Same Sex Marriage Legalized In All 50 States But It's Still Not Over

Sorry folks, went on a week-long trip with my family to Florida. I don't know if you wanna continue here, but what the heck.

That's a whole lot of conjecture to assume Catholic Beliefs were an influence on a Constitution that was rather explicitly clear to keep America away from a Religious theocracy, but hey if you wanna make that argument, Catholic influence would explain why had Slavery in America up until the 1800's.

Not so much Catholic as it was protestant. In fact, many Catholic figures in history (Such as Pope Paul the Third condemning the act of slavery as well as acts to justify it in his 1500s work, Sublimis Deus, or Pope Urban the Eighth, who outlawed the trade of Brazillian slaves). Catholic Mexico circa 1820s didn't allow slavery period. However, yes this is true, religious influence kept slavery going as long as it did, however not just Catholics.

You should, and personally I don't care if you want to marry your own sister. The point is you're comparing sexual orientation with something that quite frankly isn't sexual orientation. It would be like comparing race with racing motorcycles.

You don't care that someone wants to marry their own sister? Or that the kids resulting from it are going to be completely screwed up? And yes, it is sexual orientation, its being attracted to your own family members.

The United States doesn't operate on what you think is natural law. Besides that, if reproduction is such a concern for married couples, should the state demand fertility tests and for those who fail or banned from marriage?

Come on, that's crazy and you know it. All I am saying is think of the children a bit, as well as their well-being. Marriage is meant to be the beginning of a family, and for healthy children to be produced. Yes, it is true some couples are sterile.

That scientific info as to why Homosexual marriage is bad is so lofty, seeing as you haven't once mentioned it until now. At this point, I'm gonna assume you're just talking out of your ass. The only major opposition to SSM has, and always will be Religious Conservatives.

Its because it begins a whole new slew of special rights. Those "Anti-Discrimination" laws will basically say "you cant fire us or we will sue your pants off". Don't believe me? Hee hee, you wait.

No one said you shouldn't have morals or that your morality is wrong. But rather your morality, and any other religious morality should not dictate how the nation operates.

no, but it should help influence those in charge. At least a little.

You didn't answer the question. Do you think a religious person could a "Whites only" on their place of business and discriminate against people of color based on their religious views? What if an entire town practiced that religion, or >70% of the country?

if that place happened to be a Church of their sort, then yes, they have the freedom of religion to do so. No, I do not think that an entire town should be allowed to discriminate against other people who might be a different race.

But, I see where you are going with this.

Discrimination against race and against gay marriage are very, very different. Race is, well, race. it cannot be changed. Nowhere in the doctrine of the Catholic Church does it say "death to black people!! fuck Asians! Hispanics can go to hell!" Now, gay marriage is not deserving of death threats either, but it is backwards and unnatural, and thus is why we are against it.

How on Earth did you manage to avoid the question to the point where you made another stupid point that is irrelevant to the discussion? No one is denying your right to hate the queers, Torgo. But what the country has found itself doing again is repeating history with discrimination from businesses.

Perhaps, and it is wrong to discriminate in general. But as in the 1960s, public opinion overruled the individual rights of the business owner. Yes, it sounds harsh, but it is true! And the exact same thing is happening here. But hey, gays! rainbows! woo hoo!

Polygamy/Incest are unnatural? Have you not owned a couple of pets? Incest, and multiple sex partners exist in abundance in nature. There is literally hundreds of species among mammals alone that exhibit homosexual behavior alone. Hell, homosexual behavior was a well recorded behavior for as far back as we can discover. Homosexuals clearly existed in the Greeks, Romans, Mesopotamians, and it's even documented in the bible. To try and claim homosexuality is "unnatural" is absolutely bonkers.

I never said it did not exist; hell there are lots of unnatural things that exist. Gay animals are some of them.

Yes, I ignored some responses, mostly because it wouldn't be anything different than what I said before.

Happy Late Independence day, btw.

Not so much Catholic as it was protestant. In fact, many Catholic figures in history (Such as Pope Paul the Third condemning the act of slavery as well as acts to justify it in his 1500s work, Sublimis Deus, or Pope Urban the Eighth, who outlawed the trade of Brazillian slaves). Catholic Mexico circa 1820s didn't allow slavery period. However, yes this is true, religious influence kept slavery going as long as it did, however not just Catholics.

There were also popes that not only condoned slavery, but actually had given permission to nations like Spain to enslave non-Christians and basically enemies of Spain. I don't want a religion like that anywhere near our government. Nor any religion for that matter.

You don't care that someone wants to marry their own sister? Or that the kids resulting from it are going to be completely screwed up? And yes, it is sexual orientation, its being attracted to your own family members.

First off, yes. I feel if you want to marry your sibling or your relative go ahead. I would never marry my sister, or my father but it isn't my place to say for two other people do in their personal lives.

But secondly, I can't stress enough that incest IS NOT a sexual orientation. Not only is that poorly worded that would imply someone is only sexual attracted to members of their family exclusively. How could someone be so obtuse to not understand this?

Come on, that's crazy and you know it. All I am saying is think of the children a bit, as well as their well-being. Marriage is meant to be the beginning of a family, and for healthy children to be produced. Yes, it is true some couples are sterile.

Who says Marriage is supposed to be anything?

Its because it begins a whole new slew of special rights. Those "Anti-Discrimination" laws will basically say "you cant fire us or we will sue your pants off". Don't believe me? Hee hee, you wait.

More baseless paranoia.

no, but it should help influence those in charge. At least a little.

No, dear sweet Talos no. I don't want people to make decisions on how to run this country by listening to their imaginary friend.

if that place happened to be a Church of their sort, then yes, they have the freedom of religion to do so. No, I do not think that an entire town should be allowed to discriminate against other people who might be a different race.

Then you agree, mob rule discrimination is wrong. There shouldn't be any more nuance to this.

But, I see where you are going with this.

Discrimination against race and against gay marriage are very, very different.

No, no there really isn't. And it's absolutely crazy to watch you do these mental gymnastics to defend the brand of bigotry and discrimination you like.

Race is, well, race. it cannot be changed. Nowhere in the doctrine of the Catholic Church does it say "death to black people!! fuck Asians! Hispanics can go to hell!"

Except the bible instead does say followers should kill nonbelievers, and gays. The bible is one of the best place to find scripture that demands followers of god to kill canaanites, gays, or nonbelievers.

Now, gay marriage is not deserving of death threats either, but it is backwards and unnatural, and thus is why we are against it.

You can be against it all you fucking like. I don't care if the sight of Michael Sam tongue punching his boyfriend's fart box makes you vomit. But that doesn't grant you the authority to deny two people the right to marry.

Perhaps, and it is wrong to discriminate in general.

Again, all you need to say and we can agree that SSM is perfectly legal and shouldn't be banned in the United States. Why you continue to do these mental backflips in order to not feel like a total knob.

But as in the 1960s, public opinion overruled the individual rights of the business owner. Yes, it sounds harsh, but it is true! And the exact same thing is happening here. But hey, gays! rainbows! woo hoo!

Public opinion and the Constitution. But hey, this brings up the point I made earlier. Lets go back to 1960's South Carolina, or Alabama. Where the overwhelming number of people are white Christians. Before anti-discrimination laws were put in place, an entire community could refuse business, and housing to a black family. I couldn't imagine how difficult it could be to live in a area like that if anyone and everyone banded together to openly discriminate against me because of race. And while you can say this is wrong, but at the same time complain about businesses losing this right in regards to discriminating against homosexuality.

I never said it did not exist; hell there are lots of unnatural things that exist. Gay animals are some of them.

Oh my god, did you really just fucking say gay animals are unnatural? How do you dress yourself in the morning without getting your head stuck in your sleeve?

I'm fairly neutral on the whole church-marriage thing since I view the state institution of marriage and the church institution of marriage as two separate things, but I saw a line of reasoning that I wanted to call attention to and discredit, as a lesson to people trying to argue coherently:

Torgo said:
Are you ignoring the bakeries, pizzerias, etc that have been closed due to them exercising their right to not only free business but freedom of religion? How long until they start coming after churches? Wait and see, you wait and see.

As we all know, this marrying the gays thing is just an diversion so that Obama can come around and take all of our guns, probably while wearing some kind of giant Gundam suit. You wait and see.

The awesome thing about the "wait and see" argument is that you never have to back it up. You're requiring the audience to wait an indeterminate amount of time, always longer than the lifespan of the discussion, in order to see if you have any kind of valid point or not. You're free to not believe me on this point, but that would lead directly to Gundam-suited Obama taking your guns- wait and see.

Both are mental problems, but hey, that's my opinion.

The fact that you consider a romantic relationship between two people of the same gender as a mental disorder is a terrifying outlook on romance.

Gender is merely another difference that exists in all humans, just like the colour of their eyes, their hair, their skin and so forth. Why on earth should the LGBT community be treated as second class citizens solely because of their inclinations?

The only mental problem evident in this situation is your necessity to call same-sex relationships mental problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back