Video Game Music

[youtube]Ca7ewkwSYb8[/youtube]

Just a fun and rather upbeat song that I got stuck in my head within the first few hours of playing this game when I first got it on Christmas many years ago. One of the most familiar songs from Super Mario Sunshine, a friend of mine actually went out of her way to download the game's entire soundtrack on her computer a few months ago. It inspired me to get back into this game after a few years of Gamecube inactivity on my part. When I heard this song for the first time in years after popping my game in, I was hit with a rush of nostalgia. Damn good times, man.

I'm actually surprised I had not posted this one yet.

[YOUTUBE]Bgl6KbtCv7E[/YOUTUBE]

Stab the Sword of Justice is the oddly named battle theme from the second Star Ocean game and an old favorite of mine when it comes to battle themes. This was one of the first RPG's I played with voice-overs during battles. I played through it multiple times to use each playable character, and ended up memorizing a few of their lines from battles. A few of them came back to me a moment ago as I was listening to the song after looking it up, just by hearing the song I started hearing the voice-overs in my mind too because I was so used to hearing them together on the actual game. Lines like Claude's "Here's the enemy!", Ashton's "Ready, you two!?", and my personal two favorites were Dias when he said "Ten Seconds...." or "YOU'RE in the way....!". These would get repetitive sometimes but were usually entertaining.

Here's some trivia. My screenname is the name of the hero from my RPG, Division Blade. His name is Jack "Dagger" Dias. His last name of Dias was a tribute to Dias Flac from Star Ocean 2. So you could say that Dias Flac was my forum screenname's namesake's namesake. :p

A certain song randomly got stuck on repeat in my head earlier at work today, so I figured it's time to bump this thread again.

[YOUTUBE]q3WbAKliOK4[/YOUTUBE]

The lovely music that plays in the foyer of Booster's Tower in Super Mario RPG. It also plays in another room towards the top. Both rooms contain pictures of Booster's ancestors, and a faster paced song plays everywhere else in the tower. I like this song more than that one. I used to walk slowly in the rooms with this song back when I was little because I liked looking at the pictures of his weird looking ancestors and it was also to match the pace of the music, then back to running in the other rooms.

Then there was that one room with the hilarious easter egg:

If you walked behind a curtain you got turned into the 8 bit Mario from Super Mario Bros 1 on the NES until you tried to leave the room.

Nostalgia for the win.

[YOUTUBE]yMiornsdjC8[/YOUTUBE]

Let's just call this the final hint to round 1. ;)

However you still have to guess WHICH warcraft game, and campaign.

In any case, I love this song, pretty much my favorite song from Blizzard... with one or two exceptions. :p

Time to bump this thread again. I'll do some Kirby songs.

[YOUTUBE]qS-k_5bbBvk[/YOUTUBE]

Here we have the theme from world 3 in Dynablade, one of the games found in Kirby Superstar. It's one of the top tracks from that game and one of the better Kirby tracks as well. Yet another one of those game tracks that you don't mind having stuck in your head because it's rather catchy. Every time I hear it I see Kirby stealing the abilities of a Knuckle Joe then entering a cave, there was one level in the game that had a Knuckle Joe in front of a cave entrance and the song reminds me of that each time for some reason.

[YOUTUBE]GhAwDBfhF8I&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This is my favorite Kirby theme. It's perfect theme for the first level of a game and that is where it is used, as the first level theme for pretty much every game found in Kirby Superstar. One of the catchiest and most upbeat themes I have ever heard.

Going oldschool with an NES track this time.

[YOUTUBE]CO6MwfIW3fE[/YOUTUBE]

This is one of the three battle themes from Earthbound Zero, the most common one but also the one used for enemies considered more "dangerous". The other two are one used for the generally weak enemies and then a really weird one that's only used for hippies, trucks, or snails. This one sticks out for me though. Earthbound Zero was an insanely difficult game. Random encounter rates were through the roof and countless times I found myself lost in a maze with almost no health or items left, and this track would be the absolute last thing I'd want to hear because I knew I was screwed. It's a good theme for "dangerous" enemies and bosses though due to the creepy feel it is meant to have, and it adds to the tension of hard fights when you just want to survive no matter what.

Dagger, I call your Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star and raise you Halo 2

[YOUTUBE]pwAuKNAzibU[/YOUTUBE]
Booster's theme was awesome. As a comic relief villain. The theme was so fitting. He rode in on a train, which is reflected by his theme and it is all around catchy.

[YOUTUBE]gwv_Bz_DDxI[/YOUTUBE]
Kirby Arrives on the Scene, played when you get on the Halberd. This theme is up beat like most Kirby themes, but also hold a sense of urgency almost. The music is designed for a level that is action from the start and is very fitting for the revenge of Meta Knight.

[YOUTUBE]2ccviYnxOGs[/YOUTUBE]
In Halo 2, You enter a large room at the top of a large stair case facing you on the top of another large stair case is an onslaught of Brutes, and other enemies. It is you vs the world. And then this song comes on. Breaking Benjamin did a fantastic job with Blow Me Away. The song is designed to get your adrenaline pumping, and give you the psychotic courage to march in out numbered and believe you are coming out alive. Well done Bungee.

This music got me so pumped up to whip Kefka's ass!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KYLvj5WrKAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All of the music from FF3 (SNES) was awesome. Another honorable mention would be King Edgar's theme music.

Crap. How do I embed a YouTube video in my post?

Using the youtube brackets "[]" with "youtube" in the middle. If you insert some bold on a post or something you'll see how it can be applied to YouTube vids. Then in between the brackets you place the code from the end of the address, in this case it was KYLvj5WrKAQ In the address, this comes after a "watch?v=" or something similar. But the bit you need starts after the =.

On some places you can just do it with a "yt" but I'm not sure if that works here.

[youtube]KYLvj5WrKAQ[/youtube]

Yeah, FFVI is awesome. The whole franchise generally has great music. I think Dancing Mad is my favourite piece in the whole franchise but I also like Clash on the Big Bridge and the songs that play during the Kuja and Seymour fights. FFXII and XIII also have excellent music - proof that you can have a good soundtrack without Mr. Uematsu.

Check out this version, it's amaaazing. By a guy called SSH. He pumps up the music so much. Genre-wise it doesn't fit the game per se, but it's still extremely awesome!

And of course, Clash on the Big Bridge is awesome even if it's just on a piano. The fast and kind of irregular rhythm reflects Gilgamesh's outlandish and crazy nature. He's one of the more bizarre characters in the series. After the intro is done it changes from 3/4 to 4/4 and it's random as hell.

EDIT: Yeah, you can just use "yt".

Okay, I'll try this again. Apologies if I mess this up again.

[youtube]R8JmGmyWWWM[/youtube]

Wow. That Battle of the Bridge music is great. I had forgotten about it. I believe this is a remix from the PSP version. Yeah. FF music is fantastic.

There we go. Thanks Ollie! Yeah, Gilgamesh is one of my favorite bosses from the entire series too. He's usually one of the most difficult bosses in all of the games.

I can't believe no one has posted the Final Fantasy 7 battle theme yet. Time to change that.

[YOUTUBE]QY1Vetd7OCs[/YOUTUBE]

We can't have a video game music thread topic without the battle theme of the most popular RPG. Simply cannot. Granted I am a little biased, but this is one of the better battle theme tracks out there. Oldschool RPG's get a lot of criticism for the annoyance of random encounters. FF7 was one of the few where I looked forward to each battle no matter what because if anything, I'd get to hear this epic track one more time. Back in those days you pretty much had to have a good battle theme or else the people playing the game would get even more upset every time a fight started.

Ah yes, that is a very good one Dagger. Feast your ears on the Crisis Core version.

This version is so pumped up. It takes everything Mr. Nobuo was trying to do with MIDIs and runs with it. It has so much energy, I love it. In terms of gameplay it may be very different but the tune still fits the world.

We can't have a video game music thread topic without the battle theme of the most popular RPG. Simply cannot.

You know? You're RIGHT! So here is an epic battle theme from the most popular RPG of all time, the MMORPG to end them all: World of Warcraft.

Anyone that's ever raided Icecrown Citadel knows there's not much more of an epic battle than those take took place in that frozen hell.

[YOUTUBE]hqqXzzVIYs0[/YOUTUBE]

While we're at it, here's another... man I used to farm in this zone only to listen to the music... I think I can thank my success and the fortune I made as a skinner & herbalist to this song.

[YOUTUBE]ZNfH8OT7xW4[/YOUTUBE]

Here's another classic track from Star Ocean 2.

[YOUTUBE]aHEMyH9XbhM[/YOUTUBE]

The track is called Heraldic Emblem and it plays in two different places during the game with the first being the more memorable of the two for me. The first is in a dark forest and the second in an ancient ruins within a cavern. I always think of the forest where this theme plays when I hear it. That is the first time in the game where you are faced with challenging monsters and a tough boss. The eerie enigmatic feel of the track fits well with how difficult it is to clear the mission because it keeps you asking yourself questions like "What's waiting to kill me out here? Will I make it out alive?".

I've seen some incredible choices in this thread, and I just had to add my own favorites to it. Major props to the OP for making this, brings a true smile to my face. I'll try to go through them from early to recent, but there may be some mixes in between.

Anyways here goes:

The first game I ever played, so it deserves to be number 1 on my list. Super Mario.
http://youtu.be/MiAxiGZKpGQ

Sonic was my main man. The first console I owned was a Sega Genesis. He made my gaming passion what it is today.
http://youtu.be/Gm04bXd84Mg

Golden Sun. One of the greatest GBA games of all time. I still need to play the third one sometime.
http://youtu.be/O3vrzgj4McU

Red Alert 2. My favorite RTS of all time.
http://youtu.be/9WqwFhX6Cqg

Starcraft. Honestly, how can somebody who has played the game NOT love this?:shrug:
http://youtu.be/4xjbTVQL0g8

And of course Starcraft 2.
http://youtu.be/g_1U7L_uDA4

Y'all know shit gets real when Morrowind music starts playing :p
http://youtu.be/nJD-Ufi1jGk

Oblivion, the next generation of epic tales, hahaha
http://youtu.be/0J5gN1DwNDE

I'll put this as the last one. Skyrim's Theme. And only because this is my most anticipated game of all time so far. I'll try to add more songs later on, but for now this will do. Hope you guys enjoy listening to them!
http://youtu.be/xBSiIeu1Yg8

[YOUTUBE]Dh31W4HnRGg[/YOUTUBE]

I'm a fan of the Dynasty Warriors series but Dynasty Warriors 5 is the one I play the most, especially since I only own a PS2. This song is called Fate Corrodes Me and is played during the Battle of Yi Ling which sees Liu Bei lead the forces of Shu against Sun Quan's forces from Wu after Wu kills Liu Bei's sworn brother Guan Yu. Easily one of the most emotional musical pieces in the game as I feel it reflects Liu Bei's anger towards Sun Quan who he blames for the death of his sworn brother. It's also just all around badass and gets me really pumped up when I hit the battlefield. I go crazy killing any a every soldier that I come across whether it's an officer or a lowly footsoldier.

This track is from Legend of Dragoon.

[YOUTUBE]bXJ_EuwO4sQ[/YOUTUBE]

It's one of the three boss themes from the game and one of my favorite boss themes. If only more battle themes from newer games could be this good. I always looked forward to this theme each time it played. What kind of got annoying was not knowing which boss theme would play and the other two were not as good as this one. This one was the more common one, while another one that sucked was the second most common, and then a third one that was alright played in more important battles. I remember always getting happy if this one played and disappointed when the one that sucked played. I generally knew when the third was coming. I think the game would have been better if this had been the theme for every boss fight (except for a few of the ones that used the third one, important fights need their own theme) because it's far superior to not only the other boss theme from the game but many other games' boss themes as well.

Oooh Starcraft reminds me of this:

This is by far my favorite starcraft based remix I've ever found. Best song from SC1 too. Fun all the way around.

Going oldschool this time with a track from one of the first SNES games, Lagoon.

[YOUTUBE]OZTnEG1gCdY[/YOUTUBE]

This is probably my favorite track from the game. It's quite catchy and captures the feeling of exploration found in the game. The game, for the few of us who remember it, was incredibly difficult and catchy happier songs like this one were often a source of relief in between all of the difficult bosses and castles/caves because this game could be quite frustrating at times. Pretty much all of the music in the game sounded similar to this, most of it was catchy and fit in well with the places the respective tracks played.

[YOUTUBE]Pu4af2EDUr0[/YOUTUBE]

Majora's Mask was the first Legend of Zelda game I ever really got into and if there is any song that stuck out to me the most (besides the Song of Time since I ended up resetting time in the game more times than I can remember) was the Song of Healing. It was a pivotal part of acquiring the most important masks in the game (namely, the transformation masks that change you to Deku, Goron, and Zora) but besides that, it's just soothing to listen to (which is funny because the purpose of the song in the game was to literally "sooth" broken souls). I don't know why, especially considering I haven't played this game in years, but recently I've become in love with this song. It reminds me of my childhood. I've spent the last few weeks actually looking for covers of this song and have found good ones on piano, guitar, and even wine glasses!

heres a few more on my end:

[YOUTUBE]ot7AW_z5Tes[/YOUTUBE]

Since Street fighter 2 is up there on my favorite games list I had to go with a song that I thought captured the game itself and the character who has the theme with this case being Guile. For whatever reason whenever I think of Street Fighter 2 this is the 1st song comes to mind. It's a great song to have a battle as well fits Guile and the Air base stage that its played on perfectly.

[YOUTUBE]yDojBz8EjuY[/YOUTUBE]

This song is the best possible way to kick off the game Star Fox on the NES and introduce it to the gamer playing it. Much like Guile's theme it completely encapsulates the atmosphere and gameplay of the game itself and just fits the level and game like a custom made glove. It helps drag the gamer into the experience of Star Fox and combine that with the level its on and the fast paced game play that Star Fox offers I can't think of a better way to start the gamer off.

<snipperoonie>
It reminds me of my childhood. I've spent the last few weeks actually looking for covers of this song and have found good ones on piano, guitar, and even wine glasses!

That version one the glasses with the 9 panel split-screen is a bloody masterpiece. The guy that did it also did an excellent stop-motion style cover of the Zelda 2 Palace Theme, a piece of music very dear to my heart, since Zelda 2 was one of the few actually good games I ever owned for the NES and I spent an awful lot of time dying in those dungeons.

Anywhere, here's my entry for the day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back