Stick To What You Do Best!

NSL

Life's A Bitch, And Then You Mosh
Over time, we've seen some great musicians make the leap from just playing an instrument, to singing for their own band. Some have been good. Grohl, Collins, and Clapton are a few examples.

Zakk Wylde, is not. I'm sitting here, listening to my media player, and have been graced with music ranging from Zeppelin to Otep to Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Then Black Label Society comes on, who I've listened to before, and have liked, for the most part. But, I actually listened to the vocals this time, and holy fuck is Wylde awful. He really needs to give up singing, and stick to doing what he does best, and be Ozzy's #2 man.

Who else should be listed here?

Let me be the first to say, I am offended by your comment on Zack Wylde... granted he shouldnt be the lead vocalist, but maybe as a backup? I was going to bad rep you but I realised that you know Ot3p! Good man...

However, I am a massive... MASSIVE... Evanescence fan & it seems to me that Amy Lee has actually material for her solo career. The worst thing for any Lead singer of a gothic type band is to go solo. You might grab a small following but not the big enough mass you looking for. Evanescence is the only mainstream gothic band of the 00's that anybody can name & enjoy. Love you Amy, but stick to what you do best as the singer of Evanescence

[115]FalKon;1251321 said:
However, I am a massive... MASSIVE... Evanescence fan & it seems to me that Amy Lee has actually material for her solo career. The worst thing for any Lead singer of a gothic type band is to go solo. You might grab a small following but not the big enough mass you looking for. Evanescence is the only mainstream gothic band of the 00's that anybody can name & enjoy. Love you Amy, but stick to what you do best as the singer of Evanescence

Amy Lee may be able to do it. I'm sure her solo stuff is mostly the piano rock that she did with Evanescence (think My Immortal), and that can work. She won't be able to acheive mainstream rock success like she did with the band, but she can reach an entirely different audience, while maintaining most of her old(er) fans. She's always written good lyrics, and is a pretty good musician, so it all depends on who her back-up bands consists of. If they're good, she can make it as a solo artist.

Amy Lee may be able to do it. I'm sure her solo stuff is mostly the piano rock that she did with Evanescence (think My Immortal), and that can work. She won't be able to acheive mainstream rock success like she did with the band, but she can reach an entirely different audience, while maintaining most of her old(er) fans. She's always written good lyrics, and is a pretty good musician, so it all depends on who her back-up bands consists of. If they're good, she can make it as a solo artist.

Well, ohkay. I agree with you here, however... I have actually listened to a couple of solo works & they are not great. The work of Evanescence will always > Amy Lee's current solo stuff. That's coming from an Evanescence/Lee fan.

Oh... I have another! Joey Jordison. This man is one of the best drummers I have ever known in the modern metal world, & by that I mean bands that have surfaced in the last 1o or so years. Great asset for SlipKnoT. However, him being the guitarist/back-up vocalist for the Murderdolls?!?!?!? I know people like to diversify from drums to guitar like Dave Grohl did, but if your one of the greatest, you should stick with what brought you to the dance.

Alright, so a music post by Dewey that doesn't involve Kittie (shocked yet NSL) or Mayhem.
Anyway, my response is two fold, from the same band.

First and foremost, Andrea from the Corrs. She has a beautiful voice, that lends itself very favorably to slower songs/ballads and music with a soulful sound. About two years ago, after the Corrs had decided to go on hiatus so her brother and sisters could focus on their kids and families, Andrea decided to go a tecno-ish route. Now, I'll be the first person to admit to liking techno, but Andrea's voice is not suited for that. She should stick to the genre that brought her to the dance. And, maybe play some tinwhistle. I love her tinwhistle skills.

Secondly, her sister Sharon announced a few months ago she was recording a solo cd of her own, as her kids are getting to school age, and she's married to a nobody. Thing is, her voice isn't really suited for lead vocals. Melody/backing, yes. Just not lead. Also, it'll mean a cutback on her fiddle/violin playing. Man, she's one of the best players I've heard in years.

There ya go guys, tear it apart.

Alright, so a music post by Dewey that doesn't involve Kittie (shocked yet NSL) or Mayhem.

Not shocked. As far as I know, Morgan and Mercedes (the only original members left), have only ever done what they do now. Mercedes is a great percussionist, and sadly, doesn't have the look to do her own thing. She doesn some backing vocals on the new(er) album, but nothing too big. She's good at what she does, and has wisely stuck to it.

Morgan has always done vocals, obviously, and has added some guitar playing over the years. But, she isn't bad at all, and it was out of necessity, due to the constant changing in the band.

It is funny that I am not into these musical discussions more often, with the names being mentioned recently like Kittie, BLS, ITM... what have I been smoking to miss this! I also like this thread, I could keep this thread afloat for a long time!

Anybody know of Nightwish, the power symphonic metal quintet from Finland? A great metal band in their own right. One I enjoy alot as gothic/symphonic bands are my secret fav genre! Well, the first singer Tarja Turunen had the opera-theatrical voice who could sing normally. Those big-lunged singers, you know. Anything 2005 & before is great as she was fired from the band in 05 or 06. Shes now solo, which aint too bad... but she has been attempting an Opera career. Stick with what brought you to the dance by singing opera tones with metal riffs!!!

[115]FalKon;1251321 said:
Let me be the first to say, I am offended by your comment on Zack Wylde... granted he shouldnt be the lead vocalist, but maybe as a backup? I was going to bad rep you but I realised that you know Ot3p! Good man...

:wtf: Wait, wait wait...since when is Evanescence in any way, shape, or form a Goth band??? They're a Pop-Rock/Christian Alterntive group. And for the record, there has never been a "mainstream" Goth band besides The Cure. You could maybe argue "Black Celebration" era Depeche but that's about it.

But back to Zakk Wylde, I actually enjoy his vocals because they're just so bad. And with each album he keeps becoming more and more of a parody of himself. I just love how over-the-top he goes. His cover of "Whiter Shade of Pale" is the most ridiculously amazing rock ballad ever.

Reactions: X
It seems most solo projects from band singers don't tend to be that good- especially unfortunately it seems for women. As the dewy grass on a mountain mentioned- Andrea Corr's solo album was pretty disappointing and the same could be said for Sharleen Spiteri (I think I may have got that wrong. You guys all know who I mean though ;) ). Both produced generic, forgettable pop albums that had none of the spirit or originality of their band work. Not to turn this into a feminist, or a poor little women thread, but outside of bands women tend to go for the easy option rather than attempt to go out there and be different. Maybe could just be that everyone becomes popier and more conventional the older they get (It won't happen to me! I swear! )

Serg Tankin's, and the guitarist from Rammsteins solo albums tended to be a bit bland too, though I have to say that I liked what I have heard of eraser by Thom Yorke- not as good as Radiohead though.

On the note of people going different ways when they split from bands- any big bands you think lost their way when they go through band rotations? Ones that tend to jump to mind, are Metallica (though I think they were always destined to loose quality the older they got), Queens of the Stone Age (recently it's just Holmes band- not that I dislike- but not quite as good as their early stuff), Opeth, Red Hot Chilli Peppers (depending which version of the Chilli's you like the best, Hillel, John, or Dave)

On the note that Conning Mr Falk 115 times wrote- still yet to find anyone here who shares my taste. Seriously no one here a fan of Icelandic music? :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back