Super Mario RPG question

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg

Remember this gem from the SNES era? It was the very first RPG starring everyone's favorite plumber. Peach and Bowser were also playable characters. The other two party members were original characters. Mallow who claimed to be a "tadpole" but didn't look anything like one, and Geno a star spirit who was sent to fix the Star Road in the form of a life sized doll. I remember back when the game first came out, thinking at the time that Mallow and Geno should not have been playable characters, and that others should have been playable in their place.

Who might you ask should have replaced them? Luigi and Yoshi. Luigi was nowhere to be found in this game other than a brief cameo that can hardly even be called one, and would not be playable in a Mario RPG game until "Mario & Luigi" which was the 3rd Mario RPG game and the first game in the second of two spinoff series. This game came out about 7 years after Super Mario RPG. Yoshi was seen in the game, but only if you went through a sidequest and played a mini game where you can race with him and the other Yoshis against a bully named Boshi.

Mallow and Geno could still have appeared in the story because Geno is far too important to the plot to remove him from the game and Mallow had a couple of important moments himself. They could have been NPC's. Whereas Luigi and Yoshi would have made far more sense to round out the party alongside Mario, Peach, and Bowser due to them all being important figures in the Mario series. It would have made sense with it being the first RPG with Mario in it. Yoshi could have joined around Rose Town where Geno does in the actual game, while Luigi could have joined in the Mushroom Kingdom in Mallow's place. Mallow and Geno would still appear in the places where they joined, and then again at various other points that were important to them in the actual game, but as NPC's. The issue comes to mind of what Yoshi's or Luigi's abilities and timing for skills would be. I would have given Luigi moves similar to Mario's but using Geno's star power-up bar as the timing mechanism. Yoshi could use abilities similar to Mallow's in terms of their effect, but revolve them around eggs rather than weather. Nobody would be able to use Geno's guns which is a shame but Luigi could use his flying fist type weapons, and Yoshi could use Mallow's gloves.

Should Luigi and Yoshi have been playable in Super Mario RPG? Why or why not? What kinds of abilities would you give them?

If you answered yes to the first question, would you replace Mallow and Geno with Luigi and Yoshi? Why or why not?

If you answered no to the first question, would you still at least want Luigi to appear in the game (in person and during the main story, that is) somehow? Or what about for Yoshi to have been there for more than just a sidequest? Why or why not?

So....? Discuss.

Should Luigi and Yoshi have been playable in Super Mario RPG? Why or why not? What kinds of abilities would you give them?

I think that Square did the right thing by not having either of them be playable in RPG. This game was a experiment. The first Mario RPG game should have had the three main Mario characters in it as playable, and they did. The new characters were from the story and started their own fanbases(Especially Geno). If Luigi and Yoshi were playable, I think that people would have thought that they were'nt ready for the RPG format.

If you answered no to the first question, would you still at least want Luigi to appear in the game (in person and during the main story, that is) somehow? Or what about for Yoshi to have been there for more than just a sidequest? Why or why not?

I would have liked Yoshi to be in the main game as like the second character's spot in the Mario and Luigi series. He is, arguably, the most loved character from Mario, and deserved more in the game than he got. Luigi, in my opinion, had the perfect spot, a random person who gave very vogue hints. At most, I think he should have at least been visible. It would have gave him more credibility going into the new genre.

I'm going to have to go with no. The game was built perfectly for me and I don't feel like Luigi was developed enough as a character to hold a central spot in the storyline. He probably could of been involved more, but I didn't lose sleep over his absence.

Yoshi did exactly what he was suppose to do: Be a secondary character. Yoshi is, for the most part, a tool used by Mario to advance through the storyline. In such a deep plot, Yoshi fit in quite well as a fun "get-away" mini-game. He might of been able to been used as a mode of transportation, but I'm not complaining.

If you answered yes to the first question, would you replace Mallow and Geno with Luigi and Yoshi? Why or why not?

I feel like Mallow drove the plot a lot more than you gave him credit for. Geno is a given, but Mallow's character is a sad one that takes us to the cloud land that allows us to get to the castle. His story was interwoven throughout the entire RPG, and I loved it.

Nah, I found it fine the way it was. Never once did I think "man Yoshi and Luigi should be in here." I mean, it would have been a most welcome addition but I won't say they should have been featured. I was perfectly content with the playable characters that were in the game and was to addicted to the game to think about what it could have been missing.

That said, if I did add them, i'd give Yoshi abilities that relate to his uses in other games. I'd have him eat people and spit them up, throw eggs, jump on people. Shit like that which everybody expects Yoshi to use. As for Luigi, I have no idea what skills i'd give him. Maybe they felt like he'd resemble Mario to much so they decided against adding him in.

I answered this, I felt like they weren't needed but would be welcome. It's add more playable characters which is always good for those kinds of games. I'm sure they had their reasons for not adding them. I very highly doubt they just simply overlooked having them.

If you hadn't told me that both Luigi and Yoshi were just about completely omitted from the story, I probably wouldn't have noticed. The game was good enough that it covered up any real missing pieces from the Mario Universe, and it did a very good job of introducing new characters that would be embraced by fans.

I'm a HUGE Luigi fan, but, I really don't think that he or Yoshi should've replaced the two, regardless. Geno and Mallow had special places there, very hard to imagine what it would be if the two green guys replaced them. I'd say Luigi could've had more than a cameo, though.

They could have been part of the main story, I just think that it was such a well done game, I wouldn't care if that actually happened.

I'm going to say no. This game was perfect. I mean how much fun would it be to use Fireball with Mario, and than the same move with Luigi. RPG games are based around a diversified team. If the team members are the same, what point would they possess?

I think one thing I wish Square would've done with this game is include summons like their Final Fantasy series.

I mean Yoshi would've made a cool summon. Choco/Mog from FF7 could've been Yoshi/Toad LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back