The Colin Kaepernick Controversy

Discussion in 'The Sports Arena' started by Hyorinmaru, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

The Colin Kaepernick situation

For those unaware recently during a preseason game during the singing of the National Anthem Colin refused to stand. When asked why he said
    Since then there has been quite the backlash from both his colleagues in the NFL to fans all over the country who have gone so far to buy his Jersey and burn it on Instagram. Others are defending Colin while condemning the people who are burning his jersey.

I absolutely hate what he did and I don't buy for a second the reason he gave for doing it but at the same time he's well within his right as an American citizen to do this but at the same time it's well within the right of the people to show their displeasure any way they choose from boycotting the 49ers if he's playing to burning his jersey.

What say all you guys about this?

2. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

This is one of those issues where everybody is ready to wave their "bullshit" flags for whatever response they observe.

We're able to stay mostly anonymous on this forum, so I hope that I can share my honest opinion without completely ruining my life.

Colin stated why he chose not to stand, and -- to me -- it's a legitimate reason to protest. We all have different experiences and perspectives that we can't control, but we can at least try to empathize. I don't think that we should all bend over backwards on Colin's behalf, but I think that we should at least listen to what he has to say.

To the people burning his jersey, fuck those idiots. They have every right to do that, just like I have every right to wear a devil mask to church. Where Colin is trying to bring awareness to what he sees as apathy toward deaths involving African Americans, they're burning his jersey in an attempt to showboat how ridiculously jingoistic they are.

Not standing for the National Anthem isn't as big a deal as systemic racism in American society, but while the meatheads film themselves grunting out something resembling English as they set fire to a shirt they're only proving where their priorities lie. Colin didn't burn the American flag or praise Osama Bin Laden, he sat in protest of an issue that the idiots who burned his jersey are willing to ignore on behalf of getting to flex on camera. Seriously; if it's your priority to burn his jersey that's fine, recording yourself doing it is just fucking stupid.

Things are getting pretty crazy on social media with new revelations regarding Francis Scott Key's other verse to the National Anthem that went like this:

Basically; slaves who decided to defect to the British in exchange for freedom were being painted as traitors. I don't know if what's expected is that the entire anthem be replaced, or if our government just acknowledge that there had been a pro-slavery element to the US National Anthem. I personally don't like that the discussion on social media has gone this way, but that's where it is now.

I think that Colin would be willing to stand for the national anthem if he sees efforts to increase funding for education, reform criminal justice and impose stronger penalties in regard to racially biased hiring practices. I feel that the discussion should at least address his concerns, and that people recording themselves burning his jersey should go get a life.

Khalifa likes this.
  3. Stone Cold Tea

Stone Cold Tea Getting Noticed By Management

To go to the lengths of burning his shirt is pretty stupid. From what I can gather the guy has a legitimate reason to take a stand. Like Envious said burning it doesn't achieve anything regarding the issue at hand.

There's a similar issue over here where a footballer named James Mclaen I think it is refuses to wear a poppy for Remembrance Sunday. His reason being that his family suffered during the the Bloody Sunday massacre. He says he it's not right for him to wear that poppy after what happened. He gets a shit load of abuse for his beliefs and I just don't get why people get so pissed off over it and take the time out to be dicks about it.

4. Mighty NorCal

Mighty NorCal SHALL WE BEGIN?

I don't have the time or passion to dedicate to this because I honestly could not give a shit less.

Its his right to stand or not, its everyone else's right to think and say he is an asshole over it.

There are ways to go about saying what he wants to say without offending and disrespecting millions of people, but whatever....maybe those people shouldn't be so easily offended.

Khalifa likes this.
  5. Makaveli31

Makaveli31 Championship Contender

A country that oppresses black people and people of color?!?? Is this the same guy that goes home to his mansion every night? I think he sounds ignorant saying this country oppresses black people when he gets paid more than most white people will make in their lifetimes. He should read about the civil rights movement, the history of South Africa or visit North Korea or Cuba and find out what real oppression is.

What is his opinion on out of control black on black violence, or the absence of fathers in the black home? What about the lack of education among minorities? Why aren't Asian people being oppressed in the same manner as blacks. They were discriminated against during World War II. Maybe he should look in the mirror,

6. nwocongo

nwocongo Getting Noticed By Management

I am also of the "I don't really give a shit what an athlete/celeb thinks" camp but it's a hot issue. He was well within his rights and I understand and echo SOME of his sentiments (continuation of crooked police policies with little to no repercussions) however I don't think he went about it the right way. He says it's not a publicity stunt but he clearly wants attention and wants to be asked why he isn't standing, and seriously how relevant has Colin Kaepernick the Football player been the last two seasons? Rather than perpetuate the negativity by trolling pissed off redneck football fans, he could do more positive things in these "oppressed" communities. I know of at least one charitable cause, he does that Camp Taylor thing for children with heart disease, but I still question how much he does to help these "oppressed" communities he talks about, and please do inform me if I'm wrong and he has done more in impoverished communities than I am aware of.

I would have this to say to Kaepernick or any celebrity/millionaire who claims to be standing up for a cause: Rather than continue to protest by disrespecting the flag (which honestly achieves very little or is counter productive in the grand scheme of things) why not get out and practice what you preach? You have the platform and means to do so. Go to the City Halls in these communities and protest there, not on the sidelines. Build parks and youth centers in these communities, establish charitable programs to educate and uplift these communities, spend the off season speaking and working in these communities, do something positive for the people you're "standing up for" instead of protesting about it and giving the naysayers more reason to hate. I know people who don't make 6+ figures who actually do things like this, not because they want to be social justice warriors or celebrated humanitarians in the media, but because they actually care about the people and communities they claim to be concerned about.

As for his detractors they are also well within their rights to disagree and rescind their support. As for burning his shit on Instagram, that too is within their rights, I think it's silly as all hell because who bought that merch? Not Colin Kaepernick but I digress. It's an election year so any social tensions and polarizing topics are magnified ten fold. If only people got half as passionate about other things like their families and communities as they do football, oh well.

7. rbv13

rbv13 Championship Contender

His timing for such a protest comes during a questionable time. Where was the outrage a few seasons ago when he was on top of the world? I guess he has had a lot of time to review political views now that he has been demoted and looking at possibly being cut all together.

8. Spidercanrana

Spidercanrana Should've Reinstated The Fox
    Staff Member Moderator E-Fed Mod

lf only people got riled up for domestic abuse, rape allegations, and drug use in sports as they do for an athlete not being patriotic. Let's burn jerseys for how shit a player is to animals and the like for once.

It's a no-win debate. People of color are oppressed. Not standing for the flag is disrespectful for the people that defend our country. We have gotten soft when it comes to what offends us. If dude really cared, he could have went on a hunger strike, tied himself to the gridiron, or straight up led a walk-out. Kids at school sit down for the Pledge and it's not all that a big of a deal.

What I'm saying is protest has gotten weak and so have our backbones.

The hippies were tougher.

9. SSJPhenom

SSJPhenom The Phenom of WZ

I love what he has to say, however, I hate the way he's gone about saying it.

He can't blame the entire country for the sins of a few. That, in and of itself is akin to racism. Just because there are a lot of racist assholes out there doesn't mean our country supports them and although I do agree that some of those officers basically got away with murder, I don't think that that's something our country supports. The very reason that he's able to sit during our national anthem is reason enough to celebrate our country.

I think he's right in what he's saying, but I also think that his actions pretty much spit in the face of those who have fought and died for the rights that he and the rest of us obviously employ and enjoy.

10. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

You're a racist piece of shit and I hope a parasitic worm crawls up your dick.

1) Just because he is a black man and makes more money does not mean black people are not oppressed. To suggest that he shouldn't care about his community just because he is doing well is moronic.

2) Just because things have been worse for black people at different times or places in the world doesn't mean black people aren't oppressed in this country. They may be less oppressed than before, but there are still loads of oppressive laws, policies, and cultural norms.

3) Black on black violence is a problem. It is not the problem he is addressing. Criticizing him for addressing the oppression of black people instead of black on black crime would be like criticizing Gandhi for addressing the oppression of the Indian people instead of Hindu/Muslim tensions.

4) Asian people were never held as slaves in the United States for hundreds of years and then forced to live under overtly oppressive laws for about a hundred more.

Maybe you should read a history book. Or take a common sense enema.

TJ Matics likes this.
  11. nwocongo

Exactly! Thank you. yes Colin Kaepernick makes tons of money but he is an outlier not the norm. For every Colin there are thousands more that don't make it past high school or college football and never get out of those shitty neighborhoods they are born into. Just because black people aren't getting German Shepherds sicked on them with regularity doesn't mean they still don't have to overcome bigotry and hatred on some level on a regular basis.

Did it ever occur to you Makaveli, that maybe the "lack of education" and "absence of fathers in the black home" are products of the oppressive system? ya know like black folks getting locked up for crimes that Thurston Dylan Chatwood IV of the Phi Chi fraternity commits comfortably every weekend with no worries of even a slap on the wrist. Yes there are things like minority scholarships and affirmative action but let's not act like black people have it made and they are the ones bringing all these problems on themselves.

I work in a field that is rotten with good ol' boys and other assorted racist hicks (telecom) I tried to get a friend who graduated ahead of me in the same course of study a job at a company I used to work for, the polite version of the bossman's response upon finding out he was a colored gentleman was "hell no! I don't hire ni*****", needless to say working for that ********er sucked anyway and I started looking for a new job that same week. That's just one of many times in my lifetime I've witnessed a black friend deal with shit that most people would assume doesn't still happen in this century.

12. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

Instead of protesting by sitting, maybe he should stand up. Stand up and pull out his check book. There's a lot of underlying factors that lead to several stereotypes about various races in this country. If he pulled out his checkbook and donated a few dollars to various charities or educational foundations that support African Americans, maybe he could actually help make a difference. By sitting on his ass, literally and figuratively, he's not really helping anything.

nwocongo likes this.
  13. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

Seriously, in the time it took you to post this you could have found no less than 6 different articles profiling all of the work he's done for Camp Taylor. Including donating money. Just put forth even a little bit of effort before you post and you can avoid looking like an ass.

This whole thing is fucking dumb.

TJ Matics likes this.
  14. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

He's made more headlines sitting down than donating his time/money. Why not use the exposure to advertise that? I haven't seen one mention of that anywhere. Could I have gone looking for that information? Sure, but if he wants to raise awareness, should I have to?

Your last statement I fully agree with.

15. Makaveli31

And you're an idiot. You're in the business of making excuses of bad behavior. So he cares about his community huh? What is his stance on black on black violence. More black men are killed by OTHER black men than police officers jerk, or do you not know that? What is his stance on the lack of black fathers in the black homes? Why doesn't he speak on that? How many black fathers have abandoned their kids?!? How about the influx of drugs brought into the black community by black drug gangs?!? How about the disproportionate crime rate among African-American males? Or are they "framed" by the police? You are a moron,

Really? Name some laws, policies and "cultural norms" that "oppress" black people"

I think the fact that more African-American are likely to be killed by one of their "brothers" is a bigger problem that these isolated incidents with the cops. But that's my opinion.

Slavery was outlawed A LONG time ago. Blacks actually prospered in the 1960's and 1970's. Their median household income was on par with their white counter parts? Do you know what happened? Maybe you should read a history book.

16. Makaveli31

Really? So this "oppressive system" causes black men and women to multiple babies out of wedlock? It causes black men to abandon their families and responsibilities? It causes a child not to go to school and get an education and turn to gangs and drugs? I'm pretty sure "Thurston Dylan III" does not commit rape, robbery or murder.

So you work with a racist. I work with many blacks. They successful. They joined the military, went to school with the G.I. bil , and got high paying jobs.

17. SSJPhenom

Jesus I'm tired of hearing the term 'Black on Black Violence'. Does anybody know why black people commit more crimes against other black people? It's because they live in the same community and are around more people that are black instead of any other race. Let's call it community violence. If not, then let's start using the term white on white violence because over 80% of violent crimes that happen against white people are committed by other whites. Same goes for Latinos and most other races here in America. It has to do with proximity, not the fact that black people just behave and act like violent animals to one another. The only reason that term is prevalent is because that is what the media focuses on, however, when a white person kills, rapes, or robs one from their community it's not white on white violence.

Give me a fucking break.

TJ Matics likes this.
  18. Makaveli31

OK "community violence" does that make you feel better? Changing the name of what we call it does not change the facts.

19. SSJPhenom

No it gives perspective because white people harm their own community just as much.

20. nwocongo

Way to not answer the question at all by asking another question. I avoided directly calling you a racist or an ignorant bigot because I didn't think you sharing your opinion was grounds for that, but since you decided to directly respond to me by indirectly addressing my question, I guess i have to call it like i see it. If you're implying that only minorities commit violent crimes, have babies out of wedlock and skirt the responsibilities of fatherhood, sell drugs and engage in gang activity then that speaks volumes about your character. If you don't think that a frat boy has ever committed Rape, assault, property damage, murder by way of drunken misconduct, theft etc... then you sir, are truly a delusional fool or you live in a fantasy world. Have you ever even been on a campus or read newspaper at any given public college town in America? There are weekly instances of frat boys committing sexual assault and or rape, assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, fleeing the scene of a felony hit and run and several other crimes a less privelaged individual would be locked up for. Also btw not every black man in jail is in there for raping your precious white women, some of them are in for petty shit that would have been nothing but probation for one who could afford a lawyer, I guess it's easier to just ignore facts that don't support your views.

I have two more questions you will surely avoid, 1) these black co-workers, do you share with them your views on how only "their kind" commit rape and father children they abandon? Or are you just a chicken shit closet racist who repeats the Limbaugh-esque redirect from the safety of his home?

And 2) Did these co-workers of your's grow up in inner city Oakland or Philly in 3rd world conditions, or were they born into a better set of circumstances?
    I'm not saying being born into poverty is a death sentence, it's possible to overcome but it certainly makes things more difficult then they would be for a middle class suburban child who doesn't have to worry about being surrounded by drugs and violence.
    Your answer (or lack thereof) to my original question has made it clear that trying to have a real discussion with you is pointless. You are an ignorant coward who spews this bullshit online or in the company of his fellow cowardly ignorant friends but has no sac or backbone and becomes a chameleon who hides his true feelings when interacting with black people in public.

So in short, as my first post stated, Colin is entitled to his opinion but I disagree with how he's going about it because he is just fueling the fire for ignorant pricks to continue to view people of color as the problem.

21. Makaveli31

When did I state that ONLY minorities 1) commit violent crimes 2) have babies out of wedlock 3) engage in gang/drug activity and/or criminal behavior 4) abandon their kids etc...when did I state that idiot? BUT the FACT is the aforementioned behavior is DISPROPORTIONATELY seen in the black community. You seem to want to blame America and "the system". You want to call this great nation (and it is GREAT) a racist and oppressive nation but I'm saying take accountability to your actions! Change the behavior! Look at the statistics. Look at the number of fatherless homes in the black community compared with whites. It is a PROVEN fact that absentee fathers DIRECTLY lead to poverty and criminal behavior among adolescents that leads o to gangs and drugs. Where are the fathers?!? Am I racist to saying that?

Again, I never said that ONLY black men commit rape and abandon their children. I just stated that the number of African-American men engaged in violent crime and 1) having multiple babies and multiple women and 2) not providing for them is disproportionately high in the black community in reference to their population numbers compared with whites. You implying that I am racist for stating facts is chicken shit.

There were born in the inner cities. Oakland, Philly, Chicago, D.C., LA. I never said it would be easy. Nothing is easy in life. You want to making excuses for the black child not to succeed. "It's too hard so I'll just turn to drugs and gangs" You are part of the problem. It's too easy to blame "the system' and too hard to get an education, go to school, join the military, and shun gangs and drugs. You want a life of hand outs and welfare. You don't want responsibility and accountability. You sir are the reason poverty and cycle of violence exists.

22. George Steele's Barber

George Steele's Barber Advertise Here $9.95/month

I'm just enjoying the outrage over this (real and fake). People who love to bitch about "political correctness run amok" are offended as fuck that a person made a political statement that they do not find to be correct.

23. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

My favorite part of all this was Drew Brees' statement that basically boiled down to him saying "political statements involving the flag are okay so long as the statement is pro flag."

I may just be a piece of shit filthy liberal (I mean I am but that is beside the point), but I just don't get why the flag itself is so important. It is just a flag. He didn't personally spit in the face of each and every veteran like some people are claiming him to have done. Plus I always found the idea of pledging your allegiance to a flag to be a communistic idea anyway.

24. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

I don't think that's why most intelligent people are upset though. it's more the fact he didn't stand. I have never said the pledge of allegiance even when I was told to at the beginning of every school day. What I did do every single time was stand up. The standing is a sign of respect for everyone in the military who fight and sometimes die for our rights in this country.

Had Kaeprnick stood up and gave his political views some other way I have to think a lot less people would be upset

25. nwocongo

Cool backtrack bro, thanks for clarifying that what you previously stated wasn't actually what you meant, clearly I took your words out of context, very Politically savvy. For the record I do think this is a great nation, that doesn't mean there isn't still room for improvement especially in our crooked ass justice system, which after all, this seems to be the main source of Kaepernick's actions (that and wanting attention), and as I stated that was pretty much the only thing Kaepernick and I are in agreement on.
    Yes you can say black people commit crimes at a disproportionate rate, I won't argue that, but are they not profiled disproportionately? Which came first the chicken or the egg? And when did shoplifting or selling black market shit in America become an offense punishable by death with no trial? To me it's not too much to ask that everyone plays by the same set of rules, hence my comments about rich legacy pricks who get away with anything and everything because of who their family is or what their zip code is. Where is the responsibility and accountability there Mr. Fact dealer? You conveniently ignored that bullet point, I guess facts that don't back up your views don't count.

Thanks for clearing things up for me, I assumed that I was somehow responsible for every problem in this country, I was born in 1988 but I'm pretty sure you're right there, my desire for people of all walks of life to have a fighting chance is the sole reason for Japanese internment camps and the slave trade.
    For someone bitching that I'm putting words in their mouth you have made quite a few assumptions of my beliefs and background... i WORKED my way through school to get a good job and pay off my loans. You know loans, those things most people who aren't born with a silver spoon in their ass usually need to pay for college. I suppose I could have joined the army and taken advantage of the GI bill, but this isn't Serbia, it's America where you aren't required to sign away 4 years of your life during wartime for the promise of benefits you may never see. So cleary you are right again, I have no sense of responsibility or desire to work hard, what a lazy America hating communist I am! Please feel free to get the last word, you started the shitstorm with your comments that didn't really mean what they were clearly implying so you end it, enjoy your holiday weekend.