Say It Ain't So Joe

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
The rumours have been swirling for a year or two now. Joe Sakic, one of the NHL's best is probably going to announce his retirement on Thursday. The British Columbia superstar who won a couple of cups in Colorado with the Avalanche will be missed. Talk about his incredible career here if you like.

Not surprising, he's been in the NHL like 20 years, right? He was pretty awesome, he actually made the Avalance relevent and led them to a championship. I'm pretty sure he'll be a Hall of Famer, but he hasn't been effective for awhile now.

injuries have taken a toll on him recently, but at an older age, that can't be a shocker. This is sad, as the old Canadian guard that I grew up watching, Sakic, Yzerman, Lemieux, all the good ol' boys are going away. He will be in the Hall of Fame with ease. After that career, it would be hard not to put him there.

At least the NHL looks like it's in good hands with a future crop of stars like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kane, and Nash. Guys like Sakic made the league great and very popular before the lockout, hopefully the NHL will regain that popularity sometime in the next few years with some of the young superstars currently in the league.

I am very sad to see this great man and hockey player retire. He is a true professional and one of the best hockey players of all time. I didn't see this coming because I really thought he would come back for one more season to help mentor Matt Duchene. But he has been injured last season so maybe he body can't do it anymore. Hockey is going to lose a great player.

Well I hope, and can promise you he won't leave the NHL for long. A man that loved hockey this much will be around in some way. Imagine him and Roy running the Avalanche together, General Manager and Coach perhaps? Sakic is a true great, and one of the most wise players to ever play hockey. Him as coach would be a great fit, barring the Player/Coach curse.

Ya it wouldn't surprise me to see Sakic involved in the business aspect of a hockey team. I haven't gotten any indication of him coaching, but it may cross his mind later on. Colorado will look to keep him in the organization for sure. He should be a great help to a rebuilding Avalanche team behind the scenes.

Sakic was a great player. It sucks a little that he's retiring, mostly because it makes me feel old. Hopefully a team will see that he's still valuable as a coach/trainer, and get him involved with their young guys.

When Forsberg retired, we all knew he'd be gone, because he was going back to Sweden. But, Sakic is from North America (as you stated), and hopefully that means he'll stay relevant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back