Week 4: Gelgarin -versus- hiphopa-pokemon

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Steroids: Should they be allowed or not in Professional Wrestling?

hiphopa-pokemon is the home debater, he gets to choose which side of the debate he is on first, but he has 24 hours.

Remember to read the rules. This thread is only for the debaters.

This round ends +2 hours after Friday 1:00 pm Pacific

Going second in this is a little odd. Hiphopapotamus is going to be arguing for change whilst I'll be arguing for maintenance of the statuesque. That kind of leaves me trying to predict and counter each argument for change he makes, prior to him making it.
Fortunately I have one all purpose, catch all argument as to why HGH and anabolic steroids should not be allowed in the industry.

Ready?

Here we go.

Anabolic Steroids are against the law.

Seriously, do I really need to go any further?

My opponent (whose name I am not going to keep typing and who I shale henceforth refer to as Hippo) is going to try and argue that the regulations regarding testosterone based hormone additives should be removed. Or to paraphrase, he's going to say that the Controlled Substances Act (arguably the most comprahensive piece of anti drugs legislation in US history) shouldn't apply to men who wear colourful tights and suplex one another for a living. Minor exaggerations on my part, but the science of reader attention informs me that a minor exaggeration is perfectly valid when making a point.

Anabolic steroids are against the law.

Hippo is undoubtedly going to vocalise the argument that Steroids assist performers recovering from injury, to which I would hypothetically counter that a superstar recovering from a muscle injury can usually acquire steroids perfectly legally through a medical prescription. They frequently wont on account of synthetic growth hormones being more effective, but the option is there. Not only does this regulate the supply of a potentially harmful substance to prevent abuse, but it also ensures that those stars who are "juicing" are doing so based on legitimate medical advice, instead of on locker room gossip (you'll get a push if you bulk up) or pressure from their bosses.
Why we should undermine a perfectly acceptable and medically sound statuesque is a mystery I am undoubtedly going to have to wait a few hours to discover the answer to. Should be good for entertainment value at least.

"But Gelgarin you charismatic stallion" I hear you cry, "why do the WWE need to take account of myths such as science, medicine and law when determining company drugs policy?" Normally I'd tell you to shut up for asking such a stupid question, but that might loose me points, so I'll humour you.

Steroids are a controlled substance for a reason. They have a long list of potential, hard to predict, side effects; the risk of which increases in direct correlation to the frequency of the dose.
Now if you'll be a sport and permit me to sidetrack a little, I'd like to talk about the wrestling business.

WWE stars word several hundred matches a year. They spend their lives on the road. They are constantly under pressure to maintain their physique, and they are constantly fucking their bodies up through rigorous bumping. They have to work out on a pretty constant basis, and with the combined pressures of work, travel and home this puts massive pressure on their schedules.
The point I am trying to make is that, if you remove the legislation regarding steroids, the majority of major WWE stars are going to be taking them on a more or less constant basis which, given the incredibly physical and metal strains they are under, puts them in one of the most 'at risk' brackets of steroid users.

Steroids have been proven to increase blood pressure and raise cholesterol levels. You know which group of people really don't need their blood flow impeding? Professional wrestlers, that's who. Send cholesterol and blood pressure sky-rocketing... add in the possible warping of the aortic valves, and combine it with a wrestlers schedule, and what you get is a massively increased risk of heard failure. Personally I think we could throw the medical evidence out of the window and just go on the fact that Eddie Guerrero, Davey Boy Smith, Yokozuna, Brian Pillman, Rick Rude, Big Boss Man, Brian Adams and many many more dying due to heard failure before their fiftieth birthday.
There is a reason why professional wrestlers don't live very long. Over the past twenty years more that one hundred WWF wrestlers have passed away under the age of sixty five. There's a number of reason for this, and steroid abuse is one of them. Making them 'more' available is just about the most irresponsable thing that the WWE could do.

Steroids are unhealthy, unnecessary and unlawful. On such occasions as they are actually required they can be obtained, but taking that decision out of the hands of doctors and into the hands of the wrestlers is frankly an offensive idea, and I honestly struggle to understand why somebody would choose to argue it. Possible you were hoping that I was just going to rant and rave about Benoit and loose by default, but I'm afraid I'm not. Any argument you can make will surely e ludicrous and I look forward to hearing it.

Ladies, Gentlemen, all those who are reading todays debate, I'm here to argue that steroids should be allowed in modern day wrestling, and I will now explain why I believe so, and I urge you to agree with me.

Steroids are performance enhancing drugs. They allow muscles and bones to grow larger, for want of a better word. I am totally opposed to anabolic steroids in Sport. I see it as cheating. You must win sports only by your own accord. Steroids should not be allowed in professional sports.

Wrestling, however, is not a sport. Wrestling is sports entertainment. The outcomes are decided. There is no place available to cheat. Hence performance enhancing drugs do not count as chating. Wrestlers go out to entertain, to be at their peak physical condition and constantly take dangerous and risky bumps and falls. Their muscles and bones take quite the beating. And if this damage caused them to lose some of their abilities to perform, if it held them back from reaching their full potential in the ring, it's bad for everyone.

It's bad for the booker or owner. He needs his wrestlers to perform fully. he needs them to put on the best show they possibly can. He needs the crowd to enjoy it. He needs to draw money into his federation, his business. He needs his wrestlers to wrestle. Simple as that.

It's bad for the wrestlers. If they can't wrestle, they can't work. They need to earn a living, and that living is wrestling in front of crowd. Think of Mr.Kennedy, he was constantly injured during his time in WWE. He was a good wrestler, he had potential, but his plague of injuries played a huge part in his release. If he had some way of maybe preventing these injuries, he might still be employed by the WWE. the same could be said for a lot more

It's bad for the viewers. People want to be entertained by the wrestlers, it's why they watch. They don't tune in to see 2 men TRY and wrestle due to battered bodies, but to see men wrestle to the full extent.

If only there was a way of preventing these injuries that have been proven to be bad for everyone. Wait, there is. then why aren't they allowed to use them. It's dangerous. Imagine if wrestling was a dangerous sport. Well, it is. Every time wrestlers step into the ring they risk their well being, their health, for their livelihood.

Wrestlers have suffered career ending, and even life ending, injuries inside of the ring. Stone cold Steve Austin suffered a severe neck injury due to a botched pile driver. The tragic case of Mitsuhara Misawa, the japanese legend. He was hurt by a routine suplex, and although the cause is rumoured to be due to a heart attack or spine damage, he was stiil killed by wrestling. Steroids are dangerous, but as is wrestling.

People have the right to freedom of choice. If someone wants to sacrifice some of their life in order to succeed and enjoy their chosen profession, then it is up to them. If wrestlers want to risk death, which they constantly do anyway as a living, then it is up to them. People smoke, but noone ever complains, despite it cutting into their lifespan. Take, for example, a soldier. They risk their lifes every day in order to do their job, because they choose it. Why can't wrestlers enjoy the same privelleges? A mountain climber can. Heath Leger died due to an overdose of sleeping pills. He was suffering from insomnia because of what he did to kick ass at his job. He got so engrossed in the character of the Joker that he needed sleeping pills.

Steroids can have side effects. Well, wrestlers will surely be advised of this. The steroids are in no way being made compulsory. They are just being allowed, but must be used in moderation. I'm not proposing that wrestlers be given steroids whenever they damn want, just when they're needed or in amounts. Most wrestlers won't want or need steroids, but for those who do, I honestly feel they should be made available to them, within reason.

And as for them being illegal, It's not stopping them taking steroids now. If steroids were made legal, those wrestlers who might be suspended or fired for using them, such as Chris Masters was, will be okay now, and continue to use what is needed.

I am in no way saying that they should be given out whenever wrestlers want, or that they should be made compulsory. If a wrestler truly needs them, then they should be allowed to use them. I think so, and I think you should too. It truly is better for everyone.

Ladies, Gentlemen, all those who are reading todays debate, I'm here to argue that steroids should be allowed in modern day wrestling, and I will now explain why I believe so, and I urge you to agree with me.

Steroids are performance enhancing drugs. They allow muscles and bones to grow larger, for want of a better word. I am totally opposed to anabolic steroids in Sport. I see it as cheating. You must win sports only by your own accord. Steroids should not be allowed in professional sports.

Steroids should not be allowed in society. The reason being... they are against the law. Sports stars are not being singled out when they are banned from taking them, their profession simply makes them more likely to get caught.

Wrestling, however, is not a sport. Wrestling is sports entertainment. The outcomes are decided. There is no place available to cheat. Hence performance enhancing drugs do not count as chating. Wrestlers go out to entertain, to be at their peak physical condition and constantly take dangerous and risky bumps and falls. Their muscles and bones take quite the beating. And if this damage caused them to lose some of their abilities to perform, if it held them back from reaching their full potential in the ring, it's bad for everyone.

... I honestly can't wait to here this bit.

It's bad for the booker or owner. He needs his wrestlers to perform fully. he needs them to put on the best show they possibly can. He needs the crowd to enjoy it. He needs to draw money into his federation, his business. He needs his wrestlers to wrestle. Simple as that.

Crap. If the focus of the owner or booker was on the health and well-being of the talent then he wouldn't have them working such a horrific schedule. Have you noticed how much rarer injury is in TNA? It's because of the lighter schedule. WWE forces talent to work every night until they break so that they can make more money. There will always be enough healthy wrestlers to book a show, and the absence of competition or union representation allowed Vince to totally mistreat his talent.

It's bad for the wrestlers. If they can't wrestle, they can't work. They need to earn a living, and that living is wrestling in front of crowd. Think of Mr.Kennedy, he was constantly injured during his time in WWE. He was a good wrestler, he had potential, but his plague of injuries played a huge part in his release. If he had some way of maybe preventing these injuries, he might still be employed by the WWE. the same could be said for a lot more

*sigh* You know I really thought people had got a handle on this by now. Guess I'm stuck explaining it again. Kennedy failed because he was shit.
Incidentally, he's an absolutely horrible example for you to use.
Kennedy was injured in December '05 and May '07. In August '07 the WWE finally started taking their own wellness policy seriously leading to the almost immediate suspension of then superstars including, wait for it, Mr Kennedy.

It would appear fairly apparent that he was on the juice to begin with, and it didn't prevent him being off television more than he was on it.

Steroids don't prevent injury. For the past two years the WWE has hypothetically been steroid free, and the injury rate hasn't gone down. A lighter schedule prevents injury, steroids don't. What steroids do achieve is helping wrestlers to return from injury faster, at which point they can be legally obtained from a qualified medical practitioner.

It's bad for the viewers. People want to be entertained by the wrestlers, it's why they watch. They don't tune in to see 2 men TRY and wrestle due to battered bodies, but to see men wrestle to the full extent.

Seriously? Are you sure you don't want to paraphrase that a little... maybe take it back? Because what it soundly like to me is you saying that it's OK for all these stars to be dropping dead of heart failure if it makes the product a little bit better for you.

As a second aside, you're making it sound like without steroids these guys cannot perform. That's rubbish. CM Punk became the world champion the other night and has been wrestling perfectly well for over a decade. Lou Thesz was the most popular wrestler in the world and never took steroids. Word on the wrestling grapevine is that roids are far less common in places like Ring of Honour, and that's probably because there's less pressure for talent to grow physically.

Which leads me onto the major flaw in your argument. Anabolic steroids and HGH don't assist talent to perform better or avoid injury, otherwise Batista would be doing considerably better with his career. What they allow you to do is simple: get bigger. There is no reason that wrestlers to be built like refridgerators in this day and age, and as such there is no reason for them to casually be taking anabolic steroids.

If only there was a way of preventing these injuries that have been proven to be bad for everyone. Wait, there is. then why aren't they allowed to use them. It's dangerous. Imagine if wrestling was a dangerous sport. Well, it is. Every time wrestlers step into the ring they risk their well being, their health, for their livelihood.

I've already covered steroids not preventing injury, so I'll move onto the next part.

I agree, wrestling is dangerous for the people involved. What I don't agree is that this constitutes a free pass to make it even more dangerous. That to me seems selfish and shot sighted.

Also, where do you stop? Professional wrestling is a very stressful career, so why not make it legal for wrestlers to take crack? Sure all the guys will turn into Jake Roberts in later life, but it'll help them on the road.
With that in mind, we might as well talk about stamina. Wrestling is exhausting, but nobody likes watching rest holds. A high dose of ecstasy before each match will fix that. Sure there's a small risk of people dropping dead, but that's all right because it's professional wrestling.

Your logic tells us that both of the above examples are totally OK, but you're wrong because these substances are against the law.

People have the right to freedom of choice. If someone wants to sacrifice some of their life in order to succeed and enjoy their chosen profession, then it is up to them. If wrestlers want to risk death, which they constantly do anyway as a living, then it is up to them. People smoke, but noone ever complains, despite it cutting into their lifespan. Take, for example, a soldier. They risk their lifes every day in order to do their job, because they choose it. Why can't wrestlers enjoy the same privelleges? A mountain climber can. Heath Leger died due to an overdose of sleeping pills. He was suffering from insomnia because of what he did to kick ass at his job. He got so engrossed in the character of the Joker that he needed sleeping pills.

You're seriously comparing professional wrestlers to soldiers? You think the risk of getting shot by a terrorist whilst defending your country is the same as the risk of having a heart attack aged 45 because of abusing drugs that are against the law? Even more bizarre, you just described the right to get shot by terrorists as a damn privilege. I'm not the most respectful man in the world towards the armed forces, but hell man, don't you think that's a bit much?
As for Leger, you're being random, speculative and questionably relevant so I'm not going to pursue that line further.

People have freedom of choice yes, but that doesn't include the choice to break the law. Fighting in a war is not against the law. Being Heath Leger is not against the law. Purchasing illegal drugs and killing yourself so that you can entertain a small collection of selfish fans is not only against the laws of America, it's also against the laws of reason.

Steroids can have side effects. Well, wrestlers will surely be advised of this. The steroids are in no way being made compulsory. They are just being allowed, but must be used in moderation. I'm not proposing that wrestlers be given steroids whenever they damn want, just when they're needed or in amounts. Most wrestlers won't want or need steroids, but for those who do, I honestly feel they should be made available to them, within reason.

I'm sorry, did you just totally retract you're entire argument whilst I wasn't looking? What happened to freedom of choice? What about Heath Leger?

As for the question of steroids being compulsory, making them available and making them compulsory are more or less the same thing. The nature of the business is that it hands a lot of advantages to the guys with huge physiques, and if some uneducated performers are going to mainline growth hormone then it puts tremendous pressure on the under card to do the same.

The only ties when steroids could legitimately be considered necessary is when prescribed my a trained medical practitioner, which is the only time they are not against the law. A doctor is a far better judge of necessity and side effects than a wrestler, most of whom it must be said aren't the brightest bunch ever to grace the earth.

And as for them being illegal, It's not stopping them taking steroids now. If steroids were made legal, those wrestlers who might be suspended or fired for using them, such as Chris Masters was, will be okay now, and continue to use what is needed.

I build my entire argument around the illegality of anabolic steroids and you give me that? I don't think the argument even makes sense.
If we make them legal then people won't be punished for using them? That's how it works yes. Shall we make heroin and rape legal as well? It'll cut down the prison population.

I think you might be labouring under the assumption that steroids are outlawed buy the WWE. They're not, they're outlawed by the United States of America, the WWE is simply making sure that its talent obeys the law.

Masters didn't need steroids, he wasn't rehabilitating an injury, he simply wanted to get bigger. If you clasify that as a need then you support making them available whenever the wrestler wants them. That honestly makes me quite sad.

I am in no way saying that they should be given out whenever wrestlers want, or that they should be made compulsory. If a wrestler truly needs them, then they should be allowed to use them.

As I've already explained, you are in fact saying both of them.

I think so, and I think you should too. It truly is better for everyone.

It's not batter for all those guys dying of heart attacks in hotel rooms aged 50. It's not better for their friends, family and fans. It's not better for every guy who misses out of a push because another idiot is taking illegal drugs. It's not better for the company who get a reputation for being a hive of law breaking. It's not better for wrestling.

It might be better for you though, and isn't that what really counts?

Steroids should not be allowed in society. The reason being... they are against the law. Sports stars are not being singled out when they are banned from taking them, their profession simply makes them more likely to get caught.

So you would consider wrestling a sport, eh? I can understand not letting steroids in sports, but I consider wrestling to what it is, entertainment.

... I honestly can't wait to here this bit.

Crap. If the focus of the owner or booker was on the health and well-being of the talent then he wouldn't have them working such a horrific schedule. Have you noticed how much rarer injury is in TNA? It's because of the lighter schedule. WWE forces talent to work every night until they break so that they can make more money. There will always be enough healthy wrestlers to book a show, and the absence of competition or union representation allowed Vince to totally mistreat his talent.

Have you ever noticed that TNA doesn't, or rarely, drug tests. hence why Kurt Angle, Jeff hardy and others have travelled to TNA after being suspended for drug use. Maybe steroids play a part in rarely getting injured.

*sigh* You know I really thought people had got a handle on this by now. Guess I'm stuck explaining it again. Kennedy failed because he was shit.
Incidentally, he's an absolutely horrible example for you to use.
Kennedy was injured in December '05 and May '07. In August '07 the WWE finally started taking their own wellness policy seriously leading to the almost immediate suspension of then superstars including, wait for it, Mr Kennedy.

I happened to think he was actually quite good. And, if you read what I said originally, his injuries played a PART in his firing, not the cause.

It would appear fairly apparent that he was on the juice to begin with, and it didn't prevent him being off television more than he was on it.

Steroids don't prevent injury. For the past two years the WWE has hypothetically been steroid free, and the injury rate hasn't gone down. A lighter schedule prevents injury, steroids don't. What steroids do achieve is helping wrestlers to return from injury faster, at which point they can be legally obtained from a qualified medical practitioner.

You say hypothetically, there are still people who are going to use them. Noone has the authority to state if the WWE is steroid free or not, because noone can be certain.

Steroids are able to be legally obtained by a medical practitioner, hence they are allowed under certain conditions. What if these conditions were made slightly more leniant. Couldn't hurt much now could it. Steroids could be allowed for the less debilitating injuries, to improve performance.

Seriously? Are you sure you don't want to paraphrase that a little... maybe take it back? Because what it soundly like to me is you saying that it's OK for all these stars to be dropping dead of heart failure if it makes the product a little bit better for you.

It could sound that way to you, but to me it sounded like steroids can help wrestlers perform better. Better for everyone, no? I can see where you're coming from, pessimist. If everyone had that attitude, wrestling would not be the same. "I can't jump from the ladder, I might hurt myself". Wrestling is about taking risks.

As a second aside, you're making it sound like without steroids these guys cannot perform. That's rubbish. CM Punk became the world champion the other night and has been wrestling perfectly well for over a decade. Lou Thesz was the most popular wrestler in the world and never took steroids. Word on the wrestling grapevine is that roids are far less common in places like Ring of Honour, and that's probably because there's less pressure for talent to grow physically.

I never once claimed that. I said that those who are suffering from injuries can use steroids to heal quicker to be able to perform better. Not that they need it to wrestle. I even stated that they should not be made compulsory.

Which leads me onto the major flaw in your argument. Anabolic steroids and HGH don't assist talent to perform better or avoid injury, otherwise Batista would be doing considerably better with his career. What they allow you to do is simple: get bigger. There is no reason that wrestlers to be built like refridgerators in this day and age, and as such there is no reason for them to casually be taking anabolic steroids.

So you wouldn't consider Batista at all successful. Multiple world titles are doing well in your career. And as for getting bigger, if you wrestle a power style (Like Batista) would they not help. Would increased size not equal increased strength.

I've already covered steroids not preventing injury, so I'll move onto the next part.

I agree, wrestling is dangerous for the people involved. What I don't agree is that this constitutes a free pass to make it even more dangerous. That to me seems selfish and shot sighted.

It isn't a free pass, it's allowing those who are living dangerous lifestyles the ability to recover better. I already stated how it doesn't constitute giving them steroids whenever they damn want them.

Also, where do you stop? Professional wrestling is a very stressful career, so why not make it legal for wrestlers to take crack? Sure all the guys will turn into Jake Roberts in later life, but it'll help them on the road.
With that in mind, we might as well talk about stamina. Wrestling is exhausting, but nobody likes watching rest holds. A high dose of ecstasy before each match will fix that. Sure there's a small risk of people dropping dead, but that's all right because it's professional wrestling.

But we aren't talking about that, now are we? And if these wrestlers choose to want to take something to relax them, then it's up to them.

Your logic tells us that both of the above examples are totally OK, but you're wrong because these substances are against the law.

You're seriously comparing professional wrestlers to soldiers? You think the risk of getting shot by a terrorist whilst defending your country is the same as the risk of having a heart attack aged 45 because of abusing drugs that are against the law? Even more bizarre, you just described the right to get shot by terrorists as a damn privilege. I'm not the most respectful man in the world towards the armed forces, but hell man, don't you think that's a bit much?
As for Leger, you're being random, speculative and questionably relevant so I'm not going to pursue that line further.

I actually refered to serving your country as a priviledge. Some people, if they had to choose a way to die, would choose to die for their counttry. I'm not saying they enjoy it.

People have freedom of choice yes, but that doesn't include the choice to break the law. Fighting in a war is not against the law. Being Heath Leger is not against the law. Purchasing illegal drugs and killing yourself so that you can entertain a small collection of selfish fans is not only against the laws of America, it's also against the laws of reason.

I'm sorry, did you just totally retract you're entire argument whilst I wasn't looking? What happened to freedom of choice? What about Heath Leger?

No, they still have the choice to use steroids if they want, but to stay within reason. See, best of both worlds.

As for the question of steroids being compulsory, making them available and making them compulsory are more or less the same thing. The nature of the business is that it hands a lot of advantages to the guys with huge physiques, and if some uneducated performers are going to mainline growth hormone then it puts tremendous pressure on the under card to do the same.

Making something available and compulsory are not the same thing. Viagra is made available for men, but they don't have to use it. It can help them, but they have the choice to use them or not. And as for the under card doing the same, they're the undercard for a reason. They aren't as good.
The only ties when steroids could legitimately be considered necessary is when prescribed my a trained medical practitioner, which is the only time they are not against the law. A doctor is a far better judge of necessity and side effects than a wrestler, most of whom it must be said aren't the brightest bunch ever to grace the earth.

So allow doctors to judge whether a superstar is allowed to use them, when serious injuries don't automatically require them. Let a doctor decide.

I build my entire argument around the illegality of anabolic steroids and you give me that? I don't think the argument even makes sense.
If we make them legal then people won't be punished for using them? That's how it works yes. Shall we make heroin and rape legal as well? It'll cut down the prison population.

Rape is illegal because it damages others, hence making it illegal. Heroin also. Steroids can only, possibly, damage the user. They made their choice.

I think you might be labouring under the assumption that steroids are outlawed buy the WWE. They're not, they're outlawed by the United States of America, the WWE is simply making sure that its talent obeys the law.

Marijuana is outlawed by the law, yet the wwe never suspends people for using it.

Masters didn't need steroids, he wasn't rehabilitating an injury, he simply wanted to get bigger. If you clasify that as a need then you support making them available whenever the wrestler wants them. That honestly makes me quite sad.

I support making them available in moderation. Not whenever they damn want.

As I've already explained, you are in fact saying both of them.

It's not batter for all those guys dying of heart attacks in hotel rooms aged 50. It's not better for their friends, family and fans. It's not better for every guy who misses out of a push because another idiot is taking illegal drugs. It's not better for the company who get a reputation for being a hive of law breaking. It's not better for wrestling.

As I have said before, it is their choice if they take the drugs or not, so it's them who are ultimately made to pay for it.

If they miss out on a push because the guy was better, noone cares. And was it not you who said steroids don't improve wrestling ability.

The WWE is already known as a hive of law breaking, because wrestlers are still taking drugs. Jeff Hardy is on meth, yet he was getting pushed. Kurt Angle was recently arrested for assault and drug possession. Steroids aren't the only law breaking that goes on in wrestling.

It might be better for you though, and isn't that what really counts?

I sense some sarcasm here.

So you would consider wrestling a sport, eh? I can understand not letting steroids in sports, but I consider wrestling to what it is, entertainment.

Ahh, a very noble and cunning debate strategy. Traditionally a counterpoint should be offered against something I actually said, but by throwing in a counterargument to a point I never attempted to make you might confuse the judges into believing I think something stupid.

No of course I don't consider wrestling a sport. That would be why I never indicated in any way that wrestling was a sport.

What I said, which shouldn't have been that hard to understand, was that status as a sport is irrelevant. Anabolic steroids are not just banned in sport, they are banned in America. Now, you think that we should remove all the laws banning illegal drugs, remove the integrity of doctors and the Hippocratic oath. I will deal with why each of these is monumentally stupid as it becomes relevant.

Have you ever noticed that TNA doesn't, or rarely, drug tests. hence why Kurt Angle, Jeff hardy and others have travelled to TNA after being suspended for drug use. Maybe steroids play a part in rarely getting injured.

Because there is no logical indication that this is what happens. We're not allowed to simply make up information. TNA has a roster of around sixty superstars, half of whom are extremely banged up, the other half of whom work high risk matches on a regular basis. If I may quote Konnan from his time of Wrestlezone, a lot of the younger guys aren't on the juice. I remember one debilitating injury in recent history, which was Kaz destroying his leg with a stupid bump.
Now your argument is that your magical happy wonder drug stops people getting injured, in which case surely those wrestlers not on the juice would still be out of commission on a regular basis. This doesn't happen.
Everybody in TNA works a lighter schedule and spends less time on the road.
Everybody in TNA has a statisticially lower chance of getting injured that in WWE.
What you presented is vague speculation not backed up by any fact. What I presented is a direct correlation backed up by evidence from fucking Konnan. I suppose you think you're better than Konnan? Well you are, he's a homophobic, bitchy worm... but I'm quoting him anyway.

I happened to think he was actually quite good. And, if you read what I said originally, his injuries played a PART in his firing, not the cause.

Firstly, you're wrong.
Secondly, I notice you've used the phrase "if you read what I said originally", which is sort of the wrestlezone equivalent of a politician telling people to check his voting record. Nobody expects the people to actually do it. Well I did, and what you actually said was, "huge part" but more importantly you said that steroids would have prevented his injuries.
I then submitted evidence using dates and punctuation that Kennedy was more than likely juicing when he got injured, and the anabolic steroids didn't help with shit. (that's didn't help with Kennedy to you.)

You say hypothetically, there are still people who are going to use them. Noone has the authority to state if the WWE is steroid free or not, because noone can be certain.

Steroids are able to be legally obtained by a medical practitioner, hence they are allowed under certain conditions. What if these conditions were made slightly more leniant. Couldn't hurt much now could it. Steroids could be allowed for the less debilitating injuries, to improve performance.

No, but it has the most thorough drug policy of any wrestling company in the world, and more frequent injuries than BIG Japan pro wrestling. That rather undermines your argument, or it would if your argument was in any was consistent. You flip schizophrenically between wanting all illegal drugs legalised and relying only on "personal choice", and wanting steroids to be regulated by doctors. Make you're main up.

What I quoted above is another nice example of you contradicting yourself. You originally cited Chris Masters as your example, a man with no injuries or performance problems. Are you willing to admit being wrong with that example?

It could sound that way to you, but to me it sounded like steroids can help wrestlers perform better. Better for everyone, no? I can see where you're coming from, pessimist. If everyone had that attitude, wrestling would not be the same. "I can't jump from the ladder, I might hurt myself". Wrestling is about taking risks.

Pessimist. You call me a pessimist? I've been very politely refraining from overtly pointing out that you want professional wrestlers to kill them for your own enjoyment, but I guess the gloves are off now. Taking bumps and taking steroids are about as alike as driving a car and mainlining heroin. Both have an inherent risk to them, but in the case of both former examples the individual has been extensively trained to be aware of and to minimise the risk. The later examples are of illegal methods of self harm, the practical benefit of which (getting bigger or feeling good) do not justify the inherent cost.

I never once claimed that. I said that those who are suffering from injuries can use steroids to heal quicker to be able to perform better. Not that they need it to wrestle. I even stated that they should not be made compulsory.

You never claimed that wrestlers need roids to perform? One second.

They don't tune in to see 2 men TRY and wrestle due to battered bodies, but to see men wrestle to the full extent.

I think that constitutes a fairly solid implication that some talent require steroids to work. Are you willing to retract the above statement.

So you wouldn't consider Batista at all successful. Multiple world titles are doing well in your career. And as for getting bigger, if you wrestle a power style (Like Batista) would they not help. Would increased size not equal increased strength.

Quite successful. Not very good. Batista is particularly injury prone in spite of his short career and use of the magical, wonder, happy drug. He's sloppy, possessing of a massive attitude problem, prone to phoning it in and prone to tear his back when taking a simple bump.

It isn't a free pass, it's allowing those who are living dangerous lifestyles the ability to recover better. I already stated how it doesn't constitute giving them steroids whenever they damn want them.

I'm going to keep citing Chris Masters until you retract that statement. You said how an uninjured man who was taking steroids simply because he wanted to should have avoided suspension. You're also about to claim that wrestlers should have free access to crack, heroin, meth and any other drug they please.

But we aren't talking about that, now are we? And if these wrestlers choose to want to take something to relax them, then it's up to them.

Oh. My. God.

Let me contextualise the above comment to prevent unnecessary scrolling. I harmoniously suggested that, since Hippo wants to give wrestlers free access to steroids, we should also give them free access to crack cocaine.
He has now agreed with me.

Hippo apparently thinks that either all drugs should be legal to you if you're a professional wrestler, or that all drugs should be legal full stop. People who perform on a television show chiefly aimed at children should be allowed to very publicly maintain a crack addiction.

No, they still have the choice to use steroids if they want, but to stay within reason. See, best of both worlds.

But it's not the best of both worlds. 'Within reason' means 'when an expert thinks the side effects are counterbalanced by the recovery benefits', which is what we have right now. You want to include 'whenever the wrester wants them' (as aptly displayed by your argument to legalise cocaine). That's not the best of both worlds.

Making something available and compulsory are not the same thing. Viagra is made available for men, but they don't have to use it. It can help them, but they have the choice to use them or not. And as for the under card doing the same, they're the undercard for a reason. They aren't as good.

Most men aren't lucky enough to work in a hyper competitive profession that revolves around sexually pleasing women. If I'm wrong about this please let me know so I can drop out of university.
Wrestlers currently work a profession where they are constantly pressured to work a ridiculous schedule and to grow in physical size. If you freely legalise steroids within the industry then talent are going to be under enormous pressure to use them, and the death toll is going to grow increasingly higher. You might not care, but I do.

So allow doctors to judge whether a superstar is allowed to use them, when serious injuries don't automatically require them. Let a doctor decide.

Have you ever heard of the Hippocratic oath? It's more or less the foundation of all medicine dating back to the ancient Greeks. It's quite long and complex, but what it basically boils down to is that doters are not allowed to harm their patients. Prescribing anabolic steroids to a patient who doesn't need them but simply feels like getting bigger would violate the Hippocratic oath, and any competent doctor wouldn't do it.
Steroids kill people. Doctors don't prescribe medication that kills people just so Chris Masters can go up another t-shirt size.

Rape is illegal because it damages others, hence making it illegal. Heroin also. Steroids can only, possibly, damage the user. They made their choice.

Explain to me the difference between heroin and steroids please? I see them both as illegal, unhealthy and potentially fatal drugs. Am I missing something?

Marijuana is outlawed by the law, yet the wwe never suspends people for using it.

The WWE tests for pot and punishes their talent if they test positive. Keep up.

I support making them available in moderation. Not whenever they damn want.

So you are taking back the Chris Masters remark? Good. Now perhaps you could define what the fuck moderation is. I would view it was being "when an expert says so", which is the point I've been making since the beginning. You have clearly said that wrestlers should get steroids when they are not necessary, so I'd like to hear how access to steroids when you don't need them differers from access to steroids whenever you damn want.

As I have said before, it is their choice if they take the drugs or not, so it's them who are ultimately made to pay for it.

If they miss out on a push because the guy was better, noone cares. And was it not you who said steroids don't improve wrestling ability.

The WWE is already known as a hive of law breaking, because wrestlers are still taking drugs. Jeff Hardy is on meth, yet he was getting pushed. Kurt Angle was recently arrested for assault and drug possession. Steroids aren't the only law breaking that goes on in wrestling.

So now we're back to personal choice over law. This is getting ridiculous. Either you support the choices of doctors, in which case you can concede the argument now, or you support putting the decisions in the hands of the talent, legalising cocaine (optional, but apparently you do) and relying on personal choice.

You can't wave the flag of personal decisions, then backtrack every time I call you on it. Make your mind up what you're trying to argue or I'm done here.

Great Topic, however am glad IC did not get it, as I feel he would destroy his opponent.

Clarity of debate- 1 point
Gelgarin was spot free except a couple soft mistakes, he gets this point.

Punctuality- 1 point
Hip left early, which is too bad, because this was a very good debate. Gel here again.

Informative- 1 point
Gelgarin brought up great points to counter Hips excellent points. Gel brought an army of titans to fight Hips army of heroes. Gelgarin here.

Emotionality- 1 point
Sorry, but Gelgarin kept me laughing from his first post to his last paragraph. Great emotion here.

Persuasion- 1 point
A couple things that Gelgarin lacked was that finishing blow. He acted like he knew what was what from the beginning, but I was not leaving this debate giving him the thumbs up. This score of this debate ends 4-1, but it was much closer than this.

TM rates this 4 points Gelgarin to 1 points Hip.

Clarity: Gelgarin was spot on in his arguments, didn't drift much, and when he did he actually said he was to serve a purpose.

Point: Gelgarin

Punctuality: What TM said.

Informative: Gelgarin brought up some great points, and took it to Hippo.

Emotion: I could feel Gelgarin getting heated more and more. Hippo was just calm and rebutting.

Persuasion: I hate to make this a clean sweep, but it has to happen. I was in no way swayed by Hippo to make steroids allowed in professional wrestling. He didn't make any real points to justify legalizing them in the United States for TNA, WWE, and ROH, and didn't have any legit reason that wasn't countered by Gelgarin.

CH David scores this Gelgarin 5, Hippo 0.

Clarity: Gelgarin gets the points for this one

Punctuality: What those other guys said

Informative: Gelgarin provided more info, so there you go

Emotion: I prefered Hippo's approach, none of the passion bollocks, just calmly stating his points.

Point: Hiphopa-pokemon

Persuasion: Sorry Hippo, but Gelgarin was more persuasive

I score this round;
Hippo - 1
Gelgarin - 4

Clarity Of Debate - Hippopotamus gets the point here. There were some problems with Gelgarin's diction.

Point: Hippopotamus

Punctuality - Read what TM said.

Informative - Both debaters brought in quite a bit of information. I'll split the point here.

Point: Split

Emotionality - I like the fact that Hippopotamus was able to keep his cool throughout the debate, despite being baited on several occasions.

Point: Hippopotamus

Persuasion - I will again split the point here. Some parts of your posts were very cogent, Gelgarin, but other parts were obviously meant to psych out your opponent. But, Hippopotamus wasn't having any of it, and he stuck to addressing the points Gelgarin raised in his argument rather than quibbling with him over his alleged mistakes.

Point: Split

tdigle's Score

Gelgarin - 2
Hippopotamus - 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo