• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ten Missing

Lee

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
This is just for fun, but this is ten games that were not in the tournament that should be...nine I love, one I hate!

Donkey Kong

The game is a true classic, without Donkey Kong it has been argued that we never would have got out of the crash and gaming would be dead. Aren't you glad they didn't get the rights to popeye?!

The legend of Zelda

To this day this game is still amazing, for what it is on the NES and being 22 years old it's pretty damn good! It also brought us the entire Zelda series and opened up Action/RPGs as a whole

Earthbound

Not much really to say on this other than I really enjoyed it, the humour is quirky the game play is good.

Jet Force Gemini

I think this is the greatest game to have never got a sequel, a great FPS with a rather good way to play.

Metroid Prime

To be honest I hate this game the first time I played it, then I played MP2 and went back. It was great and a good addition to the legacy os Samus.

Kingdom Hearts 2

What KH1 has in gameplay KH2 makes up in story. I preferred the battle sequences in the first one, but moving away from the Disney story with the organization was pretty damned good.

Shining force II
and Fire Emblem(GC)

Two very good Strategy roleplaying games (not sure if they class as RTS) Fire Emblem had a brilliant story and had me hooked. SFII had great aspects of RPG/roaming and RTS

Devil May Cry

How wasn't DMC in the tourney I do not know.

Brian training

I hate this game...but it opened up a huge market of gaming which hasn't really been seen since the mid 80s. Now grandparents have DS' I mean WTF?

So what games do you guys say and WHY?!

Fallout

The game is a landmark and a masterpiece. Extremely edgy for it's time, polished, and oozing with atmosphere.

Portal

Smart, funny, and extremely unique.

Mass Effect

Video game meets big budget action movie. If they do the franchise right, it was the start of something important and genre-defining.

Excitebike

I don't think there's a person alive that owned an NES that didn't waste a lot of time making ridiculously complex tracks to crash their bike on.

Super R-Type

The best example of the dead genre of side-scrolling space shooters. I played this till my thumbs wouldn't move anymore.

Star Fox

Do a barrel roll.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Maybe the most innovative game I've ever played as far as fucking with your head.

Myst

Put PC gaming on the map.

Contra

Just plain mindless, stupid fun.

Neverwinter Nights

Best AD&D-based game ever made.

Reactions: gd
A game that I realized that should have been in the tourney is Banjo-Kazooie. In my opinion, was the best platformer for the N64, and it's a shame I didn't join earlier to recommend it for the tournament. Fluid controls, lovable characters are light comedy made this game beyond its years.

Here are the ten games that I believe should have been in this tournament:

10. Final Fantasy 12(PS2)

"What?! FF had enough games in this tourny". Yes, it has, but I think it deserved a spot more than FF8, with over a hundred hours of gameplay, it's money well spent.

9. Banjo-Kazooie(N64)

I know I am not the only one that thinks this game deserved a spot. I would even say it's better than Super Mario 64.

8. TMNT: Turtles in Time(SNES)
After hearing about XBox 360's re-release of this game, it made me realize that the SNES version is possibly the greatest side-scrolling beat'em up of all time.

7. F-Zero X(N64)

This is personally my favorite racing game series, the music alone is mindblowing and it definitely has a learning curve which makes it much more satisfying when you win a Grand-Prix.

6. Street Fighter 4(PS3/360/PC)
I understand that this game was probably too recent to warrant a spot in the tourny, but I had to put it on the list. This is the game that consumes all my time these days, the online may not be the best, but it is tolerable enough to still have loads of fun. A very addicting game.

5. Fire Emblem 7(GBA)

This was the first Fire Emblem game to come to North America(and Europe?), and it was about damn time. Fantastic storyline with so much insight on 20+ characters along with the clever yet simplified gameplay style makes it a brilliant game. The other Fire Emblem games are all great mentions as well.

4. Zelda: Majora's Mask(N64)

I hear a lot of people complain that every Zelda game has the same exact format blah, blah, blah. Well, look no further because Majora's Mask is the Black Sheep of the franchise, there is no Zelda, no Ganon, no Master Sword, and no Triforce. This game deserved to be in the tourny because of it's creativity, it is basically a Bizarro World Zelda.

3. Donkey Kong Country 1, 2, 3(SNES)

I thought DKC was a guarantee in the tourny, but to my surprise neither of the three made it in. I prefer DKC3 myself, but any one of them deserved to be in the tourny. These games are a blast to play, especially with friends, you can help eachother out or have a competition to see who can beat the game first, fun stuff.

2. Metroid Prime(GCN)

Like Lee, I was actually disappointed with this game when I first got it for X-Mas in 2002. Maybe because it was the first Metroid game I ever played or because it felt a little too Sci-Fi for my tastes. Needless to say, every playthrough I had was more fun than the one before it. It is one of those rare games where it gets more fun everytime you playthrough it, unlike most games where you would get bored the more you play it. This game got me hooked on the franchise and I played nearly every Metroid game to catch up in it's greatness. Samus Aran can kick Master Chief's ass any day.

1. Super Mario RPG(SNES)

What happens when you take the greatness of Mario and mix it with the greatness of Final Fantasy? You get Super Mario RPG, my second favorite game of all time, it is a work of genius. It broke my heart to see that this game didn't make it in because it is a true Masterpiece, I must have beaten it a hundred times by now. If you haven't played it before, you are missing out big time, go find a copy now, or get it the "other" way, you won't be disappointed.

My list would be:

Banjo-Kazooie, one of the best platformers and really so damn entertaining, I would put this on par with Mario 64, but another classic by Rare

Excitebike, I think Dexter said it best about this game, but it so brilliant! So much fun and just the fact that the falling off made it more fun!

Spiderman 2, while it may be a GTA rip off in some form, this is the best Spiderman game you can ever get your hands on. This was the first time it broke the mode of just avoiding a cloud underneath you that you can die from, you had the whole of New York freaking City to explore, you could web anyway, from the Empire State Building to the Statue of Liberty and so on. Granted the fight controls were rubbish, but you have to love it, especially for the cheesy pizza delivery music

[youtube]/v/TvZDYcmhsb4&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

Max Payne This one of my favourite games for the story. A really moving story and tragic, while it wasn't all too perfection, this was such a great game, the matrix style dives, bullet time, that dry cold voice of Payne, the way it's told through a graphic novel. All in all, a great game that I recommend. I can't wait for number 3.

Lego Star Wars Before I jumped on and get asked why a thousand times, it was such a brilliant and fun concept, the original of all lego combo Star Wars and this is one you can enjoy with everyone, such a worthy fun game that I hold no shame to playing.

Star Wars Battlefront/Rogue Squadron Had to a give a shout to these when mentioning Star Wars, quite possibly the two of the best Star Wars game out there. I would personally put Rogue Squadron over as I love flight simulation fighting types, but Battlefront was so damn good too. This was basically Star Wars meets Counter Strike and it was a great mix. I prefer the first to the second, purely because I preferred their Galactic Conquest where you had to win two halfs of the planet and it wasn't overhauled with Jedis and heroes.

Zool Reason being, a game I grew up with, this is a game I would put alongside with Rayman, such a fun 2D adventure, but completely underrated.

[youtube]/v/2AzNkbALNUU&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

Duke Nukem 3D One of my favourite games that I grew up with, when I was actually allowed to play it and I played the 3 2D Duke games prior to this one. I rate this over the classics of Doom and Quake. This game was great for an evil alien FPS, but the best bit was the character of Duke, he was such a badass. One of the things that made this game such a brilliant game was the quotes he said while he was shooting the hell out the aliens! Here's some samples:

[youtube]/v/vGWZuP7yuug&hl=en&fs=1&[/youtube]

How can you not love a game with a character like Duke?!

Think the last one I have to give for this is a classic I loved playing on the NES:

Paperboy This such a great game. Despite it being so simple and one off, you just can't put it down. Throwing papers at old ladies and dogs to being chased by the Grim Reaper and tornados. This is a game you can bang on and enjoy for even 10 minutes and enjoy with friends as you try and compete with each other. Loved this!

Shadow President even now is so indepth its unbelievable. Basically your the USa president, and its set in1 991, so you have to deal with the fall of the ussr(if your good, otherwise it just stays there), the iraq war, Korea misbeahaving etc. Its so simple graphicwise, yet so complex. Have a mooch on over to abandonia and download it, its a cracker.

Shadow President wiki

Elite 3 was pretty good too. At the time, it was a never ending game, ie you could sit and do delivery missions, you could go fight space pirates, go be a criminal, go mining etc. Around 15 years before EVE online even existed.

Elite 3 wiki

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back