WCW Region, New Orleans Subregion, First Round: (10) Jerry Lawler vs. (23) Sheamus

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Jerry Lawler

• Sheamus

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, New Orleans Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans, Louisiana.

465281691tk-015asgame.jpg

baeb3df84f2e37c694be6f6b8403a800.jpeg

#10. Jerry Lawler

Vs.

tumblr_m8pxbuGFst1rq77vjo1_400.png

#23. Sheamus

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Sheamus doesn't remotely interest me. I'd love it if he did, but he really doesn't. Meanwhile Lawler was only really successful in a small corner of the world. It is difficult to really know how Lawler at his best would have translated to the modern picture, but I think when all is said and done there will be a lot more people talking about Lawler's achievements than there will be for Sheamus so I'm voting for King.

Sheamus was WWE champion a time or two, but he was never the top star at any time. Or at least I don't recall him ever being so. Maybe for like a month. Even to this day he remains one of WWE's "bigger" stars, but he's overshadowed by several people.

Jerry Lawler may have been a territorial star his whole career, but to his credit he was wrestling in the South for a long period of time. And drew huge numbers there. Stars that toured had to be prepared for his shadow, because it cast a looming presence. IIRC he rarely lost to outsiders, and it was considered a big deal for him to lose in Memphis. When you combine his many accolades, popularity, with the longevity he enjoyed and later continued as part of the WWE, along with a legacy which includes the early pioneering of the modern hardcore style, then I think he should go over a guy that's your average WWE "big star."

I'm voting Lawler.

Meh Sheamus, Lawler in his prime had a lotta mid carders fed to him and then the eventual big dogs. Not much of a contest here.

Last year Jerry Lawler beat Daniel Bryan in the first round of the tournament. Not really relevant, but I found that while looking for my argument for Lawler last year.

Back as a young kid I went to a show with my grandad and the main event was Lawler vs. Bill Dundee in a no holds barred match. I don't remember who won, I don't remember who was the face and who was the heel. All I remember was Lawler taking my cup of soda and pouring it on Dundee, and getting my picture with Dundee after the show. That is my greatest wrestling memory, so I'm voting Lawler.

Jerry Lawler lost to Michael Cole and Andy Kaufman.

Sheamus got eliminated from a battle royal once by Hornswoggle (I am not looking up how to spell that.)

Jerry Lawler was in Man on the Moon.

Sheamus can speak Gaelic.

Jerry Lawler is the most decorated American wrestler of all time (sure he booked himself to win a majority of those, but still.)

Sheamus beat John Cena for the WWE title. Twice. He's also won the WHC.

I think I have to go Sheamus here, but I don't feel good about it.

Jerry Lawler is one of the biggest stars of his era. Period. Seamus cannot say the same, despite several attempts to push him as such.

He rarely traveled outside of his home territory because he didn't need to. The biggest stars would come to him. He won his home title so many times because the fans never got tired of seeing him do it. Think of the staying power that requires. In an era where 99% of workers had to move constantly to stay fresh, he not only never had to, but fans never got tired of him being on the top. Contrast that to today and look at guys like Cena, who aren't on the move because they have no option to be... and who many fans have gotten incredibly tired of seeing on the top all the time. Sure it might have been on a smaller scale, but very few were ever able to accomplish even that.

If this was a standard Lawler program, then Seamus would initially win, come across as a real threat to finally dethroning the King, and then Lawler would valiantly battle back and usurp the challenger to his throne in the end.

Since this is just a one off, everything else has already happened and this is the blow off. Lawler always wins the blow off, and this wouldn't be any different. Maybe he'd pull out the chain. Maybe he'd use fire. Probably he'd sneak a piledriver in when the ref wasn't looking. He'd bleed. And every single person in the Smoothie King Center would be on their feet when the strap came down and the King dropped the fist for the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back