Slammy Awards 2016

NotoriousWWE

Pre-Show Stalwart
As Decemeber approaches so does WWE's annual ceremonial event, the Slammy Awards. Now for the previous few years I think its safe to say the event hasnt really lived up to the hype. Last year's was especially critisized for lack of winners actually attending the show. Anyway here i'm going to predict some of the awards. Feel free to do so to.

Superstar of the Year
Nominees: AJ Styles, Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose, The Miz, John Cena, Seth Rollins

Winner: AJ Styles

I was stuck between Styles and Owens and went with a guy who has spent the past year beating up John Cena. My dark horse for this award is Ambrose because the fans love him. Styles deserves it though.

Match of the Year
Nominees: John Cena vs AJ Styles (Summerslam), Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn (Battleground), Dean Ambrose vs Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins (Battleground), Sasha Banks vs Charlotte (RAW July 25)

Winner: John Cena vs AJ Styles

I found it hard picking a winner for this. Owens vs Zayn is slyly my favourite but I can see Styles gaining yet another award because Cena and himself did put on a spectacle. Shame I couldn't mention Ziggler vs Miz at Backlashand No Mercy, those matches had me really invested in them.

Women of the Year
Nominees: Sasha Banks, Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Natalya

Winner: Charlotte

This wasn't even close.

Suprise return
Nominees: Shane McMahon, Seth Rollins, Nikki Bella, Sami Zayn, John Cena

Winner: Shane McMahon

Tough one this but I went with the biggest reaction from both the crowd and the wrestling world as a whole and Shane's return was huge. Cena's WM return and Seth's redemption ran it close.

Tag Team of the Year
Nominees: The New Day, Gallows and Anderson, The Usos, Enzo and Cass

Winners: New Day

I SHOULD be saying Gallows and Anderson who SHOULD have been tag team champions for months now, but im not im picking a stable who I feel have ran their course, I cant remember the last time I found one of their segments entertaining.

Shocking moment of the year
Nominees: Seth Rollins returns and hits Roman Reigns with a pedigree, Triple H returns to cost Rollins the WWE Universal Title, The Miz's shoot-like outburst on Talking Smack, Dean Ambrose cashes in MITB, Finn Balor's debut night on RAW, AJ Styles debuts in the Royal Rumble

Winner: Triple H's return

I would actually give this to Balor if he wasn't injured and had the Universal title still because that debut night would be so signifcant in his career. Unfortunatelty it paved the way for the biggest moment of the year which was Triple H turning on his boy Rollins and handing the Universal title to Kevin Owens.

Extreme Moment

Winner: Shane McMahon jumps off the HIAC at WrestleMania

Funny Moment

Winner: Chris Jericho introduces us to the list

Breakout star of the year
Nominees: Finn Balor, Sami Zayn, Big Cass, Baron Corbin, Apollo Crews

Winner: Finn Balor

Who else? His debut night on RAW is enough to give him this award. When he returns from injury he'll be going straight back into that main event scene on RAW.

Going with your layout in a kayfabe world.

Superstar of the Year
Nominees: AJ Styles, Roman Reigns, Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose, The Miz, John Cena, Seth Rollins

Winner: Roman Reigns

Held the WWE WHC twice during 2016. Has recently added the United States Championship. Aside from Lesnar, most dominant single force in the WWE.

Match of the Year
Nominees: John Cena vs AJ Styles (Summerslam), Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn (Battleground), Dean Ambrose vs Roman Reigns vs Seth Rollins (Battleground), Sasha Banks vs Charlotte (RAW July 25)

Separates itself from other good matches b/c of the legit mega stars involved.

Women of the Year

Charlotte has proven she is superior to every other woman on the roster.

Suprise return

Completely unexpected. An a massive reaction and a marquee match at WM.

Tag Team of the Year

Their Tag Championship speaks for itself.

Nominees: Seth Rollins returns and hits Roman Reigns with a pedigree, Triple H returns to cost Rollins the WWE Universal Title, The Miz's shoot-like outburst on Talking Smack, Dean Ambrose cashes in MITB, Finn Balor's debut night on RAW, AJ Styles debuts in the Royal Rumble

Winner: Dean's Cash In

The seeming third wheel strikes while the iron is hot and steals the spotlight from his fellow stable mates. In doing so he claimed the top prize in all the wrestling world.

Winner: Finn Balor of those listed but a more fitted choice in a kayfabe world would be AJ Styles.

Nice run in his debut at the Rumble. Great program with Jericho. Became a contender to the title with three months of debut. Went over in feud against Cena. Won the WWE World Title. Just an all around impressive first nine months.

I agree with every category and winner except for "Shocker" and "breakout star".
-Shocker should go to either Triple H or Miz.

-Breakout star, I would give it to TJ P. Balor did become the first universal champion, but he really wasn't able to "breakout"/takeoff due to injury.

You did leave out:

Rivalry of the Year
I think Cena and AJ would win this, but I personally would give it to Charlotte vs Sasha.

I also kind of wish they would do a "champion of the year" award. Just who held their championship with prestige, longevity, dominance, etc.

The Slammy Awards are very, very, very hit and miss and perhaps the single biggest problem is that not only do they not matter, WWE doesn't put any sort of effort into making them feel like they matter. What I find myself hoping is that they simply go the route of what we saw with the NXT year end awards last year in that they're treated seriously rather than just some "sports entertainment" throwaway. For instance, I'd simply name the categories as follows:

Male Superstar of the Year
Female Superstar of the Year
Best Match of the Year
Best Tag Team of the Year
Breakout Star of the Year

I'd probably try to come up with another few categories, but I wouldn't go the usual route of creating categories that exist entirely for the purpose of simply bringing someone out on stage. What I mean is: don't do some sort of "extreme" category just to give it to Shane because we all know that nothing remotely comes close to him leaping off top of the Cell at WrestleMania. Maybe go the route of simply having something like the Most Shocking Moment of the Year as it could combine Shane's leap with other genuinely shocking moments like Triple H's return & subsequent turn on Seth Rollins, Brock Lesnar's utter dominance over Randy Orton at SummerSlam, etc.

In NXT don't they award a Male & Female plus an overall Super Star of the Year? If they opted to go this route I could see Charlotte making a strong run at the overall Super Star award. In nine months and a weeks time she has already put together a very impressive resume. Final Diva's Champion, 2x & First Women's Champion, Undefeated at PPV/Special Events, Raw Main Events, High Profile Programs and One of the Top All Around Performers. She can easily add to this by years end. Possibly another title reign, main event a ppv/special event or work a major speciality match.

Going with your layout in a kayfabe world.

Superstar of the Year

Winner: Roman Reigns

Held the WWE WHC twice during 2016. Has recently added the United States Championship. Aside from Lesnar, most dominant single force in the WWE.

Match of the Year

Separates itself from other good matches b/c of the legit mega stars involved.

Women of the Year

Charlotte has proven she is superior to every other woman on the roster.

Suprise return

Completely unexpected. An a massive reaction and a marquee match at WM.

Tag Team of the Year

Their Tag Championship speaks for itself.

Winner: Dean's Cash In

The seeming third wheel strikes while the iron is hot and steals the spotlight from his fellow stable mates. In doing so he claimed the top prize in all the wrestling world.

Winner: Finn Balor of those listed but a more fitted choice in a kayfabe world would be AJ Styles.

Nice run in his debut at the Rumble. Great program with Jericho. Became a contender to the title with three months of debut. Went over in feud against Cena. Won the WWE World Title. Just an all around impressive first nine months.
I would post all nominations later but about bolded part, I want to say something.

You're right. Reigns was WWE WHC twice. Now he's won United States title. But if we take your way in consideration, Ambrose should be the superstar of the year. He has had InterContinental title, Money In The Bank briefcase and World Championship. A clean win over John Cena.

I don't think that it's Ambrose in my book but by the way, you decided, it should be Ambrose.

ShinChan™;5589183 said:
I would post all nominations later but about bolded part, I want to say something.

You're right. Reigns was WWE WHC twice. Now he's won United States title. But if we take your way in consideration, Ambrose should be the superstar of the year. He has had InterContinental title, Money In The Bank briefcase and World Championship. A clean win over John Cena.

I don't think that it's Ambrose in my book but by the way, you decided, it should be Ambrose.

Ambrose would be right there in the running but he just wasn't or hasn't been as dominant as Reigns. Nor as he help the same high profile position for as long as Reigns. I also put a lot of weight on their WM season runs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back