The Top Mid Card Face Of The Golden Era?

The Top Mid Card Face Of The Golden Era

• Tito Santana

• Junk Yard Dog

• Ricky Steamboat

• Jake Roberts

• Brutus Beefcake

• Jim Duggan

• Bret Hart

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Brain

King Of The Ring
According to most the Golden Era of the WWF took place from 1985-1992. This is often referred to as the Hulkamania Era as well. During this time Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, and the Ultimate Warrior were the top good guys in the company with Hogan obviously be the number one guy. Who would you say was the number one mid card good guy of that era in terms of either popularity or success? Here is a list of who I feel are the most reasonable choices.

Tito Santana: He was the top mid card guy when this era began. He was a two time IC champion and was very popular with the fans. In those days the IC champ was considered just a step below the world champion. He had a heated rivalry with Greg Valentine in which they traded the IC title back and forth before Santana dropped his second title to Randy Savage. In late 1987 Tito formed a partnership with Rick Martel and the two would hold the tag titles for five months. Eventually they would have an ugly falling out and begin an on again off again rivalry that lasted for a couple years. As the 80s became the 90s Santana remained relevant but often came up on the losing end against most opponents. Still though, he was one of the top guys as the WWF began their national expansion.

Junk Yard Dog: Known for his personality and charisma the JYD was another popular star during the early expansion years. In fact he was second only to Hogan in terms of popularity. The Dog challenged Greg Valentine for the IC title at the first WrestleMania and even though he never won a title in the WWF he was always among the most popular. The fans loved watching him torture Jimmy Hart and feuds with Terry Funk and Adrian Adonis were among the most entertaining during the mid 80s.

Ricky Steamboat: The Dragon entered the WWF early in 1985 and was an instant sensation with the fans. His gimmick and martial arts style made him a marketable superstar. Feuds with Don Muraco, Jake Roberts, and Randy Savage were among the most intense in the WWF. Always known for being one of the best in ring performers, Steamboat is perhaps best remembered for his classic match with Savage at WrestleMania III in which he won the IC title.

Jake Roberts: Initially intended to be a hated heel Jake’s style and gimmick quickly became a hit with the fans. The Snake had some memorable feuds with some of the most hated heels of his era. Going against The Honky Tonk Man, Rick Rude, Andre The Giant, and Ted Dibiase among others always kept Roberts in the fans’ good graces. He would eventually turn heel in 1991 but thanks to Damien and his unique mind for the business Jake the Snake was one of the most popular wrestlers from 1987-1991.

Brutus Beefcake: He wasn’t always popular but once Beefcake broke away from Johnny V and became the Barber he became an overnight superstar with the fans. His unique ring attire, upbeat music, and post match haircuts always kept the fans entertained. Seemingly destined for the IC title Beefcake’s failure to capture singles gold never effected his popularity. He benefited from his friendship with Hulk Hogan but I think Beefcake is better remembered for his rivalries with Greg Valentine, Honky Tonk Man, and Mr. Perfect.

Jim Duggan: His spot on the card often fluctuated but his trusty 2x4, trademark “Hoooooo”, and never ending patriotism always kept Hacksaw among the most popular stars. Never known to back down from a fight Duggan stood up to Andre the Giant on multiple occasions. Nikolai Volkoff, Dino Bravo, and Sgt. Slaughter were often put in their place for the disrespectful attitudes toward the USA. Hacksaw seemed to come off as an average hard working blue collar guy which the fans were able to relate to.

Bret Hart: He’s probably better remembered for his time in the Hart Foundation during this specific timeframe but the Excellence of Execution deserves a mention here too. At various times in 1988 and 1989 the Hitman and the Anvil put their team goals on hold to pursue singles careers before permanently ending their partnership in 1991. The Hitman was clearly ahead of the Anvil and his feuds with Bad News Brown and Mr. Perfect were just the beginning of what would eventually become a hall of fame singles career. Once Bret was a full time singles star he was ready to challenge for the IC title and won it from Mr. Perfect in a thrilling match at SummerSlam 91. Five star matches with Roddy Piper and Davey Boy Smith would follow in 1992 before Bret made the leap to the main event by winning the WWF title from Ric Flair.

So there you have it. My own Magnificent Seven of mid card faces from the Golden Era. Who would you say was the most popular or most successful? Your choices are not limited to these seven. If I missed someone that you think should have been mentioned please say so. Keep in mind this is only for the years 1985-1992.

First off I'll add some guys:-

Big Bossman - Ok, he was only a face for 2 of the years, but during that time he basically replaced Brutus as Hogan's "leiutenant" and regular tag partner. Sure the Warrior got the big Summerslam match, but the rest of the time Hogan needed a partner...Bossman normally got the call. He was better as a heel, but a very good face who managed to get the crowd going from the "Hard Time" ring music and his high impact bullying of heels. Did it work out long term? No, but for 2 years he was one of the top merch sellers and made friends enough with Hogan to get into WCW in that first wave AND back to WWF in time for Attitude.

Roddy Piper: He was never main event past the first Mania. But from the WM3 period onwards, when he was Active he was pretty much the top Upper Midcard guy. His match with Adonis was given massive push as was his fueds with Rick Rude, Bad News and later he passed that torch to Bret.

George Steele - In that early Hulkamania period, George Steele was a heel, but for a short window he became one of their most popular guys and was used high up the card.

But the definitive answer is...

Andre The Giant - For most of the Hulk era, Andre was not the main event or near it even. Before his heel turn he was still being presented as unstoppable, just lower down the card than Hogan. For those 2 years he was undoubtedly the top guy not in the main events.

To me the progression would be:-

Andre - Jake - Bossman - Piper - Bret

I'd have to give a shout out to the Bulldog (well, for 92 at least) as, when wrestling exploded over in Europe in 90 onwards he was a top guy. Never in the main event spot but a real top guy

Personally, JYD was my number 2 behind Hogan but realistically he was not the top mid card face. He didn't win enough or have as meaningful or solid feuds that I always wanted for him. He also kind of came and went too fast.

From a legacy standpoint, Steamboat is the clear winner. He really has become a respected legend in the business. Between WM3, Steamboat/Flair and his recent return competing with Y2J he has cemented himself as one of those guys that will be remembered for a long time and for the right reasons.

However, if you are talking about "at the time" I have to go with Roberts. His feuds and antics were the most outstanding. Sure he is one of the last people you want to represent the industry for his drug abuse, family life and hanging on too long but at the time he was brilliant and brought the best out of anyone he was feuding with. The guy was a tremendous badass. He wasn't young, good looking, or athletic but he was the kind of guy that you believed could find and hold his own in a fight whether it was for the right or wrong reasons.

Oh, and he had a snake too.

Off your list I'll go with Jake Roberts. Reason being he was always relevant and really over in a big way, yet he was always on the higher end of the card and never in the main event at any major ppv's. In two stints with the WWF he never competed for championships but he was always kept in a fairly decent storline with a top face or heel throughout. Bret and Steamboat defiantly had more success in their carers (major feuds and championships wise), but I feel Jake Roberts had a stronger run at 'the top mid card level'.
Very easy for me to pick Bret as 2nd choice, the time/era including his 2 runs as Intercontinental champ, he had some of the greatest matches that I've ever seen.

After seeing the poll, I instantly thought of the Big Boss Man (who was just as over as Duggan and Roberts were during his peak), and think he would've been a good addition to the poll.

Rob Taylor though brought up an interesting point about Andre the Giant, who I obviously didn't think of. Andre is such an icon in the business, that you don't really think of him as a mid-carder, but truth be told, for much of his career, he wasn't really in the main event unless it was a tag team match or a battle royal. Usually he was under whomever was the champion (Whether it was Hogan, Backlund, or Sammartino). Although it's pretty safe to say he was a big draw anyway. But you could say the same thing about Taker too. Even though Andre was much bigger in stature than anyone in this poll, it's hard for me to really consider him a mid-card guy because even though he wasn't in the main event, he was still a big reason that shows sold out and drew. Mid-card guys aren't typically the draws that bring the crowds in, and Andre certainly doesn't fit that category. I kind of feel that saying Andre the Giant is a mid-carder because he didn't wrestle in the main events, is like saying Jimi Hendrix is a one hit wonder, because he only had one song hit the top 20 on the pop charts. It may be technically true, but I don't really think it's fair to call them that.

I think besides the Big Boss Man, I think The Brain got all the right guys. And amongst those guys I would go with Jake, barely over Bret. When I first saw Bret on the poll, I was asking why beings he was in the Hart Foundation for much of the "Golden Era." But then I noticed The Brain specifically said the years 85-92, and obviously between 91-92, Bret was the top mid-card babyface. Unfortunately I had already voted for Jake, but I still think I made the right choice overall.

Bret accomplished way more than Jake did, winning two I-C titles, and main eventing one of the biggest drawing ppvs in history, but that was only for a two year period. Bret was obviously popular during his Hart Foundation days, but he really only had two years as a top mid-card singles babyface before becoming a main eventer. Therefore I will go with Jake.

Jake was the lead mid-card babyface from 87-91, which was quite a run. He had memorable, great feuds with pretty much every notable heel in the company during that run. Honky Tonk Man, Rick Rude, Andre the Giant, Ted Dibiase, Bad News Brown, Rick Martel, Earthquake. Mr. Perfect is the only worthwhile heel from that period that he didn't feud with. As far as who was more over, I'd give him the edge over Beefcake, JYD, Hacksaw, and the Boss Man, though all four of those guys were massively over too. But of all of those talents, Jake was by far the most talented and gifted. I say that in that era Jake and Randy Savage were the best "feud" wrestlers, in that they were the best at making their feuds memorable, no matter how minor the guy they were feuding with were. Jake was also the guy who got a wrestler ready for the main event, which is really a defining role for a mid card guy. If Jake was the guy WWE went to to get someone ready for Hogan or Warrior, then that shows how vital and important he really was. And he was so over he didn't need a title.

Jake was the top (true) midcard babyface for the Hulkamania era in my view. No one in the mid card was more talented, no one else had such an important role in the company, no one was more over, and no one had such a consistent, long run at the top as Jake did. He's the winner in my view.

After seeing the poll, I instantly thought of the Big Boss Man (who was just as over as Duggan and Roberts were during his peak), and think he would've been a good addition to the poll.

Rob Taylor though brought up an interesting point about Andre the Giant, who I obviously didn't think of. Andre is such an icon in the business, that you don't really think of him as a mid-carder, but truth be told, for much of his career, he wasn't really in the main event unless it was a tag team match or a battle royal. Usually he was under whomever was the champion (Whether it was Hogan, Backlund, or Sammartino). Although it's pretty safe to say he was a big draw anyway. But you could say the same thing about Taker too. Even though Andre was much bigger in stature than anyone in this poll, it's hard for me to really consider him a mid-card guy because even though he wasn't in the main event, he was still a big reason that shows sold out and drew. Mid-card guys aren't typically the draws that bring the crowds in, and Andre certainly doesn't fit that category. I kind of feel that saying Andre the Giant is a mid-carder because he didn't wrestle in the main events, is like saying Jimi Hendrix is a one hit wonder, because he only had one song hit the top 20 on the pop charts. It may be technically true, but I don't really think it's fair to call them that.

I think besides the Big Boss Man, I think The Brain got all the right guys. And amongst those guys I would go with Jake, barely over Bret. When I first saw Bret on the poll, I was asking why beings he was in the Hart Foundation for much of the "Golden Era." But then I noticed The Brain specifically said the years 85-92, and obviously between 91-92, Bret was the top mid-card babyface. Unfortunately I had already voted for Jake, but I still think I made the right choice overall.

Bret accomplished way more than Jake did, winning two I-C titles, and main eventing one of the biggest drawing ppvs in history, but that was only for a two year period. Bret was obviously popular during his Hart Foundation days, but he really only had two years as a top mid-card singles babyface before becoming a main eventer. Therefore I will go with Jake.

Jake was the lead mid-card babyface from 87-91, which was quite a run. He had memorable, great feuds with pretty much every notable heel in the company during that run. Honky Tonk Man, Rick Rude, Andre the Giant, Ted Dibiase, Bad News Brown, Rick Martel, Earthquake. Mr. Perfect is the only worthwhile heel from that period that he didn't feud with. As far as who was more over, I'd give him the edge over Beefcake, JYD, Hacksaw, and the Boss Man, though all four of those guys were massively over too. But of all of those talents, Jake was by far the most talented and gifted. I say that in that era Jake and Randy Savage were the best "feud" wrestlers, in that they were the best at making their feuds memorable, no matter how minor the guy they were feuding with were. Jake was also the guy who got a wrestler ready for the main event, which is really a defining role for a mid card guy. If Jake was the guy WWE went to to get someone ready for Hogan or Warrior, then that shows how vital and important he really was. And he was so over he didn't need a title.

Jake was the top (true) midcard babyface for the Hulkamania era in my view. No one in the mid card was more talented, no one else had such an important role in the company, no one was more over, and no one had such a consistent, long run at the top as Jake did. He's the winner in my view.

As ever it's down to how you define "mid carder"... is it the guy with the 2nd title? The guy who has the best match on the card that isn't a main event or the biggest "name/draw" not in the main event?

Andre for that 2 year period of 85-87 was a mix of all 3, he was still agile enough to work a top match as his back injury hadn't 100% ruined him to post 87 levels. He was working mid card feuds almost exclusively, for example the Machines angle. Once he turned heel, he was a main eventer in the traditional sense but only for a short time. He reverted back to mid-card by WM5 as he was physically not up to the level of Savage or Hogan and after that face run never won a Mania or barely a PPV match again. So in reality he swapped the top midcard face role for top midcard heel with that one year of main eventing in between.

Jake wasn't presented as particularly dominant at any time during his face run. He lost at Mania 3, Drew with Rude at Mania 4, Won by DQ at 5 and lost at 6. His only Wrestlemania win as a face was at 7 in the "Blindfold Match" by which stage he was well down the pecking order of mid-card faces.

He picked up wins but he lost as many and while I agree he is perhaps the most memorable mid-card guy of the time, I don't ever think he was positioned as the top guy, but the gimmick perhaps was more memorable than the matches.

As for Steamboat, there is an argument that for a short window in 87 he had that honor and was intended for it, but he was gone so soon that it never really took hold.

Bret was exceedingly popular, even during his tag days, his aborted solo runs in 88 and 89 would easily have taken off had Vince not flipflopped so much. Once he got the push he eased into that spot, but arguably it was more because it had been to all intents vacant since 1990 rather than anything Bret particularly did.

There are some who nearly managed it, Brutus could have been that guy if he was a better worker. Kerry Von Erich could have made it, but if you believe Bret in his book he'd already decided he was going to die and was just waiting for the right time to go. Bulldog could easily have been that guy had the roid crisis not claimed his job or he'd been able to start that year earlier when he was first wanted to replace Beefcake.

The one who should have got a shot but never did was Rick Martel. As good as "The Model" character was, in 87 he could have been an excellent solo face had they not been bent on him being in Tag Teams. He ended up with one more tag run but I think Martel would have been a great opponent for Honky Tonk Man and could have been a top face guy for many years.

As far as over with the fans go, and how good said person's feuds were I would have to go with Jake Roberts. He didn't have the best win loss record, but I remember how much time he got and how over his feuds were. His feud with Rude was outstanding. The crowd wanted Jake to get back at Rude so bad. He had a tendency to bee the feel good character. For example when Rick Martel blinded him, and he got his revenge in the blind fold match. That feud was a centerpiece of Saturday morning tv. Rude kissed Jake's wife automatically putting Jake in the sympathetic role. He was a guy the fans loved to get behind, and for that reason I think he was the top midcard face of that era.

Ricky Steamboat. He stayed a baby face for his entire WWE run 1985-1988, more often that not had the greatest matches on each show. His high flying and karate gimmick was super over and his IC reign was only cut short due to him wanting time off to be there for the birth of his son. Im going to forget his second run in 1991 actually ever happened. His feuds with Randy Saavage and Jake Roberts stand out and watching those old matches today they still stand up. This is where my decision is decidedly based. JYD only really fueded with Adrian Adonis,Terry Funk and Harley race during that time and was always on the losing end. JYD set up the heel for their run against Hogan. Santana was the number two guy for at the start of the Golden era, but once he moved on to the tag team ranks in mid 1987, his steam started to be lost, in my opinion. Im not considering anybody who was face and heel during that time, to me to be the greatest mid card face of that era, they needed to be a face for all of the majority of that time frame. This is why Jake Roberts does not work for me, heel in 1985 to early 1987 then 1991-1992. He was hugely over though as a face in 1987-1990, but did miss alot of 1990 with his neck injury.

I quickly voted out of the gate for JYD, based on his popularity. That was one of the options and I rolled w/it. However...

Robtaylor brought up a good point about Piper. When Piper turned face, he was very over. It's been a while, but I remember the crowd erupting whenever he came down the aisle.

Piper was a good call, Rob. One of my all time favorites.

I didn't put Andre The Giant or Roddy Piper in my poll for a few reasons. First, I think they're a step above the rest of the guys on the list. Second, I think they're better remembered as heels during this time (epecially Andre). Last, when they were faces they didn't wrestle a consistent full time schedule. Injuries and other commitments kept Andre off tv for some of 1986 and his heel turn took place early in 1987. He turned face again in 1990 but never actually wrestled as a face after his turn. Piper bounced between the ring and the announce table pretty regularly. He had some good feuds and maybe should have made it on my poll but his inconsistency kept him off.

I'm surprised Bret Hart has as many votes as he does. Well not surprised, but I think he and Tito Santana should have equal support. Obviously with Bret having his run at the end of this era while Tito's was at the beginning is why there is such a difference in the votes. A lot of people probably remember Tito as a regular loser in the early 90s instead of a top guy of the mid 80s.

I haven't even voted on my own poll but I think I agree with the majority. Jake Roberts may be my choice here. His longevity, popularity, and quality of oppostion make him the top mid card face despite the fact that he never won, or even challenged for any titles in the WWF.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned my pick which would be Mr. Perfect Curt Henning. He was by far the best "wrestler" in the company in that era. I beleived he joined WWF in 1989 I remember him beating the Blue Blazer at WM5 and after that he continued to rise however he wasn't a Main Eventer but he did feud with Hulk Hogan for the title. He deserved to get to that Main Event spot but he had great matches and was a 2 time IC Champ.

See that word face not heel meaning the best babyface Mr Perfect didn't turn face until 1993 when he ended up feuding with Ric Flair

I'd probably go with Bret for this, mostly because my childhood memories were of everyone loving him (he wasn't lying when he said he was popular than Hogan in Europe) and wanting to watch him in action, whether it be as a singles or in a tag team.

Plus, if we're defining this era up to 1992, he brought the IC Title into the main event seen and sold out Wembley Arena, which when you take out the bogus Wrestlemania 3 attendance rate is the second highest gate ever I believe.

Tito had great run. Tito/Valentine may be the best feud ever for the IC title. But I too, grew up on Bret. Bret from Summerslam 1991, until the day he won the world title and became a main eventer, is one of my favorite runs ever.

Plus, if we're defining this era up to 1992, he brought the IC Title into the main event seen and sold out Wembley Arena, which when you take out the bogus Wrestlemania 3 attendance rate is the second highest gate ever I believe.

As much of a supporter of Brets in this era that I am, Ill have to say it was DBS that sold tickets to that event. Either way, Bret changed wrestling that night and put on the greatest match of all time.

Honestly I think it was a combination of the two. They told a great story leading up to it and Bret was as over as Bulldog over here. Obviously the hometown fans wanted to see Bulldog win the title on the night but I'd give a 50/50 split in credit for that gate

Bret was unbelievably over but like you said it was Bulldogs hometown. Bret definitly had his supporters, but Bulldog in his home country was unparalleled at that time. Either way, I still give Bret the credit for that match and credit for really stepping up in the WWFs transistion away from Hogan.

I didn't put Andre The Giant or Roddy Piper in my poll for a few reasons. First, I think they're a step above the rest of the guys on the list. Second, I think they're better remembered as heels during this time (epecially Andre). Last, when they were faces they didn't wrestle a consistent full time schedule. Injuries and other commitments kept Andre off tv for some of 1986 and his heel turn took place early in 1987. He turned face again in 1990 but never actually wrestled as a face after his turn. Piper bounced between the ring and the announce table pretty regularly. He had some good feuds and maybe should have made it on my poll but his inconsistency kept him off.

Piper turned face in 1986 and remained face for the rest of his WWF career.

I would argue that he should be left off the list because he wasn't a midcarder. Yes he held the IC title for a time, but Piper was consistently involved in main event programs when he was around.

Midcarder doesn't mean "anyone not fighting for the world title."

I think it's between JYD and Tito. Steamboat misses the cut because he wasn't a WWF wrestler with big pushes for any real length of time.

For this time period its tuff. JYD and Hacksaw were over but niether was taken that seriously as a competitor. Steamboat was way over, main event level over by 87, then he left and his significant impact afterwards was in NWA. Piper was popular but he "retired" right after his face turn and was mostly a commentator, a non wrestling figure. Between WM3 and leaving the broadcast booth to wrestle Flair in 91 what did he do in the ring ? Beefcake was terribly weak as a performer but he was very popular for a larger amount of time in this period actively wrestling than anyone else. Santana also was consistent through most of this time. Jake was over with fans but I dont think the hysteria from the kids was there for him like it was for Beefcake or Steamboat. Andre was a legit top tier star the entire time he actively wrestled.

My vote is either Duggan or Beefcake

I went with Tito, based on the fact that he was the most consistent and reliable mid card face at the time. The Golden era, as I see it, was in the midst of Hulkamania. Of course Hogan owned the role in the main event. Tito was a face throughout his career with the WWF. Bret spent a good portion of this time as a heel with the Hart Foundation. It wasn't until the later stages of the Golden Era that the team became a face team. Steamboat was hugely over, but he really wasn't around long enough. Same with Jake the Snake. He was much more effective as a heel anyway. Duggan was over, but he was never really championship material. Anyhow, Tito had a great run with tag team gold as a member of Strike Force and also a solid run with the IC championship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back