• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Underage Dating

GI Cake

Thank God For Sodamy.
Hello everybody, I just want to start off the thread by saying I am happily back in a relationship. With that being said, let's get this underway.

Relationships at a young age are a very fickle thing. You meet someone in High school and you might find them attractive. You don't know if it is the hormones, or if it is an actual emotional link. But beside that, there is some sort of connection. After a while of getting to know one another, one of you (most likely the male) go about asking the other out. And after some time, and lying to your parents about being somewhere else, you head out and have a ball of a time.

When you are older, and once you can use your brain over your hormones. You can see how relationships can affect your social life, your personal time, and obviously how people see you as a person.

When you say a man who is dating a girl who is leagues over her age. You don't assume that they are in love but that the man is wealthy while the girl is simply using him. When you see a relationship with a man that is with an older girl, you assume she is simply with him because he still has the drive and the interest that someone her age have lost long ago.

Do you approve of underage dating as long as it in the realms of 17 and up?

How old was the person you ever dated? The youngest?

Would you approve of a family member dating someone that is older/younger than him/her?

What was the biggest age difference between you and your partner?

I don't really care either way to be honest as I don't have any family members who are in that position at the moment. I do think however that it's all part and partial with school life. I think your typical school-yard relationship doesn't harm anyone and it helps you gain basic skills in how to handle a relationship. At the end of the day I think we all strived to have one of those kind of relationships when we were at school.

The youngest person I've dated was actually not too long ago. I was 20 (and still am) and she was 17 when we dated. The oldest person I've dated was actually a few years ago, I was 16 and she was 19 at the time. Age is just a number (as long as things stay legal of course).

Would you approve of a family member dating someone that is older/younger than him/her?

As I've said, age is just a number but it all depends on the individual. If someone in my family was dating someone older than them but he/she was really nice with nothing but good intentions, I'd be more than happy to support it. I mean, my sister got married last year and her husband is 10 years her senior, but he's a very nice guy so I don't have a problem. If he was a complete douche-bag, we might have a problem.

Three years both my junior and senior is the biggest age gap between me and past partners. I look back on those as just some of lives experiences and nothing else.

My rule for a guy's age is that he should not date a girl that's half his age plus 7 (I'm 28, divide by 2 = 14, plus 7 = 21).

It really worked pretty well for me and my friends throughout high school and college.

Sure. I honestly believe that 16 years of age is fine.

How old was the oldest person you ever dated? The youngest?
Oldest was only 2 years older than me. Was one of my sisters friend and we had a great relationship. Only ended because I decided not to go to the same college that she had already been going to.

As for youngest well, when I was in middle school I dated someone 2 years younger than me, I think thats the farthest i've gone although recently I went on a date with an 18 year old, so thats 5 years, but nothing serious came of it so I don't really consider it worth noting(too late).

I don't see why not. I don't think you can really put so much stress on age when it comes to love. My sister once dates someone 6 years older than her and he was a really great guy. It all depends on the circumstances really and who that person is. I mean sure theres people out there who will use their experience to deceive and get in the pants of young girls but I think its unfair to judge everyone who dates younger girls the same.

To me there really is no set time or age when an individual should start dating. In fact as long as it's above 11 years old I say someone can date. Of course relationships prior to 15 or 16 years old are usually never serious and just play fun or a way to "be cool" for children. So yes, dating 17 and up is completely fine with me. At that age people usually are vulnerable to makes regretful choices but as long as as you monitor it you can trust 17 year olds to have a serious relationship.

N/A

Well a family member dating someone younger and a family member dating someone older are 2 things I would feel different about, considering all of my siblings and the majority of my family consists of males. As far as dating someone older goes as I mentioned all of my siblings are males so there isn't too much to worry about, their partners would as you said most likely have that drive to be with a younger man. That in itself I see no harm in as it seems to it would seem to be a close and intimate relationship. Dating someone younger on the other hand would slightly worry me. She could be using him, or just playing him into a trap of revenge or some sort of that. If there is anything I learned from my Uncle is that younger women can effortlessly seduce an older man to do what she wants. My Uncle helped this young adult (girl) off the road when her car broke down and he ended up buying her a pizza (afterwards he told us that he had plans to get involved with her). I never saw that lady again unsurprisingly and I get the feeling that she used him.

Basically if the partner was older I wouldn't worry too much, younger on the other hand to me poses more risks.

Non-Applicable:suspic:.

Interesting thread topic :)

Meh. I think if you are interested in the person wait till they are 18, it is not worth the legal headache. This sounds like a setup for the Maury show. LOL.

I have never dated anyone younger than me, probably because I am a woman. Seems taboo for some reason. Dunno. Usually the age difference is anywhere from a year to 15 :).

Yes. As long as they are both happy :)

My current partner and I have a big age difference, about 15 years. At first it confused me why I am attracted to someone so much older than me. Now, it seems like the norm, 5 years later. It is all about compatibility. It is very common in Europe for their to be age difference.

I took this question to really be asking if I approved of dating someone significantly younger, provided they were legal, "under" my "age", rather than "underage" dating, given the context, so I answered based on that...

It's going to depend a large part on how far the age gap is. Not because there is anything fundamentally wrong with it, but because the farther apart you are in age, the bigger the generational gap between you. You see the world in completely different ways because you grew up in completely different times, you probably have vastly different tastes in music, movies, etc, it can just be a huge problem in compatibility. How many 22 year old women are going to have the same life experiences as I do? I can bet it's a really short list. Generally, I give myself a 10 year span, with my age in the middle. I was born in 1975, so I am going to look for someone born between 1970 and 1980, giving myself 5 years in either direction. It's certainly not a hard, set in stone rule, just more of an general guideline.

Answering these two at the same time, because they are very similar. The oldest person I ever dated is 42 now, but I am 37, so not really that big of a gap, just 5 years. The youngest was 19...but then again, so was I at the time, she was my college sweetheart, so no meaningful age gap there either. The biggest gap between ages was my ex-wife, who is 6 years younger than I am. For the most part, I have stayed within my own generation.

Depends on how big the age gap is, and for the same reason I mentioned already. Compatibility.

Approving of something and participating in it yourself are two entirely different things. I am fine with others dating someone underage provided that they are of legal age. I would never do it myself though. Part of the reason is that I have always been more attracted to older women. The other part is that larger age gaps are a turn off. Most people may say age doesn't matter. Well, to some it does. I am more turned on by older women, yes, but the ladies who are older yet still close to me in age are the ones I was most interested in. If you are close to someone in age, it may be easier to relate to them. You grew up following similar fads and can discuss where you were when certain things happened. The final part is the maturity aspect. I wanted to marry a woman, therefore I could never date an annoying teenager.

The oldest person I ever dated was four years older. That wasn't a serious relationship, I was in college as a freshman and she was in gradschool. We went to dinner a couple of times and found out we didn't have much in common outside of us both being Christian. She was attractive and nice, but I was too immature at the time and she did not have much in common with me. We still stayed friends. As for more serious relationships, my wife is the oldest I have dated. She just turned 28 and I am 26, so two years apart. The youngest I have dated was four years younger. I was in my fifth year of college and she was a freshman. It didn't last much longer than the one who was four years older. We spoke on the phone a lot and went on a couple of dates, she was cute but too immature and we didn't have enough in common.

As for family members dating outside their age range.... My mother in law's current boyfriend is 27. She is almost 50. Her daughter is older than the guy she is dating. What's weirder is that he is the same age as my wife's brother and they have the same name. Creepy much? Anyways. What people choose to do is their own decision and it's not my place to approve of it or not if they are adults. I did prefer to date closer to my age back when I was single though and I am glad I stuck to that because I married someone who grew up around the same time as me, so we experienced things in our lives at similar times which makes for good conversation topics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back