WCW Region, Houston Region, First Round: (14) Ultimo Dragon vs. (19) Steve Williams

Who Wins This Match?

• Ultimo Dragon

• Steve Williams

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tastycles

Turn Bayley heel
This is a first round match in the WCW Region, Houston Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Toyota Center, Houston, Texas

021_toyota_center.jpg

images

#14. Ultimo Dragon

Vs.

dr-death.JPG

#19. Steve Williams

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Ultimo Dragon, simply because I watched him and thoroughly enjoyed his skills. Never got to see Steve Williams

Dr. Death was good but I think the speed of the dragon would just be too much for him, ultimo dragon for the win

I'm going with the Dragon, simply based on personal preference. Never was a big Steve Wiliams fan. I remember watching a lot of his WCW stuff when I was a kid, and was never impressed. He worked a very stiff, dangerous, style. Then he went to the WWF and completely flopped out after getting knocked the fuck out by Bart Gunn.

Dragon on the other hand went into WCW, and took over that awesome cruiserweight division. That division was probably the best division in the business at that time, and Dragon came in as a legit big deal. You do your research, and you learn why. The man was littered with gold.

It comes down to personal preference, and I simply enjoyed the Dragon more then Dr. Death.

Ultimo Dragon, simply because I watched him and thoroughly enjoyed his skills. Never got to see Steve Williams

What a fantastic reason to vote for someone. Fucking outstanding.

:disappointed:

I'm going Steve Williams because, A. This is an ECW Rules match, and B. I haven't seen anything from Ultimo Dragon that would indicate he moves forward.

I think Ultimo is fantastic, probably the best Cruiserweight WCW had (yes, I realize he did a lot more than that, but that's how I know him). However, Dr. Death was a monster, very physical. Too physical for Ultimo, in my opinion.

I want to see Ultimo Dragon do well in this thing for once, but I have to vote Dr. Death here. He was a tremendous power guy, and would find answers for Ultimo's offense. Also, this is ECW, and it takes place close enough to Williams' home to consider this his backyard.

He'd simply overpower Dragon, and then wear him out with whatever he could get his hands on. I'd love to see this in WCW, or even International, but here, it goes to Dr. Death.

I want to vote for Ultimo Dragon...I liked Dragon much more than I ever did Steve Williams. But as Nick pointed out, this is an ECW ring, and Dr. Death was a tough as nails kind of guy. In a WCW ring, I would probably vote for Dragon. But, in an ECW ring, the question isn't how many high flying moves can Dragon do as much as it is how many chair shots could he take? How many tables crashed through? Due to the nature of ECW, Dr. Death's size and wrestling style give him the advantage.

In an Extreme rules match Dr. Death should own. This was a man who would sometimes injure his opponents just because he could. Just ask El Dandy.

Not only that but Williams had plenty of experience in hardcore matches; his tenacity and durability rivaled that of Mick Foley, and his brutality was on par with Brody's.

Ultimo Dragon was good, but he wasn't the giant killer that Mysterio turned out to be. I think his high risk offense would get him in trouble in a match setting such as this, allowing for Death to capitalize. A hurricarana countered into a Doctor Bomb through a table should end this.

Even if this bout was held in Japan, I would give the edge to Dr Death. He has held the Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship there.

Ultimo is a great, great cruiserweight but had the two met during their peaks in Japan, I'd see no other result than a Williams win. Putting this in an ECW environment plays even more to the strengths of a guy with 'Death' in his moniker.

He might have been knocked out in the 'Brawl For All' but he shouldn't be knocked out here!

Steve Williams was such a tough guy that they invented Brawl for All to try to push him. While Ultimo Dragon's record is impressive, and I'd probably give him this in any other reason, the fact remains that you rarely see guys of Williams' size lose to guys like Ultimo Dragon in hardcore matches, which is what we have here. The only sensible outcome is a Williams win.

I'm going with the Dragon, simply based on personal preference. Never was a big Steve Wiliams fan. I remember watching a lot of his WCW stuff when I was a kid, and was never impressed. He worked a very stiff, dangerous, style. Then he went to the WWF and completely flopped out after getting knocked the fuck out by Bart Gunn.

Dragon on the other hand went into WCW, and took over that awesome cruiserweight division. That division was probably the best division in the business at that time, and Dragon came in as a legit big deal. You do your research, and you learn why. The man was littered with gold.

It comes down to personal preference, and I simply enjoyed the Dragon more then Dr. Death.

Good reasoning.

However, Dr. Death at his peak would throw Ultimo Dragon around like a rag doll. Dragon wrestled in Japan. Dr. Death's best matches were in Japan during the Triple Crown against Hansen, Tsuruta and many other greats. Him and Terry Gordy dominated the tag team scene there once Hansen/Brody didn't tag anymore.

Thing is, Dr. Death is stronger, stiffer, and would take the best Dragon has to offer. Williams has a glass jaw, but Dragon doesn't have the knock out power to hurt Dr. Death.

20 minutes of brutality ends with Dr. Death hitting the Oklahoma Slam for the win.

I'm going to assume that most of you haven't seen much of Williams' work. He was the Brock Lesnar of his day, a legit college football player and wrestler who ran over everyone in his path back int he day. He was the monster of the Varsity Club in its later days and almost no one could stop him. A guy like the Dragon would have his offense shrugged off and the Oklahoma Stampede would kill him.

Dr. Deat was bigger in Japan than Ultimo Dragon. That's pretty damn big if you ask me. Plus Ultimo Dragon was a lower midcarder in WCW, never stood out anywhere and other than a feud with Mysterio, never did anything in WWF. Dr. Death made huge waves in WWF (Brawl for All), WCW (with Oklahoma) and Japan (five star matches, nuff said).

Dr. Death would brawl the hell out of anyone in this 128 bracket. Ultimo Dragon just happens to be his first victim.

Ultimo Dragon is an amazing cruiserweight, but ECW is much more suited to Dr Death Steve Williams. He was one tough bastard, and all the speed in the world from Dragon would be useless when he gets powerbombed through a table by Williams.

The ECW rules play into the hands of the much more violent, stronger man and I can't see Dragon's high flying offense getting him anywhere in this one.

Winner: Steve Williams

Pretty good one here. Two of my faves.
But Ultimo Dragon, one of the best Japanese high-flyers, definitely takes this one.
If you question my reasoning, watch Dragon's match with Lion Heart Chris Jericho for the WAR IJ Heavyweight Championship at the WAR 3rd Anniversary show in Ryogoku.

Well. I accidentally voted for Ultimo Dragon. Don't get me wrong, he's one of my all-time favorite high flyers, but there's just no way he gets the best of Steve Williams. Especially not in an ECW rules match. Ultimo can throw all the offense he wants at Williams, he's probably just going to get right back up and continue picking apart his opponent. Also keep in mind that he went undefeated for almost 10 years, mostly working in Japan. I'm sure he has plenty of experience dealing with people like Ultimo Dragon...

Well, originally I had argued for Dr. Death based my belief that he would be more apt to thrive in an ECW environment...but now that it's been switched to WCW rules, I have to rethink my position. With that finished, I think I have to keep my position though. It's a lot closer match than I thought it would be, but I think Dr. Death would still get the win. Not as convincingly as it would have been had the match stayed in ECW, but I think he would still get it. It's the whole WCW hates cruiserweights going against bigger wrestlers theory.

Its crazy how much difference the region makes. I had Dr Death winning in an ECW ring, but now that it's in WCW, I wish I could take my vote back and go for Ultimo Dragon.

Glad to see Dragon winning, would hate to see him have gotten screwed by accident.

This is kind of a tough one with the contrast in styles. Dragon has had some success in the US but Williams was a beast in Japan. I was tempted to vote Dragon but I think Dr. Death is too big and strong for him to overcome.

I voted Steve Williams when I thought it was ECW, simply because I think he'd smash through weapons easier. Given that it was changed, I would have changed to Ultimo Dragon, so I'm glad he won. Bizarrely, the American has had less success domestically than the Japanese wrestler, and I think that means he'd lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back