Video Game Music

Sorry about the double post, I know some people are really into anal about that kind of thing, but I would have edited my original post had I the ability, but the button wasn't there to click.

[YOUTUBE]VSESbvAros8[/YOUTUBE]
Kirby's Dreamland theme... seriously, performed this well even this kiddie song can be enjoyed thoroughly by anyone.

Super Smash Bros. Melee, Smashing Live! is an amazing album, so many great Nintendo themes performed by a full symphony orchestra. Love it!

[YOUTUBE]ivxV6WcsSP8[/YOUTUBE]
Isle Delfino theme - By Koji Kondo (one of my 3 favorite Japanese VG composers) from Super Mario Sunshine, performed by Yoshihiro Arita with his big band

[YOUTUBE]Q7-1pJ-DJrk[/YOUTUBE]
Lower Norfair theme - Remix by Grant Henry (Stemage) From Super Metroid

This s**t rocks!

[YOUTUBE]ddNPREozKF8[/YOUTUBE]
Birth of the People / Kassandora - By Yuzo Koshiro from Actraiser

Loved the game when I was a teen, love this reorchestration even more.

[YOUTUBE]CotqYivpqmw[/YOUTUBE]
Superbuckjazz - remix by Estradasphere from Super Mario Brothers 2 Main Theme by Koji Kondo.

This song is swingin'.

*Snippy...*

[YOUTUBE]B_MW65XxS7s[/YOUTUBE]
One Winged Angel (Advent Children), by Nobuo Uematsu from Final Fantasy 7 - Final Boss Battle Theme

Same vein as Dancing Mad, it's really just a matter of preference which you might find more enjoyable. They're both truly epic. Dancing Mad is more of a symphony with some metal thrown in, but One Winged Angel is much more symphonic metal.

One Winged Angel is fucking epic, especially with the full Demangelarmonic™ Choir and phat orchestral sound. Uematsu's pretty hard to beat when it comes to fantastic battle tunes.

I'm actually shocked that one wasn't mentioned earlier, in fact are you sure it wasn't? I just find it really hard to believe!

I'm currently replaying Super Mario Galaxy 2, so here's a track from it!

[YOUTUBE]q3kb1062IJo[/YOUTUBE]

Recognize it from a certain SNES game from the same series? This was a remix and it fits in perfectly as part of the musical lineup in Galaxy 2. The song is used similarly in both games, as background for obstacle course type levels. It also saw an appearance in Smash Bros Melee for one of the Mario levels there. I like that it was used again in remixed form in Galaxy 2 because of the nostalgia that I have with the track in its original form, which I will post as well below.

[YOUTUBE]Uqz0OkQ7eXU[/YOUTUBE]

I actually liked the other overworld theme from Super Mario World a lot better. Since I've brought it up, let's do that one too!

[YOUTUBE]mBp-hKT3l6w[/YOUTUBE]

That's more like it. Best Mario overworld theme in my opinion. I would rather they have used this track instead, but I never turn down a nostalgic tribute when it comes to remixing classic tracks. That's it for this week's update to this thread, see you next time.

Time to meet Tom Brier.

[YOUTUBE]yYzq0am3B4I[/YOUTUBE]
Spinach Rag as sight read for the first (and second) time ever by Tom Brier on a ragtime piano. This is just so much fun to watch simply because it IS this guy's first (and second) time playing the song. The second time through he really goes nuts. Incredible player, incredible song, great music!

This is what I call an example of the evolution of a video game song.

Here's the original sound version of Yoshi's Island Athletic Theme.

[YOUTUBE]1QmaujKyQjo[/YOUTUBE]

Here is the next phase. Someone (in this case the youtube user Keeper1st) recieves a request to video Tom Brier playing the Athletic Theme. So he transcribes the music to paper and then brings it to Tom to play for the first time.
[YOUTUBE]ffwVKDP8nzQ[/YOUTUBE]

Then finally. The entire Raspberry Jam Band playing the Athletic Theme at a local concert.

[YOUTUBE]sKZq11GnofA[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a track from Dragon Age!

[YOUTUBE]Ocm-5rkpDeY[/YOUTUBE]

The Camp is my favorite place in the game due to the massive character development that goes on there. I immediately go back to the camp after each event to see if anyone has anything new to say. This theme plays each time you are there, and with its enigmatic feel it fits the mood perfectly for all of the conversations that take place there because the other characters have all sorts of deep discussions to share with you if you take the time to speak with them enough for them to open up.

It's hard to explain the Moon Theme from Duck Tales it almost seems like it dosen't belong it's that good. Theres something strangely but simply beautiful about the Moon theme from Duck Tale. It's revolutionary in a time where video game music was just background noise where in Duck Tales in sounds exactly like 8-Bit orchestra like many different sounds are working together to create a a gorgeous music you simply don't get better than the Moon Theme from Duck Tales, it's awe inspiring, nostalgic and givs me goosebumps everytime I listen to it.

It simply is the sound of adventure, a perilous quest to fight back the forces of evil who must grasp the ultimate treasure of power within their clutches and alone a boy must travel through hell and back to fight the creatures of darkness to protect the said treasure. You TOTALLY get that vibe from the LOZ theme

and from Super Mario 64 the Dire Dire Dock. Just... just listen

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1B52TSCl_A&feature=related[/youtube]

Here's some OST's songs for you. One is amazing as is, the rest, god I'd kill for some remakes.

[YOUTUBE]l_c4H5lKzf0[/YOUTUBE]

Soviet march theme from Red Alert 3. Sorry, but this game had the hottest chicks ever to appear in a video game. :p

[YOUTUBE]vS4DVy5TCBY[/YOUTUBE]
Wolf3d.exe :p Back in the day I'd get on my old windows 3.1 machine and type that just to hear this song blast over my soundblaster16. lol

[YOUTUBE]ppHyaOd0Vxo[/YOUTUBE]
This song -the sad town theme- has lasted far longer than Soulblazer itself did. I love this song, and I'd love to hear this song performed live with real instruments, instead of some ancient synthesizer.

[YOUTUBE]LAUMbJEByxY[/YOUTUBE]
This video really brings back memories. It's the Leisure Suit Larry theme song written by Al Lowe. I really miss the old Sierra Adventure games.

[YOUTUBE]fBU_0PDBuoE[/YOUTUBE]
The Opening Theme to Quest for Glory 4: Shadows of Darkness. This song would be epic if it were remade. This was, for me, the best adventure game ever made. The soundtrack was very good and had several songs that were spectacular. Really loved the Autumn/Transylvania/Vampire theme for this game too.

OK Thanks to QFG4 I now need to add two Castlevania songs. heheh

[YOUTUBE]phlrgUGpt38[/YOUTUBE]
One of two quintessential themes from Castlevania, The Vampire Killer... performed by the villain from Scream. :p

[YOUTUBE]p56GDEpJCPE[/YOUTUBE]
The other of the two quintessential themes from Castlevania, The Beginning, remixed by GOAT. Stained Glass Filth rules.

OK... there's still so much to listen to and share. :p

[YOUTUBE]nogIuLAlC4s[/YOUTUBE]

BTW Has anyone heard the Attitude Era shoutouts Duke gave in this game?
"Duke 3:16 says I just whipped your ass."
"I can smell what the Dukeburger's cookin."

[YOUTUBE]uNQHjyLcTfU[/YOUTUBE]

Someone else posted this song... but the black mages ain't got nothing on this guy... just watch him play. The guy is f**king amazing! Best amateur rock remix I've ever heard, not just for this song, but of all rock remixes.

[YOUTUBE]ZMt1h1Ysz48[/YOUTUBE]
The Jungle Theme from Contra, one of the most iconic NES era video games songs there is. Remixed by GOAT.

Hmmmm, it's been a wile since I contributed here, now raise yer Grog mugs to some mightily piratey madness now matey...

SCUMM BAR - From The Secret of Monkey Island.​

Thought I'd go with Mario Galaxy 2 again this time.

[YOUTUBE]ZWKLF50_rcc[/YOUTUBE]

I always enjoy classic tracks being given new life in the form of remixes on new games in the series. The Haunty Halls level is fun enough as it is but adding this track to it made it even better because oldschool fans are already familiar with it. An upgrade to the first ghost house theme back in Super Mario World used as the theme in the latest Mario game's ghost house level, it's a perfect fit. It is one of my favorite levels in Super Mario Galaxy 2 and one of the many reasons I'm currently replaying the game.

I find that Marvel vs Capcom 3 has one of the best musical scores of fighting games, everyone theme is great. Here are a few of my favorites:

[YOUTUBE]A7GmpJ-SxAk[/YOUTUBE]
Its nonsensical lyrics, and guitar define Deadpool's complete insanity.

[YOUTUBE]JMc13A8LqaA[/YOUTUBE]
The Ultimate theme of trolling to the ultimate comic book troll. The crazy techno is all over the place and makes fighting M.O.D.O.K enjoyable

[YOUTUBE]CoaTNWnqiok[/YOUTUBE]
Possible my favorite theme in the game. It is a techno, classical Japanese mixture that screams godlike, just like what it represents.

If there was anyone that could rival Nobuo Uematsu, it's Koichi Sugiyama. The man is practically Mozart.

[YOUTUBE]am1nHQif7Qw[/YOUTUBE]
This is one of the very first video game songs I learned. This song just blows me away.

[YOUTUBE]oA3ECQsUfNE[/YOUTUBE]
Seriously, why does every castle theme Sugiyama have to be THIS good? This music is so authentically baroque it's just astounding.

[YOUTUBE]PikHTdthfx0[/YOUTUBE]
The Dragon Quest 4 Symphony always gives me a kick, such a funny way to perform this. The Menuet is beautiful though.

Red Dead Redemption is an amazing game in general, and one of it's greatest assets is the exellent soundtrack. This one is a personal favorite of mine, I like it because it fits the game perfectly and it's something that I would listen to outside the game :)

[YOUTUBE]7IkvAb6THQY[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone else remember Home Alone on the SNES? For several days now a medley of tracks from it has been stuck in my head, so I'm going to share them with you all. I've more or less had the entire soundtrack stuck in my head, but mainly these three tracks:

[YOUTUBE]xbLl3o67evU[/YOUTUBE]

This plays in some of rooms in the houses, usually in bedrooms or sitting areas. It is one of the catchier tunes in the game and I often went into the rooms where it plays to listen to it a bit before moving on.

[YOUTUBE]TUsPQgaLLdE[/YOUTUBE]

A remix of a classical tune. It plays in some of the rooms of the houses such as bathrooms and kitchens, as well as in the opening cut-scene.

[YOUTUBE]GzqxCaCCIwI[/YOUTUBE]

Of course I had to include this one. This is one of the larger reasons why Home Alone for the SNES was such a strange game. It wasn't about escaping from Harry & Marv. It was about sneaking things down into the basement vault where boss fights would take place, check the spoiler tag for more details:

The bosses included bats, spiders, ghosts, and rats. You'd think the final battle would be against Harry or Marv, but it was a gigantic rat that jumped unpredictably.

[YOUTUBE]DIkZXyKT2KA[/YOUTUBE]

The theme of world 3, the electronics wing. Probably my favorite track in the game. It's one of those tracks that gets stuck in your head for long periods of time afterwards but you don't mind because it's that good. Or at least back in 1991-1992 it was. I still like it out of nostalgia.

[YOUTUBE]WLwAt9DDax0[/YOUTUBE]

This is THE BIG ONE. This is the entire Dream Oath Opera as performed by the Tokyo Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Koichi Sugiyama, and written by Nobuo Uematsu for the Fourth Annual Orchestral Game Concert. This is how it would sound in a FF6 remake ;) As it is complete with the Ultros Battle, which is removed from pretty much every other performance floating around the internet.

Between this and Dancing Mad you have 2 of the very best songs ever written for any video game spanning over a half a hour.

Now the next big project is for Final Fantasy 6's Epilogue to get re-orchestrated. Then we'll have 3 songs spanning nearly an hour.

Here are some of my favorites:

http://youtu.be/bJL1uYAI6-w

This one is from Mike Tysons Punchout one of my all time favorite games. Just the sound of it gives you an intense, underdog feeling that pulls u into the action.

http://youtu.be/G_80PQ543rM

This one is the famous Ducktales moon theme from one of the best games on the best system ever made. I absolutely love this song and everytime I hear it gets me pumped for some Ducktales.

http://youtu.be/G_80PQ543rM

The flash man theme from megaman 2 was my all time favorite Megaman theme. Just everything about this song screams megaman in my opinion.

http://youtu.be/JGZY4dhuyXs

everytime I hear this gem from the original MK it just gets me in the mood to rip out someones spine. I don't think a song ever got me more ready right off the bat for a game than this. Sadly though after playing it on the SNES you just wish u had it for Genesis or an Arcade machine.

This time I'll share a track from Secret of Mana, I posted a thread about that game earlier today, you should check that one out too.

[YOUTUBE]0YD5D0fRy0A[/YOUTUBE]

This is the music that plays when you are in the Witch's Castle as well as an underground labyrinth on the way to the Great Palace. It's a good track that always reminds me of all the action found in the game, battling monster after monster in each of the various locations in the game primarily due to the fact that the two places where this track plays see some intense battle action. Anyways, give it a listen and either relive some nostalgic gaming moments if you've heard this track before or be introduced to a great track from a great game if you have not heard it before.

Fire Emblem
[YOUTUBE]j1dJU1ljCY0[/YOUTUBE]
This particular track is from "Super Smash Bros. Melee, Smashing Live!"

This is, IMO, the most underrated game franchise Nintendo has. The RPS field is small enough as it is, but then you add in ridiculous tactics games like Final Fantasy Tactics ADVANCE, and it just dumbs it down even more. All the more dissapointing because the original Tactics is probably the best tactics game there is.

Fire Emblem is, IMO better today than Final Fantasy. Everything that brought me to Final Fantasy 20+ years ago is now embodied in Fire Emblem. And this song is the most iconic theme in Fire Emblem. When I think Fire Emblem, this is the song that comes to mind.

The ongoing battle zone tournament (do be sure to check that out, Doc and JGlass worked hard on it) reminds me of Smash Bros Brawl, only with all sorts of various heroic figures instead of just Nintengo guys like Smash Bros has....and thus I'm doing a Smash Bros track this time around, here we go.

[YOUTUBE]pTOj9VidV5U&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This was originally used as the theme for when you face King K Rool in the first Donkey Kong Country game back on the SNES. It saw a remix in Smash Bros Brawl, which is the version I included in this post. I honestly prefer the remake because it fits in so well with the insanity that comes with Brawl's fights. You don't even need Donkey or Diddy in the battle for it to fit great as the background theme. I used it in several of my custom created stages.

Due to my ever loving worship of Final fantasy V here is Mambo De Chocobo.

[YOUTUBE]WJk1VNaLc9U[/YOUTUBE]

And now for something truly amazing the Final fantasy prelude:

[YOUTUBE]FI3r8-HA0kA[/YOUTUBE]
The fact he can play this on the piano blows me away. This song is so soothing, it speaks of peace and departing on an adventure. I could go to sleep to it.

Speaking of good things to listen to while sleeping. You know how experts say that listening to classical music helps the mind, now you can listen to orchestral pieces and video game music at the same time. This is from the Tour de Japon featuring some of my favs, main theme of FFV and to Zanarkand. Enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]WGlv2qGVmUI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]H1JgIg38QBU[/YOUTUBE]

basically my favorite video game soundtracks are the following;

[YOUTUBE]uEzXFuYN89k[/YOUTUBE]
freaking awesome. when you are fighting chaos this ong make the final boss seema all the more epic. plus its a good song all around but i think it fails in camparrison to ist's successsor.
[YOUTUBE]u9zZus_1_ag[/YOUTUBE]

Now this is incredible! it fits the theme of the game perfectley. I never thought i would say that for a sonic game. both o these games are ones that i memember playing when i was a toddler so they mean a lot to me. I beat sonic adventure when I was 5 years old and beat sonic adventure 2 wheni was 7 years old!

I've been spending a lot of time at home with the pups while searching for another job. They misbehave a lot, but really like music. The FF9 soundtrack in particular. They sleep so peacefully when I play it for them. Here are a couple of favorites, that I'm listening to as I type this. The dogs are asleep in their area.

[YOUTUBE]8i6_i6vqYao[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Ai4mbIP4vbM[/YOUTUBE]

Final Fantasy 9 was full of tributes to the rest of the series and saw a return to the medieval fantasy adventure style, but not the entire game was like that. The futuristic world type of setting also was to be found, when you travel to Terra. The music played both there and the town of Bran Bal are very beautiful tracks. I like how they capture the feeling of being in another world, not knowing what you will encounter, or what to expect around the next corner, all while being catchy enough to hum along to each time. Bran Bal's theme in particular captures the mysteries behind what happens because many things are revealed and the song fits the enigmatic mood there.

In a Final Fantasy game I can pretty easily and quickly pick out that ONE song that really defines the game. The song that is the Theme. In FF1 it was the prologue "bridge" theme, AKA THE THEME of Final Fantasy. In 2 it was the Rebel Army theme, in 4 it was the Theme of Love, in 5 it was the Overworld Theme, in 6 it was the Opening Theme, in 7 it was Aerith's Theme, in 9 it was Melodies of Life, in 10 it was Suteki da Ne. FF8 was exceedingly tough for me. At first I thought for sure it was this song:
[YOUTUBE]AmhyDUEphqc[/YOUTUBE]
Yet, while incredibly beautiful, and very evocative of great and powerful nostalgia of the man sitting with his legs dangling over the edge of the platform and me playing cards with him, this wasn't really THE ONE for FF8.
[YOUTUBE]McytUryd2Dc[/YOUTUBE]
This song was close. It's Laguna's theme AKA The Man with the Machine Gun, AKA the battle theme while playing as Laguna. This song is awesome, but that's not quite right either. Laguna was not THE character, but this was close. This song was very central to the game and a theme used over and over again in other variations. But it's not THE THEME for FF8, again.
[YOUTUBE]nw051_TIux0[/YOUTUBE]
/swoon I loved Balamb Garden. I can almost picture Squall in his room laying on his back on his bed, feet crossed, resting the back of his head on one hand, sun pouring in through the window at the foot of his bed, and his Lionheart sword in it's glass case to one side, and in comes Quistis Trepe. This song means rest and relaxation to me, peaceful, and time spent with friends, which is a very core part of this game, but it is still not THE THEME of FF8.
[YOUTUBE]HuMHeQc-HS4[/YOUTUBE]
Maybe something more upbeat fits as THE THEME of FF8? Some of the fights in this game were awesome, first (literally) and foremost is the swordfight between Seifer & Squall, that opening sequence to FF8 is probably the coolest of all the Final Fantasy games. I knew I was going to love Squall from the moment I saw him bloodied and swinging that gunblade of his, dragging the tip on the ground, sparking as it went, upwards towards Seifer's face to give him a matching scar on his face. But ultimately this song wasn't right either, despite probably being the most awesome battle theme (I suppose technically it's NOT a battle theme, it's an opening theme, but I still consider it a battle theme) save for Dancing Mad & One Winged Angel.
[YOUTUBE]-5hV5p45ee4[/YOUTUBE]
THIS is it. This is the masterpiece. This is the fully orchestrated, instrumental only version of Eyes of Me, the song that Julia played for Laguna. This is the same song whose theme is used for Rinoa's theme. This song's title is a good title for the theme of the game itself, which was all about these lifelong friends, growing to love each other as a family. It was also perfect for Squall & Rinoa theme together. Love Grows is THE THEME of Final Fantasy 8. No question about it. So many amazing songs, from this soundtrack, but none of them compare to THIS song, just like none from 7 compare to Aerith's them, just like none from 4 compares to Theme of Love, etc.

In the end, I have to say that Final Fantasy 8's orchestrated soundtrack, FITHOS LUSEC WECOS VINOSEC, is the best re-orchestrated soundtrack of all the soundtracks released for a Final Fantasy game. In all seriousness, I think it's the best neo-classical album I've ever heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back