The History of the Elimination Chamber

Krobra

Pre-Show Stalwart
The Elimination Chamber. Created by Eric Bischoff in 2002, the Elimination Chamber made its debut at Survivor Series, November 17th, 2002 at New York City. This match has six tons of steel, two miles of chain, and four pods that keep four of the six competitors while two start the match. Every three, four, or five minutes, a pod is opened and lets a WWE wrestler into the match. The match continues until all but one is left. You are eliminated when you are pinned or submitted. As of date, there has been eleven Elimination Chambers. Each has been brutal and lived up to its name as Satan's Playground. Here is a break down of each Elimination Chamber, the superstars that competed in the Elimination Chamber, and who survived them.

Elimination Chamber I

The Elimination Chamber made its debut at Survivor Series 2002. In this match, Shawn Michaels, Rob Van Dam, Chris Jericho, Booker T, Kane, and the World Heavyweight Champion Triple H competed for Triple H's prized World Heavyweight Championship. This match featured two feuds, one was between Chris Jericho and Booker T over the World Tag Team Championships, and the other was between Kane, Shawn Michaels, and Triple H. The match resulted in Shawn Michaels pinning Triple H for the final elimination and to become the World Heavyweight Champion.

Trivia:

The first Elimination Chamber was the longest, lasting 39:20.
The first Elimination Chamber that had a World Championship on the line
The first Elimination Chamber in which the World Heavyweight Championship switched hands.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: Rob Van Dam
2: Triple H
3: Chris Jericho
4: Booker T
5: Kane
6: Shawn Michaels

Order of Elimination:

Rob Van Dam by Booker T
Booker T by Chris Jericho
Kane by Chris Jericho
Chris Jericho by Shawn Michaels
Triple H by Shawn Michaels

Elimination Chamber II

The Elimination Chamber made its return in Summer Slam 2003. This match featured Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton, Kevin Nash, Goldberg, and Triple H. It was supposed to be Triple H vs. Goldberg in a singles match for the World Heavyweight Championship, but then Raw General Manager Stone Cold Steve Austin made this an Elimination Chamber Match, adding Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash, and Randy Orton.

Trivia:

The second Elimination Chamber was the shortest in history, only lasting 19:12.
The second Elimination Chamber was the first where the World Heavyweight Championship did not change hands.
Goldberg eliminated Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton, and Chris Jericho in a row.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: Chris Jericho
2: Shawn Michaels
3: Randy Orton
4: Kevin Nash
5: Triple H
6: Goldberg

Order of Elimination:

Kevin Nash by Chris Jericho
Randy Orton by Goldberg
Shawn Michaels by Goldberg
Chris Jericho by Goldberg
Goldberg by Triple H

Elimination Chamber III

The Elimination Chamber match made its return at New Years Revolution 2005. After the World Heavyweight Championship was vacated due to Triple H losing a Triple Threat match that saw Chris Benoit and Edge pinning and submitting at the same time. To crown a new World Heavyweight Champion, Eric Bischoff made the Elimination Chamber match to determine a new World Heavyweight Champion. Also, Eric Bischoff made the returning Shawn Michaels the special guest referee to call the match.

Trivia:

This was the first time a WWE wrestler refereed an Elimination Chamber match.
This was the first Elimination Chamber to determine the Champion of a vacant World Championship.
This match was won by Triple H, making this his second win and third time competing in an Elimination Chamber.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

2: Chris Benoit
3: Triple H
4: Edge
5: Randy Orton
6: Batista

Order of Elimination:

Edge by Chris Jericho
Chris Benoit by Batista
Chris Jericho by Batista
Batista by Randy Orton
Randy Orton by Triple H

Elimination Chamber IV

One year later, the Elimination Chamber made its return at New Year's Revolution. John Cena was still rolling after his win at Wrestlemania 21 on his first WWE Championship, defeating JBL, Chris Jericho, Christian, Kurt Angle, and others. Eric Bischoff then made the match for New Year's Revolution that involved Shawn Michaels, Carlito, Chris Masters, Kurt Angle, Kane, and the WWE Champion John Cena. After Cena retained the WWE Championship, Edge cashed in Money in the Bank and defeated John Cena for Edge's first WWE Championship.

Trivia:

The fourth Elimination Chamber featured the WWE Championship on the line instead of the World Heavyweight Championship.
Chris Jericho and Triple H were both absent in this match, and were a competitor in all the previous Elimination Chambers.
This was the first time the WWE Championship was retained.
This was the first Elimination Chamber that the Championship was retained by the one who started the match.
Even though John Cena won the match, John Cena did not leave as the WWE Champion.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: Shawn Michaels
2: John Cena
3: Carlito
4: Kurt Angle
5: Chris Masters
6: Kane

Order of Elimination:

Kurt Angle by Shawn Michaels
Kane by Carlito and Chris Masters (double pin)
Shawn Michaels by Carlito
Chris Masters by Carlito
Carlito by John Cena

Elimination Chamber V

Later that year, ECW featured the Elimination Chamber at their PPV, December to Dismember. This Elimination Chamber was dubbed “Extreme Elimination Chamber” and allowed weapons inside the sinister structure. Paul Heyman made the match after Rob Van Dam earned a shot at the ECW World Championship against the ECW World Champion, Big Show. Paul Heyman then made the match an Elimination Chamber, featuring RVD, CM Punk, Sabu, Bobby Lashley, Test, and Big Show. Before the match started, Sabu was replaced by Hardcore Holly.

Trivia:

The fifth Elimination Chamber match was the first not to be hosted as a Raw event.
This was the first Elimination Chamber that featured weapons.
This was the first time Shawn Michaels was not a competitor or referee in the match.
This was the first time the ECW Championship was the prize for winning the Elimination Chamber instead of the WWE Championship or World Heavyweight Championship.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: Harcore Holly
2: Rob Van Dam
3: CM Punk
4: Test
5: Bobby Lashley
6: Big Show

Order of Elimination:

CM Punk by Rob Van Dam
Hardcore Holly by Test
Rob Van Dam by Test
Test by Bobby Lashley
Big Show by Bobby Lashley

Elimination Chamber VI

Two years after the disastrous December to Dismember PPV, the Elimination made its return at No Way Out in 2007. However, this time there would be two Elimination Chambers in one night. The first Elimination Chamber of the night was the Smackdown-ECW Elimination Chamber match that featured Batista, MVP, Finley, Khali, Big Daddy V, and the Undertaker. The prize for this match was a shot at the World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania 24.

Trivia:

This was the first time the Elimination Chamber match would make an appearance twice in one night.
This was the first time that Smackdown wrestlers made an appearance in the Elimination Chamber.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: The Undertaker
2: Batista
3: Big Daddy V
4: Khali
5: Finlay
6: MVP

Order of Elimination:

Big Daddy V by Batista
Khali by Undertaker
MVP by Finlay
Finlay by Undertaker
Batista by Undertaker

Elimination Chamber VII

The next Elimination Chamber that night featured JBL, Umaga, Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Shawn Michaels, and Triple H. This marked the return of three wrestlers that competed in the first Elimination Chamber in 2002. This Elimination Chamber would mark as Triple H's Fourth Elimination Chamber, and his third win.

Trivia:

This is Triple H's third win. The win marked Triple H winning the World Heavyweight Championship, losing the World Heavyweight Championship, and winning a chance to face the WWE Champion for the WWE Championship.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

2: Shawn Michaels
3: Umaga
4: JBL
6: Jeff Hardy

Order of Elimination:

JBL by Chris Jericho
Umaga by Chris Jericho
Chris Jericho by Jeff Hardy
Shawn Michaels by Triple H
Jeff Hardy by Triple H

Elimination Chamber VIII

One year passed and No Way Out once again hosted two Elimination Chambers. The Smackdown Elimination Chamber opened No Way Out and featured Jeff Hardy, Triple H, Big Show, Koslov, Undertaker, and WWE Champion Edge. The match resulted in Triple H winning the WWE Championship.

Trivia:

This Elimination Chamber was the first time where the WWE Champion was eliminated first. Also, the first time someone was eliminated before the first person was released from a pod.
As a result, this was the first time we were guarenteed a new World Champion.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: Edge
2: Jeff Hardy
3: Koslov
4: Big Show
6: Undertaker

Order of Elimination:

Edge by Jeff Hardy
Koslov by Undertaker
Big Show by Triple H
Jeff Hardy by Undertaker
Undertaker by Triple H

Elimination Chamber IX

The next Elimination Chamber was billed for John Cena, Chris Jericho, Kofi Kingston, Rey Mysterio, Mike Knox, and Kane. However, before the match started, Edge attacked Kofi Kingston and took his place in the match. Edge won the Elimination Chamber as a result and became World Heavyweight Champion. Edge was the first person to lose the WWE Championship and win the World Heavyweight Championship in one night.

Trivia:

Edge replaced Kofi Kingston after attacking him before he entered the match. As a result, Edge won the World Heavyweight Championship.
This was the first Raw Elimination Chamber where Shawn Michaels was not in the match.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: Rey Mysterio
2: Chris Jericho
3: Kane
4: Mike Knox
5: Edge
6: John Cena

Order of Elimination:

Kane by Rey Mysterio
Mike Knox by Chris Jericho
John Cena by Edge
Chris Jericho by Rey Mysterio
Rey Mysterio by Edge

Elimination Chamber X

With No Way Out being renamed Elimination Chamber, the first Elimination Chamber PPV continued where No Way Out left off. With Wrestlemania 26 on the horizen, the Raw Elimination Chamber started the PPV night. When John Cena defeated Triple H for the WWE Championship, John Cena had to immediatley defend the title against Batista. In shades of New Year's Revolution, John Cena lost the WWE Championship that night.

Trivia:

John Cena won the WWE Championship and lost it to Batista just minutes later.
Kofi Kingston participated in his first Elimination Chamber, dispite being advertised in the tenth Elimination Chamber.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: Sheamus
2: Kofi Kingston
3: Triple H
4: Randy Orton
5: DeBiase
6: John Cena

Order of Elimination:

Randy Orton by DeBiase
DeBiase by Kofi Kingston
Kofi Kingston by Sheamus
Sheamus by Triple H
Triple H by John Cena

Elimination Chamber XI

The first time the Undertaker was the World Heavyweight Champion coming into the Elimination Chamber, it was thought that the Undertaker was sure to win it. Towards the end of the match, Shawn Michaels entered the Elimination Chamber and cost Undertaker the World Heavyweight Championship, allowing Chris Jericho to pick the bones and win the World Heavyweight Championship from the Undertaker.

Trivia:

The eleventh Elimination Chamber marked the first time Chris Jericho won the Elimination Chamber.
This was the first time Shawn Michaels entered the Elimintion Chamber not as a competitor or official.

Stats:

Order of Entry:

1: R-Truth
2: CM Punk
3: Rey Mysterio
4: Chris Jericho
5: John Morrison
6: Undertaker

Order of Elimintion:

R-Truth by CM Punk
CM Punk by Rey Mysterio
Rey Mysterio by John Morrison
John Morrison by Undertaker
Undertaker by Chris Jericho.

Elimination Chamber stats:

Elimination Chamber Winners:

Elimination Chamber I: Shawn Michaels
Elimination Chamber II: Triple H
Elimination Chamber III: Triple H
Elimination Chamber IV: John Cena
Elimination Chamber V: Bobby Lashley
Elimination Chamber VI: Undertaker
Elimination Chamber VII: Triple H
Elimination Chamber VIII: Triple H
Elimination Chamber IX: Edge
Elimination Chamber X: John Cena
Elimination Chamber XI: Chris Jericho

Most Eliminations:
Chris Jericho: 8
Triple H: 7
Undertaker: 6
Batista: 5
Shawn Michaels: 3
Rey Mysterio: 3
Goldberg: 3
Carlito: 3
John Cena: 2
Jeff Hardy: 2
Edge: 2
Bobby Lashley: 2
Test: 2
Randy Orton: 1
Booker T: 1
Chris Masters: 1
Rob Van Dam: 1
Finlay: 1
DeBiase: 1
Kofi Kingston: 1
Sheamus: 1
CM Punk: 1
John Morrison: 1

Most Eliminations in one match:

Goldberg, Carlito, and Undertaker: 3

Most Elimination Chamber Wins:

Triple H: 4
John Cena: 2
Shawn Michaels, Bobby Lashley, Undertaker, Edge, and Jericho: 1

Most Appearances in Elimination Chamber:

Triple H: 6
Chris Jericho: 6
Shawn Michaels: 6

Now, with the Elimination Chamber XIII and XIV coming up for the 2011 Elimination Chamber PPV, what can we expect? For the Raw Elimination Chamber, we have Cena, Sheamus, Orton, Morrison, R-Truth, and CM Punk competing for a shot at the WWE Championship at Wrestlemania. The participants of the Smackdown Elimination Chamber has not yet been revealed (I haven't checked the spoilers). By looking back at the previous Elimination Chambers, what can we expect to happen in Chambers XIII and XIV?

Good analysis Krobra!

Gotta say i know the spoilers for SD Chamber and without revealing anything, il keep my opinion for Edge vs. Del Rio at Mania to myself.

As for the Raw Chamber, its blatently obvious as to what will happen here. I expect both Orton and Punk to be eliminated early to save their feud, Sheamus i feel will eliminate both Morrison & Truth, have Cena up on his shoulders for Celtic Cross only for Cena to break free and hosit him up for the AA. So it sets Morrison free for MITB, keeps Orton vs. Punk there, Sheamus waiting for HHH and Cena gets his shot at Miz with the WWE Title on the line.

Also one more piece of Trivia Elimination Chamber VI was the first time it was a Chamber match for something other then one of the World Titles, but still a worthy prize of No. 1 Contender's ship to the main brand's Championship. And it was No Way Out 2008 :)

Not going to lie, this is a pretty sweet thread. I hadn't realized there's been so many elimination chambers and that even Koslov, Big Daddy V, and Mike Knox participated in some. lol.

It's such an exciting event that it's really just too bad that we can already pretty much tell the results of the RAW side. I think it's a safe bet Cena wins and if he doesn't he'll still find his way into the Mania main event because no way he loses cleanly. Regardless, at least it should be interesting on SD!... I just have a horrible feeling Rey is going to win and face Del Rio for the WHC. Enough of Rey! He sucks!

Nice thread.

damn i enjoyed reading all this lol

i expect big things from the raw chamber, mainly from jomo. but i agree with the post above me that punk and orton will probably be out early to set up their fued. but i think jomo will eliminate truth then sheamus will eliminate him and then cena and sheamus will have it out for awhile only with cenas prevailing. i really don't want cena to win but i get it, he has to be in the main event. but as long as he doesmt enter number one and win i'll be fine with it

Nice analysis/thread.

I'm expecting there to be a never give up moment at basically all times in the Elimination Chamber where Jomo starts and stays until either the second last man or the last man *=o*

On another note LOL @ Carlito most eliminations in one match xD

i really want to see jomo vs the miz they have so much history they should be able to have a fued and not just a two week i beat u u beat me kinda thing.....their match on raw a couple of weeks ago was great and should have been brought out to more. it is a shame that jomo doesnt get a real shot to run with it becuz he deserves it.. we all know cena is going to win..im from boston and while i like cena, i feel like its time for some other guys to get their spotlight. with all that said...cena will win n then beat the miz at wrestlemania

Nice thread but jsut wana make a correction the chamber came bacl in 2008 when hhh and the undertaker won but I think cena will win the rzw chamber abd idk bout smackdown maybe christian will show up

I actually like how the Raw Chamber match is for the Number One Contender’s spot to the WWE Title. I don’t like how the Smackdown Chamber match is for the World Title. I think Edge and Ziggler should go one on one, one more time, and give the two spots to Big Show and Ezekiel Jackson or Christian. Kofi, Jack, and Chavo would have been good choices as well. This will then make Smackdown’s WM match a Triple Threat match. Come to think of it, I don’t think Alberto should have announce his choice till after Elimination Chamber.

Great thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back