Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JGlass

Unregistered User
Round Two...

SPdXIvO.png

Stage: Acme Looniversity

Acme University is a school dedicated to teaching young cartoons the ins and outs of the industry. Boasting a staff of talented professors like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Porky the Pig, this prestigious institution is the Harvard of Cartoonery. It is also the home for the super serious battle that will take place between Magneto, the Master of Magnetism, and Commander Shepard, the bane of the Reapers. Which one of these fighters gets an A+ in, "Vanquishing your Enemy 101," and which one has to stay after class?

FIGHT!

I'm leaning toward Commander Shepard, but it's a tough one.

One thing about Commander Shepard's N7 armor, I haven't been able to find any source on the internet that indicates that it uses metal components. While I haven't been able to find a link that breaks down the exact components of N7 armor, this link makes it very clear that the main component of N7 armor is ceramic and not metal. While this is good news for Shepard in that he/she won't be crushed within a second of the battle, Commander Shepard will not be able to use any means of combat except for his/her own hand-to-hand fighting abilities.

In the Mass Effect series, you have the option of playing Commander Shepard as a "biotic". A biotic can attack their opponent by manipulating mass through utilization of element zero. The only catch is that human biotics utilize an implant, and there's no data on whether or not that implant is made of metal. If it's assumed that based on what's shared in this link that -- because metal is explained to have an adverse effect to a biotic who touches it -- the implant isn't made of metal, then Shepard has a huge advantage over Magneto.

This is a tough match for me as these are two of my favorite characters in general, let alone in the tournament. Mass Effect 2 is my favorite video game ever, and I have an X-Men tattoo on my left shoulder.

That said, I don't see how Magneto loses here.

Even if Shepard's armor and implants (that's how Shepard has such amazing strength/power/skills) don't have metal that Magneto could quickly use to kill him, I don't think Shepard's biotic powers will be enough to take down Magneto.

Keeping in mind that this is at Acme Looniversity, there will be no shortage of metal props around. Anvils, safes, pianos containing yards of piano wire, goofy bombs with round black shells... Magneto is going to be able to pull these into battle very quickly and send them flying at Shepard. Shepard's biotic might be able to push some of them away, but Shepard can only use his biotics for so long before they need recharging while Magneto can use his powers endlessly until the job is done.

Alternatively, Shepard could rush Magneto with a biotic charge and then hit him with a Nova. The way this works is Shepard uses his biotic powers to send him charging at Magneto extremely fast, bypassing any obstacle in his way. A biotic charge ALSO regenerates Shepard's biotic barrier (think of it as an overshield). Then Shepard can hit Nova, an energy draining move that does damage based on how much barrier Shepard has left (more barrier=more damage). That drains Shepard's barrier, but by that time his charge will be ready to use again, and he can simply regain his health.

Now that I think about it, it's less black and white than I previously thought. I do think the environment favors Magneto, but if you go with Vanguard Shepard he DOES have the powers that could be used to defeat Magneto, and he could reasonably engage Magneto in close-quarters combat before Magneto is able to bring any of the elements of the stage into combat.

It's a toss-up for me. I apologize for this stream of consciousness post, but I wanted to get my say in before I have to go to work today.

Boo work, yay BattleZone!

I am a fan of Magneto, I am a huge fan of he Mass Effect series. For me, Shepard has what it takes to beat Magneto, and I mean literally. The universe Shepard comes from doesn't rely on metal. Most of his offensive weapons may not be made of metal. Magneto is no slouch, and his ability to manipulate magnetic fields will be very handy in this battle, but Shepard has weapons and abilities to counteract that. It really comes down to which version of Shepard will come against Magneto. I think Shepard's omni tool would be the biggest factor in ensuring a victory for Shepard.

Shepard wins this one for me.

Boo work, yay BattleZone!

HA! Joke's on you buddy, I'm on paid vacation until September 12th.

Great post, but I think we're all forgetting one important aspect of the Shepard character. Commander Shepard is probably the most charismatic character in this whole tournament. Nobody was forced to go on a suicide mission into the final stage of Mass Effect 2, Shepard had a small army of the greatest mercenaries in the cosmos willingly following his/her lead into certain death.

Commander Shepard has instant access to a near-infinite database of information on literally anything that he/she encounters. He/She would likely try to talk Magneto down, and Magneto has opted to wear a brain shielding helmet instead of getting professional help for his many demons.

Very graphic spoiler alert, Commander Shepard was able to do this to Saren in Mass Effect 1, even while Saren's mind was being controlled by Sovereign:

SarenSuicide.gif

And this to the Illusive Man in Mass Effect 3, again, it's pretty graphic:

jKWQZi.gif

Sovereign couldn't prevent either of those two occurrences, even though it had almost complete control over either individual's will.

Commander Shepard doesn't need the power of the force or mutant telepathy to persuade even the strongest minds to become confronted with everything they've done to betray their own principles. Magneto's helmet can't prevent this kind of mind-fuck from making him see the truth about himself, that he's no better than the men who tattooed his arm.

How does he do any of this when he is having a new hole made in his head? Forget metal armor, forget bullets. JGlass said it. The stage is filled with an array of fun objects. Magneto zips something through his face & awaits a tougher challenge.

Magneto will win. I've played Mass Effect 2 and Commander Sheppard is only as good as his/her team. Sheppard isn't weak though on the other hand and not taking him/her lightly would be a mistake. Magneto wouldn't waste time ripping a building into a thousand different sized projectiles and making it rain death on Sheppard.

How does he do any of this when he is having a new hole made in his head? Forget metal armor, forget bullets. JGlass said it. The stage is filled with an array of fun objects. Magneto zips something through his face & awaits a tougher challenge.

Except it isn't as easy as zipping something through Shepard's face. This also shows you don't have much knowledge of what Shepard is.

Magneto will have a lot of props, yes. It's going to be a tough fight, no doubt. Both are battle hardened and have taken over enemies far stronger than themselves, so the fight would be such. However, the advanced weaponry that Shepard has at his disposal could prove to be the difference. Shepard's weapons like Arc projector, singularity generator or collector beam gun (I forget the name) or just the omni-blade (if Shepard can get close to Magneto) would be enough to take Magneto down.

How close will he get before being hit in the face ? How will he fare if he gets there, when Magneto has a pretty damn powerful shield himself?

Magneto is much more likely to quickly end this with a bombardment of sharp and or heavy objects. He may deflect one or two, but no way he stops it all or gets in close to Magneto.

How close will he get before being hit in the face ? How will he fare if he gets there, when Magneto has a pretty damn powerful shield himself?

Magneto is much more likely to quickly end this with a bombardment of sharp and or heavy objects. He may deflect one or two, but no way he stops it all or gets in close to Magneto.

Let's look at the psychological profile of Magneto. He doesn't just end a fight immediately unless you killed a member of his family, he likes to verbally one-up his opponent.

Quite Frankly; Magneto:

4132153-5094472371-14121.jpg

Talks:

ultimate-wolverine-vs-magneto.jpg

Too:

tumblr_mxm3w9AGJS1rvhk4ho1_500.jpg

Much:

606646-unlimitedaccess4p32.jpg

If Shepard can lull Magneto into a debate that questions the reasoning behind his war on non-meta-humans, he can easily lure him into a state of weakness.

I'm not saying it would happen 10 out of 10 times, I'm just saying that Shepard has a fighting chance in this fight.

Quick question, doesn't fighting in the toon universe give these two combatants toon abilities? I bring up exhibit 1: Space Jam. When Jordan went to the toon universe, he was able to stretch his body extremely far, he was able to take more punishment as well. Being in the toon universe doesn't make them invincible though as we seen with Jordan's assistant in the same film.

Having said all of that, I'd have to give this to Magneto. As has been said, he'll have plenty of anvils and such to throw around. Also, he'll be able to take more punishment than usual being where the battle takes place.

Vote Magneto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back