WCW Region, Chicago Region, First Round: (1) Steve Austin vs. (32) Sabu

Who Wins This Match?

• Steve Austin

• Sabu

Results are only viewable after voting.
Let's go back to 2009; the tag team tournament; The British Bulldogs versus Sabu:

As far as I can tell, Sabu executes about every one in ten moves successfully. Oh my God, he's about to do a springboar-- wait, no, he fell over again. Watch a Sabu match and put this on loop in the background:

[YOUTUBE]MK6TXMsvgQg[/YOUTUBE]

Honest to God, it syncs up every time. It's incredible. He's more a threat to himself than he is to anyone else.

That still stands. A rubbish wrestler that personifies pretty much everything I disliked about ECW. Wrestlers like Rey Mysterio grew out of that "HOLY SHIT! LET'S DO A MILLION DIVES!" phase, but Sabu never did. Once he's finished doing his comedy routine - which includes falling off a steel chair a dozen times - Austin, because he's Steve Austin, lackadaisically covers him for an easy win.

Now that the thread has been moved, there is not a chance in hell that Sabu could win. I said he couldn't before, but know everyone should know for sure who to vote for.

Agreed with IHW. Sabu's only hope was in the ECW region, because he can't wrestle an actual legit match without the "hardcore/keep redoing the same high spot until you get it right" style. In a straight up, conventional wrestling match, Stone Cold Steve Austin would absolutely dominate him. GRR at having to rethink my initial argument though...but I guess it is what it is.

Reactions: IHW
I'm just waiting for Jaffa to call shinanagans, and claim that KB took the match out of ECW because it was the "only way" for Austin to beat Sabu.

Jesus Christ, how does a person become that delusional? I'm not discrediting Sabu or his ability, but the guy misses 80% of his "high impact" moves. He was only ever popular transitionally in ECW when anybody who could elicit a "holy shit" chant out of a small arena "got over". Trying to call him a hardcore legend or icon when guys like Funk and Foley are around for comparison is just a joke. I'd probably even take RVD or Raven further than Sabu, but none of them stand a chance against Steve Austin in his prime. Not in ECW, not in WCW, not in Japan, Mexico, Philly, Chicago, Canada, Death Valley or Dudleyville.

And you know, as long as we're posting hilarious videos about Sabu, here's one of him tapping out to John Cena...

[YOUTUBE]55UaEtm2ldM[/YOUTUBE]

You can argue that Sabu only lost this match because it was WW-ECW, but that was probably the only time I ever watched Sabu and was entertained by him or his style of wrestling. If the man couldn't beat John Cena, with ECW rules in place, with a dozen guys out there helping him out...how is he supposed to get through "Stone Cold" Steve Austin?

Let me say something, to all the guys that think ECW and ECW fans were the epitomy of passion in pro wrestling. Watch this video, one of the greatest moments in wrestling history in my opinion, and if you can tell me that Sabu EVER, even ONCE brought a crowd to that level of emotion, and left this kind of impact on the industry, I will concede to you and never say a word against ECW or Sabu again.

[YOUTUBE]_V-rCP-UeeY#t=99s[/YOUTUBE]

All my support for Sabu has just went out the window. Sabu had an edge if it was ECW rules. It was a situation where Stone Cold had no real success in, and is the only place Sabu ever had much of a career. And you put that in WCW, where either man have no real edge over the other. You have to go with a man who was the the top guy in the WWF/E for most of the Attitude Era. I know I said my vote was going to Sabu, but that was with the ECW rules in mind. My vote goes to Steve Austin.

All my support for Sabu has just went out the window. Sabu had an edge if it was ECW rules.

Actually, I completely disagree. Austin still has the advantage, and there's no way he any match type could change that. However, this limits Austin. This makes him act like a human being.

The guy is a savage. As I said earlier, he's the most brutal "top guy" we've seen. Going to a match with regular rules, in my opinion, helps Sabu. This way, Austin can beat him as badly as he would any other career midcarder (which is exactly what Sabu would have been with WWF), but not absolutely destroy him with whatever weapon he decided to use (think vs. Rocky at WrestleMania 17).

Sabu didn't stand a chance either way, but without extreme rules, he leaves on his own two feet. Congratulations, Sabu.

I would seriously like to know why the thread was moved? The whole fucking point of the debate we had for the last day, prior to votes opening was based on ECW rules. Moving the thread is essentially changing the rules as you go, so can someone give me the reason why?

You can argue that Sabu only lost this match because it was WW-ECW, but that was probably the only time I ever watched Sabu and was entertained by him or his style of wrestling. If the man couldn't beat John Cena, with ECW rules in place, with a dozen guys out there helping him out...how is he supposed to get through "Stone Cold" Steve Austin?

You answered your own question. WW-ECW is not ECW. WW-ECW rules are not ECW rules.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3858142 said:
I'm just waiting for Jaffa to call shinanagans, and claim that KB took the match out of ECW because it was the "only way" for Austin to beat Sabu.
You do not know me young man but it does seem weird that matches in Melbourne aka Australia aka somewhere that ECW never went is now in ECW region it strikes me odd. However in WcW Austin would beat Sabu but i still voted for Sabu anyway.

Those who have seen some of my posts in this tourney know that I like to conjure up the name Meltzer. I think right now he's the leading journalist, though that isn't saying much, in the wrestling business. That said, I'm always quick to point out that while I appreciate his work, there are certain things I don't agree with.

Of all of them, I disagree most with his bullshit notion that Sabu deserved wrestler of the year for 1995. He is such an overrated hack, a botch waiting to happen, because he is so chaotic, and doesn't know how to work, and keep his opponent fucking safe. Sabu tries one of those moves, and Stone Cold will shoot on the fucker, and beat the piss out of him. Any other way, Austin still rolls over him.

Austin in a laugher

You do not know me young man but it does seem weird that matches in Melbourne aka Australia aka somewhere that ECW never went is now in ECW region it strikes me odd. However in WcW Austin would beat Sabu but i still voted for Sabu anyway.

I would seriously like to know why the thread was moved? The whole fucking point of the debate we had for the last day, prior to votes opening was based on ECW rules. Moving the thread is essentially changing the rules as you go, so can someone give me the reason why?

This match-up was originally supposed to be in the WCW section. It was an error that was corrected. Nothing more, nothing less. Sorry your picks might have been thrown off, but after going back and looking at all the matches I honestly don't think any of them were vitally effected. Those who were going to win are still going to win - an ECW stipulation, or lack thereof, won't change that. And to me that really proves the merit of a wrestler; if someone is truly the best, he should be able to win no matter what gimmick or situation he is thrown into.

Interesting fact: Sabu was undefeated in WCW. ;)

But seriously, I voted for Sabu. Sabu put his body on the line every single time he stepped in that ring, and he did it for nearly 20 years. I saw this guy at a house show, in the original ECW and in the WWE ECW, where there was hardly anyone there and he still went out and did his thing. The guy deserves a lot credit for the sacrifices he made for the benefit of the fans. And he was a good wrestler, too. I don't give a fuck what anyone says... you take away all the weapons and he could still put on a good match. Did he suck on the microphone? Yes, that's why he never became a bigger deal, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was still a damn fine and innovative professional wrestler for many, many years.

As far as Austin... he's cool today, but his hot run only lasted a couple of years and he was a major douchebag the entire time. Fuck him. I also love how all the Sabu haters throughout this thread love to make fun of Sabu's botches, but who suffered more life threatening injuries and was FORCED to retire sooner than he would have liked? That's right... Steve Austin. So obviously Sabu wasn't as reckless and shit as some of you say, and his longevity proves that.

People forget Sabu was trained by his uncle The Sheik. A guy who could legitimatley wrestle. Yes Sabu is best known for being a hardcore wrestler, but when push comes to shove (as is the case against Steve Austin) he could mat wrestle. In fact the combination of hardcore and mat wrestling would work in Sabu's favour

Austin's crushing him, so maybe this isn't worth the post I'm about to create. Oh well.

Interesting fact: Sabu was undefeated in WCW. ;)

But seriously, I voted for Sabu. Sabu put his body on the line every single time he stepped in that ring, and he did it for nearly 20 years. I saw this guy at a house show, in the original ECW and in the WWE ECW, where there was hardly anyone there and he still went out and did his thing. The guy deserves a lot credit for the sacrifices he made for the benefit of the fans. And he was a good wrestler, too. I don't give a fuck what anyone says... you take away all the weapons and he could still put on a good match. Did he suck on the microphone? Yes, that's why he never became a bigger deal, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was still a damn fine and innovative professional wrestler for many, many years.

I don't disagree with any of this. Still shouldn't go over Austin.

As far as Austin... he's cool today, but his hot run only lasted a couple of years

1997 through 2002, actually. That's five years, not two. Also, we probably shouldn't blame him for his career being cut short.

and he was a major douchebag the entire time.

Really? How so?

I also love how all the Sabu haters throughout this thread love to make fun of Sabu's botches, but who suffered more life threatening injuries and was FORCED to retire sooner than he would have liked? That's right... Steve Austin.

Oh, right, let's blame him for this...

[YOUTUBE]tQoJRYHuWSY[/YOUTUBE]

That argument holds not a single ounce of water, and you know it.

So obviously Sabu wasn't as reckless and shit as some of you say, and his longevity proves that.

You're right. The only problem he has here is being inferior to Steve Austin in nearly every imaginable way.

1997 through 2002, actually. That's five years, not two. Also, we probably shouldn't blame him for his career being cut short.

Austin missed about a year and a few months during that time all put together, so it's more like 3 and a half years.

Really? How so?

He even admits it. Like I said, today he is cool as fuck. You can look at his Twitter and see that, but during his hot streak he was a steroid using, woman abusing, backstage political stab-you-in-the-back piece of shit.

Oh, right, let's blame him for this...

[YOUTUBE]tQoJRYHuWSY[/YOUTUBE]

That argument holds not a single ounce of water, and you know it.

Austin says he didn't protect himself properly on that spot, and his countless knee and back injuries are more of a reason why he retired early than his neck injury.

And my point wasn't to trash Austin there. My point was to defend Sabu. People call him reckless and say he botches all the time, but if all that was really true, how in the hell did he last so long in the business?

He even admits it. Like I said, today he is cool as fuck. You can look at his Twitter and see that, but during his hot streak he was a steroid using, woman abusing, backstage political abusing piece of shit.

I don't recall him saying he did or did not use steroids. It's possible he has said that, I just haven't seen or read that. Debra said that. She also said he whipped her ass. Did he? Fuck if I know. I don't exactly trust the word of a woman I perceive to be a gold digging tramp.

Did he abuse his power backstage? I don't know that, either. Where did you see that? I know stories of him doing so aren't really out there, not like they are with guys like Nash, Hogan or even HBK/HHH.

I think you believe he was like this, but I'm not sure you can prove it.

Austin says he didn't protect himself properly on that spot, and his countless knee and back injuries are more of a reason why he retired early than his neck injury.

Of course he's going to say that... Owen's dead. However, I've seen many Austin interviews, and he still has no clue why Owen sat out the way he did. He wasn't supposed to do that. That's a fact. That was 100% Owen's fault.

And my point wasn't trash Austin there. My point was to defend Sabu. People call him reckless and say he botches all the time, but if that were really true, how in the hell did he last so long in the business?

Sabu has eight votes. I'd say that's a victory all by itself, against a guy like Austin.

I'm confused. This is the WCW region, not ECW right? Where does it say anything about being an extreme rule match? Either way, I'd say a man who has toppled HBK, Taker, Foley, & HHH can pull out enough to beat Sabu. I would've loved to see Sabue vs. Foley match up, so I can at least act like Sabu has a chance.

I'm confused. This is the WCW region, not ECW right? Where does it say anything about being an extreme rule match? Either way, I'd say a man who has toppled HBK, Taker, Foley, & HHH can pull out enough to beat Sabu. I would've loved to see Sabue vs. Foley match up, so I can at least act like Sabu has a chance.

They messed up 3 of there 4 brackets so alot of the original arguments here in the WCW region were changed because this was ECW and now is WCW.

I like Sabu. His chair springboard moonsault thing is one of my favourite moves in wrestling history, and I don't care that he missed it a lot. CM Punk botches a lot of moves, but nobody seems to hold it against him. I have seen him have to reshoot the end to one of his matches on separate occasions, before anyone starts crying about that.

The sad fact is though that as much as I wasn't really into Austin, and that I think much of his popularity came from the audience hating Vince McMahon rather than liking him, there's no way that he would lose this match. He was a bigger star, a bigger draw and far more successful than Sabu in practically every way, and has to take this.

I like Sabu. His chair springboard moonsault thing is one of my favourite moves in wrestling history, and I don't care that he missed it a lot. CM Punk botches a lot of moves, but nobody seems to hold it against him. I have seen him have to reshoot the end to one of his matches on separate occasions, before anyone starts crying about that.

The sad fact is though that as much as I wasn't really into Austin, and that I think much of his popularity came from the audience hating Vince McMahon rather than liking him, there's no way that he would lose this match. He was a bigger star, a bigger draw and far more successful than Sabu in practically every way, and has to take this.

I don't think that last part is accurate at all. Austin's heel character started getting cheered in like late 1996 and by Wrestlemania he was a babyface after losing to Bret Hart. Despite not being champion for another year, he was largely over and people were clamoring for it. The WWF was just waiting for the right time to make him champ. The McMahon character was born with the screwjob but had Austin not come around, I figure the hatred for McMahon would have died down until another real life thing happened that pissed people off. Having Austin's character be anti-authority kept McMahon as a character relevant moreso than McMahon's character helped Austin.

As for this vote, glad it turned out the way it did. I'm not Austin's biggest fan but Sabu? Really? I'm not sure he even belongs in the tournament and he certainly doesn't belong in a ring with Steve Austin. Glad he ended up losing soundly as he should.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back