Should WWE make a WCW one night stand

ECW had a cult following and a selection of die hard fans that would have paid through the nose to make sure they watched that PPV.

WCW, or any part of WCW that people were really bothered about was put into WWE and became part of the show anyway, Hogan, the NWO, Goldberg.

With Guerrero & Benoit dead, and every other wrestler iether in the indies, retired or contracted to TNA....and ofcourse in their Late 40's or in some cases 60's I don't see much market for an all WCW OldSkool PPV.
Maybe 10 years ago or so, but not now.

Too late for something like this to go down. Many of the good names you'd want are dead or too washed up and you can't get Hogan or Sting.

Prefer they just pump out more WCW DVD's.

I am a WCW fan. That said, no, I don't. Everyone who was big in WCW is old, retired, in TNA or all three. Right now all Vince would do is use the PPV to try to make people who liked WCW feel guilty for liking WCW in its prime. So let it stay dead.

I would say no.

People forget that a lot of WCW fans really never liked Vince or the WWF, thought it was too cartoony/soap opera and drifted away from being full time wrestling fans when the company went south (no pun intended).

They won't come back to watch to a WCWWE product

Great American Bash was it... though I am still a little nonplussed as to why we have "Night Of Champions" when "Clash Of The Champions" is a much better title for a PPV.

For the reasons others have stated it won't work, nostalgia for WCW doesn't work without the best guys, the best guys are nowhere near working for WWE and even if they did, they are horribly washed up compared to even 10 years ago when it should have been done right.

Best they could manage would be Goldberg, Steiner, Booker and Jericho. Which is pointless. Also WCW raises the Benoit spectre again, as he was integral to a large part of WCW's library/history. I watched one of the Legends roundtables and was stunned to still see Benoit on there, you'd have to excise most of the US, TV and even some World title history of WCW. Which is awkward as Benoit v Booker for example was a defining moment.

Vince should have left WCW as a seperate entity in 2001, let Shane run it and it'd still be there today. He didn't, so it's dead... let it rot like so many of the guys who were there want it to.

It sounds like a much better idea on paper than it actually is. WWE should have made a WCW One Night Stand type of show many years ago, before the ECW one, in fact. It's too late now because nearly everyone who they would need is in TNA or retired/dead. Booker and Jericho cannot do the entire show alone. WWE did keep the Great American Bash PPV event name for a few years, we got the United States Championship, and the World Heavyweight Championship's design came from the WCW Championship.

I'd liked to have seen more WCW exclusives make it onscreen in WWE such as Starrcade at the very least, but the time for that has come and gone just as the opportunity to put on a WCW One Night Stand show. It's far too late at this point unless you want to see a bunch of jobbers get squashed by Jericho or Booker, that's basically all the show would be, and MAYBE some cameo appearances by guys too old to do anything anymore. That would be a waste of time for a PPV. Perhaps filler for a Raw, but not a full PPV event, I guarantee you that it would do terribly financially. Most WCW fans either watch TNA/WWE, or have completely moved on.

It really does kind of astonish me that this topic comes up on the forums every few months. The quick answer is NO. ECW had a cult following. Fans chant ECW still 11 years later. I have YET to hear fans chanting WCW during a match. Maybe I will start doing this the next time I'm at a match and it sucks.

I only believe this would work on the basis that an evil GM was RAW manager and he was trying to invade WWE to get revenge on them for destroying WCW. I have no idea who would be best in that role (Sting probably), and have a few old school wcw wrestlers making the matches but not appearing... I can't think of anyone who was good in WCW that is no longer past it (or sadly no longer with us).

Best thing would be to have sting come to WWE and have McMahon goad him in the ring about destroying WCW. I'd then turn that in to an angle where Sting challenges Undertaker to a match at WM.

It would have been good to have a WCW revenge quarter (like after mania to summerslam about 6 years ago) but everyone who was good in WCW is long past it... am I wrong?

I don't really see the purpose of it. Most of the WCW roster, at least the wrestlers that the vast majority of today's fans remember and would want to see, have either left the business, are getting pretty long in the tooth or are currently working for TNA.

Off the top of my head, a WCW One Night Stand could only be a success if you were able to bring in guys like Bill Goldberg, Hulk Hogan, DDP, Ric Flair, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Sting, maybe Syxx (AKA X-Pac), Ricky Steamboat and some others. WWE could swing appearances from guys like Stone Cold Steve Austin, Steamboat, Flair, Nash & X-Pac pretty easily. Probably DDP and Vader as well. Goldberg would probably only show up if Vince paid him the moon and stars, which Vince isn't willing to do and is why Goldberg hasn't been seen in a WWE ring for almost a decade. Scott Hall's a mess, Hogan, Bischoff & Sting are working for TNA. It'd be a nice treat to see Flair & Steamboat and other guys as well but, let's face it, the VAST majority of guys that were significant stars in WWE are men who shouldn't be wrestling or even trying to wrestle due to age & generally poor physical condition. I'm sure there are a few other guys I've left out, but those're some of the more relevant ones.

ECW is a promotion that had a cult following and the cult was comprised of mostly rabid fans that ate up the product and thought of the wrestlers as living gods. I was never a huge ECW fan and feel that the VAST majority of their roster was comprised of highly overrated, talentless hacks that couldn't put on a match without chairs or tables or kendo sticks or whatever. However that small, cult status of ECW is part of what allowed One Night Stand to work.

It's an idea that sounds interesting on paper. It'd be fun to see some of the WCW guys but I wouldn't pay to watch the VAST majority of them to wrestle anymore because they just can't go. It might be a fun thing to do for an Old School Raw in which some stars of WCW, including guys back in the days in which it was still the Mid-Atlantic territory. That way, guys like the Horsemen could appear, maybe Lex Luger, Steamboat and some others. It'd have the potential to be a great, fun nostalgia show but I certainly wouldn't buy a ppv.

I am going to repeat the chorus with a rising No.

It works with ECW because there are still fans out there that think wrestling is all about how much blood you can get out of superstars. The dumber the idea the bigger the ecw pop. I am glad the Hardy's and Edge and Christian decided to head to WWE rather than ECW. Their careers would have been shorten way more because in ECW their is no limit to the stupid shit. I was never and ECW fan to me it was like watching over paid backyard wrestling.

WCW on the other hand wasn't a program that stood for anything other than real wrestling and crappy promos. ( OZ, Vinny Vegas, LWO, BWO) If you look at the superstars from WCW ( pre WWE invasion, NWO). Even if you don't see it that way NwO was majority of old WWE guys. The guys would all be well into their retirement age.

The name of some of the PPV should be used but other than that, WCW is dead and their is no reason to bring the dead back to life. Besides the old WCW fans that hated WWE are watching TNA right now.

Even without Hollywood Hogan, Sting, Eric Bischoff, Jeff Jarrett....i could easily book a show that fans would want to see & if promoted well it would easily draw.

Goldberg's return match alone would draw.
Big Show as The Giant can still go as can Kevin Nash, Syxx, Booker T & Chris Jericho.
Scott Steiner still has gas in tank. Ric Flair can easily be used in some capacity & can still talk people into seats. Vader & Cactus Jack could put on a respectable match. Diamond Dallas Page is healthy enough to wrestle & would with right opponent. Great Muta is a freelancer now in Japan (i believe) & he can still go with best of them.

Sid Vicious, Rey Mysterio Jr., Juventud Guerrera, Nasty Boys, Fit Finlay, Steven Regal, Hugh Morrus, Shannon Moore, Shane Helms, Jamie Knoble...

You could even have Richie Steamboat w/Ricky Steamboat vs. Cody Rhodes w/Dusty Rhodes. Hell even Vader's son is in FCW.

Plenty of talent to do a show that people would buy & be interested in. Plenty of names i have not even mentioned either who are still healthy (Dean Malenko isn't one of them).

I don't think they should do a WCW One Night Stand per se, but a WCW themed event would be cool. Like a previous poster said, Clash of the Champions is a much better name than Night of Champions. They had no problem doing the Great American Bash, even if they did just turn it into a shit smackdown show, so I don't see why they can't do other events. The reason they can't do it like the ECW ONS is because the talent is just not there and there isn't much else to associate with WCW than the particular events and the talent. Plus, a lot of the talent is now so associated with WWE that it wouldn't be worthwhile to put them in a WCW light, unlike ECW where no matter what the majority were seen as ECW guys and more importantly there were key guys from ECW not yet in the E that they could bring in. I have said once and will say it many times, the WWE should take some of the great ideas WCW did have, things like War Games, Halloween Havoc, and Clash of the Champions were all great ideas that the WWE could use and would be better than what they currently have in place for where those events could go i.e. elimination chamber, whatever is in october, and night of champions.

Don't get me wrong there are still some "interesting" talent around you could muster, a Fit Finlay, Booker T. Scott Steiner, Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, and cruiserweights, but cast all that aside and think about this, 80% of WCW pre attitude era was something stupid, are you going to try and convince Marc Mero to dress like Johnny B Badd for one night? Are you going to have Buff Bagwell team up with his mom? I mean there is not enough tier talent from WCW to carry a PPV, despite the cult following of ECW many were amazed at the reception ONS recieved, but thats just it WCW is not PPV quality, maybe on a 3 hour RAW special or something maybe just maybe you could do a one time thing, but honestly do you think the not so old WCW stars can really put on a show you will care about?

WCW ended more than 10 years ago and there are enough keystone people who would either not be available or not be in any shape to compete. So, in a word: no.

I would like to see a wcw themed raw though kinda similar to the old school raw with the old nitro set and stuff. It just would be fun to see it again but as people have said it wouldnt be worth a ppv due to the majority of main wcw stars being either retired or with tna or sadly dead. In my opinion it would just turn into vinces version of how he saw wcw which would not be good.I reckon it would still be worth spending a raw on this idea though.

And how many of the "PG" rated kids, WWE's target audience now, even know, or care, about WCW, Nitro, or the Monday Night Wars. Most of these Cena shirt-wearing kids coudn't name more than 2 or 3 WCW guys anyway.

TIme to look to the future and quit living the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back