Should it be socially accepted for black people to say the N-word?

Yes, anybody can use that word as long as they don't use it to offend a black person. If blacks want to get offended if that word is being said, that's their issue. As long as it's not being used to insult anyone, it should be fine.. Black people can use it whenever the fuck they want because they're black, it's their word. A lot of black people don't get offended if whites use that word either, depending on the context.

Yes, anybody can use that word as long as they don't use it to offend a black person. If blacks want to get offended if that word is being said, that's their issue. As long as it's not being used to insult anyone, it should be fine.. Black people can use it whenever the fuck they want because they're black, it's their word. A lot of black people don't get offended if whites use that word either, depending on the context.

It most certainly is not. No one can lay claim to owning any word, even the ones we deem offensive. Blacks don't own the word any more than whites or Jews or Serbians do. No one does. It's a term. It transcends these arbitrary categories you think have authority over its use or meaning.

And frankly, offense-taking is one of the last reasons I can think of to not do something. People often boast we live in a litigious society (a myth, for the record) — I'd argue we actually live in a politically correct one that is deeply rooted in this absurd notion that we should actively avoid offending anyone. That line of thinking is what is directly responsible for all this "safe space", regressive Leftist nonsense you are seeing on the internet and on college campuses around the globe.

If you want to live with your head in the sand, skating through life hoping to avoid ever being upset by reality, by all means. Just don't expect the rest of us to join you.

Oh, and if this offends you... good. Use that emotion to think critically about why you feel that way. Formulate a response and let's have an actual discussion about this so I can explain with even greater detail more why it matters. :D

It should be acceptable for anyone to say the word quite frankly. Anytime I hear an black person say "you have no right saying that, that's OUR word" I just want to slap them upside the head and say "You don't get a monopoly on certain words mother fucker, it doesn't work like that". The offense of such a word or any word really isn't on the word itself as it's the context the word is used in. Whenever I say it (which is A LOT) I never mean it in a negative connotation, it's usually just use it in slang to refer to a friend which is pretty much the only way I see it used these days outside of a few incidents. Another example would be the word gay, it can be used in many different ways and most of them aren't derogatory, why is it your problem if someone gets offended when the word is said?

The way I see it unless I'm using the word to attack you or someone you like/love personally then you really shouldn't get upset when the word is used and even then I would suggest not to get too upset about it either. Working on Indian reserves as long as I did I lost count on how many times I was called a Honky/Cracker/Whitey in a derogatory manner, it happened all the time but I'm not going to get offended and get my undergarments in a bunch, life's too short for that shit.

At the end of the day it's only a word, instead of getting upset it was said take the time to figure out why it bothers you. I understand sometimes people can say things that can hurt you deeply but when it comes down to it the best course of action will always be to figure out why and work on it not bothering you so much. If someone says something hurtful to me I figure out if it's true and if it's worth being upset about. Most of the time I realize it's either not true or not worth getting upset about so I move on from it, the few times it is true and worth getting upset about it there's always been something I can do on my end to fix it.

It should be acceptable for anyone to say the word quite frankly. Anytime I hear an black person say "you have no right saying that, that's OUR word" I just want to slap them upside the head and say "You don't get a monopoly on certain words mother fucker, it doesn't work like that". The offense of such a word or any word really isn't on the word itself as it's the context the word is used in. Whenever I say it (which is A LOT) I never mean it in a negative connotation, it's usually just use it in slang to refer to a friend which is pretty much the only way I see it used these days outside of a few incidents. Another example would be the word gay, it can be used in many different ways and most of them aren't derogatory, why is it your problem if someone gets offended when the word is said?

The way I see it unless I'm using the word to attack you or someone you like/love personally then you really shouldn't get upset when the word is used and even then I would suggest not to get too upset about it either. Working on Indian reserves as long as I did I lost count on how many times I was called a Honky/Cracker/Whitey in a derogatory manner, it happened all the time but I'm not going to get offended and get my undergarments in a bunch, life's too short for that shit. Frankly if I'm the one getting bothered or offended by those words then I should probably take a hard look at myself and understand why those words bother me and try and fix that on my end.

Even if you are using it to attack me or someone I like or love, it doesn’t matter. Being upset is not the same as being right, and being upset is not a logical reason to ban or limit speech.

Harm is. It’s literally the only logical reason to support such measures, as evidenced by Schenck v. United States (1919).

That PC culture I was talking about earlier (also known as outrage culture)? About the only thing outrageous about it is the lengths it’ll go to silence free speech in the name of something as innocuous and non-tangible as hurt feelings.

Even if you are using it to attack me or someone I like or love, it doesn’t matter. Being upset is not the same as being right, and being upset is not a logical reason to ban or limit speech.

Harm is. It’s literally the only logical reason to support such measures, as evidenced by Schenck v. United States (1919).

That PC culture I was talking about earlier (also known as outrage culture)? About the only thing outrageous about it is the lengths it’ll go to silence free speech in the name of something as innocuous and non-tangible as hurt feelings.

I'm just pointing out a word or hateful thing can make a person upset and if it does it's really up to them to figure it out and get over it but under no circumstances should there be a ban on speech and I would never argue that because quite frankly that's bullshit, I should be able to say what I want, when I want and however I want to say it and if someone gets upset about it that's their cross to bear. Being upset doesn't mean you're right, it just means you have feelings that you haven't learned to control yet.

I'm about the least PC guy you'll ever talk to at the core and I honestly think it's one of the worst things that can happen to society myself. The fact is people take this PC bullshit WAY too far, my kid can't even sing a Christmas Carol at school because it might offend some whiny asshole. To me political correctness is essentially duct taping a leaky pipe instead of actually fixing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back