The Greatest Movie Character (Mini-Tournment)

Mac Attack

I'm neat.
Movie lovers, we all know there are several great movie characters that have turned legendary with time, however there can only be one. I've decided to "run" a series of threads pitting the greatest movie characters up against each other to crown who is the greatest movie character according to the Wrestlezone forums. The way I'm hoping this will work is this thread will be for brainstorming who truly are the greatest movie characters of all time and then I will take the top 16 create a bracket for them and make threads tournament style in here to crown the greatest movie character. Now I realize I don't necessarily haven't backing as it's not its own section however think of it as more a thread series than an official tournament.

This thread is for telling me who you think belongs in this limited bracket and why you feel that way. Likewise In this thread I'll be revealing to you who I think belongs in a bracket like this one. So give me your nominations tell me why you believe they belong and remember that this is meant to be fun but also bring attention back to the Media Hub.

My nominations:

Darth Vader- I truly believe he is the greatest villain of all time and originating from the Star Wars series has turned it into one of the most iconic series in movie history. He has many classic quotations and attributes that make him one of the most admired characters in all movie history. I think there may be no greater character than him and he is for sure my first nomination.

Wicked Witch of the West- talk about a character who has lasted the tides of time and is still renowned for its overall impact to move history. The first antagonist to the first movie in color and the wicked witch is still one of the best performed roles even after its 74 years of being released. She gave me nightmares growing up and watching that movie and I truly believe she belongs on the list.

James Bond - this man gets clapped by the Wiserhood every time he appears in screen. James Bond is a classic with 23 films now been produced with him as the main protagonist. One of the biggest franchises in movie history and the most classic line in all movies according to me "The name's Bond, James Bond." James Bond without a doubt belongs on this list.

So there are my first few nominations I might release more if this thread gets stale. Like I said I'm looking for the greatest movie character of all time and I'm only taking 16 to the tournament stages so get discussing and tell me your picks.

Oh and before I forget what Macios, defines greatest movie character?

The answer to this is not a simple one. There are many factors that must be considered when looking at this but for me some of the top ones are impact to the movie industry, reception by the general audiences, importance to the movie world, pleasure you get from the performances, and I guess overall quality of films they were in. It's all subjective so just have fun with it!

Indiana Jones - He's funny, charismatic, smart and tough all at the same time. His movies are well received by most watchers. And I still maintain that he could be a revolving character, a la James Bond.

Predator - He's just a bad ass. Period. He even lives by a code, which adds to his mystique.

Ashley 'Ash' Williams - Between Evil Dead I, II and Army Of Darkness, I don't know how you can't like Ash. He cut off his own (evil) hand and put a chainsaw in it's place. He's a pioneer in the 'one liner' business.

Freddy Krueger - Really, I think the major horror villains should be listed (Jason, Michael). But it's well documented on in this forum how much I love Freddy Krueger. He's a great mix of creepy and funny. Robert Englund did an amazing job playing him.

Maybe more if I think about it.

Good topic but difficult to pick with the many variables... take your three choices for example. On the face of it, all perfectly reasonable but throw in the variables and I hope you see the quandary.

Darth Vader - Great character, universally loved... until you mention the words Anakin Skywalker, then opinions diverge significantly. Plus, in the films that he is loved by all, he is a cameo character.

Wicked Witch of the West - Similar to Episodes IV-IV Vader, the WWotW is also iconic but also a cameo supporting character behind Dorothy, Scarecrow, TinMan, Cowardly Lion, Toto and possibly the Wizard himself. To make the waters even more murky, she doesn't even have a trilogy worth of appearances to bulk up her claim.

James Bond - Guess what weakens 007? He has been portrayed by (00)7 different people to date, all to different degrees of critical and fan response.

Some flesh to the bones please, monsieur! Criteria for the subjects otherwise the picks could be dead in the water before the tournament even begins.

I'll probably make some more nominations soon, but here's another I have in mind

Hannibal Lecter: Lecter is such an interesting and unique character, and he's carved his own niche in the movie industry. He's such an important character in his films that he is in fact a villain that is the focal point of the movie, sort of an anti-hero. He has his own set of morals and his own agendas, and this is what makes him such an interesting character with so many layers. One of the, if not the most memorable and intriguing movie character ever.

I see where people are getting confused. So I'll limit the criteria a bit in order for this to go down a bit easier.

The new criteria shall be:

Memorability: how well the character is remembered, quoted, inspired. All the characters that have been mentioned before are some of the most memorable. They may not be the most important but when everyone looks at it now a days they stick out the most.

Success: Once again all these above characters are very successful. We're talking a out millions of dollar franchises. A standalone movie can be a success as well but the success of their movies should be taken into account.

General On Sceen performance- nobody remembers Darth Vader for his acting ability but more his popularity however there are some performances like I mentioned already In I wicked witch of the west which her acting ability gets her a nomination alone. She may have a small role but was amazing in her movie.

Roy Batty - Blade Runner
What is human? That question is pretty much reliant on him and he delivers in one of the greatest movie speeches you'll ever hear.
Roy is a replicant, a machine and aged only 4, a child but he is the most human character in the film. He's afraid of dying, he mourns his friends as they're killed, he searches for meaning and explanation and rages against the helplessness or his mortality. In his final moments, he shows mercy to Deckard (something he was never given) and explains his sadness that all the beautiful things he's experienced will be lost forever,

Juror No8 - 12 Angry Men
Probably the purest example you can find of a hero. The man who stands up for right, even when he's outnumbered and has no stake in the result, purely because it's the right thing to do. That white suit is pretty iconic too.

Anton Chigurh - No Country For Old Men
The Terminator brought to life, but far more interesting as a character.
A self-appointed angel of death, Chigurh is a result of the times he lives in and the choices he's made, he shows signs of PTSD and may have been in Vietnam. He applies this twisted principle to all around him, telling himself that if the things you've done have lead you to the judgement of his coin, it's your own fault. Completely detached with no empathy or personal responsibility but with a code of principles to rely on, Chigurh is a pure psychopath.

I'm only throwing out three right now......

Ellen Ripley- Sigourney Weaver is the quintessential action heroine, and it's not even close. Of course, the character kind of took a dive in Alien Resurrection, but Alien and Aliens are surefire classics, and Alien 3 was a respectable entry in the franchise.

Hannibal Lecter- Yeah, the mystique of the character sort of faded away after Hannibal, Red Dragon, and Hannibal Rising. But Hopkins still delivered a once in a lifetime performance in The Silence Of The Lambs. And Hopkins started the ground work for a cerebral, charismatic, and cold-hearted villain that we'll never forget.

Michael Myers- He's evil incarnate. Myers is a cold-blooded killing machine, who rarely shows any mercy, and he's an iconic face in the horror genre. I know some Halloween fans will point to Michael shedding a tear in 5, and Rob Zombie showing his face in the uncut version of H2 as major downfall periods. But no character is perfect, and they all have setbacks at one time or another.

I'll add three more nominations to try and keep the discussion flowing.

King Kong - now this night be an interesting nomination in that this "character" has no lines has no real acting and doesn't really have all the performance credentials as some of the others, however Kong is known by everyone and their mother. It's an iconic character and at some point in your life you will know of King Kong. It's popularity and film success I believe should allow this character to be nominated for greatest character of all time.

Captain Jack Sparrow - now whilst personally I have found the movies decline in recent time this is by far Johnny Depp's best character and the performance by the character is by far some of the best acting I've seen by anyone. The character was really well done, is still insanely popular, and truthfully the franchise is very success. Based in intrigue and performance alone I think this character needs to be mentioned.

Willy Wonka - I'm thinking old school Willie Wonka on this one but truthfully whatever one to think of this character is also extremely iconic to the movie industry. Another character in which I think everyone knows and could easily identify this character has captured several audiences in his time. This character in both films outshines that of protagonist Charlie and I think this shows the strength of the character and acting. Once again I feel like this person should be on the list for consideration.

Jessica Rabbit - One of the sexiest characters of all time. And she's a cartoon.

John McClane - How can anybody not love Die Hard? He became the template for lone hero movies that came after Die Hard. A everyday man with a potty mouth that can overcome seemingly impossible odds.

Tony Montana - "Say hello to my little friend". One of the greatest quotes of all time in gangster themed movies and video games came out of his mouth. The success of Scarface inspired various gangster rags to riches movies and television shows worldwide that have their main characters face the same demons Montana faced as he made his way up the world of organized crime.

He was only a minor character in the first two "Superman" movies, but I thought General Zod was one of the most commanding presences ever in movies. I still had my hearing when I first saw the movie and remember how the amazing voice of Terence Stamp scared the living hell out of me. The character's imperious manner made me wish they had built a sequel with Zod as the star. I think it would have worked.

Kneel before Zod.

bqcz.jpg

Rocky Balboa - Rocky is an icon. He embodies the spirit of the era in which his films were released, as well as that of the city of Philadelphia and of America itself. Plus it'd be hard to name many other characters who have their own statue standing near the stairs named in their honor.

The Joker - Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger -- two great actors, two very different interpretations, but one amazing character. There are few film villains that can commit horrific acts of murder and mayhem only to turn right around and get us to laugh with a museum dance or nurse's outfit.

Clark Griswold - Growing up, my family would often call our summer trips "National Lampoon vacations." Who can't relate to a family road trip gone awry or a Christmas constantly on the verge of meltdown? And at the center of it all is dad. Clark is everyone's dad in some form or another. Whether it's the propensity to flirt, the clueless optimism, or the comedic fits of rage, it's all in there. Clark is one of the great film fathers and one of the funniest characters in all of moviedom.

Sergeant Bob Barnes- He's a merciless hard-ass, and it's not a stretch to say Barnes is the most memorable character from Platoon. Tom Berenger was such a sadistic and ruthless asshole, and when I think about Platoon, I think about Barnes.

Michael Corleone- Not only is Corleone an iconic villain, but you have to marvel at the stages of transformation this character goes through in The Godfather film series. In the first film, you can see the early signs of development for this vindictive monster, and the transformation comes full circle in part II, as Michael becomes this powerful, overbearing, cold-hearted and genuinely evil mob boss. But in Part III, you could see a broken and pitiful old man, who wanted to turn his life around and do the right thing. So within the span of three films, you see Corleone's rise to power, his reign on top, and his fall from grace, and a lonely, sad death in third film.

The new criteria shall be:

Memorability: how well the character is remembered, quoted, inspired. All the characters that have been mentioned before are some of the most memorable. They may not be the most important but when everyone looks at it now a days they stick out the most.

Success: Once again all these above characters are very successful. We're talking a out millions of dollar franchises. A standalone movie can be a success as well but the success of their movies should be taken into account.

General On Sceen performance- nobody remembers Darth Vader for his acting ability but more his popularity however there are some performances like I mentioned already In I wicked witch of the west which her acting ability gets her a nomination alone. She may have a small role but was amazing in her movie.

Based on this criteria my answer is Bond, James Bond. Here's why.

Memorability: James Bond is probably the most iconic movie hero of all time, and there are countless memorable Bond moments through the years. Also, in terms of quotability I mean he's "Bond, James Bond", and if he ever asks you for a vodka martini make sure it's "shaken, not stirred".

Success: James Bond is synonymous with the movie business, and he has been around almost as long as major motion pictures have existed. There have been over twenty installments in the Bond film franchise through the years, with no end in sight. I think it's fair to say he is the most successful movie character of all time. 50 years of James Bond? MAKE IT A HUNDRED (John McCain reference).
Another testament to the success of the franchise is the amount of Bond tropes that appear in other films. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery well then Bond scores points there as well, with Austin Powers, a parody of Bond, being an immensely successful film franchise in its own right.

General On-Screen Performance: Bond is interesting in that he has been portrayed by numerous actors throughout his film history. Sean Connery is the original, and in my opinion, the greatest James Bond, but each actor has brought something slightly different to the character. I think it's fair to say that Bond has been quite well cast over the years, with each actor being able to bring the suave secret agent to life in their own way. From the more serious interpretations of Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig to the more light-hearted one-liner friendly interpretations of Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan, there are things about each Bond actor that I enjoy.

So yeah, there's your winner.

Based on this criteria my answer is Bond, James Bond. Here's why.

Memorability: James Bond is probably the most iconic movie hero of all time, and there are countless memorable Bond moments through the years. Also, in terms of quotability I mean he's "Bond, James Bond", and if he ever asks you for a vodka martini make sure it's "shaken, not stirred".

Success: James Bond is synonymous with the movie business, and he has been around almost as long as major motion pictures have existed. There have been over twenty installments in the Bond film franchise through the years, with no end in sight. I think it's fair to say he is the most successful movie character of all time. 50 years of James Bond? MAKE IT A HUNDRED (John McCain reference).
Another testament to the success of the franchise is the amount of Bond tropes that appear in other films. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery well then Bond scores points there as well, with Austin Powers, a parody of Bond, being an immensely successful film franchise in its own right.

General On-Screen Performance: Bond is interesting in that he has been portrayed by numerous actors throughout his film history. Sean Connery is the original, and in my opinion, the greatest James Bond, but each actor has brought something slightly different to the character. I think it's fair to say that Bond has been quite well cast over the years, with each actor being able to bring the suave secret agent to life in their own way. From the more serious interpretations of Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig to the more light-hearted one-liner friendly interpretations of Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan, there are things about each Bond actor that I enjoy.

So yeah, there's your winner.

Well I just wanted to make sure you knew this was only a nomination thread and if you really want to support him you should wait for the tournament but I agree with everything that you say here. James Bond fits all the criteria extremely well and without a doubt deserves to be on this last and probably deserves a high seeding.

I've also decided to add another personal favorite character of mine and I think this one might surprise people.

Woody- From Toy Story. I think this one of those characters where people really do see human attributes through the animation of a cartoon. He is extremely popular and extremely well liked, and the movies have done really well in the past. I have him over Buzz as I feel like be is more of a dynamic character and Buzz is more typical protagonist. In addition I think it be cool to add more cartoon characters.

Tournament Update for everyone though,

So I know LSN said he'd see if we could make this tournament more official which means probably a subsection with a lot more participants and nominees and it would probably run like most tournaments do here on WZ.

However,

If that all falls through I'm allowed to do the 16 man tournament in here and if that's the case I might be making some cuts as to who gets in or gets out. However this thread will still be used for nominations for the time being until I get word on what's happening. The more the merrier people!

Rocky Balboa- There's no way you have a greatest characters list and not have rocky on it. They guy just defines underdog. He was the character that you would always be rooting for no matter what, and he made 6 movies. He was inspiring in every way, and of the best characters in movie history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back