time, different era, different market, and a different audience. John Cena is doing things no differently than Hogan did. If Hogan began his career in today’s market, he’d be a complete and utter failure and you know it.

And if Wrestlemania was on every week with no off seasons and brand new episodes, while competing with over 900 other channels to watch, all happening for the past 16 years, I’m sure that the heads of the PPV channel would be singing the same tune.

Vince's idea have been amazing, but it is the stars that have executed them that brought in the fans. The 80's are described as a Golden Age because the WWE was printing money. They did so on the back of Hogan. Vince put him in a good situation, but he's done that numerous times over the years, and it never worked like Hogan made it work. Austin may have been a comparable draw for a while, but not for the length of time, nor was he nearly as immersed in the national sporting and pop culture consciousness in the way that Hogan was. Hogan was the chicken and the egg. Vince was the guy who built the coop.

Twisting my analogy into a funny little quip does not make it true, nor does it make it gain validity. Vince pulled Hogan’s strings in every way, shape and form. Vince approved everything Hogan was to say, wear, and do while being on a WWF platform. Vince’s father gave Hogan his name. Vince gave Hogan a title belt. Vince gave Hogan a main event spot in the biggest show he ever promoted. Vince made everything about Hogan, and he is the egg. That may not sound as cute as your comment, but it sure makes more sense.

But even if Vince is the enabler, that doesn't make him the reason for the Golden Age. As I have said, he has presented many charismatic, athletic stars with the same opportunity, but he can't do it again. Vince's failures to repeat the success at least have to be considered circumstantial evidence that Hogan was more responsible than Vince. The ratings and ticket sales will provide more hard evidence.

Once again, it was a totally different market back then with SO many factors that come into play, all of which I won’t repeat again. As for him not repeating his success again, I think the Attitude Era was successful enough to prove your theory incorrect. That era made a TON more money than the Golden Age ever did and that is the name of the game. And the popularity of that era came from competition with a rival promotion… not a single superstar. So this proves that one pro-wrestler doesn’t make an era… a promotion does. This promotion is Vince McMahon’s creation, from top to bottom.

I still think Hogan was the chicken and the egg. He laid :)lmao:) the framework for the future of the business, and then hatched the next Golden Age. Hogan was the catalyst behind both Golden Ages.

And I still think the exact opposite. Hence, our debate.

I kind of agree here about Vince keeping wrestling alive. Unfortunately, this topic isn't about the long term viability of wrestling. Vince did a great job of taking the capital and exposure provided to him because of Hogan and sustaining a business through scandal, exposure, and government pressure, but the good faith of the American people exists because of their love of Hogan.

Once again, leave it to you to take the last sentence of that paragraph and take it completely out of context. Prior my statement in regards to longevity, I was explaining about how Vince took a product that was localized in different territories and shown on only local television stations and built it so it could be accessible to the rest of the world. He took Hulk Hogan and presented him to the worldwide audience for all of you to begin to know and love. And if it weren’t for Vince, we wouldn’t be able to continue to view it to this day.

Hogan and Vince truly needed each other,

This is the most agreeable thing stated throughout this entire debate. It’s true in every sense of the phrase.

but I think, Hogan provided the basis for wrestling today. Hogan was the catalyst for all of Vince's expansions. Hogan truly is the chicken and the egg. Vince provided the venue, or canvas, for Hogan to paint his masterpieces, but the brushstrokes were Hogan's.

Nah, Vince created the egg that hatched Hogan. He is the God of professional wrestling.

When you make something, you create it. The thing that was created was an era. Hogan didn't create anything. There is no amount of debating that can change the fact that Vince McMahon MADE wrestling, MADE Wrestlemania, and MADE the Golden Age of wrestling.

First and foremost, I think the debate question needs to be repeated here...

OK, so I'm guessing you're saying made means created? I think made means something different. I think it implies who was responsible for the massive growth. By your definition the writers made the Golden Era. But someone had to deliver the promise that began in the back room. That person was Hogan.

Many of the arguments that FTS made here were spawn from Hogan's star power. Once again, if anyone was a "catalyst" in making the Golden Age of professional wrestling (as you keep repeating), it was Hogan.

As much as I know all of our readers would enjoy a linguistics debate, I would still argue that someone had to execute the plans.
I know that a lot of times in debates one person will put words in the other debater's mouth, and I feel it's being done here. Let's not think for one second that I don't give Hogan credit where credit is due. The role he played in helping Vince make the Golden Age was HUGE... but like I said, he only played a part in it.

I never said that at all. I never said you didn't give Hogan the credit. I never said Vince didn't deserve any of it either. I just feel that it's a 51-49 debate, and Hogan deserves the 51.

I don't remember saying that Vince came before wrestling... I said Vince's business deals and inner workings came FAR before Hogan was thrusted into the spotlight by Vince to give him the opportunity to shine.

Semantics. But you are right. Vince thrust Hogan into the spotlight, like he thrust HBK into the spot light. Who succeeded? Hogan. Why? Because he is a star, and can carry a promotion on his back. HBK's back broke.

Ok... you asked for it.

I'll bring the lube.

Well, this completely proves that without Vince's business sense, dreams, goals, and drives there wouldn't be a product like there is today, or the one that was made back in the 80's. So where does Hogan come into this? Vince brough him in after building the conglomerate called Titan Sports, beginning his monopoly of the different wrestling territories, and using his marketability to create a nationally syndicated television product to showcase his top stars.

But Vince's business sense merely provided a canvas. I'm sorry, but Van Gogh was the star, Da Vinci was the star, not the loom operator who gave them a medium. The paint mixer wasn't the star. Da Vinci.

But how can the art sell if it isn't displayed somewhere that gains attention. Why don't you show me the last time a painting became known as a worldly masterpiece by being sold at a garage sale or out of the back of someone's Buick Skylark. They buy it because it's able to be displayed in the most famous art galleries in the world, which raises its price and worth. This is called "marketing" or "promoting", which Vince is a master at.

But how can a gallery stay open without masterpieces to show? What is the draw to an art gallery if it's a bunch of finger paintings?

Austin and The Rock being compared to Hogan? Sorry, but awful comparisons. Wrestlers are NOTHING without their promoters. Where would these stars be without Vince??

OK, fine, Vince made Austin and The Rock. Hogan made Vince.

Seriously... You forget the fact that Hogan and Austin began in different territories and made nothing of themselves while there.

I wouldn't say nothing. Hogan was huge in Japan. And remember, this is in a day where everyone started someone else. It's true that Vince gave them the venue on which to excel, but do you honestly think that the product would have taken off the way it did with Piper in Hogan's place? There's no way. Hogan's charisma is what made the product take off. Vince deserves a lot of the credit, but in this instance, I think that Hogan's charisma, timing, and delivery made Vince's gamble pay off.

Austin began in the WCCW. And I know what you're thinking... he was just starting out. And you'd be right... however, Austin also went into WCW, and despite his best efforts, couldn't break through the glass ceiling since Bischoff and company was keeping him down. Then he went to ECW and was pushed as one of their main-event stars, but he still couldn't get the job done and ECW wasn't big enough for Austin to get anywhere. So Austin went to the largest promotion built from the ground-up by McMahon (the WWE), but under the "Ringmaster" moniker and, you guessed it, went NOWHERE. That is, until Vince gave the green light on allowing Austin to be what he wanted to be, which was the character that everyone loved. So, Vince MADE Austin.

Austin made himself a star after he won King of the Ring. I know, Vince booked him to do so. But, Vince booked Mabel to win, and he never took off. Vince booked Hogan to be at the top of the company, but he also booked HBK, Warrior, HHH, and Cena to be at the top, and none of them could duplicate the success of The Hulkster. You can combine timing with Vince's vision all you want. Someone had to be there to take the reigns and gallop into the limelight, and that was Hogan.

The Rock wasn't much different. He was born and bred in the WWE. He was given a character to run with and couldn't get the job done, so Vince gave his blessing for him to try taking a different direction.

Right, he said, "Hey Rocky, go out there and be you, because my idea failed." Vince's vision here was a failure. Vince has had more misses than hits over time, it's just that his three biggest hits were Hogan, Austin, and The Rock, all of whom were given the power to be themselves and determine their direction. If Vince having a Laissez-Faire attitude with his biggest stars is what should give him credit, I think we're putting the cart before the horse.

This is where the wrestlers do their part in building up the business of professional wrestling. Of course, they choose what kind of a personality to give to their characters, but Vince gives the final word on whether it can, will, and should be used. when it comes to the WWE, Vince makes the world go round.

But just giving them a gimmick doesn't always do it. Dustin Rhodes made Golddust work. Randy Savage made the Macho Man work. If Vince was truly this gifted persona giver, Savio Vega, Justin Credible, Rocky Maivia, etc. would have worked. Vince fails as much as he succeeds. His success are due to the astronomical amount of charisma that his top stars have, and his forcing himself to sit back and let them run with it.

Onto Hogan... did you ever hear of Hogan when he was in New Japan? How about the AWA?

Wasn't born yet.

Even after Hogan made a cameo in Rocky III he went right back to performing on the smaller stage. The man got worldwide television exposure in a movie and couldn't capitalize on it because he wasn't a marketing machine like Vince. He got every opportunity in the world to become what Vince made him into, but he couldn't do it alone.

OK, so Vince is a great promoter. I already agreed with you there. Vince's promotional skills helped get the undercard over, but Hogan was the top draw, and it was because of how he played the character. When he is on the mic or in the ring, Vince's job is done. He has to execute. He put those people in the seats.

So, just because you mention "inflation," do you think this explains to everyone how different the times are now?? It isn't just a money issue when you try to compare Cena to Hogan. Back in the 80's, there were only about 50 channels (at best) on your television set to choose from for television programming.

But wrestling was mostly syndicated, so it was harder to find. People made a point of finding Hogan.

It's simple mathematics that prove that Hulk Hogan was MUCH easier to put in front of all of our faces back then. Now, there are close to 1000 channels on television. Without Vince McMahon, half of the world wouldn't have a clue of who John Cena was. He's been on TON of television programs, movies, talk shows, etc. and there are tons of people out there that STILL haven't heard of him. That's because it so much more difficult to cover the market these days.

OK, so Vince made Cena. You can even say Vince made Hogan. But once Hogan was made, he pulled the WWF into the golden age. Being popular is one thing, being popular and doing something with it is another. Hogan did something with it.

In the Golden Age, Hulk Hogan was only a few clicks away. And he was put on those channels because of Vince's marketing genuis.

Vince is a great promoter, but no one can promote something that isn't awesome. Billy Mays could never have made KoKo B. Ware the star Hogan was.

This has little to nothing to do with the subject at hand. How does this prove that Hogan made the Golden Age? All this says is that by the time this incident occurred, Hogan had already capitalized on the fame that Vince has built for him throughout the 80's by creating Wrestlemania, syndication for his television programs, and the entire wrestling organization that made Hogan in the first place.

But we're not debating who made whom, we're debating that once they were both made, who had more responsibility for the boom period resulting from the success of Wrestlemania. Hogan slamming Andre is something that Andre had to agree to and Hogan had to execute, with a hernia. This is the most iconic image in wrestling. This is what made the Golden Age. Vince's ideas were huge, absolutely necessary, to make it happen, but I argue that he needed the right person to execute the ideas. There was no one else on the roster that could have executed the ideas so well and with such massive appeal as Hogan. They were both necessary to the boom period, but Vince could not have done it without Hogan, and I think Hogan DID do it, a few years later, without Vince. Vince and Hogan may have made each other, but Hogan started both boom periods, and Vince capitalized on the errors of WCW to overtake them, but did not in fact start the Golden Age. He finished it.

Once again, I will never downplay Hogan's role in the the WWF during the Golden Age. However, I must disagree about the people being there to see "one man." Vince's product stretches far beyond ONE wrestler on the roster

I don't think it was one man, I think it was two. I just think Hogan was more responsible.

Hogan was NOTHING without guys like Orndorf, Piper, Andre the Giant, King Kong Bundy, Randy Savage... should I go on? And who brought all of them in and spit out the storylines for Hogan to feud with them? Vince did.

I think that those guys, with the exception of Andre, were nothing without Hogan. IN the 80's people went to shows to see the characters. Hogan was the top character, and he filled the areans that Vince paid for. He painted on the canvas Vince made. He laid the egg, scrambled it, ate the chicken, and then made more.

Honestly, I LOVE Hulk Hogan. And I can always appreciate what he has done for the wrestling business, but come on now. Let's get real. The REAL man behind everything that has to do with the first major "BOOM" of professional wrestling (a.k.a. Golden Age) was Vince. No pieces to the puzzle would have been put in place without Vince. Hogan was brought into the right place at the right time by Vince. Hogan didn't carry a company on his shoulders for an entire decade on his own by ONLY walking out to a ring, tearing his shirt off, and posing. He needed OTHER talent to make the formula work. Vince hired and molded this talent.

Well, yes, heroes do need villains. I grant you that. But what made them villainous? It was their opposition of Hogan that made them evil. The Macho Man, kayfabe, may have been in the right in his feud against Hogan, but Hogan's star power did more to turn Savage than Savage's actions.

No I wouldn't. And I feel this way not just because this is a debate. These are not just words... I TRULY feel Vince is the man that made me watch what I watch and love what I love. You're just fooling yourself and everyone reading if you say otherwise... they all know it, too.

That is quite an indictment. I do appreciate your confidence in my ability to fool the people, but that is not my intent.

You're taking my words completely out of context. If you read the rest of that section, you'd realize that I was speaking on behalf of Hogan's inability to pass credit of his successes onto the REAL hero, Vince McMahon.

And vice cersa. These men have the two biggest egos in the world.

And I understand why Hogan feels this way, this proves my point about what makes him such a self-centered businessman. Vince made Hogan... Hogan just continues to bite the hand that feeds.

Then maybe Vince should stop offering his hand to Hogan?

First of all, you just contradicted yourself.

No I didn't. You didn't read carefully enough.

You just said people had to go to bars to see it, yet they didn't travel outside of their homes??

You got it wrong. I said people went to the bars to see Hogan. The reason they left their homes was not see Ali sitting ringside. Is that phrased a little bit easier? Read the whole sentence. I think it flows fine, but the point still stands. Ali was a side attraction. People went to see Hogan, Ali's being there just made it seem like it was a bigger deal. Hogan was the reason people saw Ali there, not the other way around.

:headscratch: And if they didn't see it, how was it such a global success?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. I never said no saw it. I said no one watched it too see Liberace. They watched it to see Hogan.

Absolutely. I think anyone could've played that role if they were put in it. What makes Hogan so special? What was so "Rock and Roll" about Hulk Hogan? He was only an actor. He was molded into that gimmick and given the opportunity to do so by Vince McMahon.

You don't honestly think anyone could have done it. You can't. How do you explain the ratings and buyrate failures of HBK, Warrior, and to a certain extent Bret Hart

Yeah, Vince's camera. And he never would've been put there without Vince.

Well, the NFL provides the football. Did they make the game a phenomenon, or did the speed and talent of the players. If anyone could do it as long as the venue was provided, why don't you and I rent out Reliant Stadium and buy some panties and go at it? Because we are not Hulk Hogan.

Wait... Did you interview Lauper or something? This was nothing more than good marketing. Lauper must have been paid for her Wrestlemania appearence, and Vince signed the check. You're acting like she did it for charity of something. If you can prove otherwise, then you got me here.

You are so far away from the spirit of the debate here. The celebrities went got paid, fine. the rub from being associated with Hulk Hogan was far bigger to them. Let me ask you a question. In the 1980's do you think a larger segment of the MTV audience watched wrestling, or the wrestling audience watching Lauper? I would venture it was the former. It was beneficial for these celebrities to be associated with Hogan.

Lauper had the #1 pop song in America at the time, and she "needed the Hogan rub"?

Chumawumba had the number one song at one point. Lauper needed to be exposed to a new audience. More MTV watchers, a young demographic, watched wrestling, than wrestling fans, at the time an older demographic, watched MTV.

Mr. T was co-starring on the A-Team and co-starred in Rocky III, but he "needed the Hogan rub"??

Hogan was bigger at the time, Mr T was huge, but Hogan was bigger.

Liberaci, a living legend, "needed the Hogan rub"?

He was past his prime, so yes.

Ali was the most famous boxer of all time, and he "needed the Hogan rub"?!?

No, but WM did serve to remind the public of his greatness. For him, it was legacy building.

What does kayfabe have to do with anything? I'm not understanding your point of how it downfalls him in this debate. All I know is that Vince McMahon promoted his product. He had the right to do it in ANY way that he saw fit, as long as it generated revenue and growth. Keeping to kayfabe obviously worked in this case.

By your logic, Sony made Mariah Carey, not her talents. Except that she has number one hits, so she's a big deal on her own. Apparently the talents of Cyndi Lauper made her a star, but the talents of Hulk Hogan didn't.

Watch any MTV retrospective. The board members will say that, yeah, they provided a venue for the artists, but the artists made the network. Michael Jackson, Cyndi Lauper, they made MTV. In much the same way, Hogan....

Ric Flair was a completely different story than Hulk Hogan. I give Ric Flair the credit where it's due for selling that many seats in North Korea. As a matter of fact, the NWA sold out MANY arenas before Vince's marketing machine kicked them to the curb. However, all of these venues and sellouts did not create an entire era. Vince did with his vision.

It just goes to show that the stars draw the ticket sales, the viewers, the merchandise sales. Vince makes the shirts, but Hogan sells them.

Now this is just a crazy "pie-in-the-sky" hypothesis. She used Wrestlemania to be bigger than MJ?? Come on now... Wrestlemania wasn't the event that it is today; A PPV that is almost guaranteed to gain revenue and worldwide television exposure. Back in 1983, Wrestlemania was a myth... and idea. No one had any idea that it would turn out to be what it is today. Vince even said it himself.

Awesome. I'm glad you said this. What made it the success it is today. HULK HOGAN!!! Case closed.

He put everything he had on the line and took a MAJOR gamble and it paid off. Do you really think that Cyndi Lauper was banking on its success on the level that you're suggesting? I highly doubt that.

I never said that she banked on that one appearance making her that big. The entire Rock n Wrestling angle was supposed to help her. It did, for a time. Her annoying voice was her downfall.

Once again, Vince didn't know anything. He took a risk. At the time, Hogan was the best card that he could play. Vince wanted to create a hero and Hogan was Vince's biggest babyface. Obviously, this never would have worked if a heel was put in Hogan's place. Which brings me to...

It wouldn't have worked if anyone was in Hogan's place. This is evidenced by the string of failures between Hogan and Austin.

Is this a serious question? Why would Vince gamble his entire company on a heel character when his goal was to create a new era of wrestling; one that would motivate younger viewers with athleticism, role models, and larger-than-life superHERO characters?? He didn't want to portray the horrible image of a villain leading his company into the promise land. Vince thrusted Hogan into the spotlight and created a chain reaction that gave birth to a new superstar. Once again, Vince made Hogan.

Once Hogan was in the spotlight, he had to do something with it. He did what NO ONE ELSE could have done.

Vince isn't perfect, and neither are you, me OR Hogan. He's human, he took a risk and it didn't pay off. That was a mere speedbump in his conquest for total domination of the wrestling industry. However, he appeared to learn from his mistakes, wouldn't you say?

Wholeheartedly. But how long did it take to replicate that success? And once he did, he was still succeeding by playing off of Hogan.

This debate isn't about the stars who people tuned in to watch Wrestlemania for. It's about who made/created an era. Hell, we all know that people don't watch 24 to see Joel Surnow and Robert Cochran. They tune in to see Jack Bauer. But Jack Bauer didn't make 24... Keifer Sutherland merely acted in it. The same goes for Terry Bolea/Hulk Hogan.

Jack Bauer does make that show. He is the central character. He is the draw. He didn't CREATE the show. He MAKES it what it is. He is why people watch.

Maybe not when talking about a painting. But when people talk about who made the light bulb, they speak about Thomas Edison... not GE.

Exactly, the man....not the company. Thanks.

And when it comes to a world television conglomerate like Titan Sports and the WWE, people talk about Vince McMahon. Turn on any news channel such as ESPN, ABC, NBC, take your pick... when they mention the WWE's inception, do they talk about Hulk Hogan creating it? Hell no. They all say one name... McMahon.

You're taking this off topic. Use context clues. We aren't talking about who created the WWE. That's not debatable. We're talking about who was more responsible for the boom period of the 80's.

I guess that means that Forrest Griffin is the Hulk Hogan of the UFC, right? I mean he's the one that won the big fight at the end of the Ultimate Fighter, creating the chain reaction of great ratings and blowing the UFC into the stratusphere. God forbid we give Dana White any credit, right??

No, but where would Dana White be if he was promoting me vs. you. It's the fighters. It's Brock Lesnar. He's the draw. Why are you trying to debate creation over responsibility. Up at the top, you were debating that Vince was responsible, which is the point. Down here, you're trying to say that Vince made the company so he made the Golden Era. We know that Vince made the company. It's just that what Hogan did for that company was more responsible for the boom

Entertainment versus mainstream sports. Apples and Oranges.

OK, so in one sentence, you compare the WWE to the UFC, a sport, and in the next, you say they can't be compared? WTF? Now that's not an attempt to put me into an unfair premise is it? Still, I ask, when was the last time a GM, the man who put the players into their roles, won World Series MVP?

I said it before and I’ll say it again… this is a different time, different era, different market, and a different audience. John Cena is doing things no differently than Hogan did. If Hogan began his career in today’s market, he’d be a complete and utter failure and you know it.

Hogan started this era. Most of these characters are toned down Attitude characters.

And if Wrestlemania was on every week with no off seasons and brand new episodes, while competing with over 900 other channels to watch, all happening for the past 16 years, I’m sure that the heads of the PPV channel would be singing the same tune.

OK, once again, you're struggling with context. I am saying that the success of Hogan is what gave Raw the capital to go in and ask for a Prime Time Slot.

Twisting my analogy into a funny little quip does not make it true, nor does it make it gain validity. Vince pulled Hogan’s strings in every way, shape and form. Vince approved everything Hogan was to say, wear, and do while being on a WWF platform. Vince’s father gave Hogan his name. Vince gave Hogan a title belt. Vince gave Hogan a main event spot in the biggest show he ever promoted. Vince made everything about Hogan, and he is the egg. That may not sound as cute as your comment, but it sure makes more sense.

Are you really talking about trying to be cute when your whole first post was analogy filled and based on chickens, eggs, and paintings? I like you man, but it seems like what's good for the goose isn't good for the gander here. But I still argue, that no one else could have taken the reigns the way Hogan did and do what he did with the company. If it was that easy, Vince would never ratings dips, HBK would be on the same level as Hogan. Instead, Vince succeeded with and then lost to Hogan. Hogan is the catalyst behind the last two boom periods. It doesn't matter what's written if it can't be executed properly on TV. No one else could have executed like Hogan.

Once again, it was a totally different market back then with SO many factors that come into play, all of which I won’t repeat again. As for him not repeating his success again, I think the Attitude Era was successful enough to prove your theory incorrect.

But all he did was leach off of of Hogan until Bischoff fucked up and then seized control again. Hogan started the Attitude Era, in WCW.

That era made a TON more money than the Golden Age ever did and that is the name of the game. And the popularity of that era came from competition with a rival promotion… not a single superstar.

Does WCW ever come close to competing without Hogan? Fuck no.

So this proves that one pro-wrestler doesn’t make an era… a promotion does. This promotion is Vince McMahon’s creation, from top to bottom.

Quite the opposite. The promotion might be Vince's, but those checks he cashes came on the back of the Hulkster.

And I still think the exact opposite. Hence, our debate.

Thank goodness. This is fun though, huh?

Once again, leave it to you to take the last sentence of that paragraph and take it completely out of context. Prior my statement in regards to longevity, I was explaining about how Vince took a product that was localized in different territories and shown on only local television stations and built it so it could be accessible to the rest of the world. He took Hulk Hogan and presented him to the worldwide audience for all of you to begin to know and love. And if it weren’t for Vince, we wouldn’t be able to continue to view it to this day.

True. Hogan made the boom, and Vince sustained it's momentum through peaks and valleys. They both deserve quite a bit of credit. But everything you said is not about the Golden Era. Hogan's ability to get people to rally behind him is what made that era.

This is the most agreeable thing stated throughout this entire debate. It’s true in every sense of the phrase.

It's what makes this contentious. There are plenty of arguments on both side.

Nah, Vince created the egg that hatched Hogan. He is the God of professional wrestling.

But, while he created the WWE, it's massive spike in success during the early and mid 80's was due to Hogan.

And Vince also created the egg that hatched the Gobbledygooker. Let's not forget that Vince's vision sometimes gets in the way of his thinking.

When you make something, you create it. The thing that was created was an era. Hogan didn't create anything. There is no amount of debating that can change the fact that Vince McMahon MADE wrestling, MADE Wrestlemania, and MADE the Golden Age of wrestling.

Earlier you said he didn't make wrestling. You said:

Vince created Wrestlemania, Hogan made it the spectacle that it is. And the Golden Age existed on the back of Hogan.

First and foremost, for the sake of sparing everyone from scrolling down this debate page for miles and miles (since line by line responses are getting much longer and becoming a more tedious reply process), I'm going to reply to FTS's latest response without quoting any of his previous passages, word-for-word. However, since many of our arguments have been very redundant, I will reference and consolidate our arguments along the way. For the record, this is not a "fear tactic" and in no way am I trying to dodge any points that FTS made. In the interest of a cleaner debate, I am merely trying to make things easier for everyone. On that note...

There is a significant back and forth argument in this debate in regards to the stars of the Attitude Era and PG Era versus the stars (or star) of the Golden Era. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you cannot compare individual stars in these eras for a few reasons...

First of all, the Golden Era was a blank slate. The only true, established stars in the American market of that era weren't even in the WWF. They were a part of the only national rival promotion, the NWA. (I'm speaking of stars such as Harley Race and Ric Flair.) And while competition was happening between all of the different territories back then while utilizing the NWA, once Vince Jr. stepped in and took the reigns of the WWWF, the entire landscape changed. In the interest of competition, Vince built a giant organization... one that was to conquer all other areas and corner the pro-wrestling market. He succeeded because he put all of the pieces in the right place... not because of one star. Once again, Hogan was a HUUUUGE part of this. However, there are so many OTHER parts involved in this process that overshadowed even what Hogan accomplished. I'll get into them in a little while...

The Attitude Era was only a huge boom because it was an era of competition. By the mid-1990's, there were TONS of established superstars in the WWF, and the business of professional wrestling had already become a very popular commodity to America's television audience. There really wasn't much for them to compete with, since the Golden Age they had built cornered the market for the time being. But this was until Eric Bischoff took the reigns with WCW in the same way that Vince McMahon did with the WWF. Under his guidance, the landscape of WCW changed along with the entire business of professional wrestling, just the way it did in the Golden Age of the WWF. And as far as your argument about star power is concerned, Hogan wasn't the only person that made WCW into a player back then. Scott Hall and Kevin Nash were the first ones to jump to WCW. Then, it snowballed from all of the different (former) WWF talent jumping ship. Hogan followed and the NWO was created, but all three stars had equal share in its rise to being #1 in the market. So we can't count Hogan as being the sole "savior" here. As a matter of fact, from the perspective in how the business in WCW was handled and molded, it was all Bischoff's doing.

The PG Era pretty much speaks for itself. It has no competition (besides TNA and ROH who aren't much competition at all right now) and the only previously established stars left on the roster from the previous boom are HHH, HBK, Undertaker, Jericho, and a few others.

So, my point is that eras that came after the Golden Age can easily piggy-back off each others' previous stars, but none of this defines who is more responsible for making the Golden Age. Individuals (such as Hogan) did a great job of making themselves into stars, but they did not (nor can they) create an era. There are too many different factors involved to narrow it down to just one person's star power. Similar to what I've said in previous posts, a professional wrestling organization is a well oiled machine. That machine has key parts, such as the engine. There is no doubt that Hogan was the engine, and possibly the transmission as well. But there are still TONS of other small parts that need to all be in place for the vehicle to run. Collectively, all of those other pieces, no matter what way you slice it, outweigh the key pieces such as the engine and transmission. And Vince put them all in place. He was the "mechanic" and the "creator of General Motors". He was the one that gathered all of these parts, combined them together in the correct configuration, turned the key, started the vehicle, and steered while Hogan drove it.

FTS mentioned that Hogan's slamming of Andre "made the Golden Age" which couldn't be further from the truth. It has clearly been documented that the Golden Age began after the birth of Wrestlemania. I will admit that Hogan helped it steamrole for many years following, but McMahon played just as important of a part, and the era was made as a result of the success of the first one. The Wrestlemania concept, players, production, idea, and structure came from Vince McMahon. He played the majority of the parts that were necessary for all of this to happen.

You also mention Ric Flair drawing record crowds all over the world. This is the basis for your argument that the star makes the promotion. However, did Flair's sellouts start an "era"? Obviously it did not, so this argument doesn't apply. Of course, we're debating about McMahon vs. Hogan, so we're both in agreement here that Ric Flair has no business being in this debate, nor does the argument that wrestlers make their promotions. Hogan was an anomaly... his popularity outweighs and outshines every other professional wrestler to ever lace up their boots. I'll never discredit that. But giving credit to him for creating an era of professional wrestling? I think that's taking thing a bit far. He packed the stadiums and drew the crowds, but the creation of an era is about so much more than that.

An era is defined on the web as "A period of time characterized by particular circumstances, events, or personages." An example they give in the definition was the "Reagan Era." This era was named after Ronald Reagan because he single-handedly changed the landscape of our country during his presidency. Now, if Hogan single-handedly changed the landscape of professional wrestling, then the official name would have been the "Hogan Era". (Wrestling fans sometimes refer to it as that, but it isn't the official name.) Pro-wrestling historians refer to it as the Golden Era because it was about the entire landscape and transformation of professional wrestling changing, all stemming from one particular event... Wrestlemania. And it's not referring to just the main event of Wrestlemania, but the entire event as a whole. This event wasn't put together by Hulk Hogan. He might have been a big help in filling the seats, but he took place in one match during that monumental event. The rest of the event was put together from all of the other pieces (it's promotion, marketing, other matches, etc.) of the "vehicle" that were gathered by Vince McMahon.

I like the way you stated this previously. Just as your theory was that Hogan had a "51" compared to Vince's "49", if you think about things from a business perspective (since the Golden Era was about the business of professional wrestling and not the growth of specific wrestlers' star power), it's more like Vince had 50%, Hogan had 49%, and all of the other factors including other talent, business decisions, audiences's opinions, marketing value, merchandise sales, etc. were 1%. This cannot be denied. There are just too many (non-documented) things that Vince did during the Golden Age that meant so much more to the business of professional wrestling than what Hulk Hogan had done. Once again, Hogan was such a huge part of it, but anything that was utilized under the umbrella that Vince opened will always count as HIS doing... plain and simple. In summation, Vince made the Golden Era.

I will be away for the rest of the weekend, so this will be my final post in this week's debate. However, I shouldn't need to post again. Case closed.

First of all, consolidation was a good idea and I was hoping that this would be the point where it happened. Frankly, I didn't have another hour to type to [/quote] 75 times. :lmao:

But anyway, I think we can boil this whole debate down to just a few factors.

1. We're looking at whether star power or behind the scenes maneuvering is a more crucial element to a boom period in wrestling. Now, D-Man contends that Hogan would have no venue to sell out without McMahon. I contend that the venue doesn't matter if you can't sell tickets the way Hogan can. Both are valid arguments. I feel that Hogan's contribution here is a bit more important. Hogan sold the tickets, Vince printed them. It is true that the venue is important. But it doesn't matter if you have Azteca Stadium and 100,000 seats, if you can't get the people to fill them. It doesn't matter if you invent PPV, much less revoultionize it, if you don't have the star to draw the buys. Vince had the WWF, as a consolidated entity, and it did not have the success it did before Hogan. Vince may have put him in the spotlight, but Hogan had to do something with it.

2. Hogan serves so many roles beyond just wrestling. His presence elevates whomever he is in the ring with. All of these other stars that "Vince created" during that era where the result of Hogan's rub. Let's put it this way, Vince decided that the toughest barber in the world was a good gimmick for his midcard. How would this ever be considered a good idea? Insert Hogan, and this guy is entrenched as a big star in the 80's. Hogan was at least as necessary as Vince to get over some of the ridiculous ideas (Rock N Wrestling) and gimmicks (Brutus Beefcake), and I would argue moreso, in that no matter what Vince did, it was Hogan's charisma who had to drag them along in his matches.

3. Hogan's contribution is shown to be more vital, because he almost took Vince over in the second boom period he started. When he left for WCW, he took a regional company with a national TV contract, much the same as TBS was a regional network with a national contract, and made into the number one company in the world. Hogan's supremacy in this argument is evidenced here. With or without Vince, Hogan is the draw. Hogan is who fills the seats. Hogan is the cash camel. Vince provided him a venue to be a star, but Hogan took that opportunity and reached levels similar to Michael Jackson. Vince wasn't able to repeat this success without Hogan. Eventually, the WWE did come back, but at that point, David Arquette and Booker T were at the top of the company. The people followed Hogan, not Vince.

Clarity Of Debate: Great debate guys, on really an interesting subject. I think they had a certain match to prove this before, but this time we used our words. I like the analogy of A Chicken and an Egg... and I laughed at FTS's analogy disproving it. Nice layouts boys (though I think you are like 4 and 40 years older than I am) but I have to give it to d-d-d-Dmanville..

Punctuality: None of y'all were late, so TM gets this point.

Informative: Tons brought up here, good job, you looked back on your wrestling Diaries here. I really think Dman brought the best information in here to prove his points.

Emotionality: FTS. He showed his best emotion of the entire league in his posts here.

Persuasion: I really think that this debate can go either way, but I think I lean more towards Vince here, and that is probably because of Lee's points in his debate. If I could, I would put Lee in here to clean up some points in this debate. But since I'm not Vince, I cannot. Well I am sure I could, but Dman hates triple threats... However, I have to pick amongst these two debates. Dman had the points, FTS had the emotion. Dman made me think a lot about what Vince has done, and did do to establish the biggest story line probably ever. But I supported what FTS said best, it was Hogan who helped his angle a lot more, and his angle carried the era.

TM rates this Dman 2 points to FTS 2.

Clarity of Debate: Unlike TM, I didn't like the chicken/egg angle. It didn't fit... But you guys put across your points very well. But I'm gonna give this one to FTS.

Informative: D-Man did a better job of backing up his points there.

Emotionality: FTS, passion in his arguements.

Persuasion: Personally, I've tried to never think about this issue before. But after reading this, I'm gonna side with FTS's arguments. His arguements made alot of sense, and he had some great counter-points.

D-Man 1 FTS 3

It might be for who was more punctual... better ask TM.

I may be shooting myself in the foot here.

No one gets the point because no one was late. Maximum of 5 points a round, but there can be less.

Clarity: I thought the Chicken and Egg analogy was top notch. A great debate, but I have to go with the D-Man.

Point: The D-Man

Punctuality: Both on time.

Point: Split

Informative: Both brought some very good information, but I feel D-Man brought a little bit more.

Emotion: FTS brought a lot of enthusiasm to his side, as did D-Man. It is very difficult to choose, but I really think FTS was pushing harder (just barely) for Hogan.

Point: fromthesouth

Persuasion: I have always believed that an owner has to make the venue before someone can come along and make said venue huge. Point awarded to D-Man.

CH David scores this D-Man 3.5, fromthesouth 1.5.

Clarity Of Debate: Both debaters outlined their arguments nicely.

Punctuality: Both debaters were punctual.

Informative: I'll give D-Man the point here. You brought in a lot of information, and it was all relevant to some degree.

Point: D-Man

Emotionality: I'm tempted to split the point here, and I will. Both debaters were quick to rebut.

Persuasion: I already said that the chicken and the egg analogy was awkward in the Debater's League Bar Room thread, and I stick by my initial judgment. Being concise is a virtue, D-Man. I would have been inclined to give you the edge in this debate if it weren't for so many flowery irrelevancies on your part.

tdigle's Score

fromthesouth - 2.5
D-Man - 2.5

Firstly, fuck you both and your long posts, next

Clarity Of Debate: D-Man's posts are always nice and easy to read, today was no exception. He beats FTS here.

Point: D-Man

Punctuality: I'll split this one, split it good

Informative: I'll split this one again, you both spewed facts like. . . . . . fact spewing thingies

Point:Split

Emotionality: As usual both showed good emotion, but as usual fromthesouth wins me over in this category

Persuasion: Yeah, the whole chicken and the egg thing was a bit odd I thought, still despite that fromthesouth had the better argument in this one in my opinion. Close call though

I score this beasty

fromthesouth - 3
D-Man - 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo