Video Game Music

Combination of two of my favorite things... Halo 2 and Breaking Benjamin. The music plays during the level Outskirts, which is posted below if you are unfamiliar with it.

I like it because it fits perfectly with the mission, battling through the streets of Old Mombasa, and I have loved BB since they came out with the CD Saturate in 2002.

Haven't seen anything Kirby in here, so I'll start it off. Maybe someone will pick up and continue it for me. if not... fuck you.
But seriously, the theme in Kirby Super Star Spring Breeze for battling King Dedede, which is pretty much just a remix of the music played when you battle King Dedede in Kirby's Dreamland, which is posted below.

Love Kirby, as it is my favorite Nintendo franchise (besides Pokemon). I in particular like the intro of the music, as well as towards the end when it starts to pick up a bit more pace. Always loved the classic Nintendo music, and Kirby is for damn sure no exception.

One of my favorite songs was Sagat's stage on Street Fighter II: Championship Edition on SNES. Aside from that, I like all the zone music from the Original Sonic, particualrly the Spring Yard zone. Sonic 2 was more updated, the best zone music there was Chemical Plant, Metropolis, Aquatic Ruin, Emerald Hill, and Casinio Night Zones.

Been a few days. Continuing the (my) Kirby theme:

I like the music for Dyna Blade because (a) it's one of my favorite battles in the Kirby franchise and (b) it kind of gives a sense of hopelessness (? maybe that's just me), which if you don't have a power that can attack at an upward angle, than yeah, you are hopeless.
More Kirby music coming soon.

Continuing my Kirby theme, we move on to one of my personal favorites, the Great Cave Offensive. There will be multiple themes from this game, so bear with me... first, the intro:

I really like the sound of the intro because it really suits the purpose of this game, which isn't necessarily to defeat the bosses (as is the case of most Kirby games), but to have a good adventure in search of the lost treasures. The music is literally good enough for me to sit and watch the whole intro video to Great Cave Offensive, which NEVER happens for any game to me, except either (a) when you can't skip it, or (b) when I play the newest Pokemon game for the first time.
More "Kirby: The Great Cave Offensive" themes coming soon.

Next with the Great Cave Offensive...

My personal favorite, the Computer Virus theme. It's basically just an 8-bit mix of the standard Kirby boss battle. I like it because it sounds nostalgic, and it fits the battle, which is in my top 5 of favorite Kirby boss battles.
More Great Cave Offensive soon.

Next up, the Mine Cart Theme. Don't know why, but I loved it. It's just really upbeat, and any time I hear it I think, "Bitch, I'm a pink puffball riding in a mine cart laying waste to enemies. What you got?"
But seriously, I just like how upbeat it is and think it's a good transitional theme from area to area.
That about does it for GCO, but more Kirby music soon.

Guess I'll chime in with some of my favorite songs, since it seems to be what the cool kids are doing.

[youtube]JbXVNKtmWnc[/youtube]

First, I have to go with my favorite Final Fantasy of them all, Final Fantasy VI, and mention Dancing Mad - the four part final boss theme which introduces you to a new section of the piece each time a part of the boss is conquered (see the original SNES version for the best method of melding the piece together - the GBA version screws it up royally.) Ultimately, after beating the 3rd tier of the boss, the organ strikes up that familiar opening theme, Kefka descends, and the theme really picks up. If you last long enough (or force Kefka to last long enough), the familiar sound of Kefka's laugh completes the track prior to the loop. Beautifully composed throughout the battle, this is one of the SNES's best tracks.

[youtube]UxtPCpPUCdw[/youtube]

Second, switching gears to my second favorite video game series, the Tales series, I have to go with "Fighting of the Spirit" from Tales of Symphonia. Anytime Sheena attempts to forge a pact with any of the world's Summon Spirits, she (and the remainder of the party) are forced to fight the Spirit as part of the test. The theme used for the battle is quick, catchy, and really drives the complexity of the battles.

[youtube]gBgFH27e4Dk[/youtube]

Third, I must make mention to Zelda's red-headed stepchild of the series, Zelda II, and bring up the beautiful Palace theme. However, I feel this song really was brought out in Super Smash Bros. Melee on the Temple stage. A great song that set the tone for the complicated fights deep in the Temples.

[youtube]zpVIM8de2xw[/youtube]

Fourth, while I've seen a few mentions of Mega Man 2, I'm going to take it to his next adventure, Mega Man 3, and bring up Snake Man's theme song. While many Mega Man songs can get mentioned, I may feel a special attachment to Snake Man, as this was the first stage I ever played in a Mega Man game, and instantly fell in love with the music of this series. (On a side note, Snake Man's theme, along with Guts Man and Heat Man themes, were remixed in Mega Man 7 for the Robot Museum stage:)
[youtube]BPOXSlzlbKo[/youtube]

[youtube]JS7XVMNNZI8[/youtube]

Finally, my fifth pick has to go to a new favorite of mine, Xenoblade Chronicles, with its boss theme "One Who Gets In Our Way". Oftentimes played for bosses (such as the Metal Face Mechon), this theme is a great blend of rock and classical type musics to spur you on as you continue on those battles of the game. Monado, lend us your power!!

(Ok I lied, I have to include Rainbow Road from Mario Kart 64. Just too awesome!!)

[youtube]ty4CBnWeEKE[/youtube]

Wow, I thought I was the only one posting for a while. Whew.
In my Kirby subject, we move into my 2nd favorite game of Kirby... "Revenge of Meta Knight."

I like the music because it is very eerie and sets the tone for the oddities to come in the game. That, and all the music from ROMK is great, but more on that later.
But, yes, a very odd song, if one could truly call it that. The best is yet to come, though, so bare with me.

With the release of Resident Evil 6 in a couple of weeks, felt I had to come back and bring a couple more tunes up, starting with a real heart tugging song from Resident Evil 5:

[YOUTUBE]goj1i8kTCPY[/YOUTUBE]

"Sad But True" plays as Chris and Sheva attempt to save Jill from the mind control device implanted on her chest. Chris pleads with Jill to come to her senses long enough to allow Chris and Sheva to remove the device. This theme combines a sense of urgency and despair as you try to save one of Resident Evil's most beloved heroines.

Breaking from the Resident Evil theme now, I feel I have to mention one of my favorite Final Fantasy overworld themes:

[YOUTUBE]W7RPY-oiDAQ[/YOUTUBE]

"Terra" is the theme played as the heroes explore the World of Balance. Not much I can do to describe it, but it is just an overall beautiful peace to listen to.

And finally, a theme from, in my opinion, a very underrated SNES game that I wish Square-Enix and Nintendo would release on the Wii Virtual Console:
[YOUTUBE]m9kEp_sNLJo[/YOUTUBE]

"In the Earthen Womb" plays in Illusion of Gaia after you use a save point and decide not to continue, or throughout other points in the story. Just a beautifully composed piece, I would oftentimes save a game and not continue, leaving this theme playing for an extended time. For a while, this theme was even a Top 25 song on my iPod (yea, I have video game music on my iPod, what of it?!)

And finally, a theme from, in my opinion, a very underrated SNES game that I wish Square-Enix and Nintendo would release on the Wii Virtual Console:
[YOUTUBE]m9kEp_sNLJo[/YOUTUBE]

"In the Earthen Womb" plays in Illusion of Gaia after you use a save point and decide not to continue, or throughout other points in the story. Just a beautifully composed piece, I would oftentimes save a game and not continue, leaving this theme playing for an extended time. For a while, this theme was even a Top 25 song on my iPod (yea, I have video game music on my iPod, what of it?!)

How much video game music do you have on your iPod? Do not feel ashamed of your fandom of that material. If you like it, listen to it. I have damn near two thousand video game tracks on my iPhone, a couple hundred more tracks than I do of "real" music. Like traditional instrumentals, they can bring out far more emotions and memories than most people may think.

As for Illusion of Gaia.... I was always partial to this track:

[YOUTUBE]OCC-fxMCKuM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This plays in various ruins areas that are not inhabited by monsters. It has a calming sound to it, almost letting you know that your ancestors or those who once lived in the ruins are watching you investigate what is left of their civilization, and that everything in the present will be ok. I also liked both the generic monster area theme and boss theme. On the complete opposite theme of the ruins music, they are rather intense and make you feel more obligated to end the fights that much faster. To this day I still hate those two vampire bosses, even if you fought them as Freedan they were harder than all of the other bosses put together.

BOSS THEME
[YOUTUBE]Yh0MfgPPE0w[/YOUTUBE]

MONSTER LAIR THEME
[YOUTUBE]90_BsHujR1I[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another good one.

[YOUTUBE]dGdvT1B-VN8[/YOUTUBE]

This upbeat battle theme plays as you face off against Popple from Mario & Luigi on the GBA. Popple was a comedic relief villain who was a bit of a thorn in your side, you faced him a grand total of 4 times in the game. One of those times he had a sidekick named Rookie who bears an obvious resemblance to a certain other Mario character, to the point where you knew exactly who he was despite the bandana covering his face, but this character had amnesia at the time. It's a fun track that captures the hilarity along the way in a funny yet great game. It should have been the main boss theme, it's better than any of the other battle themes from the game and it makes it into the top tier for any Mario RPG battle theme. There's at least half a dozen Mario RPG's out there now, so that's saying a lot.

It has been a LONG damn time since I posted in this thread, and am I glad I decided to take a look. Illusions of Gaia is one of My ALL-TIME favorite Games. It was a stylish action RPG with an in depth story, fantastic tracks, and an amazing puzzle element that engaged your brain and made the game challenging. My favorite Zone was the Sky Garden. The design of this zone was amazing as Will would be jumping between the top and underside of this flying fortress. And the Music was just as accompanying

[YOUTUBE]eSDJ42SC6sc[/YOUTUBE]

Another one of the Lesser Played, yet great game was the Original Ape Escape for the PlayStation. And while the music in this game is not fantastic it brings back great memories for me. That and it is certainly in line with a 10 year old boy traveling through time catching monkeys.

[YOUTUBE]YKCV0jQxd8E[/YOUTUBE]

I remember this song mostly because the over world park you were in had no music before you entered into the sewers. The techno beat moves this zone along and is fun to listen to.

In a Final Fantasy mood again....

[YOUTUBE]kjTw1Wcjzf8[/YOUTUBE]

This is a town theme that I have always enjoyed and it has been stuck in my head on countless occassions. The track plays in Final Fantasy 8 while you explore the town of Timber. It fits the setting while since you are trying to make your way through the town but constantly feel like you're being watched, the town is under martial law just as the name implies. The dialogue from the townspeople and guards in this area is priceless. One of the funniest scenes in the whole game can be viewed in a scene here where you talk to a guy in an office in the town and he starts rambling about his job and all sorts of other things that have little to do with the actual plot and it makes Squall angry. The camera angle changes a few times, to help show that he has been boring the party for an extremely long time. One of the dialogue options is to bring up the Laguna dreams, but the guy just starts telling stories about his own dreams, much to Squall's disappointment. I recall that scene every time I hear the song and it is one of those tracks that sometimes slips into my head while just relaxing around the house.

Time for something different. I'm not being nostalgic today. The track is about 3 years old so it's not THAT new, but it's new to me. I just discovered it last night. I was blown away by how awesome it was and kept it on repeat for hours.

I've been playing Bowser's Inside Story on the DS lately since I missed out on it originally and have really been enjoying it. Last night someone who knew I was making my way through the game asked me if I had heard the final battle theme yet and when I told them no they recommended I look it up immediately. Originally my next update to this thread was going to be the Giant Bowser battle theme from the same game, but I changed my mind when I found this track. How did I not know about this amazing piece of music!?

Nothing else that I've heard in all my 20+ years of gaming compares to it.... This is the perfect end battle track. It has got to be the best final battle theme that I have EVER heard. Period. Even better than any Final Fantasy final battle. It just has such an epic feel to it, while still fully capturing the silly element seen throughout any Mario RPG game. A perfect blend of epic and silly for the final showdown of a great game. I can't wait to get to the end now just to battle to this song!

There is indeed a tiny bit of a spoiler with it being the final battle theme for those who haven't played the game, so if you do not want what it sounds like to be spoiled then do not click on the spoiler tags. For the rest of you, take a moment to listen whether you are unfamiliar with this song or want to re-live it's epic levels of awesomeness.

[YOUTUBE]Df-mjdvdeuI[/YOUTUBE]

Enjoy the music! :)

This time I'm sharing another track from my favorite game, Tales of Symphonia.

[YOUTUBE]w67wojM5YeM[/YOUTUBE]

The track's name is Forest of the Trent. It plays in a forest on the way to the elven village. The forest contains a puzzle that is both frustrating and rather funny at the same time. You have to make sure that certain fish are eating fruit that falls into the water and that the right plants are growing in the right places. The fact that you are out trying to save the world from destruction but at one particular moment the fate of everyone on the planet lies with you making sure that a little fish gets to eat a fruit that fell into the river all the way on the other side of the forest, and with the way the game was programmed you can't just jump into the water and throw it to the fish which I always found to be very funny.

The song reminds me of this puzzle and I look back on it fondly since songs like this help calm you down when a puzzle may be getting on your nerves. Like many of the tracks I have shared in here it has a calming tone to it. You're in this mysterious forest not truly knowing what to expect, but still feel like everything is going to be ok. Now if only you could get the one specific piece of fruit to the one specific fish that has to eat it, in a more simple way.... :p Oh, and then there's the second half of the forest where you have to chase a little animal since he is showing you the right way to where you need to go next. The song makes me think about chasing that animal sometimes too.

As a huge fan of Monster Hunter, I am a huge fan of the music. The above theme is Tri's theme for the Alatreon. The gongs at the beginning remind me a bit of Taker's toll, and the sick bass and guitar that kick in at 1:15 and 1:25, respectively, are completely bad-ass. I just find this music to fit the bad-ass that is the Alatreon... though a bit overrated he may be.
More music to come from MH, perhaps.

My next Monster Hunter theme is that of the Jhen Mohran. It has superiority ring to it, so to speak, but at that same time has that feel of celebration- for those unaware of the gameplay, every time the Jhen comes to the city, the people have a festival, lowering the prices of goods and such, because they find his coming to be a blessing, and in addition, he has rare ores on his back that you can mine, some of which are exclusive. I like the song because it fits in that aspect, as though it's a Festival... of Fear, so to speak (the mission for hunting the Jhen the first time just so happens to be called The Festival of Fear).

My next addition is the Caedus battle theme, the last monster you face offline. I like this theme because it has a tribal feel to it, and there are actually lyrics to it, as opposed to all other themes, although said lyrics are nearly inaudible- some people say it's Polynesian, but I have no fucking idea. Regardless, a great theme for a fairly good fight in one of my favorite games.

My next addition is the theme for the Deviljho, a brute wyvern that is online-exclusive and typically is only hunted during high-level quests and does not have a standard city quest for itself. The theme fits its unique bad-assness, as it's arguably one of the strongest monsters of the game and has IMO the best armor set in the game.

This week I bring a track from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

[YOUTUBE]XZOQ8sLO-vU[/YOUTUBE]

Say what you want about the game's ridicuslously low difficulty, but it was a fun little game with an underrated soundtrack. The battle theme ranks up there with some of the more catchy battle music over the years. It was one of those battle themes that you never got sick of hearing. Some might argue that it was a theme you won't get tired of due to the fact that you could avoid many battles therefore not hearing it too often, there weren't any random encounters and monsters always stayed on the same tile the entire game so you could simply walk past several monsters. I disagree. Even if they had random encounters this would have never become a track I got sick of. It's catchy and fits the somewhat comical style of battle in the game well.

When I listen to it I'm reminded of all sorts of crazy things you could do in battle that were unique. The Exit spell which was meant to be for warping out of a location could be used on monsters for instant death if they were vulnerable, which ended up working on one of the bosses in the final tower oddly enough. Or the Life spell which when used on someone who was still alive healed them to maximum and removed any negative status, more or less making Heal completely useless and Cure mostly useless as well unless you used it against a certain enemy who was weak against it. The same Life spell could be used on monsters to take their health if they were vulnerable. Then there's all those funny looking graphic changes the monsters would go through as they got weaker. A fitting theme for a fun underrated game that received far too much hate for its low difficulty.

Haven't updated this thread in forever....

[YOUTUBE]-UV6fDwysOk[/YOUTUBE]

This is the Giant Bowser battle theme from Bowser's Inside Story. It plays when you are fighting huge bosses as Bowser in a giant form. These fights are probably my favorite part of the game and each time I defeat one I've looked forward to the next. The song fits the fights rather well, especially the part between 0:58 and 1:15. That part shows Bowser's struggles in facing something his own size, even when in a huge form.

Dagger, I do not know what I would do with out you bumping this thread and reminding me to post here more. Today's selection comes from Dissidia 012, and it is one of its original creations.
[YOUTUBE]zmo584truz8[/YOUTUBE]

This is a two part piece played as you fight the Superboss, Feral Chaos. The First Part is titled "Cantata Mortis" roughly translated to Chant or Song of Death in Latin. The Opening 3 to 4 min of the song is Latin Chanting, sung by the followers of the God of Discord. Their words are those of worship as the wish for Chaos to bring forth his power and destroy the world. This is cool, while the song in and of its self is menacing and eerie, it does not make good, "pump you up" music for a final boss. What it does do is cause amazing contrast the second and much more exhilarating second part of the piece, "God in Fire".

The chanting suddenly jumps to a much more intense rock song performed by the alternative/industrial rock band Kidneythieves. This song also draws off some very macabre lyrics. Though unlike the worship of "Cantata Mortis," "God in Fire" relates Chaos's tragic life and rise to the God of Discord. All the meanwhile reminding you of his supreme power and your eventual destruction at his hands. Free Dominguez's vocals are amazing and her voice really pulls the song together. "God in Fire" is just one of those songs that pump me up. And after the contrast of "Cantata Mortis" it just pops out at you and gives you the strength to defeat the Superboss and finally beat the game.

Time for a track from a somewhat strange but enjoyable game most of you may be unfamiliar with....

[YOUTUBE]OERVAnY0MUo[/YOUTUBE]

This is the music from the Hackers' volcano base in Robotrek. You played as an inventor who had up to 3 robots that he sent out to battle the monsters with and the main villains throughout the game were a group known as the Hackers. You ran into them in more or less every location that had enemy encounters. Each of their bases had a high-tech sounding theme, like this one. I like this one for how it captures the confusion of having no idea where you are or what exactly any of your surroundings are. The feelings most people would have in a high-tech facility while avoiding their enemies or searching for the way outside.

[youtube]2w85y-N8lKw[/youtube]

It's been a long time since I've played Killer Instinct, but I came upon this theme on Youtube a few days ago and, god, does it bring back some memories for me. It's the title theme, it really captures the mood of the game and pumps you up as you get ready to play with the fighters, it sounds like something out of a Van Damme movie actually. Also, I came upon this video of themes that TNA have covered into entrance songs, one of the songs on the video was the Killer Instinct theme and apparently it was covered for the Main Event Mafia's entrance song. I've listened to the Killer Instinct theme and the Main Event Mafia's theme dozens of times and I do think they sound a bit alike, but you can judge for yourself.

[youtube]Y3VCREjlm8A[/youtube]

(4.12 - 5.29)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back