The Reality Era thus far

CM Steel

A REAL American
Remember that in-ring interview on RAW a few months ago between Triple H and Michael Cole in where Triple H proclaimed this the "Reality Era" in the WWE. Triple H being one of the people who was there at the beginng of the infamous attitude era back in the day knows all about times changing in wrestling. The WWE has acts like John Cena, Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, CM Punk (cancel that), the Wyatt Family, AJ Lee, the Uso's, and the Shield who recently broke up after Seth Rollins joined Triple H & Stephanie's camp.

The tide is changing in the WWE right now. Daniel Bryan is on the injury list right now, John Cena is the WWE champion (again), Roman Reigns is getting a mega push to the moon, and Seth Rollins is a main eventer waiting to happen due to him winning Money in the Bank. Where is WWE wrestling at with this reality era and where is it going? And what could the reality era be and could it be the best era in WWE history?

To be honest they can call it whatever they want but for them right now to be successful and it be the best era in WWE history they're going to need a new creative direction, new ideas in presentation, coherent writing, 1 or 2 new megastars with 3-4 more at that main event level and clear change in the currently over bureaucratic culture behind the scenes.

Some really big changes needed for WWE to even come close to what they had in Golden Era & the Attitude Era. Could most likely see more of HHH's vision of his WWE once Vince retires. You can see some of it in NXT, which is good but i hope HHH has more than just gimmick characters returning (fandango, adam rose, tyler breeze etc). I do applaud HHH for wanting more different types of characters such as Wyatts but whats now needed is a really good creative team.

There is no Reality Era. If anything this is the Network Era or Volatile WWE Stock Price Era. Maybe it is the Shaky Camerawork Era. How about the Authority Era? Consumption Era? Overexposure Era?

All I know recent WWE history is that it has been pretty enjoyable as long as I am watching Raw on DVR. It enables me the ability to not get caught up sitting through the stuff I don't enjoy. The in ring work is stellar. No period of time in WWE has been better. The creative stuff is hit and miss or seems completely non existent. But again that is where the DVR comes in. I can sit and enjoy The Authority until it feels like they are just killing time for more "Reality" heat or "Promo Resthold" heat and just fast forward until they are going to make an announcement.

So I guess this is the DVR Era and it has been very good.

To be honest they can call it whatever they want but for them right now to be successful and it be the best era in WWE history they're going to need a new creative direction, new ideas in presentation, coherent writing, 1 or 2 new megastars with 3-4 more at that main event level and clear change in the currently over bureaucratic culture behind the scenes.

If I'm not mistaken, I think it was actually internet jargon that came up with the "Reality Era" moniker and the few times I've heard Triple H actually say it on television, it was said in that mockingly condescending tone.

As far as a new creative direction goes, there's only so far that pro wrestling can go. You're not going to see WWE trying to go in a direction similar to the Attitude Era in terms of edgier storylines and controversial angles. Look at the backlash over Swagger & Colter when they started out, Punk & Heyman "mocking" Jerry Lawler's heart attack and Punk & Heyman "disrespecting" Paul Bearer's memory. To be perfectly honest, I'm surprised that people haven't gone off the rails on WWE due to some of Bray Wyatt's comments in which he refers to himself as "a god." WWE definitely couldn't get away with having wrestlers moon the audience/encouraging hot chicks in attendance to flash them, portraying some sort of fictional "satanic ritual" like we saw with the Ministry of Darkness, or holding a gun to someone's head and threatening to pull the trigger that results in Vince pissing his pants like we saw with Austin back in the day. With all the various shooting rampages over the past few years especially and the renewed debates over gun control, everyone from media to politicians would be so far up Vince McMahon's ass that you wouldn't be able to tell where he ended and they began.

Sometimes, there's a definite lack of coherency in what we see and, while I can't say this for 100% certainty, I think a lot of that has to do with Vince McMahon. Reports over the years have stated that Vince sometimes changes his mind on things right in the middle of an angle. It's reportedly caused a good deal of friction the past few years with talent because some wrestlers will get their instructions on what's going on from Triple H only for Vince to come along a few hours or few days later and tell them something completely different without Triple H knowing about it. Again, these are just reports from the dirtsheets so there's no way to know exactly how much of it's true and how much is crap. One thing you see in NXT is a lot more consistency in terms of keeping everything in line with what's been going on in previous weeks. It's a difference in Triple H and Vince as Trips doesn't change his mind half a dozen times over.

I also agree that WWE needs to tone down on the bureaucratic stuff backstage. This morning, the WON reported that WWE has reinstated fining wrestlers if they violate the dress code and fines if they're even one minute late in arriving at the venue when final call comes, which is generally around 2or 3 p.m. In all honesty, I get the feeling these fines have to do with attempts at budget cuts as the company wants to cut $20 million this year.

Some really big changes needed for WWE to even come close to what they had in Golden Era & the Attitude Era. Could most likely see more of HHH's vision of his WWE once Vince retires. You can see some of it in NXT, which is good but i hope HHH has more than just gimmick characters returning (fandango, adam rose, tyler breeze etc). I do applaud HHH for wanting more different types of characters such as Wyatts but whats now needed is a really good creative team.

I kinda have to disagree in some ways because the so called Golden Era & Attitude Era both had their own drawbacks. When I was wrestling on TV, whether it be Mid-Atlantic/WCW or WWF, compared with today, I thought a lot of the wrestling content sucked. Most of the televised matches, not all but most, would consist of the stars paired up in some 5 minute squash match against an unknown jobber.

There were also angles that went on back then that are very much in line with some stuff we've seen in WWE. Back in 1987, Ric Flair had a feud over the NWA WHC with "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin. They had some memorable matches and one in particular, set in a steel cage, had the stipulation that if Flair won, then Jimmy's valet Precious had to spend the night with him. Flair won and they had this segment filmed in Ric Flair's hotel room with J.J. Dillon in which Flair was setting things up for his big night. He was in a robe, flowers, candles lit, champagne, etc. J.J. asked if he could hide in the closet to watch, which Flair had no problem agreeing to it. Soon after, a blonde woman came into Flair's room and kept her face turned from the camera, behaving shyly and obviously reluctant to be there. Flair came up behind her and started rubbing her shoulders and asked for a kiss. What happened was the woman, who went by the name of Miss Atlanta Lively, nailed Ric Flair with a devastating right cross, knocking him out while he was in his Fruit of the Looms. This was actually Ron Garvin in drag. There was a lot of silliness and joking in the segment, I loved it as a kid. It's considered a classic skit today, but if WWE did the exact same thing today, dirtsheet writers and smarks would crap all over it.

There was also a lot of crap that went on during the Attitude Era as well. For every moment of Austin or Rock greatness, you had guys like Kai En Tai running around, Val Venis, Steve Blackman, Al Show with "Head", Harvey Whippleman dressing in drag as "Harvina" Whippleman winning the Women's Championship, Kai En Tai tying up Val Venis and "cutting off" his penis with a katana, Katie Vick, Kane's "girlfriend" Tori saying that X-Pac "raped", the Godfather and his "Hos", etc.

I know people look back with nostalgia on the 80s & 90s but, in the vast majority of cases, I think they remember things being a whole lot better overall than they really were.

As far as a new creative direction goes, there's only so far that pro wrestling can go. You're not going to see WWE trying to go in a direction similar to the Attitude Era in terms of edgier storylines and controversial angles.

Yep thats true but i was thinking more on the lines of trying something new, so not necessarily edgy in the way of satanic rituals, hand babys and people getting their dick chopped off but trying to go after the 18-34 market in a different way. Of course though ive always had the belief that the creative in pro wrestling should reflect what American Society is going through at the moment, sad thing is America is in an overly-politically correct society so maybe so the crazy sort of stuff that occurred during the attitude era will not work. Tough thing is finding what will work. Whatever it is, it would have to be different, different enough to pull in a mass audience.

I kinda have to disagree in some ways because the so called Golden Era & Attitude Era both had their own drawbacks

I know people look back with nostalgia on the 80s & 90s but, in the vast majority of cases, I think they remember things being a whole lot better overall than they really were.

With the Golden Era though i was talking more about the success WWE had. But i would have to disagree with you in the Attitude era in regards to stuff like the Val Venis choppy pee pee etc. I felt the good definitely outweighed the bad. These sort of cringe worthy moments actually happen in every era, its just that in the attitude era they were heightened because of it being more adult oriented. Back then it was Mae Young giving birth to a hand these days its every time Miz has a Celebrity segment. The good from the attitude era was things like the clear direction in writing, feuds and stories for not only the main event but for the mid card, low card, tag teams and womens division, change in presentation with exciting new camera angles, commentary, entrance music especially being of exceptional quality.

To be quite honest, WWE requires new ideas and new people across the board. That includes letting people go like Jerry lawler, Michael Cole, Kevin Dunn, Michael Hayes and Vince McMahon. Alot of these guys have tired ideas and seemingly dont care anymore or have lost what they use to have. But the more bureaucratic WWE has gotten recently the more likelihood of little change if any at all happening especially with their recent stock losses which would make a company consolidate and be even more conservative than what they were. The company does require a complete overhaul in the way they run, kind of like what Apple went through in the late 90s-early 00's.

Raw has been pretty solid as of late.
The "new" acts we're seeing lately have been interesting minus Adam Rose.

The roster has actually been pretty decent and it seems like they're continuously building it even better.
The tag division is horrible but not because of the teams involved. It's just the lack of teams.

The main event scene is a little rough right now but they're working on that.

There's probably more about the company I like right now than stuff I dislike and in this era that hasn't always been the case.

I don't have anything to add other than the fact that CM punk came up with the term "reality era" in 2011 in an interview on the Bill Simmons BS Report. I thought HHH using that term was just to be snide. The same way he and Batista mocked this generation of wrestlers and the way they act, I figured he was mocking their terminology.

I believe the main reason why Triple-H rechristened this "The Reality Era" is because this is the start of him taking control of more and more things, from talent recruitment to a lot more. And this certainly doesn't feel like the stagnant, repulsive PG era; this feels different, with all the new stars and improvement in quality of the shows compared to a few years ago. So why not start a new era?

Now, thanks to this, we can also differentiate the characteristic features of the era's better:
PG Era:
Number of years- more than 6
Number of main event stars made/redeveloped- 2 (Orton and Punk)
Features- Childish, boring, poor jokes, repetitive, stagnant, painful to watch etc.
Reality Era
Number of years- less than 2 so far
Number of main event stars made- 6 (Bryan, Reigns, Wyatt, Cesaro, Rollins, Ambrose)
Features- Fresh, young, redeeming, talented wrestlers, less Cena, interesting to watch, firing the useless etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back