The Leftovers

George Steele's Barber

Advertise Here $9.95/month
Odds are that if you ever started watching this show you have probably quit watching it or killed yourself from the pure agony of watching it....

But for those survivors or leftovers (if you exist) SPOILERISH ALERT

there was a pretty big payoff last night. Tommy finds the girls but doesn't seem to know what to make of them. The point to the audience though is that the big story from early in the season actually had a payoff and tied in kind of nicely.

This show overall has drawn back in hard. I had heard Damon Lindelof was working with HBO and knew the overall premise of the show when it started. I was a huge Lost fan and felt like Lindelof was kind of the creative genius behind the best aspects of the show while Cuse was the guy that kept the network happy and Abrams was just around to make the suggestion to "have stuff that the viewer and characters know are there but don't get to see unless they stick around".

Anyway, I don't have HBO but my family and I were stuck in a Residence Inn for a few nights while our floors were being done. One night my wife had the kids at a friend's house so I had the miserable motel to myself. I watched the first two episodes. Well, I watched the first episode and most of the second but found myself too bored, depressed, disappointed to finish the second episode. So that was the end of that.

But I couldn't get away from it. After not being able to watch without HBO and not caring enough to stream or find a neighbor to watch it with me I started reading the episode summaries and other Wiki information to find out what was going on.

This past April I finally got HBO to watch GoT but still avoided Leftovers. Then after GoT ended I found myself binge watching Leftovers on the train like my life depended on it.

And I get little enjoyment from it. It is like pro wrestling but where I actually have to pay attention. It's miserable but I can't quit it. Good things rarely happen and when they do it is barely celebrated or seems to come from something bad.

The main character (best known for being Jennifer Aniston's husband and writing the screenplay to Rock of Ages) is a macho idiot. He is one of the most flawed heroes in tv history. He is the king of facial expressions.

His girlfriend is the most handsome woman I have ever seen but can be so damn sexy and looks great naked (assuming that is not a body double). She delivers some fantastic lines, "I hire prostitutes to shoot me." She is tough as hell but breaks down like she just found out her while family disappeared (oh wait).

Jennifer Aniston's husband's daughter is annoying just like a teenager should be. She looks like a young Robin from How I Met Your Mother if Robin had random lip injections from psychotic plastic surgeon strip club owner.

Young Robin's mom is played by a much older and weathered Judging Amy. She's pretty good too.

Her son annoys me but between the rape scene, the Holy Wayne revelation scene, and now funding the girls her had been a part of the three best payoffs that the show has offered.

Patti is fucking amazing. So good that I actually remember her name. It took a while for her to get there but she has delivered ever since she got kidnapped. I'm kind pissed that her Kenobi role is kind of over.

Liv Tyler has been really good. It sucks as a man to see such an attractive woman go down the path she has taken but she does it so well. Her background story last night was well told and very Lostesq.

I'll never forget Holy Wayne's love of young Asian women and slobbering problem.

The Rev annoys me but I think that is the point. His episode the season was terrific and it was good to see him not roll over and people gullible Matt as much last night.

The actress who plays Mary needs to work on facial expressions. That was a joke.

The new family is interesting too. The dad is really good except when he does anything physical I can't take him seriously. He is kind of feminine when he acts angry. He throws like what I would describe and not manly without being sexist.

But the characters are nothing compared to the overall story telling. Like I think I said earlier, the show is long, slow, sad depressing, dragged out, confusing, and fails to deliver answers in a straight forward way. I find myself making my own judgments some of the time. I hate it but I crave it every Sunday night. I can't stop watching. I have to laugh at the show and myself to keep me sane.

But whatever, there is little on TV that I watch that makes me think. Leftovers is an exception.

Anyone else watch the train wreck? Did any of my comments touch a nerve? Anyone willing to give it a binge?

Didn't read anything past the first two sentences because of spoilers, I watched the first season and really, really enjoyed it (that scene with the fleshy replica dummies of everyone's dead loved ones showing up in their houses might be one of the most legitimately horrifying things I've ever seen in my entire fucking life). I haven't started season two yet, is it as good?

Didn't read anything past the first two sentences because of spoilers, I watched the first season and really, really enjoyed it (that scene with the fleshy replica dummies of everyone's dead loved ones showing up in their houses might be one of the most legitimately horrifying things I've ever seen in my entire fucking life). I haven't started season two yet, is it as good?

Holy crap, a response.

Season two is not over yet. I would say it is better than season one but can still drag and is definitely depressing and feels too confusing. They went with more character centric episodes this season which I like but it makes me miss the others. They took a big risk with changes in season two and it paid off.

If you liked season one you should definitely check out season two.

Thanks for responding, I feel like the only person watching this show, unlike GoT.

I was thinking this thread was about food left over from Thanksgiving, because I finished most of what was left over this weekend, but I don't know anything about this show, so... yeah

I thought this thread was going to be about Thanksgiving leftovers.

Edit: lol just saw the post above me.

Holy crap, a response.

Season two is not over yet. I would say it is better than season one but can still drag and is definitely depressing and feels too confusing. They went with more character centric episodes this season which I like but it makes me miss the others. They took a big risk with changes in season two and it paid off.

If you liked season one you should definitely check out season two.

Thanks for responding, I feel like the only person watching this show, unlike GoT.

Yeah I plan on checking it out once I get around to it, there's a handful of shows I was following when I still had cable but I haven't had it in a few months so all of my current TV show viewing is done via the internet, making it a bit more of a hassle to binge watch. It's absolutely on my list though. I'm very interested in reading the book too.

And that theme song, ugh, painfully gorgeous. Had it on the iPod when the show first started and it hasn't left since. Might honestly be one of the best theme songs ever written for a television show. Evokes so much emotion.

I dont know if I can start another new series. I still have an open wound from Dexter that may never heal. I put my stance aside for both seasons of True Detective & well, Ash vs Evil Dead doesnt really count as new. Just been finishing a few that I started and lost time with, like Fringe.

Is this show worth it or will it just break my heart again? Give me a synopsis.

I watched the first season, never started the second. The first had its ups and downs, and the trailer for season 2 intrigued me, it's just with Fargo, Homeland, Supernatural, South Park, all the wrestling and football, The Leftovers got put on the backburner. I'll check out season 2 sometime this winter I'm sure though.

People really need to be watching Fargo, btw. It's Breaking Bad and True Detective (season 1) level brilliant.

And that theme song, ugh, painfully gorgeous. Had it on the iPod when the show first started and it hasn't left since. Might honestly be one of the best theme songs ever written for a television show. Evokes so much emotion.

Um, uh, maybe you should just not watch season two. There is a new song. I really like it and it sets a new tone for the season but it is very different.

I dont know if I can start another new series. I still have an open wound from Dexter that may never heal. I put my stance aside for both seasons of True Detective & well, Ash vs Evil Dead doesnt really count as new. Just been finishing a few that I started and lost time with, like Fringe.

Is this show worth it or will it just break my heart again? Give me a synopsis.

Basically you see what happens to society when two percent of the world's population just disappears mostly through the insanity of one town.

It will disappoint, bore, frighten, and excite you. The show is painful at times but to me has great moments, and some really creative stories and story telling.

Fuck, forgot about Fargo. I guess I havent stuck to my own rule very well. That show is pretty damn good though. Like this season a bit more than the last.

Ill give this one a go, but it wont be till I get some time to watch a few episodes in a row & decide if its worth staying on for the whole thing.

I just finished the season 2 finale.

Part of me thinks that could have been the perfect ending, but there's another part that is relieved it's getting a third season and a notice that it will be the final season.

Really enjoyed season 2 overall though, more than I did season 1.

I thought this was going to be about a supergroup of band members that got together from bands where the popular person/people left or died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back