Week 2 - Remix vs. Stormtrooper

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
If Remix chooses to no show this round too, Stormtrooper, just post on Tuesday.

The thread closes Sunday, Remix is affirming the topic, IC is judging.

Resolved: Laws against drug use are violations of privacy.

Before I start my post I'd like to make one thing very clear. I do not condone drug use or legalisation of drugs. with that said, let's get it on.

My arguement will be based aroung three central points. That drug use is a victimless crime, that there are more dangerous things than drugs that are legal and that what goes on within my house is nobody's buisness other than than mine.

Drug use is a victimless crime

Tell me who gets hurt by me lighting up a joint in my back yard? I'm not going to get into a fight or get my liver wrecked by it. The worst that can happen is that I get the munchies, eat some junk food and put on a few pounds. That shouldnt be illegal and if it doesnt harm others or the state it shouldnt be a crime.

Drugs are less dangerous than other, legal things

Well I think for this I'll just list things that could be classed as more dangerous than drugs and their reasond for inclusion:
  • Cigarettes: more addictive than heroin and responsible for 1 in 5 deaths in America.
  • Alcohol: kills 2 people an hour in America
  • Firearms responsible for 1.2% of deaths in America
  • Mephedrone: Admitedly there's very little data on this one. However, by virtue of it being rediculously untested there's too many unknowns about it for me to call it 'safe'
  • Many 'medicinal herbs': Deadly knightshade, strychnine and foxgloves are all very dangerous and can be gotten with shocking ease.

What goes on in my house is my buisness. Nobody else's.

Exactly what it says in the title. What I do within my own four walls isn't the government's buisness. And if I'm not hurting myself or anybody else there's no reason for the government to give a rat's ass about it. Not to mention that searching for drug users in their homes would be a violation of the fourth ammendment (protection from unreasonable search and seizure) anyway.

I really liked Remix's opening post, though his borderline self-conscious disclaimer about not condoning drugs was not needed, and sort of took the teeth out of his debate. I always say that the first thing you need to do before you debate effectively is convince yourself that you are right. If you don't believe you're right, you won't be able to convince anyone with above average intelligence.

What we got from Remix was a sterile, though very well appointed, list of statistics. His bullet points about how other substances effectively harm more people than drugs was fairly well presented. I would have liked to see what Remix would have done if given an opponent who actually participated, but alas, no dice. Another terrible disappointment.

30-0, Remix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back