The end of the Golden era

Discussion in 'The Wrestling Archives' started by GhettoV1, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Makaveli31

Makaveli31 Championship Contender

Did Vince McMahon not decide who was going to over? Or did the Undertaker legitimately defeat his opponent in a contest of skill? Again, I can't argue with anyone who "lives in fantasy land."

2. HeenanGorilla

HeenanGorilla Championship Contender

Why is "lives in fantasy land" in quotes? Who are you quoting?

I love how you argue my points with more proof of the points I made. I really have to stop now though. I see now that you are only playing a character here on the forum and are not an actual person responding to debate. There are different kinds of people on this forum; some I agree with, some I don't. But to actually respond with and act like you are informing me that these matches have predetermined outcomes is just too ridiculous. The dumbest of the dumb wouldn't legitimately think anyone didn't know this, so it has to be you are playing a character that argues any point, even one made by your same character. Either that or you are insane, which I have not dismissed either. But, either way, it's not fun now.

I feel like someone arguing with a guy who is telling me water isn't wet and it went from entertaining to boring. As always, I thank you for getting me through a dull work week, but the mix of being Friday and your nonsense of wins and losses not existing, it's just void of any amusement now.

Bernkastel likes this.
  3. Greg4WWE

Greg4WWE Pre-Show Stalwart

Still can't believe Vince didn't want Savage to be a performer anymore. Not being on the WM card was horrible. Savage for good reason left shortly there after and had a good run with WCW. He still had a lot left at that point.

4. Makaveli31

Especially since he brought Hogan back at WrestleMania 9 although in a tag team with Brutus Beefcake. Maybe it had to do with financials. I would imagine Savage was commanding a pretty good payday per PPV. Vince was always looking for that "Babe Ruth" ambassador who could represent the company in a non-wrestling role, maybe he felt Savage was off better in that role plus it would give Savage less leverage financially.

As an announcer he was making a fraction of what he made as a performer but Vince still took it hard when Savage jumped to WCW. He was probably one of the last of the "Golden Era" wrestler's to make that jump. I still think it sad he never came back home to the WWF to get his well-deserved just due.

5. Greg4WWE

True, but Savage's injuries later in his career probably prevented that. When he came back all beefed up, it wasn't the same Savage. He could barely go at that point. I guess the muscle was to hide all that.

I still think he should have been the one to go over Yokozuna eventually. Maybe even at Wrestlemania 9 instead of putting him in a title match with Bret Hart.

OH the what if scenarios we can think about daily.

6. Makaveli31

Maybe not as a performer and certainly not full time at that point but he was so great on the stick and so over with the fans he could've done just about anything. I think his wrestling days were just about done in his last WCW go around but even a send off like they gave Warrior would've been awesome to see. Savage was a different guy though. He was content living out the rest of his life in relative seclusion. He had no interest in coming back unless it was on his terms.

I think if anything would've been done with Savage at that point it would've been a feud with Shawn Michaels to pass the torch to Shawn but anything would've been better than the lukewarm feud with Crush.

7. LBGetBack

LBGetBack Championship Contender

Yeah, I never really thought about it but what was the point with that Crush feud? It's not like Savage and Crush had been longtime storyline buddies. I can't remember Crush being used for much of anything after that Savage feud either. Not sure what the point was?

8. Greg4WWE

Sorry I meant in his later WCW days. After he was out for a year and came back all beefed up with Gorgeous George. At that point he could barely go. He was great in 96-98 though.

9. Greg4WWE

I thought it was a way to get Savage feuding with Yoko eventually. I truly thought Savage was going to be the one to finally beat Yoko. Didn't turn out that way, but I thought the Crush feud was to get that going.

10. Makaveli31

Well the main reason was to turn Crush heel. If you remember, Crush turned on Savage on RAW and unleashed a vicious attack. Dropping him neck first on the railing and bloodying his mouth. It also gave Savage a chance to be on WrestleMania after being shot down for the HBK feud. Crush just gave Vince another "monster heel" to work with. We all know how much Vince loves "monster heels." I think the plan was to have him feud with Lex to get Lex ready for Yoko but Crush was busted for steroids shortly after and released.

11. LBGetBack

LBGetBack Championship Contender

Yeah, I remember the turn. They were playing it up like Savage and Crush had been big buddies, and then Savage didn't call Crush when he was out injured after Yokozuna took him out.

I think Crush and Lex even had a little mini feud. But Crush lost to Savage and didn't get much of a push after, when he was still around. And Savage went right back to the announcing booth after Mania 10.

12. WWEWrestleFest

WWEWrestleFest Pre-Show Stalwart

Crush was one of Savage's actual friends outside of wrestling, so I'm sure Savaged probably asked to work with him.