Something that does not quite with Undertaker's Character

MattBrady425

Dark Match Winner
From the time that Taker reverted back to his Deadman gimmick at WrestleMania XX, Taker's gloves bearing the brand logo on it just seems to sort of take away from his supernatural character. He didn't have the logo on them when he was the American BadAss or when he was doing his Ministry of Darkness storyline. It just seems like The Undertaker character wouldn't shop in a sports shop for his gloves. It just seems so out of character for him.

His character has never been the same sense he switched back from the badass in 2004. It just never had the same alure and mystique after that. It's a great gimmick though, very few guys that have a legitimate gimmick can pull it off for as long as the Undertaker has and make just enough subtle tweaks to keep from becoming stale.

His character has never been the same sense he switched back from the badass in 2004. It just never had the same alure and mystique after that. It's a great gimmick though, very few guys that have a legitimate gimmick can pull it off for as long as the Undertaker has and make just enough subtle tweaks to keep from becoming stale.

I feel it absolutely does still have the same alure and mystique.
I'm sure someone else did Undertakers shopping it's a weird thing to imagine Undertaker or a Freddy Krueger going shopping for their clothes.

It's just the logo on the gloves really take away from the mystique of the Deadman character. With his Big Evil gimmick, the logo on his gloves didn't seem to be so out of place.

Dude. Kayfabe doesn't exist anymore. There is even a video of Taker at the gym on this very website. Fans know he has a wife and kid(s). We know his real name. He has appeared on other TV shows and talked like a normal human being. I really don't think anyone over the age of 12 actually believes he is a zombie LOL.

I disagree about the gloves. Having a logo on them is fine. And I have no problem imagining Taker riding his motorcycle to a place that sells MMA gear to buy it. The guy signs autographs and does make a wish too.

The only thing that destroyed Undertaker's character was the booking of him as being inferior and incapable of defeating Brock Lesnar. His character and legacy could never and will never recover from the damage Lesnar did to it.

I always saw the Mania XX onwards Undertaker as a Cowboy/Biker - Deadman hybrid. Remember, he was buried in his biker persona, so I see it as being a hybrid, "he died/was buried wearing that outfit/in that gimmick".

Read between the lines. He clearly took them off a mixed martial arts fighter who died in the ring and requested that UT take them along with his soul.

But yeah, the gloves are out of character.

The Undertaker character has evolved in the recent times from the supernatural guy to a brooding badass veteran. Something very much like the Punisher from the comics or WCW crow Sting.

So it's not out of place for him to wear branded gloves and stuff.

What I do have issue with is his hair. I've never liked the cropped hair he's been having for the last few years. Makes him look stupid.

Taker is currently a cartoon character. In 2016. It doesn't really add up anymore. The very best characters are just extensions of a wrestlers true persona. I'm sure Mark Calloway isn't going about his day to day life as a guy who thinks he has supernatural powers.

The gloves are the least of the problems with the Undertaker. I mean, he's doing Vince's bidding. In 2016. He's legendary, and final boss 1B. Why in the fuck is he Vince's lackey?

I have bigger problems with Undertaker's look and aura at the moment than his gloves.
Well I do have problems with his booking rather than his gloves and looks.

1. The feud with Brock Lesnar last year and especially Summerslam match. His heel turn was dumb enough.

2. Streak End by Brock Lesnar as he didn't need the rub and ofcourse not so dominantly.

3. Winning against Wyatts at Survivor Series and making look 4 monsters dumb. 2 50 years old beating 4 monsters was bad.

4. Being Vince's man now. :shrug:

Result is that I am no more interested in him at all.

One Scenario that could work......

Taker is about to pin Shane and then Wyatt's music hits. The whole Wyatt family enters as Bray tells Taker we ain't finished Dead Man. The Wyatt Family destroys Taker allowing Shane to get the win.

Summerslam
The Undertaker vs. Bray Wyatt

I have a bunch of problems with Undertaker's look that don't involve the gloves.

He looks older than he is ... and he is already old. He still has an UNREAL work rate and puts on good/entertaining matches, so I don't really understand the reason he looks so terrible.

He looked better with the bald look. He looks ridiculous in his leotard at this point, they should make it a little less tank-topish.

I don't know ... I still watch him, still look forward to his matches ... enjoyed his feud with Lesnar (though his win should have been clean, Lesnar would have not been hurt in the slightest by that). But, despite all that I think his look is ridiculous.

Taker is currently a cartoon character. In 2016. It doesn't really add up anymore. The very best characters are just extensions of a wrestlers true persona. I'm sure Mark Calloway isn't going about his day to day life as a guy who thinks he has supernatural powers.

The gloves are the least of the problems with the Undertaker. I mean, he's doing Vince's bidding. In 2016. He's legendary, and final boss 1B. Why in the fuck is he Vince's lackey?

I agree. They did this wrong.

They should have had Taker come out and say, "No, Vince. Fuck off." Instead they have him look like a lackey. He could have said no and then SHANE could pick the fight and say he wants it. That would work better for everyone.

Same stip and everything and it would have worked. Right now, this is the guy who told Shawn Michaels no forever at WM 26 but he just says, "Yes sir" to Vince in fighting Shane McMahon?

Thing is, I respect the heck out of the Deadman, but to me he just isn't as scary any more as he used to be.

Like Kane, in 1998 he was the second scariest guy on the roster after Taker himself, look where he is now?

I agree. They did this wrong.

They should have had Taker come out and say, "No, Vince. Fuck off." Instead they have him look like a lackey. He could have said no and then SHANE could pick the fight and say he wants it. That would work better for everyone.

Same stip and everything and it would have worked. Right now, this is the guy who told Shawn Michaels no forever at WM 26 but he just says, "Yes sir" to Vince in fighting Shane McMahon?

Telling Vince McMahon to F off? Even Steve Austin would never have done that back in the Attitude Era!

Yeah I don't understand why Taker is being put in a lackey role it doesn't make much since.

Maybe Vince McMahon has the Undertakers urn?

That would be something to use to make since of this.

The only thing that destroyed Undertaker's character was the booking of him as being inferior and incapable of defeating Brock Lesnar. His character and legacy could never and will never recover from the damage Lesnar did to it.

If 'Taker wants to wear MMA gloves he's gonna get an MMA style whooping.

The Undertaker debut as an undead juggernaut whose power came from a mystical urn. Now he's not that. Much like Kane going from unstoppable demon to guy who gets beat a lot, I've given up on suspending my disbelief when it comes to Taker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back