WCW Houston, Round 1, Match 2: #31 Jim Duggan vs. #34 Billy Kidman

Discussion in 'WCW Region' started by Shocky, Mar 27, 2009.

?

Jim Duggan vs. Kidman

1. Hoooo!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Kidman

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

The following match takes place in the WCW Region under WCW Rules from Houston, Tx. The ring and entrance ramp are the same height.

#31. "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
    [​IMG]

vs.

#34. Billy Kidman
    [​IMG]

2. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

On these boards, we kick the term "laborious" around quite a bit.

That's what I felt about Duggan his entire career.

He was a fun guy to watch, he got the crowd into it, but in the end he was a bulky worker with a few big power moves and an IQ roughly that of Forrest Gump, tough guy!

Kidman, on the other hand, showed both mat wrestling prowess as well as high flying ability. Along with Jericho, Mysterio, and the Radicalz, Kidman was among the most accomplished - and successful - of the Cruiserweights. He won tag team and Cruiserweight titles in both WCW and WWE, and almost got the US Title off of Jeff Jarrett. He was a fairly big part of a few factions, including Raven's flock, the Filthy Animalz, and the New Blood.

3. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

I'm going to say Kidman here, but I could be convinced not to. Kidman was really over in WCW, and one of my favourites on Nitro when I was an undropped Tastycle.

I've never seen anything from Duggan that hasn't led me to believe that he is a completely one dimensional character. He was popular in the 80s, but the cheapest form of popularity possible. I think Kidman is skilled enough to outwit Duggan and win this one.

4. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

Kidman. Duggan was a blubbering oaf for 90% of his career or so. Kidman has pinned Hulk Hogan. Kidman will obviously have issues with the size and power, but I don't think he'll have enough of one to lose here.

5. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Even though Duggan wrestled in WCW, I never found him that impressive in the ring. Kidman was an accomplished cruiserweight and he will utilize the ring far better than Duggan to get the victory.

6. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

I was a huge, huge fan of Jim Duggan as a kid, and part of me will always remain a fan of his. He was so damn fun to watch, and he's just a lovable guy. I quite enjoyed his run both in the WWF and in WCW.

Kidman is another guy though I've always been a fan of. At one point in time, Raven was my second favorite wrestler in WCW right behind Sting, so I fucking loved the Flock with a passion. And Kidman was my third favorite member of the group right behind Raven and Saturn, so that’s where I first became a big fan. After the Flock, he continued to flourish with excellent matches being apart of the Animals, and also having an underrated feud against Hulk Hogan, in which Hogan actually put over Kidman. And in WWE, of course Kidman was underutilized, but he still managed to have some terrific matches, especially during his tag run with Rey Mysterio.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I think I like these guys equally, just for extremely different reasons. So, whoever ends up getting their ass kicked in the poll, I'll just vote for the loser. And if it's somehow close, then I'll just based my votes on the wrestler who gets the best praise in this thread, which so far is obviously Billy Kidman. But there has to be some Duggan marks out there.

7. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

FACT. Duggan in his prime never got pinned. So if he never get's pinned by people his own size, then how is he going to get pinned by a sloppy Cruiserweight? Answers on a postcard.

8. NSL

NSL Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh

I'm voting for Kidman, but only because this is WCW. In a WWE ring, Kidman would'nt be able to use his speed as well, and Duggan would just beat him into the mat. In a WCW ring however, Kidman can bounce off the ropes, and use the smaller ring to get some momentum going. Duggan will still land a few nice shots, but it won't be enough to beat a Shooting Star Press that would make Evan Bourne cream himself.

9. Y 2 Jake

A smaller ring to get momentum going? That doesn't make any sense. He'd need a bigger ring to get momentum going. Less space equals less room to move. Less space to run. The smaller ring helps Duggan to pin him down.

And Billy Kidman used to miss most of his SSPresses.

10. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

This is close for me. I think Kidman could pull the upset here, but I'm leaning towards Hacksaw. Kidman will use the ring to his advantage and use his speed to beat Duggan. But I think Hacksaw can hit his little football shoulder block type finisher. And then he'll start chanting "USA...USA". The crowd will be behind both stars, and I'm gonna give the slight edge to Duggan.

11. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

Kidman will actually be outmatched in size here and Jim Dugann was a beast in his prime.

A vote for Dugann is a vote for USA!

12. Thriller Ant

Thriller Ant Beep Bop Boop

Kidman will take this match. The WCW gives Kidman a huge advantage. Not only did the best period of his career come in WCW, but the ring also gives an advantage for the cruiserweights. He was always in the CW title picture, was a tag team champ a few times in both WCW and WWE, and, as was mentioned earlier, pinned Hulk Hogan. All of this going for a guy whose opponent's biggest accolade was winning the first Royal Rumble. Kidman wins with the Shooting Star Press.

13. AnthonyMango/NoFate007

AnthonyMango/NoFate007 A Post Is Worth A Thousand Words

C'mon. This is DUGGAN we're talking about. Even if Billy Kidman isn't a main event level guy, he's facing DUGGAN - a guy who's greatest accomplishment in the eyes of most fans is being "that weird looking oaf with the 2x4 who says HOOOOOOOOOOOOO". Sure, he's got a US and TV title reign under his name from WCW, and he won the first Royal Rumble back when it meant absolutely nothing, but Kidman's got 3 tag titles and 3 Cruiserweight titles in his WCW career, and 4 more Cruiserweights and 1 more tag title if you add in his WWE career.

Duggan has never been the type of guy who is so big and powerful that he doesn't need to be fast. He's not someone like Yokozuna or Vader who could completely no-sell someone's attacks. Duggan is more on par with an average wrestler that is stocky in build and unable to move quicker than freaking Umaga lol. So if you could have a cruiserweight like Evan Bourne chop down a guy like Kane with kicks, how can a guy like Duggan withstand more from a guy like Kidman? It'd basically translate into a match between a slightly bigger guy against a much faster opponent.

Who wins in comic books between the random no-named "big bodyguard" of the mobster when he's facing the Flash? Exactly.

Billy Kidman wins this and then gets destroyed in the next round if he's facing someone who has legitimate "upper midcard" skills.

14. Big Sexy

Big Sexy Deadly Rap Cannibal

You have to go with Duggan here. I honestly don't remember him losing any matches during his first run in the WWE. I'm sure he lost a couple but nothing sticks out. He beat guys like Ted Dibiase before making to the WWE. Then while in the WWE he won the first ever Royal Rumble, had wins over the likes of Harley Race, Haku, Rick Rude,and the Big Bossman. While in WCW he defeated Steve Austin in 35 seconds to win the US Title. Duggan didn't face too many small guys like Kidman during his career so the match would be close, but Duggan would overpower him in the end and get the win.

15. Y 2 Jake

Duggan was in WCW.

Really? One poster said the ring was smaller. I see that being beneficial for the larger man.

Duggan pinned Steve Austin in a matter of seconds when his best years were behind him.

Nobody remembers most of the career of Billy Kidman. But at least Duggan will always feature each year in a hype promo.

Oh and one still has a job as an active wrestler, the other is a trainer.

16. Y 2 Jake

He was also a territory star.

US Title > Cruiserweight Title.

If it didn't mean nothing then why did they have another one?

But who remembers them?

Err, Umaga is fast. Great comparison. Umaga used to destroy people in just the same way.

Would Evan Bourne have chopped down the Kane of 1997?

Much faster, really?

You're talking like Jim Duggan wasn't dominant in the mid 80's. He was. You're also talking like Billy Kidman was dominant at any time. He wasn't.

Nah.

17. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

Kidman?? really?? over the top of one of the most consistently and largely over superstars in the history of wrestling??? Are you shitting me?? What in the bluest of blue fucks has Kidman ever done?? He was a decent competitor, with fine enough skills, but no one will remember ANYTHING he did. Be serious. Duggan FTW

18. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Billy Kidman, holy shit, how in the hell is he in double digits. The guy is a giant pile of suck that accomplished exactly what, Cruiserweight dominance, hooray. Duggan, like it or not, was a "King", was a royal Rumble winner, and a United States Champion. Any of those accolades trumps the Cruiser title in every way shape or form. What in the hell does Billy Kidman have in his arsenal that would keep Duggan on the mat long enough to perform a shooting star press. Um, yeah, didn't think so.

Duggan is a large man, and anything Kidman would do would result in Kidman landing on his back. Duggan should win this with no problem what so ever. Tough Guy

19. Loveless

Loveless A Life In Monochrome

I don't mind Kidman, he had some skills, he was also something of a spotmonkey but did it well.
    Duggan is someone i've got a long forgotten affection for and was reasonably credible before all his health problems. I mean he was no Arn Anderson but he was credible. Watching him in the WWE makes me sad and almost tempted to vote against him but i won't. Kidman flies around, using his speed until Duggan clubs him down, 3-point charge and it's all over.

20. Cena's Little Helper

Cena's Little Helper Mid-Card Championship Winner

Kidman is so overrated it's not even funny. I remember people telling me how good he was and how I thought they were insane after I got to see what he was all about. Just like Jarrett, Kidman only got notice in WCW out of desperation. Had The Attitude Era not come about, Kidman's biggest career highlight would have been being a lackey in Raven's Flock.

On the other hand, you have Duggan, who had an idiotic gimmick that was nonetheless very over from the 80s to the mid-90s. And, this man hardly ever lost cleanly in his prime, as Jake has already mentioned. I don't think the choice could be more obvious.

Pick: Duggan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.