The Top News Stories of 2013

LSN80

King Of The Ring
With 2013 officially in the books, I'd like to do something I do every year: Take a look at the top news stories, in my opinion, from over the past 12 months. Unlike past year, however, I'm not going to produce a poll, as I've found that my list, unsurprisingly, is different then that of someone who lives in, say, Scotland. The stories I've found to be important are tied in to the region of the globe where I live, and an event such as Obamacare and its rollout is going to be important to me. Someone from Scotland? They may read about it with interest, but it's not going to be a blip on their radar in terms of gravitas, at least, not likely.

The other factor that weighs in is the personal level with which the news hits someone. When 9/11/2001 took place, many of us remember where they were, and always will. At the time, however, the story didn't hold the attention of this then college senior, until I remembered that my cousin, a flight attendant, flew out of the airport and for the airline where the highjackers hit. I later found out that she was scheduled to be working that very flight, Flight 93. Only a few days prior had switched shifts with a friend so that she could see her boyfriend, who was only in town for a few days himself. And while we as a nation mourned the event and the lives lost, the story was real even moreso to those who had loved ones inside the World Trade Center that were hit, or on that flight. So, the importance of the news is also very personal.

Finally, there's the media aspect to this as well. When i say media, I'm not referring to a publication put out by a website, a newspaper or a magazine, I'm referring to the things in the media that we consume. Even if you have never seen the actual show, I'd wager that most people have heard of the Sapranos, and know who James Gandolfini is. But for those who watched the show with neo-religious fervor for its 6 seasons, Gandolfini's death likely will be more impactful then for those who dropped in now and then, or somehow, have never watched the show.

So, it's with those things in mind that I list the two stories I found to be the most important in 2013.

2. George Zimmerman is acquitted: For me, this one was a big deal because of the nature in which the 'Stand Your Ground' law was thrust into the forefront of the issue here. Zimmerman's defense team never used the law, a controversial one at that. But I couldn't turn on the TV or have a discussion surrounding Zimmerman without in turn having this law mentioned somewhere. It was smart strategy by his defense, as Zimmerman, at least at first, became the aggressor in his pursuit of Trayvon Martin. The irony here was that if anything, it was Martin who 'Stood His Ground', and in doing so, lost his life. This also raised the too-common themes of racism and stereotyping. Was it truly self-defense, as Zimmerman claimed? Or was it racial profiling by a neighborhood-watch volunteer? I don't know the answer to that, but what I do know is this: Had Zimmerman stayed in his vehicle as the dispatcher had ordered him to, this wouldn't be something I'm even raising as a big news story.

1. Defense Of Marriage Act struck down: Whether you're Phil Jackson or Phil Robertson, it seems, every D-list celebrity to the most influential has had something to say about this some time in 2013. June 26th saw the United States Supreme Court esentially change the way a marriage is defined. By a vote of 5-4, the highest court in the United States voted to allow the same rights legally for two men or two women that once had been reserved for only a man and a woman. They also dismissed an appeal to uphold California's ban of same-sex marriages, and in doing so, took mammouth steps toward leveling the playing field for all who wish to be married. Said Justice Anthony Kennedy, writing about the vote to do away with DOMA.
“It undermines both the public and private significance of state-sanctioned same-sex marriages; for it tells those couples, and all the world, that their otherwise valid marriages are unworthy of federal recognition.”
What's more, previous supporters from Barack Obama to former President Bill Clinton have spoken out in favor of this. Clinton, in fact, the president who signed DOMA into effect, has publicly said that now, just 17 years later, he supports the decision of the court to abolish DOMA.

Those, in no particular order, are for me the 'most important' news stories of 2013. I'm not interested in those things that drew the most hits, or those that trended the longest. I'd be shocked, however, if those weren't among those that did. For me, it's those stories that touch on equality along with the preservation of the rights of others that are most important, and these two, while polar opposites in doing so, did exactly that.

Some of the other stories I felt to be particularly relevant and big deals included The Boston Marathon Bombing and the way in which the city rebounded, Edward Snowden's leaking of classified data in a misguided attempt to prevent "turn-key tyranny", and The Federal Government shutting down for 16 days, costing the nation 23 billion dollars in an attempt by Republicans, right or wrong, to essentially destroy the Affordable Care Act.

What was the most important news story of 2013, to you? Why?

I look forward to hearing your responses.

The Boston Marathon bombing.....when a person has dedicated his/her life to being a terrorist.....to being a person who creates nothing and builds nothing, but rather, only destroys what others have created and built, it's uncanny how they're often able to hit where it hurts the most......which is, of course, their intention.

The Boston Marathon is an event that people the world over participate in and follow. Thousands of runners enter; the vast majority with no real expectation of winning the race, but rather getting in on the action and doing his/her level best to achieve whatever individual goals they have set for themselves....to be part of a whole; brotherhood at it's finest.

To this, the two terrorists achieved their goal by taking out as many people as they could. Their individual reasons weren't apparent, but the act of taking human life to satisfy themselves was apparently enough.

The entire city was locked down, in fear, while authorities searched for them. That they were found so fast showed how effective modern law enforcement techniques can be, with one terrorist killed and the other captured.....but by then, the damage was already done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back