The Final Four: Pool A

Pick One of the Final Four

• John Bradshaw Layfield

• Ken Shamrock

• Big Boss Man

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
Since there are 12 names in contention, I'll break them up into four groups of three names. Pick one of these with the person with the most votes getting in.

got to be jbl,longest championship reign on smackdown and a multiple tag team champion.

I will have to go with JBL. He wasn't a big top draw, But he did accomplished alot in the WWF/WWE. He had one of the longest Heavyheavy champion Reign, He was a US Champion, IC champion and a Multi time Tag team champion. And he was also decent in the ring, So that's why I'll vote for JBL.

Hmm this is tricky. JBL has the most prestige as he was the longest reigning world champ in SD history. Ken Shamrock is the most legit, as the guy is an UFC fighter. But I'm voting for Bossman. Bossman is one of those 80s stars who had nice midcard runs and a nice stint in a tag team with Akeem. For a guy his size he was quite agile. He was a good face and a good heel. His 2nd run in the WWE was probably his best in terms of stardom. He won the hardcore and won a tag team title with the aforementioned Ken Shamrock. He also had awesome feuds with Big Show and Undertaker. He had a unique gimmick in the 80s and was over and I think he could have excelled as a world champ or even a midcard champ.

JBL longest world champion in smackdown history plus who else can legimately use a clothesline for a finisher with just a few words added.

If we are truly wanting the best of the best in this years tournament, why not vote for JBL? Shamrock and Bossman didn't do a single solitary thing of note. Whereas, JBL was a world champion for quite some time, and was leading the Smackdown brand.

Tough one. JBL was a Grand Slam Champion I believe but Bossman was one of the most underrated during the 80s and 90s. I think Bossman can get further in this tournament than JBL so I will vote for the Bossman.

JBL hands down. The majority thus far also seems to agree with that notion, so I don't think much of an explanation is needed. Longest world champ in SD history, Grand Slam champion, and a better wrestling career than Bossman and Shamrock.

Bossman for me.

He was a beast back in the day and IMO, had a better overall run in the WWE than Bradshaw and Shamrock. Shamrock could have been huge, but his gimmick was a bit OTT, if they toned it down, maybe he could have been the WWE's answer to Goldberg, but he wasn't.

I'm pretty sure someone must have broken JBL's record as longest reigning Smackdown champion by now? if not, it's irrelevant anyway. JBL was a massive transitional champion, did little for the WWE as a champion, did little after being champion, wasn't that great of a wrestler and IMO only got the belt because of his loyalty to Vince.

Then he became a bully, got beaten up by Joey Styles and grew wobbly tits, before losing to Ray Mastrio, a man half his size in like 10 seconds.

Bossman's nightstick > JBL.

For me, JBL takes it, if only for his lengthy reign on Smackdown. Although I did love the APA.
I'd have thought he'd have been in already, although he received it at a weak time, he did have a very long reign and was a very hated heel.

I'm curious why JBL, Bossman, and Shamrock are lumped when another pool has Sandman, Corino, and Mike Awesome. I would vote all three of these in before them. But I digress.

This has to go to JBL. He was a spectacular wrestler that played the role of a heel perfectly. He was a tough SOB, who legitimately defeated the likes of John Cena and Eddie Guerrero. Layfield is the longest reigning champion in SmackDown history, and his cabinet gives him a unique edge in the competition. Vote JBL, a wrestling gawwwddd.

As much as this is going to fucking kill me, I have to go with JBL. The sad fact is, he's a World Champion; no one else in this list is. I'm quite shocked to see that Bossman and Shamrock are getting ousted. I could have made a case that Shamrock was a UFC Heavyweight Champion, but we all know that seems just a little flawed. JBL may be a prick, and a porr wrestler who was only relevant for one year of his career, but that one year surpasses everything Bossman and Shamrock have done.

Though, one shouldn't ignore Bossman. A former UWF Champion, he has some decent wins in his own right. Big Bubba took Hogan to the limit in his heyday, and it's going to be sad to see him not in the tournament.

I voted JBL with force here. Big Bossman was one of my least favourite guys at one time in the WWE, probably because of he was actually decent at what he did. But you could have called Bret Hart a meanie and would have pissed me off as a kid. But JBL was actually someone who pissed people off when I knew about the ins and outs.

Didn't vote for Shamrock so I didn't have to see people say his MMA background comes into play in this... a wrestling keyfabe tourney.

Why do all 4 of these 3-man groups feel like jobbers? I get that by no means are they, but it just feels like this is the Staff's way of filling holes to give cheap wins to whomever they face.

Regardless, JBL now has a 34 vote lead over the Big Boss Man, and it doesn't look like he'll be slowing down anytime soon.

For me, it was a vote for the general majority of whats been said. Bradshaw is a former World Heavyweight Champion, and more so - a long reigning, former, World Heavyweight Champion. He's defeated guys like Kurt Angle, Big Show, Booker T, Eddie Guerrero, and The Undertaker during this reign - so it wasn't the fluke many still want to try and call it. He deserves in, over the likes of a former UFC Athlete turned mid-card (at best) Wrestler.. and a good overall gimmick, from the late 80's, early 90's.

Shamrock. JBL was in the right place, Smackdown, at the right time, 2004, and that is the only reason he was world champion. Shamrock main evented in 1998, and beat some of the biggest names in wrestling on a regular basis. For every win JBL has over people, he has at least two defeats. JBL is a decent heel, but he never solicited the reaction that Bossman did in the early 90s and was never as high in the company list of importance even when he was World Champion as either of the other two. We're talking here about a man that lost in less than two minutes to The Boogeyman less than a year after being champion. JBL's reign was fucking bullshit, and he absolutely isn't in the top 100 wrestlers of all time, no matter how long he was world champion for.

Bossman deserves your vote more than JBL, but I prefer Shamrock myself.

I would have to say JBL. He's a former WWE Champion, had longevity, could cut a promo and was a grand salm champion (thoughb not very many people care about that). While I liked both Bossman and Shamrock, I feel Shamrock didn't have the longevity of the orther two and Bossman never made that big of an impact mon the wrestling scene.

I put my vote in for Big bossman, simply for longevity as he was a consistent midcarder pretty much fifteen years and a consistent performer, I think he deserves his dues.

This is an complete no brainer if you ask me, JBL all the way, I've always kinda liked him, wouldn't have minded him have just one championship reign more, I will definitely be looking forward to seeing him in the tournament if he wins (looking on the votes, he really has to be getting some haters to loose now)

Got to go with JBL. Only one of the three that got a solid, main event run. During the JBL gimmick, he was always top notch on the mic and solid in the ring. No matter what you may think of him, I think a near 1 year title reign is enough to earn him a spot on the list.

Why do all 4 of these 3-man groups feel like jobbers? I get that by no means are they, but it just feels like this is the Staff's way of filling holes to give cheap wins to whomever they face.
Who else would you have put in though? Do you think there's a single person on here who is qualified to argue the merits of George Hackenshmidt over Mr. Perfect? Do you think posters here will give a damn about Jumba Tsuruta? Of course not, so we go with names they may know, to make it a better contested tournament. Hell, just look at which of the four pools has gotten the most votes...At the time of this post, the International guys have 44 votes, the Old School guys have 48 votes, the ECW guys have 53...and JBL has 50 votes by himself. JBL has earned more votes than the combined votes of the International and Old School guys by himself. The WWE guys have a total of 65 votes.

THAT'S why the guys are who we chose. We picked the guys with the best chance of advancing. Maybe next year we'll just include more "jobbers" in the main list, so you can feel even better about yourself when Edge beats Orville Brown...because, as you know, YOU are the reason those people would vote for Edge.

LOL @ Sly's post.

Anyway, JBL was a glorified tag team presence whom McMahon pushed - I firmly believe this - because he was a fellow Millionaire Republican. And that's Vince's prerogative as it is his company. But even still, I felt it was more on JBL's outside-the-ring merits as opposed to his in-ring merits.

In the ring JBL was a bully. Backstage, JBL was a bully. A lot like Bubba Ray. Both d-bags.

I give JBL credit, he worked some terrific matches as a heel with the likes of Eddie Guerrero and John Cena, but I still feel he's a bit over rated because of a solid end to his career.

I went with Shamrock. Bossman was over at a time when fat guys with goofy would-be stripper gimmicks worked. Shamrock made a highly successful transition from MMA to Pro Wrestling - and I don't mean like Dan Severn in the NWA. Shamrock managed to be bad-ass AND relatively entertaining without looking stupid. He had great matches with the likes of The Rock, Owen Hart, Chris Jericho, and many others. He was a major part of two huge stables in his time - the Corporation and the Union.

It's clearly a runaway for JBL, but that doesn't mean I can let this slide without dropping some knowledge.

I voted for JBL even though I'm not quite sure why. I suppose it's because I know he'll make it past a round or two instead of being fed to a superstar, and he might actually make it interesting.

Neither of the other wrestlers have his accolades, and at this stage in the game, I guess it's what matters.

JBL is a dingus, honestly. Sure, he had a decent 9 months, but over his whole career he was an embarrasment. Find me Ken Shamrock losing to somebody of the stature of Boogeyman. Shamrock beat, amongst others, The Rockon PPV in 1998. At the same time, JBL was struggling to even get on the card. Ken Shamrock featured on every single one of the big four PPVs that happened when he was with the company between 1997 and 1999. Bradshaw managed to get on the card of three between 1996 and the end of 1999, and every single one of those three featured at least 8 participants.

Layfield was around to get the title in 2004 when nobody else was. As proof look at what he started that year doing - out of the Royal Rumble in 40 seconds and losing to Rikishi and Scotty 2 Hotty at WrestleMania. JBL's push wasn't planned and only came because the rest of the Smackdown roster at the time was even more depleted. WWE had lost three main eventers after WrestleMania, Cena and Batista weren't ready yet, Orton was being pushed on Raw, and both man of the future Edge and Kurt Angle were injured. Kane and Undertaker had recently entered longterm story arcs and there was literally no other option. At no point since his brief flirtation with the title has he ever looked like winning it back, and his reign itself consisted of Orlando Jordan and Heidenreich helping him beat The Undertaker, Guerrero, Booker T and fluke wins over Angle and Big Show. It's a reasonably impressive list, but I'd argue that the likes of The Rock and Chris Jericho are better than most of them.

Oh, one more thing, the only time they were on opposite sides of a match, The Union beat The Ministry, when Bradshaw tapped out to, err... Ken Shamrock.

Reactions: X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back