Should I do so?

Discussion in 'The GSD Archives' started by ShinChan, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Should I start reviewing wrestling stuff?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hyorinmaru

Hyorinmaru Sit Upon The Frozen Heavens
    E-Fed Mod

It's annoying to read as well

2. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

Ain't is actually an accepted abbreviation for "am not", like if Braun Strowman shouted "I AIN'T FINISHED WITH YOU!" before tossing Roman Reigns into a minefield, it would be totally appropriate according to Merriam Webster.

3. ShinChan

ShinChan Gone. For. Good.

When did that happen?

Also, minefield. You never fail to add another word to my vocabulary.

*Requests Bayley to give you a hug*

4. enviousdominous

It was either in a network special or I imagined the whole thing.

Braun threw Roman into a minefield, all the mines exploded and Roman stumbled away. Braun then ran over Roman with a golfcart, dropped an anvil on his groin, made him eat a lit firecracker and summoned a meteor to smash into him. I honestly think that Roman gets off on it.

5. ShinChan

When you're joining WWE Creative? At least, I'll watch everything written by you and be entertained.

6. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

I already have to deal with idiots passing kayfabe promos as ''interviews'' and promotions hounding me about how I dig up stuff. I don't need an idiot with an identity crisis too.

ShinChan likes this.
  7. Lee

Lee Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No it's Supermod!
    Staff Member Super Moderator E-Fed Mod

It's been a week since you posted the thread. Let's see a review.

8. therockiswwf

therockiswwf The voice of Michael Cole's headset

Ain't is associated with dumb people. Doesn't matter if some dictionary says it is a word. Don't use it.

Also, how many tissues was Braun Strowman vs Roman Reigns at Payback worth? Seems like a lot of people liked it. Eager to hear your view on it.

9. Navi

Navi With the safety off!!

This is pretty much it Kapu. Using the word "ain't" is seen as the user being uneducated or lazy. Not the best word to use.

I would be interested to see a review from you on a match from Payback as well. Any match would do.

10. Sai the Uganda Guy

Sai the Uganda Guy I kno da wae

The first time I saw this thread it was just the original post and the first couple replies. Quite the blowup since then.
    Do it, I'll read em. I myself previously had interest in reviewing, but I came to find myself preferring just to read reviews of others and debating amongst myself my stance on their points.

ShinChan likes this.
  11. Khalifa

Khalifa Where it at doe?

The English language has silent fucking letters kapu, if saying ain't is lazy it's because you haven't put in something that makes no sense in it, so I wouldn't really worry about that. Although I tend to agree that ain't isn't the best word, i just cannot accept that it shouldn't be used. Not that Navi or Rock or GSB etc have made this rule or trying to enforce it, it just seems silly the general thought about ain't is lazy when the English language is the most ******ed thing. Silent letters, having c when there is already S and K, PH makes an f sounds. Like come on, nothing is already more ******ed than the language so don't feel like you are limited to a set of words. I would rather be simple than add unnecessary shit.

ShinChan likes this.
  12. therockiswwf

Perception is important here. The perception of ain't is that stupid people use it. There are better words that can be used in place of ain't. If someone I did not know started using the word ain't, I would assume they are not that smart. That is the perception of the word. I wouldn't try to fight this. There is really no way to win this type of battle. The stigma of the word is pretty much set in stone.

13. Stone Cold Tea

Stone Cold Tea Getting Noticed By Management

I think it's a shame you'd judge someone's intellect on how they speak. The beautiful thing about language is it takes many forms. Think of all the accents and slang.

ShinChan likes this.
  14. therockiswwf

I agree that judging a book by its cover is not fair. This is not to say I would never get past something like this. Initially my perception of the person would not be good. Try using the word ain't and you'll find out that I am not alone in this view. People are not rational beings. It should not matter that someone uses ain't. Unfortunately, it does.

15. ShinChan

As for the review, time issues won't permit me now. Finals have started and I'll have little time to do. Considering the format I'll use, it will require a good amount of time which I'll be able to do only after the finals.

Sorry for the lateness.

16. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

There's a difference between having an accent and using a word that didn't used to be recognized as an official word.

ShinChan likes this.
  17. Slyfox696

Slyfox696 Excellence of Execution

The problem with "ain't" is that no educated person will write it. It's one thing to use the word in casual speech...slang is understandable there, if not expected. But writing is different, as one has far more time to consider the verbage being used. I very rarely use the word "ain't" in everyday life, but I know there are times I do, because it's fairly common in the area of the county I live. But you will never see me write it, unless I'm using it intentionally for a specific purpose.

I don't know if I judge a person's intellect if they use the word "ain't" in writing, but I certainly judge their education and knowledge of the language.

18. enviousdominous

English itself is a pretty whacked out language. We have words that are spelled idiotically like "idiotically" where you'd look like a raving buffoon if you spelled that same word as "idioticly". We're programmed to accept rules of spelling and grammar that at their core are based on pretentious assholes' whims.

We have words that are spelled the way they are for literally no fucking reason except that we just fucking do it that way and we're proud of that, words like "little" where you'll be chastised for being a cro-magnon neckbeard if you dared to spell it as "littel". But it's totally okay for you to brag about your novel about an angel that's on a different level.

Then there's words like "debt" and "receipt" that only have silent consonants to remind one of their origins, which is pretty fucking stupid considering that if it mattered that much to you to understand the etymology of a word you'd have had to look up its origins anyway.

19. Stone Cold Tea

Stone Cold Tea Getting Noticed By Management

It's all ilerrevent aynway so lnog as the frsit and lsat leettr are wehre tehy need to be.

20. Fire Marshall Bill

Fire Marshall Bill Let me show ya somethin!!!

I've always found it funny that the word "phonetic", given it's meaning, is not easy to spell.

21. enviousdominous

There's also the word "pedant", which when used as a pejorative outs the person who used it as a pedant.