The Forums Aren't The Same

Pay Per Ghost

What they f*ck happened in the thread section here
And not just WZF.

Across the boards, there are way fewer discussions with people spending more time on social media sites now.

Is this it? The end of the forum era...

Facebook was a huge, huge hit to forums. When you can spend three seconds typing a response that takes no effort compared to what we do here, there's never going to be a contest. Same for stuff like Disqus comments on places like the main page.

Social media has effectively killed forums across the board. Even the largest internet forums with decade-plus long histories have taken huge hits, so it's not surprising to know that WZ is among them. I've run a New York Rangers forum that, at one point, was the most trafficked Rangers-specific forum on the internet. But even we've seen a noticeable downtrend in activity and new membership. If you were asking me to venture an educated guess, I'd say we lost around 85% of it to Twitter and Facebook, with another 10% attributed to loss of interest (otherwise known as aging, starting a family, less time for internet posting, etc), and the last 5% to some unknown cause.

But most of all, forums have a medium age use that's far too high for sustainability. It's gotten to the point where I've given serious thought to shuttering our doors, which is a reality I'm going to have to face down soon.

Yeah, the huge forums - the SomethingAwfuls and NeoGAFs of this world - are really the only ones that are still going. Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit are where people go now. I don't think stuff like the amount of sections or the Moon Base really helped, but it's chicken feed really. Small and medium size forums are going the way of the dodo.

In short:

9yZaOow.gif

On the bright side, there's less stupid people now since because things are so easy now, it makes logging in here seem complex.

I blame the Nazi mods.

I've run a New York Rangers forum that, at one point, was the most trafficked Rangers-specific forum on the internet. But even we've seen a noticeable downtrend in activity and new membership. If you were asking me to venture an educated guess, I'd say we lost around 85% of it to Twitter and Facebook, with another 10% attributed to loss of interest (otherwise known as aging, starting a family, less time for internet posting, etc), and the last 5% to some unknown cause.

Probably the stunning realization that life is better as a New Jersey Devils fan.

... just not during hockey season.

I'd say a fair few of the regulars are still around due to force of habit or WZCW.

Its wild to me that people would rather post to FB and have some of the fucking freakshows that come around here and debate see their actual names and such.

There was a time were if you simply sent one FB message to someone and they responded, their geo location would ping, and you could one-click it and get a google maps driving instructions to the spot.

No fucking thanks.

Most forums are and were dedicated to just one main topic. Sure, we have different sections, but the main purpose is to discuss wrestling.

Reddit and similar places have literally infinite topics. It makes more sense to spend time there than a single topic forum.

I do still like to hang out here because of the connections I have with most of the well known posters, WZCW, and there are a lot less annoying fans here than most places.

Facebook was a huge, huge hit to forums. When you can spend three seconds typing a response that takes no effort compared to what we do here, there's never going to be a contest. Same for stuff like Disqus comments on places like the main page.

You know I remember when the likes of hi 5 and Orkut where the only social interaction sites. Facebook slowly crept up and just gave people so much more.

And by so much more I essentially mean, an attention span of a goldfish and how to stay connected and active on their platform using as fewer actions.

What I am trying to say is, they adapted, made apps reached your phones and made you type your say as hassle free as possible. The mediums will change in the future so isn't there a way the forums could have done the same?

Or still can?

The forums still have things that Social Media and Reddit can't have. E-feds and fantasy bookings. It's not like people invest in that, but for those who do and enjoy practicing their writing, it's the place. Also way less dumb fucks.

This place died when Coco started being a better person & left.

You know it's true.

If not for the likes of Sam, Lee, Nate, NorCal and Spidey.... I would have no reason to log in here to see whats up. I always know they are good for some laughs and witty insight. I even find myself visiting KB's site more than I do the main page.

In short... Just pull the plug and start the looting. Burn it all to the ground.

This place died when Coco started being a better person & left.

You know it's true.

If not for the likes of Sam, Lee, Nate, NorCal and Spidey.... I would have no reason to log in here to see whats up. I always know they are good for some laughs and witty insight. I even find myself visiting KB's site more than I do the main page.

In short... Just pull the plug and start the looting. Burn it all to the ground.

Glorious times. Endless pages of debates, silly roasting and people losing their shit over fantasy bookings.

I wish we could do a tribute thread so newcomers could read some of those.

I'd say Reddit has gradually drawn away the regulars from most single topic forums. Sadly, on Reddit nobody really has an identity, so the personal aspects of forums has all but disappeared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back