Type A v. Type B Personality and it's Effect on Modern Pro-Wrestling

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
Quick learning lesson for those of you who don't know the difference: The Type A and Type B Personality Theory is a personality type theory that characterizes a pattern of behaviors, originally designed to calculate the risk factor for coronary heart disease, and widely disputed for it's scientific shortcomings, but nonetheless it remains a constant in the realm of psychology as a means of still characterizing the propensity of someone's behaviors into a categorical group.

Type A said:
Type A individuals can be described as impatient, time-conscious, controlling, concerned about their status, highly competitive, ambitious, business-like, aggressive, having difficulty relaxing; and are sometimes disliked by individuals with Type B personalities for the way that they're always rushing. They are often high-achieving workaholics who multi-task, drive themselves with deadlines, and are unhappy about delays. Because of these characteristics, Type A individuals are often described as "stress junkies."

Type B said:
Type B individuals, in contrast, are described as patient, relaxed, and easy-going, generally lacking an overriding sense of urgency. Because of these characteristics, Type B individuals are often described by Type As as apathetic and disengaged. There is also a Type AB mixed profile for people who cannot be clearly categorized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_A_and_Type_B_personality_theory

The reason this is relevant here is due to an issue that initially stemmed from a small argument in the SPAM-friendly wrestling section of the forum early this morning when I made note of the fact that of the three remaining "rookies" in the NXT pool last night—Mr. Mediocre (Michael McGuillicuddy), Kaval and Alex Riley—only Riley possessed the traditional Type A personality that history has proven precedes greatness more often than not, whereas Mr. Mediocre and to a lesser-extent Kaval seemed to possess more traits of a Type B or Type A/B personality which rarely sees the same light of stardom the Type A wrestlers do.

Hulk Hogan is the best possible example of this. Hogan is undoubtedly the single biggest name and the single largest grossing performer in the industry's history—without fail—and yet he lacked that in-ring technical prowess that is championed and praised (often to a fault) in modern wrestling today – why? Because he was a Type A personality. He had natural inherent charisma and a projectable persona capable of verbally carrying him to the peak of all that is pro-wrestling.

While ring-work is certainly an enjoyable aspect of this business, it is in no way a prerequisite for nor a prelude to stardom, as can be proven by pointing directly to historical "failures" (in this sense) who doubled as ring tacticians like Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko and others – none of whom ever tasted what true stardom was, at least not in the same way that their polar opposites (and superiors) in Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage among others did. Benoit and Malenko may have tasted their own versions of success, but by no means could any of them hold a candle to the historical Type A successors.

Y2Jake, as well as I'm sure a number of other users here, disagrees, and even went so far as to say that the modern era of wrestling has redefined this historical penchant by—and I'm diving into conjecture here—allowing for Type B and Type A/B personalities to reach the same platform of success (relatively speaking) as their Type A rivals (of their own accord?).

As I said then, and I'll say again, having a Type A personality is a prerequisite for (the heights of) stardom, and rarely does a Type A personality only enjoy the fruits of marginal success, rather more often than not, they dominate their respective eras as the "names" of said time.

That said, do you agree? Do you disagree? Do you think I'm an idiotic TNA mark who does nothing but bash the WWE and it's brainwashed fans and wish to take a pot shot at me disguised as an objective interest in this thread? Well, share your thoughts with us, then!

That line has been somewhat blurred over the years as fans demand changes. Its become more about the performance than the attitude these days. As a high example just look at the PWI 100. AJ Styles is number one. I'm pretty sure his "flamboyant" personality wasn't what got him there. Step back to '07. It was John Cena. Why? He had the run of a lifetime as WWE Champion. The most memorable feuds of the reign were with HBK and Randy Orton. The other 10 feuds were not significant. At all. Look back to say 1991 and your most probable name here would be Hulk Hogan. No technique required. Back then it was more about the look and presentation than the ability to wrestle and make 10 minute TV matches look like a Supercard main event.

People demand a better performance these days as opposed to character. Back in the '80's people couldn't care less about Hulk Hogan's inability to give an actual wrestling match to save his life. Then you skip to the 90's and you have Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin and The Undertaker. These guys had a good mix between character and ability. The AB personalities you referred to. They had a great balance that pretty much catered to just about anyone.

The new millennium is here and what changes? People have seen the absolute best in characters. They've had a taste of the ability. They want more of that. Why are the Motorcity Machineguns the hottest thing on TV? Why is Daniel Bryan so talked about? Why do people hate John Cena? Why do people love AJ Styles but hate his heel run? All signs point to personality Type B being the predominant work ethic of this generation.

Plus Alex Riley, as great and talented as he is, has a really stupid gimmick.

This thread never had a chance to be successful because a lot of your explanations for the personality types are wrong. Type A personalities are very competitive and strive for perfection. They are always concerned about their status. So that part of the definition you got right. However, things like charisma and entertainment fall under the type B personality.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/type-a-and-b-personality.html

Type B personalities are the laid back types who still get their work done but aren't anal about it. They are the more easy going and entertaining of the two personalities. For a quick football reference, a guy like Peyton Manning on the field is more of a type A personality, while Chad Ocho Cinco would be more of a type B.

Guys like Benoit, Malenko, and Kaval are more type A personalities then type B. They were all about competing, winning, and striving for perfection.

Guys like Hogan, Cena, the Rock, etc.. have some type A personality traits as they are all highly competitive and often want perfection, but they also have many type B characteristics in terms of their charisma and entertainment value. In fact I'd say the best professional wrestlers are most definitely the ones that have the mixed A/B personality.

It is certainly an interesting idea IDR. I am not 100% sure if you are talking about how they come off on camera in character or how they are in reality. Because the disconnect between the two in some examples might make an interesting case study. The idea seems obvious to me. In one group you have hyper-competitive aggressive people and in the other you have those with a more passive approach. Of course that first group is going to produce the big names because, especially in WWE, the politics play so large. Basically by definition type B's are happy with their spot while type A's are always wanting more.

On AJ, I do not claim to know his life story but I think he is more type A than some might think. I get the impression he is quite competitive. So if some are thinking type B means no personality but good wrestler that is not what this is about. I'd say RVD is the case study on type B's. If he was type A he probably would have been bigger, which is sort of ironic because his gimmick seems quite type A at times even if now more than ever his real life type B shows through anyway.

The only example that I can think of to refute this idea is Jeff Hardy's run at the top in WWE. He didn't really get their through competitive hard work and self-obsession with business etc.

It is also worth noting it does not work both ways. Being a type A does not guarantee you a shot at superstardom. Plenty of guys work quite hard and display all the traits but do not have the necessary skill sets.

Type A and Type B personality theory got abandonned in the 1970s because it has absolutely no scientific basis. You can't categorise people into A and B sufficiently, hence the existence of the ill-defined A/B category. However, it is obvious that wrestlers are more likely to be extroverted than introverted because they are entertainers. Wrestlers need to be the centre of attention, otherwise nobody cares about them, which is why shy retiring sorts like Dean Malenko and Chris Benoit don't really go anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back