The History of the Wrestlezone Tournament

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
If you would like, you can participate in the Mock Tournament/ WZ NIT in the Spam zone. It's a more relaxed format featuring 32 wrestlers that didn't make the original tournament. That way for our newer posters, you can learn a basic idea of how we do our tournaments.

Also, I found the link to last years brackets, so a refresher for some of our newer posters.

Wrestlezone Tournament I
The Entire First Wrestlezone Tournament

Wrestlezone Tournament II
WWE Region

WCW Region

ECW Region

TNA Region

Look at what happened last year in ECW, Steve Corino beat a legend in Genichiro Tenryu, he beat the smark favourite in Matt Hardy he got to the third round to take on Edge. So take that into account when deciding on the Steve Corino Vs. Mike Awesome.

This has been updated to include the first annual Wrestlezone tournament in it as well. This thread will be used to disucss some of the past tournaments in comparison to what is to come.

That first Tournament was awesome with the X taking the reins of Terry Funks support and driving it all the way until the final of the WWE section where he took on The Undertaker. Though I do want to know if Draws in later rounds are classified as both going through? that meaning if we get something similar to what occurred in the first tournament with HBK, Stone Cold and Flair all in the final.

I've decided that triple threat matches are gimmicky in nature, so from this point on, the draws will result in triple threat matches. Everything from this point on is either a gimmick match, and then it gets to the final 8, which I won't have someone go threw on a bye.

So what grounds am I voting on these matches?

Are the wrestlers in their prime or the last we saw them?

Is it a straight forward singles match and we have to assume that nobody is going to interfere? Can they cheat or do they have to wrestle cleanly? Do they get a valet? (Ala can Ric Flair have woman and Ms. Elizabeth distract the ref while he hits his opponent with a pair of brass knuckles) or do I have to pretend Flair is going to get through his matches on his own?

I got a question, how come Tatanka has never been featured in any of your tournaments? I'm not a huge fan of his or anything and I wouldn't see it as that big of a deal, if not for the fact that these tournaments have featured tons of wrestlers who weren't given half the push that Tatanka was given back in the day. I mean come on the dude went undefeated for two years. Is he just overlooked or what? Also just curious, how do you decide which wrestlers will be featured in these tournaments?

(sorry for all the questions. I'm not trying to be annoying, I'm just curious. :))

The first question is very much up to debate, with the first tournament we were told to combine the way that they are with the bodies being physically their prime and their mental prime. So it is a bit of a weird in that way.

As for Tatanka, he didn't rate on any of the lists from last year and this year, and in the first year it was to do with the fact that he didn't win any of the graded titles that were used to determine entry in the first one.

The first question is very much up to debate, with the first tournament we were told to combine the way that they are with the bodies being physically their prime and their mental prime. So it is a bit of a weird in that way.

As for Tatanka, he didn't rate on any of the lists from last year and this year, and in the first year it was to do with the fact that he didn't win any of the graded titles that were used to determine entry in the first one.
I just don't understand how he didn't rate over guys like Pete Gas and some of the other people who made it on these tournaments. BTW what were the graded titles and how exactly are these lists composed? What's the criteria that is considered when composing these lists?

I just don't understand how he didn't rate over guys like Pete Gas and some of the other people who made it on these tournaments.
2 year win streak or not Tatanka is pretty forgettable. Pete Gas while he was horrible people remember the Mean Street Posse.
BTW what were the graded titles and how exactly are these lists composed?
I may be wrong on this but I think all the staff and a few others make a list of the favorite 100 wrestlers in order from 1-100 The higher you place on people's list the more points a wrestler gets the higher seed they get.
Yeah, and how Vince Russo got in over Tatanka is pretty sad.
Same as above no matter how horrible Vince Russo was/is people remember him more than they remember Tatanka Plus Russo had something Tatanka never had a world title.

In closing you might want to stop complaining about Tatanka not being in it before people who worked very hard putting this together gets mad. Maybe he'll be in next year Who knows

The first year was done based on individual title reigns with the major organizations in the US. There ended up being somewhere around 200 champions. Unfortunately this included things like teh Hardcore titles of both WCW and the WWF, hence why you get tons of garbage guys in there. The first tournament was done, with that in mind to also remind us some of the poor decisions the business had made. Why you have Vince Russo, former WCW champion, eegads.

As far as the last few years, it's been determined by various members of the forums giving me a list of 100 wrestlers. So on a list, if Hogan is #1, Hogan is rewarded 100 points, and down from there. The points are added up, the top 256 get in, yadda yadda.

Guys like Tatanka received votes, simply not enough to get into this tournament. This year we had 25 of our forums best posters give us votes, and we didn't feel Tatanka deserved in based on the amount of votes he received. It just happens he's never made the cut.

And you are voting on wrestlers in their primes, which is about as subjective as it gets.

The first year was done based on individual title reigns with the major organizations in the US. There ended up being somewhere around 200 champions. Unfortunately this included things like teh Hardcore titles of both WCW and the WWF, hence why you get tons of garbage guys in there. The first tournament was done, with that in mind to also remind us some of the poor decisions the business had made. Why you have Vince Russo, former WCW champion, eegads.

As far as the last few years, it's been determined by various members of the forums giving me a list of 100 wrestlers. So on a list, if Hogan is #1, Hogan is rewarded 100 points, and down from there. The points are added up, the top 256 get in, yadda yadda.

Guys like Tatanka received votes, simply not enough to get into this tournament. This year we had 25 of our forums best posters give us votes, and we didn't feel Tatanka deserved in based on the amount of votes he received. It just happens he's never made the cut.

And you are voting on wrestlers in their primes, which is about as subjective as it gets.
I'm just curious as to what the criteria for these lists are. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or saying they're bad, I'm just wondering what the criteria is. Are these lists supposed to be composed of who these guys favorite wrestlers are or who they feel are the best or who the feel is the best kayfabe wise? What was the criteria that was used?

Pretty much it was just give me a list. We had 25 people participate in it this year, each person with their own criteria. Some people chose to be serious with it, others put Tom Zenk as their number one. A lot of the resasoning for some obscure people in it would be, just to get someone new in there and change the seedigns up a bit. The forum moderators are given automatic places in the listing, as that is a perk of the job. The rest are decided by the moderators as people that contribute over all.

But as for the actual list, some did favorites, some did best, it's completely subjective and random.

I did Ahmed Johnson. Wait, that came out wrong. Wait, no it didn't. Wait, I think it did. Who knows?

All I know is that looking back at Michaels and Undertaker as WrestleZone Tournament champions... they're pretty obvious choices. By no means do I want someone obscure, but someone less obvious would be nice.

The forum moderators are given automatic places in the listing, as that is a perk of the job.

Also 'cause the moderators can be counted on to turn lists in on time. If we opened it to everyone, we'd never get started.

Criteria for the lists is just like voting. Some base on kayfabe. Some base on drawing power / workrate. It varies.

I know me, Sly and possibly Jake had the great idea of trying to get people who'd never make the tournament otherwise into it. Sly was the best at it - I didn't have the balls to put The Underfaker at number one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back