The Technology Troubleshooting Thread

This is probably gonna be a really dumb question but I really have no experience with Amazin other than purchasing books. 2 months ago my PS3 of 7 years finally kicked the bucket. Now I was looking on Amazon to purchase a new one but the prices I'm looking at are in dollars. This is probably because its in the .com URL. Either way if I order one online how will I know if I'm getting a PAL one or another region one?

Use the UK Amazon site? http://www.amazon.co.uk

And here's a search for PS3:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...search-alias=aps&field-keywords=playstation+3

If you order from their UK site and they send you a NTSC console, I'd be very surprised.

Photoshop keeps closing up on me abruptly when working on it. Not to mention there are occasions when searching on my folders for pictures, it crashes along with Windows Explorer. I at one point uninstalled CS6 and went with CS3 but the problem still persists.

Photoshop keeps closing up on me abruptly when working on it. Not to mention there are occasions when searching on my folders for pictures, it crashes along with Windows Explorer. I at one point uninstalled CS6 and went with CS3 but the problem still persists.
That is extremely strange. Do you have any other programs which abruptly close or is it just Adobe?

Firefox was doing it too. I defragmented the hard drive and cleaned up unnecessary files and so far everything is fine. But it's not the first time that happens.

Firefox was doing it too. I defragmented the hard drive and cleaned up unnecessary files and so far everything is fine. But it's not the first time that happens.
If it happens to other programs, it could be a wide range of problems. As always, first make sure you're anti-malware software is up to date and your system is clean. The next thing I'd try is defragging hard drive (which you did). If that still didn't fix the problem, make sure you have free hard drive space (a full hard drive could cause problems). Finally (without looking at it personally), I'd run a memory test, and make sure your RAM isn't going bad.

I had a few downloads on u-torrent; the download was incomplete in one of them. It was a movie file; so as we know, the movie file/torrent consists of the main movie, a preview, subtitles, a .txt note crediting the website etc. One fine day, I woke up, and all the files are gone! By gone, I mean they are in the hard disk, but u-torrent's download list is empty and looks like this Now I'm not worried about the ones where downloads were complete; I'm worried about that movie which was at 80% and I have no idea how to add it back :(
Do I have to search web pages for that very .torrent file an enqueue it back on u-torrent, or is there any way I can re-add the .avi file and its associate files back on u-torrent directly? Please Help!
Btw, u-torrent forums is the worst software help/community forum I've seen in my life. The people there say "Uninstall u-torrent and then reinstall it" to almost all the user queries. Its like another way of saying "I don't know".

I had a few downloads on u-torrent; the download was incomplete in one of them. It was a movie file; so as we know, the movie file/torrent consists of the main movie, a preview, subtitles, a .txt note crediting the website etc. One fine day, I woke up, and all the files are gone! By gone, I mean they are in the hard disk, but u-torrent's download list is empty and looks like this Now I'm not worried about the ones where downloads were complete; I'm worried about that movie which was at 80% and I have no idea how to add it back :(
Do I have to search web pages for that very .torrent file an enqueue it back on u-torrent, or is there any way I can re-add the .avi file and its associate files back on u-torrent directly? Please Help!
Btw, u-torrent forums is the worst software help/community forum I've seen in my life. The people there say "Uninstall u-torrent and then reinstall it" to almost all the user queries. Its like another way of saying "I don't know".

If you download the same torrent file (using your browser history might help? Or it could simply be in your downloads or temp files.) the programme has a system where it re-checks the file to see what's already there. Near the .avi or whatever would be a file that tells your UTorrent whats already there etc. There is also a "Force Re-Check" option if you right click the torrent in the UTorrent browser. Hope that helps some!

If you download the same torrent file (using your browser history might help? Or it could simply be in your downloads or temp files.) the programme has a system where it re-checks the file to see what's already there. Near the .avi or whatever would be a file that tells your UTorrent whats already there etc. There is also a "Force Re-Check" option if you right click the torrent in the UTorrent browser. Hope that helps some!

I spent about half an hour searching for that particular .torrent file on the net, abut couldn't find it anywhere. Then I decided to do a search of the PC for it (even though I was certain it won't be there), and luckily the search found it in the 'application data' of u-torrent. Double-clicking it brought it back on the download list :) Thanks for the help.

I've been using the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 on my Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop for a couple of years now, and it's worked fine. But recently I've had a few troubles with it, and despite my best efforts to try to find the problem or even a decent enough troubleshooting guide, I have failed to no avail.

I'm using Windows 7. The 3500 mouse comes with a very small usb chip that plugs into the computer, and it takes a single battery. When it turns on you can see a blue light at the bottom, as well as a small green light at the top. Just a week ago the mouse started working, and I assumed the battery had died. I had some old batteries that I tried putting in, but they did not work. I figured it was because they were old, but after purchasing a new pack of Double As and putting one into the mouse, it still does not work. It keeps doing the same thing, the green light shows up at the top and the blue light is on at the bottom, but after five seconds the green light goes dark.

I've checked my device settings and the wireless mouse isn't even being recognized by my computer. I'm most definitely sure that there problems traces back to the USB drive or port, as the blue light on the bottom of the mouse still works while the battery is in and the mouse is on.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how I can solve this without having to buy a new mouse? I'm not a big fan of the touchpad, but I can settle with it. Sooner or later though I'm probably just going to have to fork over $30 bucks for a new wireless mouse.

Are there any ad blocking programs for Androids? This site is fucking impossible to use with the constant Verizon ads. Also, any time I open a thread that has a Youtube video embedded, my phone opens up my utorrent app. Any idea why that happens?

I've been using the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 on my Toshiba Satellite C655 laptop for a couple of years now, and it's worked fine. But recently I've had a few troubles with it, and despite my best efforts to try to find the problem or even a decent enough troubleshooting guide, I have failed to no avail.

I'm using Windows 7. The 3500 mouse comes with a very small usb chip that plugs into the computer, and it takes a single battery. When it turns on you can see a blue light at the bottom, as well as a small green light at the top. Just a week ago the mouse started working, and I assumed the battery had died. I had some old batteries that I tried putting in, but they did not work. I figured it was because they were old, but after purchasing a new pack of Double As and putting one into the mouse, it still does not work. It keeps doing the same thing, the green light shows up at the top and the blue light is on at the bottom, but after five seconds the green light goes dark.

I've checked my device settings and the wireless mouse isn't even being recognized by my computer. I'm most definitely sure that there problems traces back to the USB drive or port, as the blue light on the bottom of the mouse still works while the battery is in and the mouse is on.

Does anyone have any knowledge on how I can solve this without having to buy a new mouse? I'm not a big fan of the touchpad, but I can settle with it. Sooner or later though I'm probably just going to have to fork over $30 bucks for a new wireless mouse.
Before you buy one, try your mouse in a different computer. It likely is your mouse going bad, but exhaust all possibilities if you're really wanting to avoid buying a new one.

Are there any ad blocking programs for Androids? This site is fucking impossible to use with the constant Verizon ads.
I believe Adblock Plus for Firefox works on Android.

Also, any time I open a thread that has a Youtube video embedded, my phone opens up my utorrent app. Any idea why that happens?
Sounds like you set it as default on your device. Here's some information on how to check it out:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-change-default-apps-in-android

Dell Inspiron N5030, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

So my brother had a download popup message every time he used his web browsers and he accidentally clicked on it (he has no idea what could have caused it to appear/what it was). Ever since his computer has been extremely slow (around 25 minute boot time, web browsers take awhile to open, etc). I have run multiple anti-malware and antivirus stuff as I have an okay knowledge how to use a lot of those types of programs and have seen only minimal improvement.

I have removed a lot of PUPs (mostly toolbar related) and a few PUMs. Have found no viruses so far.

The only thing I haven't been able to remove is a folder called boost_interprocess located in C:\Program Data\boost_interprocess

I am at my wits end as I have exhausted every program I know how to use.

Programs I used

ESET Scanner - Removed 3 items

Adwcleaner - Removed a lot of items

Malwarebytes - Removed a lot of items

Hitman Pro - Removed 133 items (mostly of something called Rocketfuel)

Junkware Removal Tool - Removed 1 item

Something else I can't remember removed 7 PUMs

MSE - Found no viruses on two scans

Any other programs you can suggest?

Found an error message reporting that SATA Port 0 is at risk. What is that and can that slow down the computer tremendously?

Dell Inspiron N5030, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

So my brother had a download popup message every time he used his web browsers and he accidentally clicked on it (he has no idea what could have caused it to appear/what it was). Ever since his computer has been extremely slow (around 25 minute boot time, web browsers take awhile to open, etc). I have run multiple anti-malware and antivirus stuff as I have an okay knowledge how to use a lot of those types of programs and have seen only minimal improvement.

I have removed a lot of PUPs (mostly toolbar related) and a few PUMs. Have found no viruses so far.

The only thing I haven't been able to remove is a folder called boost_interprocess located in C:\Program Data\boost_interprocess

I am at my wits end as I have exhausted every program I know how to use.

Programs I used

ESET Scanner - Removed 3 items

Adwcleaner - Removed a lot of items

Malwarebytes - Removed a lot of items

Hitman Pro - Removed 133 items (mostly of something called Rocketfuel)

Junkware Removal Tool - Removed 1 item

Something else I can't remember removed 7 PUMs

MSE - Found no viruses on two scans

Any other programs you can suggest?

Found an error message reporting that SATA Port 0 is at risk. What is that and can that slow down the computer tremendously?
When you keep running virus scans are you still finding problems?

If no:

Run a Disk Defrag on your C: drive and see if that speeds up the computer greatly. All of those files being written and deleted could really scatter data across your hard disk, slowing the computer down greatly.

If yes: Follow these instructions.

1) Download Trinity Rescue Kit

2. Download and install ImgBurn

3. Use ImgBurn to burn the Trinity Rescue Kit .iso file to a CD (when opening ImgBurn, choose the option "burn image to disc".

4. Put the new Trinity Rescue Kit CD into your brother computer and restart computer.

5. Go into BIOS and change your Boot Order to having the CD-Rom boot before your hard drive. Save BIOS settings and exit BIOS.

6. Run Avast Virus Scan in Trinity Rescue Kit. Clean errors.

It might help if you can put an Ethernet cable into the computer before booting TRK.

When you keep running virus scans are you still finding problems?

If no:

Run a Disk Defrag on your C: drive and see if that speeds up the computer greatly. All of those files being written and deleted could really scatter data across your hard disk, slowing the computer down greatly.

If yes: Follow these instructions.

1) Download Trinity Rescue Kit

2. Download and install ImgBurn

3. Use ImgBurn to burn the Trinity Rescue Kit .iso file to a CD (when opening ImgBurn, choose the option "burn image to disc".

4. Put the new Trinity Rescue Kit CD into your brother computer and restart computer.

5. Go into BIOS and change your Boot Order to having the CD-Rom boot before your hard drive. Save BIOS settings and exit BIOS.

6. Run Avast Virus Scan in Trinity Rescue Kit. Clean errors.

It might help if you can put an Ethernet cable into the computer before booting TRK.

It was 4% fragmented. Ran it, no improvements.

No viruses detected on three scans since this started.

It was 4% fragmented. Ran it, no improvements.

No viruses detected on three scans since this started.
Have you run a virus scan in Safe Mode? You might try running the virus scan in Trinity Rescue Kit anyways...sometimes malware can hide itself during the boot process. Using Trinity Rescue Kit, it won't be able to run.

I forgot about this. I found out it has a hardware problem and not a virus problem. Thanks for your help though

Are there any ad blocking programs for Androids? This site is fucking impossible to use with the constant Verizon ads. Also, any time I open a thread that has a Youtube video embedded, my phone opens up my utorrent app. Any idea why that happens?

The guys who made AdBock Plus for Firefox and Chrome have made one for Android. Soon as I found it I downloaded it and installed it. Works like a charm.

So, I got a new charger today for my HP Pavilion. I used it for a few hours without any problems. But over the last couple of hours, my laptop has started giving me pretty significant electrical shocks when I touch the sides and certain keys.

Is this a problem with the charger and its grounding? Or is it possible that it's a problem with the laptop itself?

Typing with rubber gloves on is tricky...

EDIT: Just to clarify, I've never gotten a shock from my laptop before today. I've had it for two years and I've used 3 different chargers over those years, and I've never had this problem. And it's not HP brand charger.

So, I got a new charger today for my HP Pavilion. I used it for a few hours without any problems. But over the last couple of hours, my laptop has started giving me pretty significant electrical shocks when I touch the sides and certain keys.

Is this a problem with the charger and its grounding? Or is it possible that it's a problem with the laptop itself?

Typing with rubber gloves on is tricky...

EDIT: Just to clarify, I've never gotten a shock from my laptop before today. I've had it for two years and I've used 3 different chargers over those years, and I've never had this problem. And it's not HP brand charger.
Do you still get the shocks when you unplug your laptop from the charger?

Do you still get the shocks when you unplug your laptop from the charger?

No. The same process happened again today. I had it plugged in for a few hours, it was fine. But I eventually started getting shocks again. It seems to be that if it's plugged in for too long, it starts shocking me.

But again, I'm not entirely sure if it's a problem with the charger or the laptop. I know laptops can get damaged when they spend too much time plugged in.

No. The same process happened again today. I had it plugged in for a few hours, it was fine. But I eventually started getting shocks again. It seems to be that if it's plugged in for too long, it starts shocking me.

But again, I'm not entirely sure if it's a problem with the charger or the laptop. I know laptops can get damaged when they spend too much time plugged in.
I've never been shocked by a laptop that's been plugged in. And if it's not happening when it's not plugged in, and it didn't happen with your old charger, I think you know where the problem lies.

I have an issue with random web pages loading correctly. Mostly on two specific pages, but once in a while it will happen on others albeit less frequently. The pages will load white screen, text only, all left aligned. It happens in the incognito window as well as alternate browsers (chrome & explorer). I have tried deleting all cache\cookies, running CC Cleaner & even deleted Chrome & re-installed. Still having the issue. Not sure what else to do or what would cause the issue.

Any ideas on how to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back