Third Round - Mexico City: Sadistic Madness - Andre the Giant vs. Rob Van Dam

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Andre the Giant

• Rob Van Dam

Results are only viewable after voting.
Andre would win. No question. RVD has a lot of passion, and all that jazz but no way is he NOT bleeding in this match. Andre dominates opponents smaller than him and beats them brutally. Even bigger men like Killer Khan have gone down to Andre. The fact is while Van Dam does have speed, Andre's got power, weight and height advantages in this match. Van Dam goes down swinging but gets taken out.

I'm gonna be going with Andre as well, as many others before me has said, he might be able to make Andre bleed first, but in the end, he's not gonna be able to get Andre down for a pin, it's just not gonna happen

Andre is too big, too strong, and way too dominant in his prime than RVD ever was in his prime, or any point in his career.

Andre is gonna pull this one off pretty cleanly... or maybe not too cleanly, a little messy, bloody, but RVD is pinned.

I can't believe it, but I agree with Tenta's original post 110%. Any which way you look at it, RVD would not be able to win here. If this had been an actual first blood match, I would give it to RVD, because his weapons expertise would get the big man bleeding, but there is no chance RVD gets Andre down for a 3 count.

I love RVD, always have. He has a unique style that really can't be seen anywhere else, and I always thought despite the lack of a proper or prolonged push, his everyman persona always struck a chord with the crowd, hence his massive popularity.

That said, RVD has not faced too many men like Andre. The only guy that comes close is Big Show of course. Show is arguably the more athletic of the two, but he still is not as strong as Andre. And if memory serves me right, the only time I can remember these two locking up was over the WWECW Title, and I am pretty sure Show always came out over RVD.

In terms of big money players RVD has beaten, can someone please provide me examples of RVD beating Austin, Rock, Triple H or the Undertaker because for the life of me I can't remember any of those wins happening. And RVD's win over Cena (as awesome as it was) was EXTREMELY circumstantial. I will give you the wins over Angle, Orton, and Edge, however, just remember what happened shortly after RVD beat Edge and Orton in 06 and 07. Edge took the WWE title from RVD just a few short weeks later and Orton put RVD out of the WWE with a vicious RKO right after their stretcher match.

Anyway, I am getting away from my point. RVD, as fun as he is to watch on TV and PPV, on the big stage, he never broke through the glass ceiling (not withstanding his current status in TNA). In terms of kayfabe, in the ring, his unique offense will not be able to match the raw power of Andre.

FINALLY... the bullshit RVD dream is going to end in this round.

In most cases, the match type would probably favor RVD. Shit, he's more agile, quicker, has a more unorthodox style moveset, and is obviously more high-flying. But this is one of the matches that is completely one-sided towards Andre.

RVD can fly around the ring, do backflips, roll on the canvas, jump up for frog splashes, touch his toes, spin in a circle, and sing "Yankee Doodle Dandy", but Andre would look at him, laugh, punch him in the head, and bust him WIDE open. Sorry, but this is fact.

In Andre's heyday, for a super heavyweight, he was probably the most agile man you had ever seen. Even though his agility doesn't compare to RVD, that doesn't mean that he wouldn't catch RVD in the middle of one of his high-profile moves and deliver the cabash.

I don't care how many arguments are made by the RVD fanboys on this site... he got a bad draw here. With Andre's superheavyweight agility in relation to his size and strength, once he grabs a hold of RVD, it would be goodnight Irene.

The arguing goes to insane heights as the rounds continue. It’s not so much pulling for who’s going to win, it is about someone telling you you’re wrong. It’s an ego thing I see. I get it. With that said I am going RVD.

Why? I honestly don’t think Andre will be able to get the upper hand in this match. He is too slow, and even in his prime RVD is just leaps and bounds ahead of him in the agility department. With hardcore rules in place, I don’t think Andre has the ability to get the win.

I’m not talking about drawing power, influence, past wins, cheating, ECW vs. WWE, or anything like that. If this were a real match in a real tournament, I believe it would play out with David slaying Goliath. If this was just a regular match on a PPV or on a weekly show, Andre would most likely win. But for kayfabe booking purposes and for the sake of keeping this tournament fun, I don’t see any reason why Andre would or even should win this match.

Here is my reasoning behind voting for RVD:

1) He is faster than Andre. The Giant would have a hard time really getting a hold of him. Plus RVD has the ability to use the ropes and also leave the ring. Andre’s stamina and lack of speed will prove to be a detriment to him.

2) Andre can get “okey-doked”. While RVD isn’t a Hogan or a Warrior, those two showed that there is a formula to beat Andre. Catch him off guard and get the quick 1, 2, 3. RVD has more than enough in his arsenal to do this. Plus he has been in matches with guys much more agile than Andre and equally as big (Big Show). I’m sure he’s learned from his mistakes and has studied tape of Andre.

3) Chop down the tree. Use weapons to attack the legs. Andre isn’t quick enough to prevent RVD from doing this.

4) It is great to see the underdog win. I am always one to pull for the guy that everyone either doesn’t think will win, or doesn’t want to win. Not in a jobber or a shit wrestler going over someone kind of way, but in a way where the underdog gets propelled to the next level and can use the win to build his career. I think RVD would create some fun match ups if he stays in the tournament. He shakes things up. Andre is predicatable, and isn’t really fun to vote on.

So for the sake of entertaining myself, and going against the grain, I am voting for RVD, and you should to. If I was booking this tournament…RVD would win. The fans would love it, and it would make a great story. Andre doesn’t need the win…he’s already etched his mark in pro wrestling history. RVD has more to gain. Give it to him here, and let a guy like Sting, Undertaker, or Bret Hart take him out if need be. Andre can afford to get bumped. It doesn’t take away from his greatness and how much respect we all have for the guy.

Vote RVD here.

I also want to add that Hogan was already a main eventer before his big encounter with Andre…but he was no Andre. He was a huge underdog, and was going against guy who was billed as not losing in 14 years! He “should’ve” lost that match also, but he pulled it out and created a legacy off of that match.

We can now say that Hogan is great and his win over Andre was indeed epic…but what if he had lost? It really wouldn’t have been a surprise since Andre hadn’t lost in “forever”. I am applying that logic here to my voting. RVD isn’t expected to win here, but isn’t that was wrestling is about? I am sure a lot of the votes for Andre are out of respect for the man, which is completely valid…but my vote here is for how much fun would it be to see this play out on television and in a real tournament. The building would explode if RVD pulled out the win and moved on in the tournament. Andre winning will just be….”Ok, Andre won…who’s next?”.

Hogan wouldn’t have been Hogan (at least on the level that he was) had he not beaten Andre. He wasn’t supposed to win….but he did. RVD should win here also. He pulls it out by busting Andre open, and getting a quick 1, 2, 3, while the big man is down and stunned.

Had to go with Andre here. There are many things other than his brilliant role in the Princess Bride that favor him in this match. Him being a thousand times bigger than RVD is likely going to help. Not sure what there is to argue about that. Andre is bigger and that'll help him.

I don't think either one is more suceptible to bleeding than the other. Maybe since RVD was in ECW he's used to it, but I dunno. Either way, that won't be the question here. It'll take quite awhile for RVD to do damage to Andre, while Andre could probably put down RVD at any time. I like RVD, but Andre is no Desmond Wolfe, that's for sure.

I also want to add that Hogan was already a main eventer before his big encounter with Andre…but he was no Andre. He was a huge underdog, and was going against guy who was billed as not losing in 14 years! He “should’ve” lost that match also, but he pulled it out and created a legacy off of that match.

We can now say that Hogan is great and his win over Andre was indeed epic…but what if he had lost? It really wouldn’t have been a surprise since Andre hadn’t lost in “forever”. I am applying that logic here to my voting. RVD isn’t expected to win here, but isn’t that was wrestling is about? I am sure a lot of the votes for Andre are out of respect for the man, which is completely valid…but my vote here is for how much fun would it be to see this play out on television and in a real tournament. The building would explode if RVD pulled out the win and moved on in the tournament. Andre winning will just be….”Ok, Andre won…who’s next?”.

Hogan wouldn’t have been Hogan (at least on the level that he was) had he not beaten Andre. He wasn’t supposed to win….but he did. RVD should win here also. He pulls it out by busting Andre open, and getting a quick 1, 2, 3, while the big man is down and stunned.

This is some of the most non-sensical and convoluted logic in history. Absolutely horrid. I'm sorry man, but it just is.

Basically, what you are saying, is that because of the main event of Wrestlemania 3 ended with an upset victory for the - wait for it - DEFENDING CHAMPION - that from now on, ALL Davids will beat ALL Goliaths.

You systematically neglect the following facts:

1. At WM3, Andre was already out of his prime. This tournament takes wrestlers in their prime, which means late 70's / early 80's Andre, who was a beast.

2. Rob van Dam is not, in any way, and never has been, Hulk Hogan.

3. Hogan is a power wrestler. Power Wrestlers have a chance against Superheavyweights. Rob van Dam is not a power wrestler in any way, shape or form.

Incidentally, by your logic, because the US Olympic Hockey Team beat Russia in the 1980 Olympics, that the NY Islanders and Edmonton Oilers should be winning all the Stanley Cups right now. Furthermore, the Pittsburgh Pirates are now 5-time defending World Series Champions. Why? Because Hogan beat Andre. Isn't that what it's all about?

:shrug:

Yeah, I can't see any result but an Andre win here. Van Dam certainly could make him bleed, and I think that there are very few wrestlers who wouldn't end up bleeding in this kind of setting, but I just don't see how Van Dam is going to win. He has to actually get Andre down to do that.

He's not strong enough to slam him, and though weapons are allowed, is he really going to get enough time to repeatedly hit Andre, as it always takes multiple hits to feel superheavyweights? I don't think so.

Andre almost never goes down at all, and I don't think he's ever been down long enough for someone to hit a top rope move, which pretty much quashes any hope that RVD has of putting him away. Andre takes this one fairly routinely, I reckon.

This is some of the most non-sensical and convoluted logic in history. Absolutely horrid. I'm sorry man, but it just is.

Basically, what you are saying, is that because of the main event of Wrestlemania 3 ended with an upset victory for the - wait for it - DEFENDING CHAMPION - that from now on, ALL Davids will beat ALL Goliaths.

You systematically neglect the following facts:

1. At WM3, Andre was already out of his prime. This tournament takes wrestlers in their prime, which means late 70's / early 80's Andre, who was a beast.

2. Rob van Dam is not, in any way, and never has been, Hulk Hogan.

3. Hogan is a power wrestler. Power Wrestlers have a chance against Superheavyweights. Rob van Dam is not a power wrestler in any way, shape or form.

Incidentally, by your logic, because the US Olympic Hockey Team beat Russia in the 1980 Olympics, that the NY Islanders and Edmonton Oilers should be winning all the Stanley Cups right now. Furthermore, the Pittsburgh Pirates are now 5-time defending World Series Champions. Why? Because Hogan beat Andre. Isn't that what it's all about?

:shrug:

Whatever floats your boat IC, I really don't care what you think about my vote. I'm not looking to debate in this match, because I knew it would be a landslide for Andre in the voting category.

However, I just don't want to see Andre win. RVD going through makes the tournament more interesting. The reason why I actually posted my reasons is because some people think in their infinite wisdom of all things wrestling that there is no way in hell RVD would ever get a win over Andre the Giant.

Andre is not untouchable, and a guy like RVD would be booked to beat him...its not unthinkable.

I remember seeing Andre run from Jake the Snake because he was afraid of Damien, and I remember him getting squashed by the Ultimate Warrior. Yeah, Andre was old and out of his prime but still...the point being is that the guy is human, and RVD is far from shit. Underdog...yes. But isn't that what wrestling is about?

Call me crazy, but I think RVD should win. I'm not debating it here. I'm just stating how I feel on this one. RVD is going to lose, but it would be pretty cool if he won. I think some people should try to shake the tournament up a little more sometimes. We almost let Moolah beat Hogan in Round 1. RVD can slide here. Andre wasn't that fun to watch, he was just a spectacle. RVD is fun to watch, and he entertains me....so I voted for him...sue me.:lmao:

With all due respect to RVD, as was stated earlier in this thread by Lariat, RVD shouldn't even be here. However,since he is,he's pretty much dead meat here as far as I'm concerned. Kayfabe wise, (and reality wise) Andre is just too damn big and too damn powerful for RVD to be able to hold him down for a 3 count. I have no doubt he could make the boss bleed, but I have STRONG doubt that he could hold him down for the pin. Another thing that came to me as I was thinking a little bit about this matchup was, would Andre job to RVD? I mean, really, how many guys did Andre actually do the job for? Inoki, in Japan, El Canek, in Mexico, Hogan, UW in the US, but other than that , not very many others. This is another doubt that I have concerning this, because I don't believe that ATG would have jobbed to a guy that was not much more than an upper midcard performer. So, with that being said, I see this kayfabe wise as RVD sticks and moves, probably busts the big boss open early. Andre sells like a sonovabitch for him, and makes him look like a real opponent,assuming that RVD doesn't piss him off during the match.(If he does piss Andre off, Andre crushes him REAL quick). But then RVD gets just a bit too reckless and makes a mistake, allowing ATG to take over on him. A series of fists to the head crack him open in a big hurry, then a whip to the ropes, followed by a big boot to the head and a split splash finishes off RVD.
Bottom line, Andre wins big. vote Andre.

Whatever floats your boat IC, I really don't care what you think about my vote.

I call bullshit. If you didn't care, you wouldn't have responded.

I'm not looking to debate in this match, because I knew it would be a landslide for Andre in the voting category.

Fortunately this isn't taking place on a discussion forum where debates regulary take place. So you picked the right medium to avoid defending your choice. Well done, sir!

However, I just don't want to see Andre win.

Peice of advice - want to not see it? Avoid the thread. :)

RVD going through makes the tournament more interesting.

Yes, it adds the "how the hell is this guy still in this thing?" storyline. That is true.

The reason why I actually posted my reasons is because some people think in their infinite wisdom of all things wrestling that there is no way in hell RVD would ever get a win over Andre the Giant.

Yeah, that's vaguely what this poll is seeking to determine.

Andre is not untouchable, and a guy like RVD would be booked to beat him...its not unthinkable.

Sure it is. How many people were booked to beat Andre? You can count them practically on one hand. Hogan. Warrior. Canek. Inoki. All the biggest stars of their respective country at one time or another. All of them bigger and better than Rob van Dam. Now don't get me wrong, I like van Dam as an entertainer, but I take the kayfabe approach, not the "let's be a fucking booking committee" approach. If we looked at everything from a "how would this be booked?" perspective, then there would be no point to anyone but Hogan, Cena, Warrior, and maybe 2 or 3 other guys to be in this thing.

I remember seeing Andre run from Jake the Snake because he was afraid of Damien, and I remember him getting squashed by the Ultimate Warrior

Wait for it...

Yeah, Andre was old and out of his prime

There it is.

but still...the point being is that the guy is human, and RVD is far from shit.

Yes, thank you for establishing that Andre is a human being. Everyone got that? Anyone want to change their vote with this new knowledge that Andre is NOT, as e previously suspected, a large zombie?

Underdog...yes. But isn't that what wrestling is about?

See my previous posts about the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Call me crazy,

Nutbag.

but I think RVD should win.

:lmao:

I'm not debating it here.

Clearly.

I'm just stating how I feel on this one.

Thank you for clearing that up.

RVD is going to lose,

And he's going to lose HUGE...

but it would be pretty cool if he won.

It would also be cool if Jennifer Aniston came over for a threesome with my wife and I. Because, you know, I'm like the underdog and stuff. But I'd come through...if ya know what I mean...

I think some people should try to shake the tournament up a little more sometimes.

...???

We almost let Moolah beat Hogan in Round 1.

Ah-ha, and that was also logical.

RVD can slide here.

Yeah, we'll just systematically overlook the fact that he is ridiculously overmatched.

Andre wasn't that fun to watch, he was just a spectacle.

Um...ok...

News flash, kitten. What makes something a spectacle? The fact that people like to watch it.

RVD is fun to watch, and he entertains me....

I assume you have ADHD

so I voted for him...sue me.:lmao:

Sly, since I am no longer an admin, would you kindly take all of Suneeboy's V-Cash away from him and give it to me? Thanks a bunch!

Rob Van Dam has 23 votes.:wtf: There are many compelling matches in round 3. This is not one of them. Andre would destroy RVD. The only reason anyone could possibly vote for RVD is if they are confused about Andre's prime. A lot of people seem to think Andre was in his prime at WrestleMania III. Not the case. Andre was already well past his prime and still managed to main event the biggest show in wrestling history.

I'm guessing those who voted RVD saw Andre in the late 80's and assume RVD can run circles around him. Andre was so far past his prime he could barely walk to the ring. Andre's prime was in the 70's and early 80's. RVD of 1998 is no competition for Andre of 1978. The only other reason to vote RVD is to make an obvious landslide at least a little interesting by taking the side of the underdog and creating a discussion.

RVD was your common or garden stoner who can do kicks and backflips. Andre the Giant was the greatest drunk on earth. The best drinker in the world > average pot smoker.

And, ya know Andre was miles better than RVD and would slaughter him in this match.

As the general consensus has stated, Andre is bigger than RVD, I think thats obvious. I myself am voting for Andre on that factor but also I have never seen Andre bleed. How hard will it be get to someone of that size to bleed? But the question I believe should be posed is this, at what point does someone that is bleeding profusely simply run out of energy or for that matter, blood, to be able to compete and outlast his opponent. Sure each of them may bleed but in a bleed out, who would last longer? My money is on Andre.

Andre's got this locked up, but there's one thing I forgot to mention. Andre is going to have and easy time making RVD bleed. He doesn't need any weapons. Take a look.

[YOUTUBE]Qc7s-N7iqJA[/YOUTUBE]

I know RVD is better than Poffo, but you saw how easy that was. One headbutt and Andre can be half way to victory. Like I said, Andre's pretty much won this already. I just wanted to post that video.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back