WCW Region, Third Round, First Blood Match: (1) Steve Austin vs. (9) Ted DiBiase

Who Wins This Match?

• Steve Austin

• Ted DiBiase

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a third round match in the WCW Region. It is a first blood match. It will be held at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia.

georgia2_dome_1.jpg

Rules: The match continues until one competitor makes his opponent bleed significantly.

url

#1. Steve Austin

Vs.

1751754-ted_dibiase.jpg

#9. Ted DiBiase

This match takes place one week following the second round.

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Without a doubt this sort of match favors Austin, who had the advantage going in anyway. Austin knows how to brawl, Austin knows how to use weapons and battle. Even with Virgil to even the odds, Stone Cold walks away with this one.

Stone Cold Wins.

I love DiBiase but a wild brawl is Austin's cup of tea. DiBiase could fight when he needed to (he had some AWESOME wild and bloody brawls with Jim Duggan in Mid-South) but for the most part he was a thinker that would have others do his work for him. However, Virgil isn't going to be able to help him out enough in this and a few chair shots from Austin are going to be enough for Austin to move on to the fourth round.

I honestly think this is one that DiBiase can come out with the win given past history of these matches. Usually, the heel will come out on top. Kane beat Austin, Angle has beaten Cena, and Kennedy over Undertaker. I know two out of those three happened because of interference but who is to say it won't happen here.

Austin does have a losing record in this match but way more experience in a No DQ setting than DiBiase.

DiBiase is sneaky but Austin is way too dangerous here. He bleeds alot, but DiBiase wouldnt get a chance to make that happen. Austin will lay into Ted with a chair or ring bell untill his arms give out. Virgil tries to stop him and will get a stunner for his trouble.

Austin wins this in less than 10 minutes.

I honestly think this is one that DiBiase can come out with the win given past history of these matches. Usually, the heel will come out on top. Kane beat Austin, Angle has beaten Cena, and Kennedy over Undertaker. I know two out of those three happened because of interference but who is to say it won't happen here.

I have to agree. Austin should probably win here, but First Blood matches usually go to heels if I recall correctly. Also, I seem to recall seeing Austin bleed quite a bit over the years, not so much for Dibiase.

Again, Austin should probably win, but it should absolutely not be a blowout. The gimmick here definitely evens the odds.

Austin wins this.

We all know Austin for his bloodbath with Bret Hart and all that stuff, but if you're going into a fresh match, where opening someone up is the main objective, I'll take Austin over nearly anyone in the business. I'm just glad Ric Flair's not in this match like he's been in the past.

Dibiase would give him a heckuva fight, but Austin would bust the MDM open in a matter of minutes with either stiff fists or mud hole stomping.

Keeping Tournament kayfabe in mind, Steve Austin just came off a relatively easy win over Christian, wihle DiBiase came through a grueling bout, pulling off a slight upset over Great Muta by just a hair. If either man is more physically in shape to go through this kind of match, it's Steve Austin.

This one is simple in my mind, and I'm sure the majority will agree with me. DiBiase isn't going to buy his way out of a match with Steve Austin. Virgil won't get the best of him, he won't get knocked out with chemicals, and he's not going to forfeit. DiBiase is going to have no other choice but face "Stone Cold" Steve Austin in the middle of the ring, with no rules and goal of drawing first blood from your opponent. Good luck Ted.

Vote: Steve Austin.

I wanted to be the guy who voted for DiBiase, but I can't. Sure, he can pay for a bunch of guys to come out to help. But I see them all eating Stunners anyway. Stone Cold wins this match while looking like a hero, flicking off Tatanka & Bam Bam Bigelow before knocking them out. Hits MDM with a late Lou Thesz Press & beats on him for awhile, goes outside, gets a chair, & busts him in his forehead. Crazy.

Austin

I love Dibiase but he seems a little out of place in the third round of this tournament. For as good as he was he's simply outmatched here. This is going to be a brawl and I don't see Dibiase being able to survive a brawl with Austin. I'm sure Dibiase has been in plenty of fights throughout his career but nothing like what Austin's been through. Austin will come out of the gate fast and with his aggresive approach I don't think it will take long for him to bust open Dibiase.

Austin has lost at least two first blood matches, one to Kane and one to Booker T, but he still goes over here. Dibiase is great but Austin is better in basically every way imaginable.

I don't think Ted DiBiase would win any match here. Austin is the most over "everyman" babyface in history, and DiBiase's character wasn't a million miles away from Mr. McMahon's, although he was far less powerful. To my mind there isn't much else to say - Austin would always win this match, and the fact it favours his brawling style only serves to emphasise that.

Ted Dibiasie vs Stone Cold Steve Austin. Not much, but there is history to be played back here. Growing up one of the last Images I have of the Federation years is Vader vader-bombing Bret and Dibiasie's laughter, and then his theme playing. Special corner for Dibiasie because he was such a believable talker and would make you believe that he is this dastardly millionaire, great wrestler.

And then there is Steve Austin. The gimmick is well, going against the tide of Austin, but I still think that Austin would pick it. Dibiasie is one of the most astute wrestling mind, in or off the ropes, and will do his ALL.

Yet Austin, like he always did, comes out on top.

I love Dibiase but he seems a little out of place in the third round of this tournament. For as good as he was he's simply outmatched here. This is going to be a brawl and I don't see Dibiase being able to survive a brawl with Austin.

This.

DiBiase was good, but in a no-DQ setting where the intention is to make your opponent bleed, it certainly favours The Rattlesnake. Ted may try and pay off some guys backstage to help him, but this is Steve Austin, the man who took on basically the whole WCW/ECW Alliance and stunned every last one of them. I have no doubt he would be able to take out whoever DiBiase got to help him.

Austin is one cold, uncaring S.O.B and he would relish the chance to make The Million Dollar Man wear the crimson mask. He would pound away on Ted's face with those fists, make him taste the Stunner and then go get a chair and nail DiBiase between the eyes after flipping him the bird.

Winner: Steve Austin

I would give this match to DiBiase just because stone cold gets busted open very easily but stone cold has far more experience with weapons and dq matches, stone cold is victorious

Stone Cold is one of the best brawlers in the history of the buisness. Stone Cold was a "Cool" Heel, so he can cheat and get cheered. Stone Cold was use any cheap tatic to win. If Vrigil or I.R.S are in DiBiase corner, I expect that they would interfere in the match. It would not be a big deal anyway cause Stone Cold can Stunner them! DiBiase is more of a technician and would not compete against Stone Cold's brawling style.

My Vote: Stone Cold Steve Austin

I don't think this is such an open and shut case, ESPECIALLY because of the stipulation.

I don't recall ever seeing DiBiase bleed.

I can think of NUMEROUS occasions where SCSA definitely did, quite profusely at that.

Anyone remember the frequently used Brass Knuckles that DiBiase used to use? Or what about the Million Dollar Belt that he used to his advantage as well??? DiBiase is already equipped with weapons to bust open SCSA in no time flat.

I don't think this is a big squash match for Austin at all. In fact I don't think he even wins here. The reason DiBiase has made it this far is because he is such a slick, dastardly, cheating, calculating, conniving, heel with resources galore, who also happens to be a really good wrestler, and pretty tough in his own right.

Let's not forget how The Ringmaster made his debut, being brought in by none other than, Ted Dibiase. There is history here, and that makes it all the more interesting. This is one of those, "I brought you into this world, I can take out of it" situations.

Sure, SCSA is one tough SOB and all that. Sure, he'd likely come in and quickly get the upper hand against DiBiase, as he is the face. BUT, I think SCSA would get caught up in the mudhole stomping, Thesz pressing, and stunning. The more tactical, devious heel DiBiase would be focused on the goal at hand, to make his opponent bleed. Don't think for a second either that Dibiase couldn't wrestle with Stone Cold. He was a big man, and a good wrestler to boot. He's got the upper hand in plenty of matches against plenty of guys that you would probably consider as being better than him, and part of the reason he was able to do that was because a lot of the people he faced undermined and underestimated is actual wrestling prowess, his strength, speed, and pure toughness.

Seriously, tell me you couldn't see it perfectly playing out with DiBiase on his knees pleading with SCSA not to keep beating on him as he did many of times with his opponents, only to have Virgil come from behind with a chair and get caught by SCSA causing a diversion allowing DiBiase the moment he needs to reach in the tights and grab the Brass Knuckles, then Austin turning around and getting blasted with the Brass Knuckles from a waiting DiBiase, busting him open, thus losing the match? Austin would probably even continue kicking DiBiase's ass after DiBiase was declared the winner just for his troubles. But the bottom line here, is that he would ultimately lose.

The thing is here, I don't want to see SCSA go over simply because he's Stone Cold Steve Austin, which is what this already building up to. It's "Stone Cold beats everybody Against All Odds because he's Stone Cold" and I don't buy it. He lost a lot of matches, often times by his own doing, even at the heights of his fame. He's been outsmarted, he's been dominated even. He is one of the greatest superstars of all time, but even the greatest superstars of all time lose matches like this. I would be more inclined to vote SCSA is the stipulation were different, but SCSA IS A BLEEDER, and The Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase is just slick enough to eeeek through and make him bleed to win the match. You might not like it, but this is a lot closer and a lot more debatable than it's been made to be thus far.

There seems to be a common misconception when it comes to this sort of match.

Austin was a brawler, a great one, and DiBiase was not. Because of that, Austin wins. Not only does he win, he dominates.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Wrong.

When a stipulation basically takes the rulebook out of the equation, it almost always favors the heel. No matter the stipulation, heels excel in an environment where rules aren't factored in. Good. I feel better now.

Anyhow, Austin still wins. He's too much for DiBiase. We have a good deal of babyface wrestlers who I can see DiBiase beating in this type of match, but Austin isn't one of them. First, he wasn't a true babyface. He was a complete badass, one of the most ruthless competitors of his or any other generation. Second, he's flat better than DiBiase, in all ways.

Austin goes over, in what would be a fantastic match.

There seems to be a common misconception when it comes to this sort of match.

Austin was a brawler, a great one, and DiBiase was not. Because of that, Austin wins. Not only does he win, he dominates.

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Wrong.

When a stipulation basically takes the rulebook out of the equation, it almost always favors the heel. No matter the stipulation, heels excel in an environment where rules aren't factored in. Good. I feel better now.

Damn good of you to point that out.

Anyhow, Austin still wins. He's too much for DiBiase. We have a good deal of babyface wrestlers who I can see DiBiase beating in this type of match, but Austin isn't one of them. First, he wasn't a true babyface. He was a complete badass, one of the most ruthless competitors of his or any other generation. Second, he's flat better than DiBiase, in all ways.

Nick, I feel ya, but since when did it ever matter whether the guy DiBiase was facing was actually better than him or not? The guys he faced were almost always made to look like they were better than him, and technically some of them were but it didn't matter. He was always one step ahead and found ways to beat the odds. Most of the time through some kind of dirty tactics which is what made him so awesome.

I'm not so sold on the Austin blow out in this match. In the late 90's during the Attitude Era, there were two things certain to bleed once a month, my girlfriend, and Steve Austin on pay per view. Dude bled constantly. Hell, he won a first blood match, and still bled like crazy.

I'm tempted to vote for DiBiase, simply because I can't recall the guy bleeding during his Million Dollar Man days. It's been pointed out, this stipulation seems to favor the heel. I know Austin is better, but in context of the match, it's a lot closer then it's being made out to be.

Fair credit to DiBiase for making it this far. I thought he was ranked too high coming in but he reached this stage based on his own merits.

That being said, there's no way Austin loses in this match. Austin does have a tendency to bleed more than DiBiase, and the fact that he's a face does play a role into this, but Stone Cold would most likely wallop DiBiase with a chair before DiBiase or Virgil have a significant chance to get at Austin.

Austin wins this one, but DiBiase does have a chance.

I'll go with Austin here. I know he has lost first blood matches against Kane and Booker T but he also won one against Undertaker at Fully Loaded 1999 despite Undertaker having busted him up prior to the match. What was notable in that match was how conciously Austin was protecting that wound because he knew that one hit their could spell curtains for him. Austin was really someone who was smarter than the average face and could counter heel tactics pretty well.

Also remember, Dibiase Sr was a heel in the 80s. Means that no matter how well he planned for something, his plans came up a cropper. Just look what happened at WrestleMania 4. He had planned to win the tournament and his plan was going well till he came up against a big babyface in Randy Savage and then his plans failed him. Or look at what happened at Royal Rumble 1989. He purchased the #30 spot from Akeem but still lost the Rumble.

Something similar is bound to happen against Austin who is one of the biggest babyfaces of all time. I can see Dibiase paying someone off to hit Austin with a chairshot which Austin would duck and Dibiase would end up eating chair for the loss.

Winner: Austin.

Let's not forget that The Ringmaster might have some beef with his former employer, and this type of match would be the perfect blowoff for that type of feud.

As far as I know Austin and DiBiase never had beef, but I bet you Austin secretly hated him, because he's Stone Cold Steve Austin and he hates everyone and everything. Especially women. But also rich people.

So basically, even though he has a horrible record in this kind of match, is going against a very sneaky heel known to use brass knuckles and tons of other resources to win his matches, and this match even favors the heel Dibiase, people are just going to vote Austin because it's Austin? That makes sense.:rolleyes:

Way to show how Stupiditarded the masses can actually be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back