WCW Region, Fourth Round, Iron Man Match: (1) Steve Austin vs. (4) Lou Thesz

Who Wins This Match?

• Steve Austin

• Lou Thesz

Results are only viewable after voting.
There's a reason he has 6 posts and is a member of the JOB SQUAD, my friend.
At any rate, none of those arguments have anything to do with it. If this were all about money, several people that are still left wouldn't be on here.
Problem is, it is about in-ring performance and how the wrestler can use the match stipulation in respect to his opponent. Looking for the best wrestler, not (as FitFinlay said) the biggest draw. That is totally irrelevant.

It's funny because both of these are the same. The best wrestler is the one who draws the most money. Why? Because it's a work, bro. Remember that? Or is it still real to you, dammit?

As far as the match stipulation itself...gimmick matches are another way of attracting people to the live event, to purchase the event on pay per view, or watch the event on free TV. Sure, the type of gimmick match may give more credibility to one participant instead of the other...but usually, the most over person will win the contest. Take, for example, Triple H v. Cactus Jack in HIAC or Lesnar v. Taker in HIAC.

It's funny because both of these are the same. The best wrestler is the one who draws the most money. Why? Because it's a work, bro. Remember that? Or is it still real to you, dammit?

Well gee, thanks for pointing that out.

Here, I'm going to do you a massive favour and save you ever having to participate in the WZ tournament ever again.

Hulk Hogan wins because he was the biggest draw of all time.

Ric Flair comes second because he was the second biggest draw of all time.

Bruno Sammartino goes over Buddy Rogers in the third place playoff.

Lou Thesz, Stone Cold, Andre the Giant and The Sheik are the losing semi finalists.

After them come Backlund, Taker, Savage, Rock, Rocca, Race, London and Foley (Nick, not Mick). John Cena may or may not place in the top 16 in place of Nick Foley.

There we go. That's based on an extensive numerical study conduced by experts in the field aimed at calculating the highest draw of all time. You now know who wins this thing, and who will continue to win it each and every year without variation. Do you begin to appreciate why your voting mentality is ******ed yet?

Of course we argue elements of kayfabe. That's how the tournament works. It's how it's worked every year for half a decade and its how it will continue to work until people get bored of having it. That's why we have regions, that's why we have gimmick matches and it's why we have debates instead of simply looking at the list I just posted every single year.

Can the supercilious crap; you're the one here unable to get a handle on how things work.

Oh; and even if I were going to play the game according to your utterly illogical set of standards... Lou Thesz still fucking wins. I'll concede, on the list of top draws of all time, Stone Cold places a couple of spots ahead of Lou Thesz, but that's largely because Stone Cold had a potential audience of 100,000,000 more people, and had a weekly television show advertising him. Adjust the numbers for US population growth and Lou Thesz was likely a larger draw than Steve Austin. He is certainly far more accomplished, he had a longer and more prestigious career, and it's madness to take the guy largely responsible for the attitude era over the guy largely responsible for the existence of modern pro wrestling.

Of course, I very much doubt that you actually believe your own rubbish - you voted Rock over Ric Flair despite the latter being the unambiguously superior draw. You also made a bunch of suspiciously kayfabe arguments in earlier rounds. This is just an excuse to justify voting for the guy you know something about. I for one would have had more respect for the honest approach.

There we go. That's based on an extensive numerical study conduced by experts in the field aimed at calculating the highest draw of all time. You now know who wins this thing, and who will continue to win it each and every year without variation. Do you begin to appreciate why your voting mentality is ******ed yet?

Did Hogan win every single match, ever? No. Did he win the vast majority of the matches in which he fought? Yes. Why? Because he was the bigger draw. Sometimes that means that opponents of the top draw go over said top draw in order to get more heat on the bad guy and more good heat on the top draw babyface. Wrestling 101. Does the top draw have to win every time? No. Do they usually? Yes. I'm arguing for how it would go most of the time and what would draw the most money in the long haul. You should know this.

And isn't this thing about arguing and debate? Isn't that what we are doing? Sounds like a success in terms of the "drawing" of the tournament to me.

And once again...Rock against Cena comments. "******ed"? Good one, bro.

Of course we argue elements of kayfabe. That's how the tournament works. It's how it's worked every year for half a decade and its how it will continue to work until people get bored of having it. That's why we have regions, that's why we have gimmick matches and it's why we have debates instead of simply looking at the list I just posted every single year.

It's not how it's worked every year, bra. There has never been a "system" of how one should vote other than to give reason. This year, KB decided to ask people to vote for who the best wrestler is...not who the most popular is. I think, for the most part, that I have voted for who the best "wrestler" is based on drawing power and/or what might be interesting going forward.

Can the supercilious crap; you're the one here unable to get a handle on how things work

Maria.jpg

At least you finally used the word "work."

Oh; and even if I were going to play the game according to your utterly illogical set of standards... Lou Thesz still fucking wins.

Quite logical, actually. And no, in a work (which...remember, that's what wrestling is)...Austin goes over Thesz.

I'll concede, on the list of top draws of all time, Stone Cold places a couple of spots ahead of Lou Thesz, but that's largely because Stone Cold had a potential audience of 100,000,000 more people, and had a weekly television show advertising him.

Because wrestling was not a global and cultural phenomenon at the time of Lou Thesz. Hell, Stone Cold was a global and cultural phenomenon himself.

Adjust the numbers for US population growth and Lou Thesz was likely a larger draw than Steve Austin

No. Lou Thesz didn't transcend into culture the way that Stone Cold did. Popularity (and thus, value to wrestling) was not comparable.

He is certainly far more accomplished, he had a longer and more prestigious career, and it's madness to take the guy largely responsible for the attitude era over the guy largely responsible for the existence of modern pro wrestling

Well, better give the title to the guy who invented pro-wrestling since there would be no Lou Thesz without him.

Of course, I very much doubt that you actually believe your own rubbish - you voted Rock over Ric Flair despite the latter being the unambiguously superior draw.

Rock is a better global draw than Flair ever was. Good one, bro.

You also made a bunch of suspiciously kayfabe arguments in earlier rounds. This is just an excuse to justify voting for the guy you know something about. I for one would have had more respect for the honest approach.

Glad you could do some detective work on my earlier voting. I don't recall how I've voted throughout the entire tournament, but I'm at least in the right frame of mind here.

Perhaps your time would have been better spent coming up with a better argument.

Well played Punk marks. I am on to you. I'd like to chastise you but there is something amusing about building up the old school crowd with false hope and then dashing it. I may even have to support your cause. I have some quotes from Verne Gagne lined up about how Thesz would tap to the Anaconda Vice. They should surely trump Gelgarin's ability to call people idiots.

Wow,big upset here.Steve austin actually lost against lou thesz.Never saw that coming.To see that IWC voted someone not going by the name hogan,savage or flair of the pre attitude era is a big big shock.Nevertheless the deserving man won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back