Titles misaligned?

Vader

Pre-Show Stalwart
WWE has historically blurred the lines between their mid-card titles. When HHH and The Rock held the European and IC titles respectively, this was the case.

Things in WCW were a little more clear cut. The TV title was; for the most part, the second tier midcard title behind the US championship and many of the wrestlers rotated through the Cruiserweight and TV titles.

I'm not a fan of Daniel Bryan and largely agree with his current status out of the main event scene. However, this clearly isn't the case for most of the fans and even in the IWC. For the time being, Daniel Bryan is still probably the most popular wrestler despite missing his obvious push after returning from his injury and short lived title reign. The IC title seems more like a consolation prize for Bryan and his immense fan base.

Cena is self explanatory. He's been the face of the WWE for many years. After being at the forefront for so long and so early, Cena's certainly on the back end of his career despite having several years ahead of him before he declines athletically. Fans are still divided on hating/loving Cena, but he elicits a strong response regardless.

All that to say, after last night the mid-card titles don't seem all that mid-cardish anymore...

In the past; particularly in WCW, former Heavyweight Champions and top draws have gone to hold midcard titles. Sting, and Flair had a couple of US title runs. Luger had a brief TV title run. In the WWE, wrestlers going back to the IC title after winning the Heavyweight Championship was a little more rare. There are some examples, like Michaels unnecessarily winning the European Championship.

It seems like the lines are pretty blurry. More than likely Reigns will enter a feud with Rollins as former Shield members. Maybe Randy Orton will make a claim for the belt since he beat Rollins earlier that night, but it's unlikely.

Regardless, you have Daniel Bryan who is still at the height of his career and popularity holding the IC title, and Cena who is the most established wrestler on the roster holding the US title, with Rollins or Reigns; two upstarts, vying for the World Belt. Seems a little blurrly as to where each belt should be in the pecking order at this point and what exactly the WWE has planned for Cena or Bryan. Will they be putting over younger talent? If Bryan who never really got his time in the spotlight starts putting guys over, then the WWE has killed his character administratively. On the other side, how does Cena lose to a guy at the US title tier?

The WWE hasn't bothered to make a distinction between the IC or US title, but as of now it's starting to look like all the singles titles are much more even on the card based off who's holding them.

i disagree, for the 1st in a long time.. not only did we get a Monday Night RAW with both US and IC titles defended.. but BOTH matches were freaking awesome.. i mean both matches were very fun to watch, and both matches successfully suspended my disbelief cause i wasnt 100% sure who was gonna win..

Lately, actually for yearss, most ic & us title matches on raw or smackdown are not only easily predictable, but very boring. normally you saw very simple, very safe, very 80's wwf style which imo is when one wrestler controls the heat, lets 2 -3 false comebacks, then changes the heat and either takes it home or dusty ending.. all that jazz and includes your typical lazy striking with way too often slapping of body parts for every move!

Then last night the " intercontinental Dragon" ( share it!) and Mr. show on used very stiff but very safe, (its a difficult artform) , striking such as those headbutts, kicks, forearms, suplexes.. and starting back up the quick changing of the heat which i recall seeing often in IC TITLE MATCHES back with ROCK & AUSTIN or HHH & ROCK or HHH & ROCK..

it makes the match more exciting, more realistic, and its great that each challenger is just as much over with the universe as the champ and then they included more wrestlers to get involved in the scene like Wade Barrett who might have been in a major slump, but with talented talent! Wade is $$, PLUS it looks like he used cena's orange juice or maybe cesaro's meat sauce !! Because Wade looks Super Ripped which always helps a wrestler in this Biz get over, & be taken more as a threat.. ur Look is uber important... and when wade was semi chubber with flat muscles u just dont think of him as a " bare knucle brawler" but with his height, evil cape & smile and body he could have easily been brad's bodyguard in fight club 2 but we'll enjoy him now so bryan will have some else to beat while feuding with Sheamus & Ziggler.

Cena & Ambrose did a good job too, the fans let us know that, and i dont just count that as post WM excitement... cena is not at the end of his career.. trust me, i know hes been full time since 2002 ( - injury, + ovdubs) but he is in incredible condition.. ( Not just appearance) he has lotta gas left in tank, and i like that he is allowing ROLLINS, BROCK, REIGNS, ORTON feud for the main title, which cena could step in2 at any time.. but we'll see if Rusev blames Lana and wants revenge ( likely, while Lana becomes diva/star)..

i also enjoy seeing two talented guys fight for a meaningful championship instead of it having to be Good vs Evil!! i wanna see more Ambrose vs Cena, Ambrose vs Bryan, even Ziggler vs Cena
and my ultimate goal which i have a feeling this will happen by the WM32 or sooner.. unify the US title and IC title keep it the most meaningful prize under the world title, but give it rules.. well i was gonna say bring up a new (old) title - TV TITLE which must be defended on every RAW, Smackdown.. but maybe that is an old idea.. maybe instead DEBUT the NEW WWE NETWORK CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE.. can only be defended on the network = monthly ppvs, main event, SuperStars, sometimes NXT. but never on tv.. let stand out nxt competitors challenge for it.. more important DEBUT and Stick to a TOP TEN.. loved this gimmick in wcw when flair left..
Champ then #1 is either ic or us ( thats the problem)
But the valuable benefit of creating this controversial TOP TEN list is when #3 is battling #2 there is a HUGE reason for #3 to win and #2 not to lose! one could move up closer to title shot and other could move down Farther from his dreams!
Maybe is time for Brand Split again..?? except for monthly ppvs (special events) NOT JUST YET.. but if u spend one year TRULY making US and IC titles Super important Like Mr.Perfect's ic reign and Rick Rude's US reign

then a brand split could work well.. with a great roster right now, and sooo much great talent in nxt which is obviously working since Kalisto and Neville stole the Damn Show Monday NIGHT!!

holy cannoli with powdered suger my brother, did u see Neville.!! i dont care what you call him, this guy flys BETTER than Rey Mysterio with a body like Chris Masters!!!

ps. i do enjoy Big E's look and work, like a super version of TAZ, i also enjoy Kofi but he really needs a mean streak and Xavier is obviously very talented... BUT who was the idiot to let them act like Positive Sunday Preachers.. its not funny, its not serious, it makes them slow, boring, CRINGE WORTHY.. and they are too talented for that.. give them one more man and let them re-invent the NATION.. not because of the color of their skin..but just anti- establishment holding down their talents, not getting what their deserve.. Titus O'Neill could add firepower to that group who btw is the most under-rated talent.. so strong, so charismatic, so athletic for a big man.. i know four African-American talents just seem like they are together cause of that.. but they can and would make it clear they are taking over.. with the right writing, tv time, backstage hype promos, attitude, they could easily hold all the gold and rule the ring... or end up on the spring cleaning Future Endeavered list and move to orlando & enjoy conventions!! way too sad , way too talented.. like Shelton & Hass were Except KOFI, BIGGIE, Xavier, Titus are much more entertaining with a mic and seem to love the business.. who agrees

wow i didnt plan on this much!! i had to vent, not gunna apologize! cause no 1 forced u to read it all.. like millions r forced to see NEW DAY..NEW DAY!! HAHA oh man

ps, ADAM ROSE, Zack Ryder, need to attend like some serious re-invention conventions soon or they will also be wrestling AUSTIN ARIES.. which is great but the check is smaller as is the eyes on u!

what other names do you feel need to " attend the re-invention convention!".. as many times in the past guys who stunk up the joint reinvented their gimmicks, themselves and BOOM hit GOLD, Made $, Put butts in seats
i wouldnt even put ascension in that list, i would seriously just give them two months off and force them to live in a gym & train with cesaro, and cena, & neville!! u get my point.

This is the only thing that bothers me about Rollins cashing in.
Mania was amazing but with the thought of Brock retaining and being the part time heavyweight champion that only fights 6 times over the course of the year it made a ton of sense to have top guys like Cena and Bryan hold the mid-card belts. It would have helped keep PPVs credible with meaningful main events and whatnot.

I for one am a bit irked by the idea of Reigns vs. Rollins battling for the WWE Heavyweight title while longer tenured stars such as Bryan will be fighting in mid-card matches for titles that have been passed around by non-main event talent for the last 15 years.

I disagree. WHC is on a whole different level. Now US and IC that's an argument. I can't really tell the difference but from the looks of things, it looks like US is a bigger priority than IC.

While I can't say this for 100% certainty, as I've know way of actually knowing, I'm of the opinion that one reason why Bryan wasn't in the main event picture for WrestleMania this year is due to WWE officials being concerned for his health. The arguments of Bryan being a fad or that it's only his catchphrase that's over simply don't hold water anymore. Fads don't see their popularity grow over a period of several years and while Bryan's catchphrase is fun to say and do, it can't account for the massive levels of support from fans. When Bryan announced his return for the Royal Rumble, WWE officials had plans in place that'd been set for a while. They could have changed them, but Vince genuinely, probably, thought Reigns would have no trouble getting over with fans at the level he needed to. Plus, Bryan's only been back in action for a few months after missing 9 months due to his neck problems, so the only way to find out whether or not Bryan will be good for the long haul is to just wait & see. If Bryan makes it through the rest of 2015 healthy and with no problems, I think it's likely we'll see him back in the main event picture next year at some point.

I agree with the notion that the IC title is something of a consolation prize but, at the same time, it's a consolation prize with a legit purpose. For quite a long time, fans & wrestlers alike have been wanting to see the IC title restored to a level of prestige it hasn't enjoyed for years. Bryan's the most over babyface on the roster and while that should justify him being in the main event scene, he's also the likeliest candidate to restore prestige to the Intercontinental Championship. Of course, a lot of that will depend on how he's booked as champion but, as I said, he's the most over face on the roster, his popularity has been proven, tested and it's simply not going anywhere. As a result, it makes it highly unlikely that WWE doesn't book him as a very strong champion. If they do, then all they've done is piss away a golden opportunity and, for anytime in the foreseeable future, obliterated any shot of restoring real interest in the Intercontinental Championship. Just within the course of this week alone, the IC title feels more relevant now than it has in a long time and that relevance will only continue to grow if they book Bryan strong as champion. What that means is keeping him visible on television and not jobbing him out via pinfall or submission in 80% of the matches he wrestles.

As for John Cena and the United States Championship, it's pretty much the same thing. Rusev was a strong US champion, he certainly gained the most from being champion than anyone else has in several years. John Cena, however, is all but guaranteed to be booked as a strong champion, maybe the strongest in WWE's use of the title. If there's anyone that's least likely to be booked as a chump champion, it's Cena. He's been the face of WWE for over a decade, has worked his ass off for the company, has feuded with every major name in WWE over the past 12 years and won 15 World Championships along the way. At the same time, a lot of fans, and I don't just mean internet fans, are burned out and flat out bored with John Cena in the WWE WHC picture. His legacy is already chiseled in stone, so I don't see anything wrong with using his star power to bring a whole new level of relevance to the United States Championship.

As was mentioned, this past Monday on Raw, we saw both the WWE's mid-card championships defended in what were not only great matches, not only the strongest matches on the show, but defended by the two men who have the best shots at bringing the titles to another level.

As for Rollins as WWE WHC, the guy's just flat out ready. He's got the tools on the mic, he's got the personality and he's got the goods in the ring. Based just on how things are looking right now, Rollins' first opponent for the title is bound to be Randy Orton and it'll be a great opportunity for Rollins to gain credibility as champion. Here's what I think could happen: Rollins has feuds with Orton and Reigns, possibly even Dean Ambrose, over the course of the next several months. At Battleground, we could see the return of Brock Lesnar via Paul Heyman explaining on Raw the next night that Lesnar's attorneys managed to get the suspension lifted, Lesnar's back and he demands his rematch, which ultimately happens at SummerSlam. I see Rollins dropping the title back to Lesnar at SummerSlam, at the very earliest, possibly engaging in a feud with Lesnar that culminates at Survivor Series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back