Story of the Year

Discussion in 'Wrestling Awards' started by klunderbunker, Dec 5, 2012.

?

What Is The Story of the Year For 2012?

1. The Rock Wants The WWE Championship

2. Aces and 8's

3. CM Punk's Year Long Title Reign

4. Jerry Lawler's Heart Attack And Recovery

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

Story of the Year

2. SpoodBeest

SpoodBeest City Dweller, Successful Fella

Lawler suffering a heart attack behind the announce desk, being revived in the back and sent to hospital and being able to return to announcing a mere two months later is most definitely the biggest news story all year. The man survived, and it was scary for us watching live before we knew that. But once the news was announced he had been declared stable many (including myself) breathed a huge sigh of relief.

3. jmt225

jmt225 Global Moderator

Jerry Lawler's heart attack and recovery was shocking and had a happy ending, but it's not what the year 2012 in WWE will be remembered for. This year will be remembered for CM Punk's year long title reign, period.

Whether you've enjoyed it or not, Punk's title reign is by far the story of the year in professional wrestling. Nobody ever expected it to last this long, and it's a huge deal that it has.

TJ Matics and aza1294 like this.
  4. aza1294

aza1294 Occasional Pre-Show

Nailed it. Punk wins

5. 6timehitta

6timehitta Big Papa Panty Droppa

Punk's year reign is simply phenominal. Especially with the rise of Ziggler, the consistency of Cena, and the meteoric rise of Ryback. Then you got the guys who can always challenge, the Daniel Bryans, Kanes, Del Rios, and Ortons.

Lawler is a historic story, but any other year and he'd have it.

6. FunKay the Inevitable

FunKay the Inevitable People Like Me, We Don't Play

I went with Lawler. The heart attack was the single scariest thing I've ever watched on live broadcast television and it scared the living daylights out of me. The recovery was a great story to watch unfold before Lawler ultimately returned from what could've been his death-bed. To me that's a news story.

7. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

I can't score Lawler's heart attack for being the BEST story of the year. From a personal stand-point, it would be wrong to say that as it wasn't really a story, and from a business stand-point it wouldn't be a contender either.

I was torn between CM Punk, and a bit of a strange one. I eventually voted for The Rock's quest for WWE heavyweight gold. The reason for that is that I think that story has had possibly a greater effect on proceedings indirectly than any other. Whilst CM Punk has visibly been the WWE champion, the longest reigning one for 25 years, The Rock having a title match at The Royal Rumble has been sitting in the back of most people's minds for over 6 months now and it has subtly shaped the direction of the show.

It was against The Rock that CM Punk turned heel, a feat which as of recently it seems finally has made his title run important. He was the initial reason behind it as well. From that stems all of Punk's recent actions, Brad Maddox, The Shield, the push of Ryback. All of this wouldn't have been possible without CM Punk using The Rock getting an automatic cash-in as a reason to turn heel. It's clearly not winning, nor will it, but it should be up there.

8. #MrScissorsKick

#MrScissorsKick I'm an Alex Morgan Guy

gotta go with lawler. that was amazing how he recovered and returned so quickly.

punk's year long reign would've been my #2

9. Ricardo Del Rio

Ricardo Del Rio Dark Match Jobber

Lawler's heart attack was a news story, not a wrestling story. Punk wins.

IHW likes this.
  10. wrestlingfan

wrestlingfan Championship Contender

The Year Long Title Reign. To give someone a year long title reign especially Punk of all people, really signaled a changing of the guard, a new era in WWE, per say. 365 days isn't something you take lightly.

11. SYKOVA

SYKOVA Dark Match Jobber

Punks title reign is becoming huge. I hope Vince knows what he is doing.

Have to give credit to King though. The man is a legend.