Want to be a recognizable poster on WZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
I routinely run through threads in the wrestling forums of Wrestlezone, and I see some very interesting and thought-provoking posts. The problem is, very few of them I recognize the poster behind them. So I got to thinking about ways to make yourself recognizable to others. Here are some suggestions, provided by one of the most recognizable members of the forum, and a many year veteran of message boards.

1) Signature Banner - A good signature banner is one of the easiest ways to be recognized. If you have a signature banner that is original and of good quality, then you will trigger automatic recognition from others from your posts. The easiest way to start getting yourself over is a unique signature banner.

2) Use an Avatar - I realize that Avatar options are limited, but, at first, find an avatar that you can cling to for a while. Whether it's right or not, posters tend to ignore posters who don't use an Avatar...for whatever reason, posters without Avatars are not taken as seriously. Until you build up a reputation for yourself, find an avatar that people can use to recognize you, and stick with it for a while.

3) Find something you are good at, and hammer it. For example, when I first got to WZ, I was known as the "Cena Defender", the guy who would find every Cena thread, and take on all people who said he sucked as a wrestler. That is how I first made my name. Find something that you know a lot about, have strong opinions about, and really go at it.

3a) If you aren't confident in any knowledge you have, adopt a gimmick. For example, Eternal Dragon ends all of her posts with "Flames Out", or something like that. Find something you can use that people will recognize you for. Don't pick a stupid gimmick though...people will red rep you to hell, and then you'll have a bad reputation. Another example would be my gimmick as a "Cena Defender" or as "The Tireless Debater". Find something you can hang your hat on, or find a gimmick that will make you stand out.

4) Use proper punctuation and capitalization, and don't butcher grammar and spelling. If you can write properly, the chances of people taking you seriously go up substantially.

5) Don't spam - Spammers don't last long, and even if you are knowledgeable, you can find yourself with a bad reputation early.

6) If you have a good sense of Internet humor, visit the Bar Room. People who are funny in the Bar Room find themselves with a good reputation early. If you don't have a good sense of humor, like Klunkerbunker for example, then just make your name with quality posts in the wrestling forums. People will take note.

7) Put time into you posts. People who just write the first thing that comes to mind, and don't put thought into their posts are just wasting your time. Craft your posts, and make sure you can support what you are saying. Put time into your posts, and there's never been a post that has been considered bad because it was too long. Put time into your posts.

These are all I can think of at the moment. As an Administrator and a "respected" member of the forum, I provide this tutorial in order to help the newer posters on the forum to make a name for themselves. If you have any questions, feel free to PM Klunker. Thanks.

Sly, I'd like to both verify these great ideas, and also add one more.

I think the biggest mistake the rookie and mid-card posters make is that they follow many of the rules above, get good at a section, earn rep, and then for no reason other than boredom or curiosity, they change their name to something totally different, and lose all of their heat.

I never changed my name ONCE prior to becoming Admin. Never once. I was always "IrishCanadian25." Then, I started signing my PM's and infractions or warnings with "IC25," or speaking about myself in the third person using the "IC25" nickname. It caught fire, and then people started calling me "IC." Even though I prefer "IC25" so I don't get mixed up with a mid-card title belt.

With the sections, I got good at old school, and then, I carved out a gimmick - "The Best of the 90's." That series of threads launched me.

As for becoming "known" for something, I was known as the poster with the crazy vocabulary. The vocab words I use on WZ (epitome, harkens, harbinger, personifies, etc.) all kinda highlighted my posts.

When last year's WZ Tournament came up and I backed Vader with a vehemence (see: above, vocab word) rarely seen for a superheavyweight, and then the music tournament - well, that's my WZ resume in a nut shell.

Being a bar fly makes you "a regular," but as far as respected top posters, follow Sly's rules, make a name for yourself, and DON'T CHANGE IT EVERY MONTH! Becker. 48.7. TM.

I don't even know if I should post in here, but it's open and in the Cigar Lounge, so I will give it my best.

Some people on this board are known for like one thing. Like Slyfox said, he was the Cena defender, and when I joined WZ I knew that because of all the other boards he used to post on. We also have our ROH fans and Original ECW fans for some unknown reason. I always stuck to my gut. I became the defender of everything Pittsburgh, from the Steelers to the Pens, to the City as a whole. I just spit nonsense and everyone takes offense to that..

I am a bar room regular, and a sports stadium regular. I just have the ability to piss people off.

So, I can agree with what the people above me said, except for IC's name changing remark. I didn't change my name for like a year, and I way already an arrogant bastard before that, so everyone already knew me....

I agree with everyone's post in here as you kinda got to be known for a certain thing. For me after a month that I joined WZ & came back from being banned, I went to the Book This section of the forums & started up Hustlaz Championship Wrestling. I just kept putting my mind & my creative flow into it & pretty soon I became known as that poster who writes those great HCW shows & eventually all that made me improve myself as an overall poster as I normally post in everywhere except the bar room(I only post in there on occasion).

Basically what i'm saying is that to become a recognizable poster on here, just find your niche on whatever section it is & just start making valid threads & posts in there & it will be all good.

Obviously I seem to lack every single point Slyfox has made, so thanks for the insight.

One query I have though is the avatar point. I have tried many a times to pick an avatar, but when I click on the link to do this, where each picture should be is a red x in the top corner meaning I can't see what the avatar is. Is there any way to sort this?

Apart from that, thanks for the time to show us how to improve. I will try working on it.

I agree with #4 the most. Whenever I read through the different threads, I can always tell if it is Slyfox696, NoFate007, and IC25 (just to name a few) who use proper punctuation and grammar before even looking at their names. I have always used good punctuation and grammar so that my posts can stand out and make sure that are clear to the people that are reading them. If you take five minutes to disagree with somebody's opinion, you can at least take the time to use good grammar while you are doing it.

Reactions: X
Another option that you might want to try is the one that I tried: challenge one of the big names here. From what I've been told, I got noticed for the times when I first debated with Sly and for when I caught IC with an insult about Jericho. IC was shut down and I was on the map. There's no shame in losing a debate to someone with more experience than you have (it's really ok Sly. We still like the little broken pieces left of you after I beat you) as long as you put up a good fight. People respect hard debating. Just keep your cool and don't start insulting people and you'll get noticed.

Sly, this is a great thread for newcomers. I've been around here for a few years and I notice alot of new posters making many of the mistakes that have been listed here. Everyone has given great ideas thus far. If I could throw my 2 cents in, I would also like to mention that calling people names (even as PG as "idiot") is not helpful. It doesn't get your point across more clearly and it borders on flaming. And please, for God's sake, use complete sentences. Making a post is not the equivelent of sending a text message. Spell out your words and use punctuation!

We also have our ROH fans and Original ECW fans for some unknown reason.

Hmmmm....I feel like I've been singled out...... ;)

It all boils down to knowing your stuff, having proper grammar, and not being stupid enough to insult people when you're beaten in debates.

And standing out. I'm known as the Huge Stan Hansen mark in the forum. IC25 has Vader, NorCal has Hogan, Sly has Cena.

It all boils down to knowing your stuff, having proper grammar, and not being stupid enough to insult people when you're beaten in debates.

And standing out. I'm known as the Huge Stan Hansen mark in the forum. IC25 has Vader, NorCal has Hogan, TM has Santino, Sly has Cena.

I think Rusty would argue that.

Also about the name change, I must say that I think people will recognize me even if I get a name change, for those who get a name change, make sure people know who you are when you do, because it can get confusing. I always keep the TM in mine.

Awesome thread.

The problem I have is that I can't watch wrestling. I am the a-typical internet wrestling fan. I feel at an extreme disadvantage here sometimes, so I used to keep myself to the efed, then the spam zone, then the bar room and the occasional tourney thread.

I still am a total lurker and will post very occasionally. Mainly because Youtube can't provide the insight that 3-6 hours per week of wrestling TV can.

I'm not too versed in the subject of becoming a better poster, but I think I can offer a few suggestions.

New posters should focus on what they know, but at the same time they should try their hand in all areas of the forum. I've focused on the bar since I learned about it and now I don't think I'd be very recognizable in other sections.

Unless you feel completely solid on a topic, don't make huge 'earth-shattering' statements like "Wrestling's Current Situation Is Your Fault". Threads like that will probably get you heat...bad heat.

Don't start repping until you get 50 posts and get a little bit of rep for yourself. People may end up labeling you as a noob before you even get off the ground.

Don't be afraid of experienced posters. If you one up them without actin arrogant they will probably react in a positive manner.

I disagree with IC25. Use vocab that you feel comfortable with. If you try to use big words that you don't have a firm grasp on you may come off as a pseudo-intellectual which has a worse effect than using more simplistic diction.

Avoid txt words.

Instead of using 'vocab' words, you should work on grammar and syntax. More people will read your posts if they look well organized and coherent.

I can't think of much else off hand, but being respectful and staying informed on your topics will help you get by.

You want to get recognized? Either start frequenting The Bar Room or join WZCW. There are very few people here who have been recognized for their efforts without either becoming a Bar Room regular or a member of WZCW. And, a majority of the aforementioned people don't even visit these forums that often (e.g., Dragonslayer, LigerBomb, and Azrael Cain).

Is this a good recongnizable avatar?

I don't consider myself a "recognizable poster", but I think I know what it takes. First of all, grammar and formatting. I pretty much ignore people who don't use capitals or paragraphs, and just have massive blobs of texts.

I agree that the Bar Room helps, since most of the well known posters are in there often and you can get to know them.

I also try to stay with stuff that I know, which is mainly WWE. It also helps that it is easier to argue with some of the less intelligent posters there. After that, I'm hoping to get into more debates with the smarter, well-known posters such as IC.

Based on my plan, I should be main eventing Wrestlemania within 3 years.

I think Rusty would argue that.

Also about the name change, I must say that I think people will recognize me even if I get a name change, for those who get a name change, make sure people know who you are when you do, because it can get confusing. I always keep the TM in mine.

True, Sly has LUGER...and does defend Cena relentlessly. If I do change it, I keep the Lariat or Lariato in the name, that way, people know it's me. If a great poster will full rep posts something and all of a sudden, his name's Wild Bill Irwin's Bullwhip, then that will throw some people off. But I would mark the eff out if NorCal changed his name to Naked Bret Hart or some variation of it.

Being a recognizable poster doesn't mean having a major amount of posts, that comes later, when I started there was a group of them that you recognize and develop with. Shockey, Norcal, Xfear and myself all started around the same time and we have all at the very least been mod.

Develop something that makes you stand out, Shockey with the Wrestlezone Tournament, and I had the Wrestler of the Week thread that went for just over a year.

If you care about post count, choose someone that has a similar number of posts as you and beat them to the next total that is somewhat significant, whether that be 100 posts, or 1000. Try and make an Avatar your own, Until the new avatars came in I owned the David Flair one for no other reason than I could be distinctive with it because noone else had it. Unless you have a reason to, keep your sig the same for a long period of time, it looks better and it is another way to identify yourself.

Make good posts, smart and intelligent posts that can be analyzed 10 ways from sunday are usually going to be good as that means a great deal for people that want to go through and make a debate over a topic, while you may be torn to shreds, try come back and tear their argument to shreds using a similar tactic. If you lose a debate think about why you were brought around to their way of thinking and apply that in future to do the other where you are bringing people around to your way of thinking. Looking at a wider range of related topics to define yourself within the frame of reference of the thread bring in anything that makes your point. If you need to bring in reference to World War II go for it, if it makes sense within the thread.

I know I'm not recongizable at all. And I'm fine with that, because I take people by surprise if I make good posts. The only thing I really have going for me is my name. I guess it might be a gimmick, since people always message me about it. But I don't mind being easily forgettable, because people don't have high expectations for me.

I'm not too versed in the subject of becoming a better poster

Understatement. :)

I disagree with IC25. Use vocab that you feel comfortable with. If you try to use big words that you don't have a firm grasp on you may come off as a pseudo-intellectual which has a worse effect than using more simplistic diction.

Murfish also brings up a great point - make sure you READ what you are responding to. For example, Murfish is now saying that he disagrees with me. But what may confuse you is exactly WHAT he is disagreeing with...

IC25 said:
As for becoming "known" for something, I was known as the poster with the crazy vocabulary. The vocab words I use on WZ (epitome, harkens, harbinger, personifies, etc.) all kinda highlighted my posts.

What you'll notice is that, in this original post, NO WHERE did I actually suggest to new posters that they use huge vocab words to get over. Never once. I said that it was one thing I have done to highlight / create uniqueness in my posts.

So, Murfish has disagreed with a statement I never made, all because he responded without reading or comprehending my statement. As a result, he's been pwned in this thread and red repped for his efforts. I think he's done a great job of providing a demonstration of what not to do. Thank you, Murfish!

Understatement. :)

Murfish also brings up a great point - make sure you READ what you are responding to. For example, Murfish is now saying that he disagrees with me. But what may confuse you is exactly WHAT he is disagreeing with...

What you'll notice is that, in this original post, NO WHERE did I actually suggest to new posters that they use huge vocab words to get over. Never once. I said that it was one thing I have done to highlight / create uniqueness in my posts.

So, Murfish has disagreed with a statement I never made, all because he responded without reading or comprehending my statement. As a result, he's been pwned in this thread and red repped for his efforts. I think he's done a great job of providing a demonstration of what not to do. Thank you, Murfish!

I'll be honest when I say that I just skimmed your post. I noticed what you actually said later. I decided to keep the post as it was because I still made a valid point about trying to appear smart. I wasn't attacking your intelligence, IC. I was just putting a warning out there for everyone else.

I don't really see being a recognizable poster that important. I just pop in, make a few posts and have a few debates for fun. I'm not coming on here when I can to become recognizable. I'm doing it because I enjoy it. If people recognize me, that's nice, but if they don't it doesn't matter because I'll still be enjoying posting on here.

I'm the opposite of most these people. I'm noticeable because of all the shit I've done, but I rarely make good posts :p. My advice is to just come to the Bar Room. It increased my enjoyment of Wrestlezone in a huge way, and you end up making all sorts of friends (and enemies) in their, and it's just a lot of fun. So definitely introduce yourself to us!

No offense prim...but who the hell are you?

EDIT: Just realized thats far too short. Or was reminded. Whatever.

Umm. So yes Prim, who exactly are you?.

I think I started to get noticed here initially for my foul mouth and verbal-debate beatdowns. And probably for having just as sick and macabre of a sense of humor as Jake. We pride ourselves at finding things like snuff films and paralyzed kittens hilarious. And dysentery.

He's Jane. Er, no one really. ;)

I say, just don't come in and act like well, hot shit. *Cough* Unholy Profit *Cough* It gets you hated pretty quick, and once you're hated, it's pretty hard to bounce back from. *Cough* 48.7 *Cough*...

Speaking of that 48.7 guy, he's a jerk. Don't be like him.

I'd just say stand by your guns without being a dick (as quite a few people do), if someone argues back, try being subtle and manipulative as you tear them a new ass rather than just throwing insults at each other like toddlers in the sandbox, and just have fun.

The Mark of Zur-En-Arrh isn't particularly recognisable (although people are probably wondering where aG3Nt_0f_cHa0s went) except as the guy who always has a Batman sig, but i'm happy to give random comments in the Bar Room and non-wrestling forums, as well as the LD. I've kind of stopped reviewing PPVs and don't go in the WWE forums much anymore, because all i see are the same thread titles but re-worded every time i do, and i don't watch the product frequently enough to comment with conviction, so i'm happy.

One thing i would advise though, if you really care about being recognised by the WZ big leagues, take part in all the tournies. I never do and is probably a big reason why i'm not recognised as much as others, but that's fine by me anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back