Not open for further replies.

The Doctor

Great and Devious
Staff member
Super Moderator
Round Two...

H3IisWw.png

Stage: Planet Namek

Two warriors armed with unstoppable arsenals collide on a distant alien planet. The Man Who Sold The World, Big Boss, defeated the soldier Falcon, while Link clashed with swordsman Ike and left him on the battlefield. Now these two icons meet, and neither has any kind of home field advantage. It's one of gaming's biggest heroes vs. one of gaming's biggest villains in round two of the BattleZone! Who will make it to Earth for round three?

FIGHT!

I vote Link with a simple downward thrust to Boss that burys deep into his chest cavity. It's not an easy win, Link takes a bullet to the arm and does his best to avoid bullets by his agility, shield and environment. He figures out Boss is just like all the giant bosses he's faced in the past, they have a weakness. Boss weakness is he has to reload, Link gets him as he's reloading to barely win the match.

I really wanted to pull for Big Boss in this, but I'm not finding a scenario where he can beat Link.

I imagine that Big Boss would size up Link, and recognize that his best option would be to challenge Link to hand-to-hand combat. There's one huge hurdle, the language barrier. Link understands only Hylian, and he rarely speaks.

Big Boss can't get into Link's head, and that takes away Boss' biggest advantage in any of these battles.

Big Boss could use camo and try to snipe Link, but that would justifiably permit Link to use any of his masks. Even if Boss caught Link morphing into a deku, all Link would have to do is go behind a tree and put on a different mask.

Big Boss could shoot at Link, and be unable to get an bullets past Link's indestructible shield. Out of frustration, Big Boss could try to disarm Link and thus force him into a disadvantageous encounter where hand-to-hand combat is the only option. The biggest problem with that is Link's Titan mitts, so only a comparable level of super strength would work to get that damned sword and shield from Link's grip.

This is a very unfortunate encounter for Big Boss, he gets beaten in this by a better mercenary.

I think both of you are forgetting that Big Boss is a master of traps. C4, landmines, inflatable decoys - he can use those and more to lure Link into a scenario that would allow him to use either superior firepower or the basics of CQC to choke the Hylian out. Link is very singularly-focused on adventure. He isn't one to not have a plan or anything, but his MO is to generally take the unknown head on and plunge forward. Big Boss scouts. He scouts, he waits, he strikes. You don't need to speak a language to be spurred to attacking a decoy and leaving yourself open for a sniper shot. If Link can be incapacitated or distracted for even a second, Big Boss has got this one in the bag.

Link might be able to hold a shield forever with his Titan Mitt, but he is still vulnerable mid-slash, especially if he is using a two-handed sword like the Biggoron or Great Fairy's Sword, and if he's aiming to do as much damage as possible and quickly there's no reason he wouldn't be.

While C4 is typically a death knell for humans, pointy eared Hylians seem to get by alright after having an explosive detonate right next to them. Link can be carrying a gigantic bomb over his head, and retain his limbs if it explodes while he's still carrying it. I don't think that Big Boss is carrying enough explosive to take down Link, weaken him sure.

Big Boss would definitely need to bring out his best CQC, as he'd be taking on a guy who looks like a flake but was able to defeat Ganon in behemoth form in a test of strength.

I'm speaking of Ganon in this form by the way:

dark-beast-ganon-tp.gif

I would give the edge to Big Boss if I was given a plausible scenario where he can convince Link to abandon the strategy of using his sword and shield. While I have been talking up how the titan mitts would make such a task nearly impossible, I am willing to concede that it has happened even with the use of titan mitts. When Link took on demon form Ganon in Ocarina of Time, Ganon was able to swipe hard enough to cause Link to lose his grip and send the Master Sword flying.

While I can imagine Big Boss aiming for Link's sword hand with a well placed shot, I'm not going to sleep on Link's ability to use strategy.

Link's opponents tend to have glaring weaknesses, and Big Boss is no different. Big Boss is a one eyed man, going up against an opponent who is dead accurate with a bow and arrow. While Big Boss would likely scout the entirety of the terrain, I think that Link would do the same thing. For the brief moments that either individual could scout their opponent, Link would see that one eye of Big Boss as the most obvious way to strike first.

Link does tend to just go into a challenge head-first, and he has too much resilience for that to be enough of a disadvantage to cost him this fight. I don't see Big Boss managing to effectively neutralize Link before Link can blind him completely.

I think both of you are forgetting that Big Boss is a master of traps. C4, landmines, inflatable decoys - he can use those and more to lure Link into a scenario that would allow him to use either superior firepower or the basics of CQC to choke the Hylian out.

Big Boss may be a master of traps but Link is a master of puzzle solving as well as a master of combat. If he is hurt by a trap and survives, he could activate the Staff of Byrna and that trap certainly won't get in his way again. He won't feel anything from any type of trap that inflicts physical harm. The barrier would make them go off as soon as he is in proximity with no damage. Or maybe he uses the Magic Cape and fights invisible for a bit until he is away from the landmines and other traps. What if he doesn't survive, you say? Fairy in a bottle. Link won't fall for the same trap twice and would quickly re-think his strategy, with one less fairy, then go onto the offensive and win.

Link is very singularly-focused on adventure. He isn't one to not have a plan or anything, but his MO is to generally take the unknown head on and plunge forward. Big Boss scouts. He scouts, he waits, he strikes. You don't need to speak a language to be spurred to attacking a decoy and leaving yourself open for a sniper shot. If Link can be incapacitated or distracted for even a second, Big Boss has got this one in the bag.

Link can scout and play the sniper game too. Hawkeye plus Arrows. The same response as the previous paragraph applies here. Link's not going to fall for the same trap or attack twice, he'll adapt and has just the right item to get him through it. Multiple fairies in bottles ensure that Big Boss would have to get a perfect one-shot a grand total of 5 times to "have this one in the bag" as you stated.

Link might be able to hold a shield forever with his Titan Mitt, but he is still vulnerable mid-slash, especially if he is using a two-handed sword like the Biggoron or Great Fairy's Sword, and if he's aiming to do as much damage as possible and quickly there's no reason he wouldn't be.

He doesn't have to rely on the Great Fairy's Sword or even the Titan's Mitt. He could use the Hookshot to take Big Boss's weaponry then fight ranged from a distance with Light Arrows to finish the battle in style.

See, this is the reason I don't like the battlezone tournament.

If you are answering the actual question of who would win in a fight, rather than inventing a reason to vote for your favorite, then this isn't a discussion. Either its a popularity contest or it's not, but discussing something that nobody is basing their votes on is just a colossal waste of time.

Here we have an extremely capable, more or less human warrior, who fights using a range of contemporary weapons and gadgets, with a sprinkling of magic, fighting against an extremely capable, more or less human warrior, who fights using a range of medieval weapons and gadgets, with a sprinkling of magic.

Link's longests range weapon is classically the longbow. A longbow typically has a range of about 180 meters. Big Boss has a variety of contemporary sniper rifles, which in the hands of an expert can reliably hit targets at over 2 kilometres. That's 1800 meters Link has to cover before he can engage.

Link has only human agility, and has at no point displayed a capability to dodge bullets. He wears no armour that can stand up to conventional munitions, and even his protective spells have very limited duration, certainly not enough to last the seven minutes it will take him to get in range unless you think Link will have an iv catheter hooked up to an oil tanker of red potion.

Even if he does somehow get into close quarters combat, Lynel and Iron Knuckles have shows the Master Sword to be pretty ineffective against metal armour, which means it's going to be pretty ineffective against the kevlar or otherwise bullet proof armour that five minutes with Google tells me that Big Boss has been known to wear.

And this is framing the contest in a manner that ignores every single one of Big Boss's gadgets and abilities outside of "being able to shoot a fucking gun". Factor in advanced camouflage, radar, thermal scanning, mines, drones and whatever other bullshit has been doled out over the years.

So yes. Link gets shot in the head because guns are more powerful than swords. Then again, the last time I paid attention to one of these things, Link won against King Arthur, despite the latter being literally immune to all of Link's conventional weapons.

Here we have an extremely capable, more or less human warrior, who fights using a range of contemporary weapons and gadgets, with a sprinkling of magic

Um, no. Literally nowhere is it indicated that Big Boss can utilize magic. I don't know where you got that from.

I really didn't want this to turn into a battle depending on who has the most impressive prop.

Big Boss has the advantage of range due to having more advanced weaponry, though I see a successful head-shot to Link going only one way. A fairy in a bottle brings Link back, and Link is now well aware of the danger he's facing.

I imagine that these two would be placed reasonably close to each other to where each man isn't just a speck on the horizon to each other. One of Link's many items is the mole mitts, which he could use to travel closer to Big Boss' location underground thus he wouldn't be silhouetting himself in the open.

Big Boss was an amazing soldier, even after Ocelot took his right eye. Though; he doesn't do much beyond command after losing his eye, because having only one eye makes things like aiming at long distances pretty fucking problematic. Can it be overcome? Sure, to a point. Here's a fun experiment to show how difficult it can be though:

blindspot768x1024.jpg

Big Boss may be a badass, but he's not picking off anybody at 1800 fucking meters. Even if he was being sprinkled with magic, which again doesn't exist in his universe, he would still be second guessing his blind spot.

I'm pretty sure that Link could cut through Big Boss' armor with a good thrust, even if he couldn't it's not like Big Boss wears neck or head armor. While Link has a range limit for his bow and arrow, his magic boomerang can go as far as it wants to and stuns anything it slams into.

Big Boss is outclassed here.

Link has only human agility

Pegasus Boots. Wolf form transormation. Hookshot tricks. Grappling Hook tricks. He can get around quickly on the battlefield just fine.

and has at no point displayed a capability to dodge bullets.

Link himself cannot, but the Mirror Shield can. If fire beams, ice beams, and even lasers cannot get past it, then bullets will not get through it. And even if they could (which they cannot) then Link would just deflect them with either an empty bottle or with a bug catching net.

He wears no armour that can stand up to conventional munitions

The Magic Armor can. It remains in effect so long as Link equips it and has rupees.

and even his protective spells have very limited duration, certainly not enough to last the seven minutes it will take him to get in range unless you think Link will have an iv catheter hooked up to an oil tanker of red potion.

The Grappling Hook could get him there fast enough and since he's not taking any steps he wouldn't lose rupees while wearing the Magic Armor and using the Grappling Hook to get to safe ground.

Even if he does somehow get into close quarters combat, Lynel and Iron Knuckles have shows the Master Sword to be pretty ineffective against metal armour, which means it's going to be pretty ineffective against the kevlar or otherwise bullet proof armour that five minutes with Google tells me that Big Boss has been known to wear.

Who said he had to use the Master Sword? He'd use the Light Arrows. Nice try.

And this is framing the contest in a manner that ignores every single one of Big Boss's gadgets and abilities outside of "being able to shoot a fucking gun". Factor in advanced camouflage, radar, thermal scanning, mines, drones and whatever other bullshit has been doled out over the years.

Link steals the guns with the Hookshot. He uses the Lens of Truth to see through the camouflage. Magic Cape to hide from the radar and thermal scanning. Staff of Byrna to safely move past the mines or drones. Again, nice try.

So yes. Link gets shot in the head because guns are more powerful than swords.

No he doesn't. Not when you take it into account that Light Arrows are more powerful than guns. Plus, fairies in a bottle bring Link back to the battle even if he were shot in the head. You need something more than "Oh he just shoots Link". That doesn't work here.

Then again, the last time I paid attention to one of these things, Link won against King Arthur, despite the latter being literally immune to all of Link's conventional weapons.

Arthur was not immune to Link's weapons. That's both irrelevant and incorrect. Link won that time and he wins this round too.

Um, no. Literally nowhere is it indicated that Big Boss can utilize magic. I don't know where you got that from.

This was me being flippant about the impossible nature of some of the "technology" that shows up in the MGS franchise.

Big Boss has the advantage of range due to having more advanced weaponry, though I see a successful head-shot to Link going only one way. A fairy in a bottle brings Link back, and Link is now well aware of the danger he's facing.

Which protects him from the next 49 bullets how?

That's leaving aside the fact that fairies are separate, independent life forms, and therefore shouldn't be allowed in the first place under the rules surrounding allies which keep Big Boss's mercenary corps out of things.

One of Link's many items is the mole mitts, which he could use to travel closer to Big Boss' location underground thus he wouldn't be silhouetting himself in the open.

No they fuckin' don't. Neither the mole mitts, nor the mogma mitts, allow Link to travel extended distances underground. He can dig into caves or through soft earth. Nowhere can he canonically traverse an extended distance underground. It's bad enough that you're trying to cherry pick powers and abilities from a dozen canonically separate individuals who just happen to share a name and lack of dress sense, but inventing new powers as well...

Big Boss was an amazing soldier, even after Ocelot took his right eye. Though; he doesn't do much beyond command after losing his eye, because having only one eye makes things like aiming at long distances pretty fucking problematic. Can it be overcome? Sure, to a point. Here's a fun experiment to show how difficult it can be though:

I'm pretty sure the use of a rifle scope involves closing one eye to begin with.

I'm pretty sure that Link could cut through Big Boss' armor with a good thrust, even if he couldn't it's not like Big Boss wears neck or head armor. While Link has a range limit for his bow and arrow, his magic boomerang can go as far as it wants to and stuns anything it slams into.

Actually he does wear head armour, in the form of his bulletproof bandana. And the magic boomerang does not have unlimited range and does not stun everything it hits - as demonstrated by literally every single Zelda game it has appeared in. If it had unlimited range then it would never come back.

Not that any of this matters, because bullets move faster than pieces of wood, and Link is already dead.

Edit

Link himself cannot, but the Mirror Shield can. If fire beams, ice beams, and even lasers cannot get past it, then bullets will not get through it. And even if they could (which they cannot) then Link would just deflect them with either an empty bottle or with a bug catching net.

You are too stupid to talk to.

Big Boss may be a badass, but he's not picking off anybody at 1800 fucking meters. Even if he was being sprinkled with magic, which again doesn't exist in his universe, he would still be second guessing his blind spot.

I'll be writing a proper post later on today but I would like to quickly contest the notion that magic "doesn't exist" in the Metal Gear universe. While it is much more limited and isn't exactly all swords and sorcery like in the Zelda universe, the supernatural is not at all unheard of, even during Big Boss's time. An easy example is Psycho Mantis, a powerful psychic with all kinds of powers, including being able to possess another as a ghost. It is explained in a tape in Metal Gear Solid V that the Third Child was born with natural psychic abilities - they weren't technology-aided or anything. There is also Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2, and while Big Boss never met him, he was still a character shown to have technology-enhanced natural abilities such as an advanced healing factor. The concept of supernatural luck manipulation also exists in the universe, again demonstrated by Metal Gear Solid 2 in Fortune.

Do with the information what you will, but I did just want to bring that up so people don't start arguing that he would somehow be confused at the presence of magic when the first game you play as him in literally has Volgin shooting lightning out of his fingers and a dude who can control bees. I still don't see a scenario where Link doesn't get ensnared in a trap and blown to bits or picked off by a sniper rifle, but again that post is to come.

This was me being flippant about the impossible nature of some of the "technology" that shows up in the MGS franchise.

While Kojima went carte blanche with the notion that nano-machines have no physical limits, Big Boss was presented as a guy who endures war using only what he was born with. Albeit; he's probably the toughest SOB in this whole tournament, and -- speaking of his Mom -- I think every other competitor is lucky that The Boss isn't in this tournament.

I feel that Big Boss is at a disadvantage however, in that he's fighting someone who is no stranger to embracing The Warrior Ethos but also has magic.

Which protects him from the next 49 bullets how?

Link's brain matter explodes out of the back of his skull, thus he is at a great distance away from Big Boss and takes half a minute to be revived by a fairy. With wind resistance, bullet weight, trigger squeeze, breathing control and humidity as factors in getting that bullet to its target, I don't think that Big Boss is pulling off 50 head shots in a split second. While in range of automatic weaponry, Link could utilize his indestructible shield. I'm sure that Link would be able to figure out that Big Boss is reloading periodically, thus he'd be able to estimate when a clip is empty and he'd be aware of the fact that Big Boss would only have a limited amount of ammo.

That's leaving aside the fact that fairies are separate, independent life forms, and therefore shouldn't be allowed in the first place under the rules surrounding allies which keep Big Boss's mercenary corps out of things.

I might sound like a monster here, but; fairies are items. Link isn't having a conversation with the fairy and requesting its aid, fairies react like mathematical equations to the function that their possessor has perished. I don't see any conflict with the "no allies" rule if Link utilized a fairy or a bee. Speaking of which; the Good Bee would really fuck with Big Boss' head.

IMG_4163.JPG

No they fuckin' don't. Neither the mole mitts, nor the mogma mitts, allow Link to travel extended distances underground. He can dig into caves or through soft earth. Nowhere can he canonically traverse an extended distance underground. It's bad enough that you're trying to cherry pick powers and abilities from a dozen canonically separate individuals who just happen to share a name and lack of dress sense, but inventing new powers as well...

Soft earth you say? CAVES YOU SAY!? Well shoot, if only this fight were occurring on terrain that mimicked those conditions. Oh wait...

Krillin_near_the_cave.PNG

dbz44-16.jpg

In every instance he was able to go pretty damn far underground, pretty damn quickly too. It's fine if you want to criticize me for cherry picking, I'd rather go into fine detail than just use "magic" as arbitrary deus ex machina. Keep in mind that part of Link's horrid dress sense (I totally agree with you on that) can allow him to breath indefinitely underwater or become fire-proof. Big Boss by the way dressed as a geisha in a lab coat so he could most effectively sneak up on his Mom.

Notice how both men have very vague universes underneath their names, Metal Gear Solid and The Legend of Zelda. The way I see it, this gives both men free use of any tools available from either of those universes and whatever might present itself on Namek.

I'm pretty sure the use of a rifle scope involves closing one eye to begin with.

And I'm pretty sure that without the aid of a spotter, Big Boss isn't hitting anything past 1000 meters. Lord knows he's got a very trained eye at this point, but that old man in the picture hasn't seen an unpredictable opponent like Link in a very long time.

Actually he does wear head armour, in the form of his bulletproof bandana. And the magic boomerang does not have unlimited range and does not stun everything it hits - as demonstrated by literally every single Zelda game it has appeared in. If it had unlimited range then it would never come back.

There is no data online (for all I'm able to find) that gives an exact range on the magic boomerang, though its flight path can be controlled at will by Link. Since the fine minds at Nintendo couldn't be bothered to put the magic boomerang (I literally checked EVERY game manual) in any more detail than to say that it goes "farther", we have to just interpret its capabilities as we will. If Link is aware of Big Boss' position, I think that he could will the magic boomerang to him in the sense implied by this magic card:

436e3dfa571a6d1b7497a7be7ce56ea9-650-80.jpg

Not that any of this matters, because bullets move faster than pieces of wood, and Link is already dead.

Did I mention that Link is ridiculously resilient yet? I'm pretty sure that I did. Big Boss doesn't just kill and be done with it, he's actually a pretty big drama queen. Everything he does has to be a show, he wouldn't beat Link unless he could tell tales of his encounter over and over again to himself in yet another boring ass FMV sequence.

Link is about as no-nonsense as a warrior can get. His one priority is to find your weakness, and exploit it until you're dead. Psychologically, Big Boss is fucked.

Do with the information what you will, but I did just want to bring that up so people don't start arguing that he would somehow be confused at the presence of magic when the first game you play as him in literally has Volgin shooting lightning out of his fingers and a dude who can control bees. I still don't see a scenario where Link doesn't get ensnared in a trap and blown to bits or picked off by a sniper rifle, but again that post is to come.

I never suggested that Big Boss would be confused at the notion of magic, just that for me to accept that magic has any influence in the Metal Gear universe it would have had to have been mentioned at least once.

It's implied that -- through technological advancements -- nature has granted the weirdness that occurs in the Metal Gear world its right to exist. It's not implied that any of the characters are drawing upon any kind of divine vestment or enchanted trinket.

Fortune used an electromagnetic device to deflect projectiles, and her ability to deflect Metal Gear RAY's missiles was described as miraculous and not magical. That sounds more like a freak occurrence than an intended manipulation of physics.

Link is not some bumbling idiot who would just take bait and get caught in a trap, most of what he deals with in the dungeons he conquers is traps. I don't think that Big Boss would have anything to use as bait that would interest Link.

OK, let's get the boring stuff out of the way first.

Link is not a single character. He is more than a dozen different characters who are canonically established to be different people living hundreds of years apart, and often in separate universes. This isn't like Mario, where it's implied to be the same dude bumbling around. Nintendo have confirmed, and made a major plot point out of, the fact that Link is different people operating in different, non-overlapping, time lines.

You've got to pick one and stick with it.

Link's brain matter explodes out of the back of his skull, thus he is at a great distance away from Big Boss and takes half a minute to be revived by a fairy. With wind resistance, bullet weight, trigger squeeze, breathing control and humidity as factors in getting that bullet to its target, I don't think that Big Boss is pulling off 50 head shots in a split second. While in range of automatic weaponry, Link could utilize his indestructible shield. I'm sure that Link would be able to figure out that Big Boss is reloading periodically, thus he'd be able to estimate when a clip is empty and he'd be aware of the fact that Big Boss would only have a limited amount of ammo.

As I established earlier, Link has 7 minutes of distance to cover before he gets in range of any of his weapons. Hardly a split second. None of Link's shields cover more than half of his body (and in the majority of iterations its only one-third). Link can't move a shield faster than bullets. I'll give you points for not being Dagger-Dias, but this line borders on the same level of ridiculousness as his 'Link will deflect bullets with bottles' argument.

What's more, his shield probably isn't even as indestructible as you're making out. In the original game, and in LttP, the magic and mirror shields respectively can be destroyed by Like Likes, and in no iteration of the game can I find it canonically established as being indestructible. Again, it depends which Link you're using, but this doesn't hold up.

I might sound like a monster here, but; fairies are items. Link isn't having a conversation with the fairy and requesting its aid, fairies react like mathematical equations to the function that their possessor has perished. I don't see any conflict with the "no allies" rule if Link utilized a fairy or a bee. Speaking of which; the Good Bee would really fuck with Big Boss' head.

Navi and Tatl are faeries. Here's a picture of a bottled faerie from the same continuity.
MM3D_Fairy_Icon.png

Note that they're the same.

Then there's the fairy from Spirit Tracks who provides the conventional healing services, but is also very clearly a free and autonomous being.
Spirit_of_Healing.png

Then there's the Wind Waker description:

When their master's life energy has been depleted, they immediately come to his or her aid.

Which very clearly marks them as allies rather than items.

Or finally, in the manual for the original game, fairies are described as autonomous creatures with homes, communities and tool using capabilities. They assist Link "as a reward for rescuing them".

This is not the portrait of an item or tool - this is an ally. If you allow fairies to serve their master, then Big Boss should get his underlings - after all, many of them are every bit as subservient as the average fairy. And since you want to combine every power, from every character, from every game, when it suits you - I'll throw in that guy who can control bees for good measure.

Now, mitts.

In every instance he was able to go pretty damn far underground, pretty damn quickly too.

No he isn't. He is able to remove a small layer of earth and then fall down a hole, which he is then unable to get back up. In no game ever can he tunnel as you were originally suggesting.

The land you're pointing to is categorically not the kind of land Link could did trough. Hyrule is full of grassy plains, and Link can't dig through them. He can scrape away what is essentially sandstone, and that's it.

There is no data online (for all I'm able to find) that gives an exact range on the magic boomerang, though its flight path can be controlled at will by Link. Since the fine minds at Nintendo couldn't be bothered to put the magic boomerang (I literally checked EVERY game manual) in any more detail than to say that it goes "farther", we have to just interpret its capabilities as we will. If Link is aware of Big Boss' position, I think that he could will the magic boomerang to him in the sense implied by this magic card:

So, let me get this straight. You couldn't find the range on the magic boomerang anywhere, so you just spontaneously decided that it has infinite range because it helps your cause. Do you see know where I was coming from with my 'fanboys will engineer a reason to vote for their favorite whatever' observation?

There is no evidence in any game to back up your claim, you were just making shit up because you want Link to win and don't care why.

Now, if you must know, the Magic Boomerang has a maximum range of 1.5 screens in aLttP, which is its longest range to date. In the 3D games it attacks in a short arc rather than a long distance projectile. In every game ever it has a lower range than to bow - so it can't hit a target 2km away.

Did I mention that Link is ridiculously resilient yet?

You already conceded that he dies from being shot in the head.

OK, let's get the boring stuff out of the way first.

Right, as if you're going to be so damn captivating after the following paragraph.

Link is not a single character. He is more than a dozen different characters who are canonically established to be different people living hundreds of years apart, and often in separate universes. This isn't like Mario, where it's implied to be the same dude bumbling around. Nintendo have confirmed, and made a major plot point out of, the fact that Link is different people operating in different, non-overlapping, time lines.

You're right, that was extremely boring. Mainly because your point is "I know stuff". I realize that I myself am not beyond using referent power solely to get a point across, but I'll give you a chance to cite the claims you made with sources.

You've got to pick one and stick with it.

Bullshit. Link -- in this tournament -- is designated as being from "The Legend of Zelda" and he's depicted wearing the Master Sword. I see no reason to assume that he couldn't have the capabilities afforded to any video game depicting as much.

As I established earlier, Link has 7 minutes of distance to cover before he gets in range of any of his weapons.

Link has all the damn time in the world to do whatever he needs to do, he doesn't eat or shit. Big Boss on the other hand, he can get so peckish that he'll stuff anything down his throat. He's so famous for eating nearly anything, that Para-Medic had to have this exchange with him:

And this one:

Hardly a split second. None of Link's shields cover more than half of his body (and in the majority of iterations its only one-third). Link can't move a shield faster than bullets. I'll give you points for not being Dagger-Dias, but this line borders on the same level of ridiculousness as his 'Link will deflect bullets with bottles' argument.

I know you probably think that sniping is as easy as it's made out to be in video games, but if you take a shot then you've compromised your position. On top of that -- as Dagger Dias pointed out -- Link has a cape that renders him invisible for a limited time. Not distorted, but completely invisible. If both men are wary of each other's existence and they're granted the obscene amount of distance that would make the most use out of a sniper rifle's range, it wouldn't be uncharacteristic of Link to remain as difficult to spot as he could be until getting within range of his own tools of war.

What's more, his shield probably isn't even as indestructible as you're making out. In the original game, and in LttP, the magic and mirror shields respectively can be destroyed by Like Likes, and in no iteration of the game can I find it canonically established as being indestructible. Again, it depends which Link you're using, but this doesn't hold up.

Literally every depiction of the Hylian shield has it as an indestructible form of protection. No exceptions, it doesn't break. Like-Likes don't destroy the shield, they steal it. It really doesn't depend on which Link you're using, there has never been a breakable Hylian shield.

Navi and Tatl are faeries.

Uh huh.

Here's a picture of a bottled faerie from the same continuity.
MM3D_Fairy_Icon.png

Note that they're the same.

Neither Navi nor Tatl can be captured in a jar for use as items. They look similar, but they're different.

Then there's the fairy from Spirit Tracks who provides the conventional healing services, but is also very clearly a free and autonomous being.
Spirit_of_Healing.png

Free and autonomous, unlike the fairies you catch in a bottle and use for emergency life restoration. I never suggested that the fairy from Spirit Tracks is what would be used.

Then there's the Wind Waker description:

"When their master's life energy has been depleted, they immediately come to his or her aid."

Which very clearly marks them as allies rather than items.

That doesn't mark them as allies. That marks them as one-track-minded evolutionary dead ends. They have the same functionality as any other item in Link's repertoire, you fulfill a condition and they react in the one way that they're allowed.

Or finally, in the manual for the original game, fairies are described as autonomous creatures with homes, communities and tool using capabilities. They assist Link "as a reward for rescuing them".

You know, you really have no place mocking someone else's intellect after typing out that last paragraph of horseshit. Here's the original game manual, it doesn't describe fairies in the way you claim. If you're not lying, then please cite the game manual you're referring too. It sure as Hell isn't "the original game".

This is not the portrait of an item or tool - this is an ally. If you allow fairies to serve their master, then Big Boss should get his underlings - after all, many of them are every bit as subservient as the average fairy. And since you want to combine every power, from every character, from every game, when it suits you - I'll throw in that guy who can control bees for good measure.

Right, Big Boss' minions tend to just fart around until he needs them to sprinkle him with fairy dust. You show me a henchman of his that was limited to that, and I'll concede that Big Boss should be allowed to utilize their services.

He is able to remove a small layer of earth and then fall down a hole, which he is then unable to get back up. In no game ever can he tunnel as you were originally suggesting.

The land you're pointing to is categorically not the kind of land Link could did trough. Hyrule is full of grassy plains, and Link can't dig through them. He can scrape away what is essentially sandstone, and that's it.

In this case, we're going to have to agree to disagree. If Link was able to dig into sandstone like it's nothing, then he could also dig through "soft earth" as you indicated that he could in your original retort. Namek is a big bunch of soft earth.

So, let me get this straight.

Please do.

You couldn't find the range on the magic boomerang anywhere, so you just spontaneously decided that it has infinite range because it helps your cause. Do you see know where I was coming from with my 'fanboys will engineer a reason to vote for their favorite whatever' observation?

Well I beg your fucking pardon good Sir, but you've only shared pictures in your attempt to back up any of the points that you've made so far. If you want to write me off as just another fanboy, that's fine with me. I wouldn't want to be the jackass that totally remembers the original game depicting fairies living in houses.

There is no evidence in any game to back up your claim, you were just making shit up because you want Link to win and don't care why.

Oh for fuck's sake. Can you at least pretend to be a little civil today? If I present a hypothesis that hasn't been negated by anything that I could find in the time I invested doing research, then be the adult in this conversation and either present me with evidence that negates my theory or acknowledge that you're just not seeing the connection that I made.

Now, if you must know, the Magic Boomerang has a maximum range of 1.5 screens in aLttP, which is its longest range to date. In the 3D games it attacks in a short arc rather than a long distance projectile. In every game ever it has a lower range than to bow - so it can't hit a target 2km away.

You checked the Zelda wiki! I'm so proud of you! Yeah so; that's not an official description of the boomerang, but I give you points for finally putting in an effort. More likely; that's all that the game can allow you in terms of the limitations of the display. Your argument is that based on gameplay the boomerang can't travel beyond the limitations of the programming code, and my argument is that it's never been expressed -- in the manual or in the wiki -- that the magic boomerang has a range limit. I feel that it goes where Link wants it to go, and there's no concrete evidence to refute that.

You already conceded that he dies from being shot in the head.

*ugh* I was referring to what Link's options would be if that were to happen, he's one of the few in this tournament who would even have options in that circumstance. Do you really want to get back into that argument?

I know that the stages are new, but something as vague as the entire Planet of Namek won't due.

If they're fighting in one of Nameks many plains areas then I see Link winning with Big Boss having nowhere to hide. On the other hand, though, if they're fighting in one of Nameks many rocky cliff areas, Big Boss all day long.

I know that the stages are new, but something as vague as the entire Planet of Namek won't due.

If they're fighting in one of Nameks many plains areas then I see Link winning with Big Boss having nowhere to hide. On the other hand, though, if they're fighting in one of Nameks many rocky cliff areas, Big Boss all day long.

Random thought; can you imagine if Link played The Sun Song on Namek? It's never nighttime on Namek as it has three suns, the planet would probably just spin like crazy until high speed winds kill everything.

That would be interesting. I'd assume that maybe Namek would spin out of its axis and maybe even fall apart from damage of the spinning. They'd be fucked, unless they had seven magic orbs that when gathered together grant any wish or in Nameks case, any three wishes.

You're right, that was extremely boring. Mainly because your point is "I know stuff". I realize that I myself am not beyond using referent power solely to get a point across, but I'll give you a chance to cite the claims you made with sources.

Yes diddums, I know stuff. I know you might find that pretty fuckin' uncouth - but it's the traditional method of adult debate. It might not match up to inventing information and throwing a temper tantrum in terms of convenience, but I assure you that it has many things to recommend it.

Now leaving aside the hypocrisy of criticising me for the crime of "knowing stuff" and then demanding citations - sure, whatever. Play Skyward Sword, where it is directly stated that the different iterations of Link are different people, or alternatively, take a look at the official Zelda timeline as published by Nintendo.

ztime.jpg

You could have looked it up yourself in half the time you spent sulking about my lack of Harvard Referencing System, but whatever.

Bullshit. Link -- in this tournament -- is designated as being from "The Legend of Zelda" and he's depicted wearing the Master Sword. I see no reason to assume that he couldn't have the capabilities afforded to any video game depicting as much.

Because they're different people. You're functionally saying that one Zelda protagonist should be able to use all of the Zelda protagonists' tools and skills.

Look at it this way. If the main character of the Zelda franchise had a different name and appearance in every game then you'd happily agree with me that the idea of combining all their tools and powers was stupid. But it has been confirmed in the Zelda story that every version of Link (bar sequels) is just as unique and separate an entity as if that was the case.

I know you probably think that sniping is as easy as it's made out to be in video games, but if you take a shot then you've compromised your position. On top of that -- as Dagger Dias pointed out -- Link has a cape that renders him invisible for a limited time. Not distorted, but completely invisible. If both men are wary of each other's existence and they're granted the obscene amount of distance that would make the most use out of a sniper rifle's range, it wouldn't be uncharacteristic of Link to remain as difficult to spot as he could be until getting within range of his own tools of war.

We have no way of knowing if it would shield Link from thermal imaging or any of the other non-visual tracking methods common in the MGS franchise, but since it makes him partially incorporeal, I'm open to the idea that it might. However; the magic cape has an extremely short duration, since it permanently drains Link's rather megre magic meter. It's only available to one iteration of Link, and he can't use it to hide for more than about 30 seconds at a time. That doesn't do him a lot of good here.

Literally every depiction of the Hylian shield has it as an indestructible form of protection. No exceptions, it doesn't break. Like-Likes don't destroy the shield, they steal it. It really doesn't depend on which Link you're using, there has never been a breakable Hylian shield.

I assumed you were talking about the mirror shield, since your side brought it up earlier and it's been in far more games. Anyway, you're wrong. Ocarina of Time, if you kill a Like Like within a few seconds of it stealing your shield, you get the shield back. If you allow it to finish digesting the shield, the shield is destroyed. QED: the shield is not indestructible.

So yes; there has been a breakable Hyrule shield. Skyward Sword is the only version to my knowledge where the shield is directly implied to be indestructible.

Neither Navi nor Tatl can be captured in a jar for use as items. They look similar, but they're different.

Based on what? They look exactly the same, and every single character in every single one of the games refers to them by the same name. Nowhere, literally nowhere, are they implied to be different species. You threw your toys out the pram over me not citing my sources - show my why they are different. One line from one Zelda game where these creatures that look and move identically are not the same.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess and Phantom Hourglass all feature indistinguishable bottled and unbottled fairies.

You know, you really have no place mocking someone else's intellect after typing out that last paragraph of horseshit. Here's the original game manual, it doesn't describe fairies in the way you claim. If you're not lying, then please cite the game manual you're referring too. It sure as Hell isn't "the original game".

Page 31 tells you that they live together in communal groups and have magical powers. It also portrays them wearing tailored dresses and wielding tools. How do you explain that without intelligence? Do you think Hyrule has a fiercely proactive modesty police who go around putting dresses on all the pixies?

There is evidence across multiple games that fairies are independant living beings. There is seemingly no evidence in any of the games, beyond your wish for it to be so, that fairies are not independant living beings. Nevertheless, you will stick your fingers in your ears and go 'na-na-na-na'.

In this case, we're going to have to agree to disagree. If Link was able to dig into sandstone like it's nothing, then he could also dig through "soft earth" as you indicated that he could in your original retort. Namek is a big bunch of soft earth.

Trees like that don't grow in soft earth; they'd fall over.
Here is a picture of some standard soil (note the grass growing on top) that is too dense for Link to dig through.

03.PNG

Here is another one, showing the overworld. Note the trees growing out of the earth that, once again, Link is unable to dig through.

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20The%20Minish%20Cap3.jpg

And of course, as I've explained multiple times before and you've deliberately ignored - the mole mitts don't grant Link the ability to dig down and tunnel, nor for that matter, the ability to dig his way back up again if they did. Again, you're demanding things in the game work the way that lets Link win, rather than how the evidence suggests.

Well I beg your fucking pardon good Sir, but you've only shared pictures in your attempt to back up any of the points that you've made so far. If you want to write me off as just another fanboy, that's fine with me. I wouldn't want to be the jackass that totally remembers the original game depicting fairies living in houses.

Just remembering the games would do for the purpose of this discussion. Also: either calm down or grow up - one or t'other.

Oh for fuck's sake. Can you at least pretend to be a little civil today? If I present a hypothesis that hasn't been negated by anything that I could find in the time I invested doing research, then be the adult in this conversation and either present me with evidence that negates my theory or acknowledge that you're just not seeing the connection that I made.

Why would I treat you with civility, especially after that little performance? You're not interested in discussion.

You checked the Zelda wiki! I'm so proud of you! Yeah so; that's not an official description of the boomerang, but I give you points for finally putting in an effort. More likely; that's all that the game can allow you in terms of the limitations of the display. Your argument is that based on gameplay the boomerang can't travel beyond the limitations of the programming code, and my argument is that it's never been expressed -- in the manual or in the wiki -- that the magic boomerang has a range limit. I feel that it goes where Link wants it to go, and there's no concrete evidence to refute that.

In the Legend of Zelda: it has a limited range.

In a Link to the Past:it has limited range, which is shorter than arrows, disproving your theory.

In Oracle of Seasons: it has limited range.

In the Minish Cap: it has limited range.

That's every appearance of the magic boomerang. I could add all the other boomerangs to the list as well if you'd like. They all have limited range, and the fact that you don't think this constitutes evidence (especially against your oh so eloquent counter argument of "because I think so") is exactly why I say you're not interested in discussion.

You'll swipe away any evidence that doesn't suit you just because you want to to be otherwise. Fairies look identical and have the same name, but they're totally different because you want them to be. The boomerang is displayed in every single game to work a certain way, but you want to to work differently, so it works differently. The mole mitts work differently to how they do in the game because you want them do.

If you want civility rather than being poked with a stick, then enter a discussion in the spirit to which it is intended.

Incidentally, nice logical fallacy. After screaming at the evidence until to goes away - you're asking me to prove that the boomerang doesn't have infinite range. That's called a burden of proof fallacy - the ridiculousness of which can be demonstrated thusly...

Prove to me please that Big Boss is not secretly three magical racoons wearing a human costume.

*ugh* I was referring to what Link's options would be if that were to happen, he's one of the few in this tournament who would even have options in that circumstance. Do you really want to get back into that argument?

If you're retroactively changing your position then yes. Does getting shot in the head with a gun cause Link to die?

Okay, I want to get another thing straight: To say that Big Boss even came close to retiring from field work after losing his eye is ridiculous. The entirety of Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker has Big Boss in the field while simultaneously commanding Militaires Sans Frontieres. He even engages in battles against tanks and armored drones. Ground Zeroes, too, is all field work. As Kaz says at the start of that mission, "age hasn't slowed you down one bit".

Taking the environment into account, if it is a heavily-wooded area or a cave, Big Boss has the clear advantage. Link may be one hell of a spelunker, but even he can be taken by surprise from a sudden drop from above. Using Ocarina of Time Link as an example, how often has a Skulltula gotten the drop on him? The answer is: pretty goddamn often. Even during cutscenes, Link has been blindsided by attacks. Ghosts, monsters, the Iron Knuckle, Bongo Bongo, and more.

Big Boss is the master of blindsiding people he's up against. He's a stealth master, aided by camo that can make him completely invisible to the naked eye. Big Boss is a tracker with an arsenal a mile wide that can easily match up to and even trump Link's. Just judging by the vast difference in technology, Big Boss outpaces Link. Let's say that in this battle there's a distance between the two. Big Boss has a scope that allows him to mark and track an enemy and see how far away they are and their exact location on a map. With Link marked, a sniper bullet can easily pick him off at a distance.

If we take the idea that "if it will kill a competitor in a cutscene, it will kill them in this tournament" as truth, Big Boss is far more resilient than Link. He is a survivor. He has fallen from bridges, splinted his broken bones into place, and finished the mission. He fell from a waterfall that should have killed him and after a brief sojourn into the river of Sorrows woke up in the land of the living. He's been poisoned by The Fear, shot by helicopters, even wrestled to the ground by the inventor of CQC herself and stomped on by her horse, and he has survived. The man even survived the total destruction of Mother Base and a helicopter crash, albeit with some mitigating circumstances that plunged him into a coma for years, but he still survived. He was set on fire by his son and he still survived. Again, mitigating circumstances, but the old adage holds true. Legends never die.

I could talk about C4, about sniper rifles, about tranquilizer rifles, and more. I could talk about how he out-tracked the greatest sniper to ever live, The End. I could talk about how he managed to fall a colossus of a Metal Gear in Zeke. But for now, I'm going to propose a fun little scenario.

The battle starts. Big Boss slips into stealth camouflage, and while Link is trying to track him, Big Boss has already marked Link with his goggles and is sneaking up behind him. Before Link can say "HYAA!", Big Boss attaches a Fulton balloon to the Hylian, and with a yell he is whisked off to Mother Base as a prisoner and is thereby incapacitated. Big Boss wins nonlethally, handily, and without wasting a single bullet.

Big Boss is watching you. Vote for Big Boss.

Taking the environment into account, if it is a heavily-wooded area or a cave, Big Boss has the clear advantage. Link may be one hell of a spelunker, but even he can be taken by surprise from a sudden drop from above.

Disagreed here. Link grew up in the forest in multiple Zelda titles. He's more at home in a wooded area than arguably anybody in this tournament. As for caves, I still give him the advantage. You spend an awful lot of time in caves throughout the series.

Using Ocarina of Time Link as an example, how often has a Skulltula gotten the drop on him? The answer is: pretty goddamn often.

Now you're bringing people holding the controller into the equation. They aren't in the tournament, Link himself is. Someone who has never been to the temple before who jumps headfirst into the action in every room, sure, they will get hit by every Skulltula there is, and more. Link the character would never do this. Once within a temple he would know to expect anything around any corner, thus his guard would be up.

Even during cutscenes, Link has been blindsided by attacks. Ghosts, monsters, the Iron Knuckle, Bongo Bongo, and more.

If he's caught off guard he has the time necessary to literally put his shield up or activate the Magic Cape if needed. Doesn't matter if we're talking about a Stalfos Knight in Ocarina of Time's Forest Temple or Big Boss in this tournament.

Big Boss is the master of blindsiding people he's up against.

So what? Link would go on the defensive until he can figure out how to turn the tide in his favor, just like he does in any battle with an unfamiliar opponent.

He's a stealth master, aided by camo that can make him completely invisible to the naked eye.

Lens of Truth.

Big Boss is a tracker with an arsenal a mile wide that can easily match up to and even trump Link's.

Link uses the Hookshot to steal said arsenal.

Just judging by the vast difference in technology, Big Boss outpaces Link. Let's say that in this battle there's a distance between the two. Big Boss has a scope that allows him to mark and track an enemy and see how far away they are and their exact location on a map. With Link marked, a sniper bullet can easily pick him off at a distance.

Not with the Magic Cape and/or the Magic Armor activated it doesn't.

If we take the idea that "if it will kill a competitor in a cutscene, it will kill them in this tournament" as truth, Big Boss is far more resilient than Link. He is a survivor. He has fallen from bridges, splinted his broken bones into place, and finished the mission. He fell from a waterfall that should have killed him and after a brief sojourn into the river of Sorrows woke up in the land of the living. He's been poisoned by The Fear, shot by helicopters, even wrestled to the ground by the inventor of CQC herself and stomped on by her horse, and he has survived. The man even survived the total destruction of Mother Base and a helicopter crash, albeit with some mitigating circumstances that plunged him into a coma for years, but he still survived. He was set on fire by his son and he still survived. Again, mitigating circumstances, but the old adage holds true. Legends never die.

If we're talking resilience, it goes to Link. That's without even using the Magic Armor as an argument. Link has survived falling into bottomless pits and falling into lava. Can Big Boss boast that?

I could talk about C4, about sniper rifles, about tranquilizer rifles, and more.

Link survives explosions all the time. C4 wouldn't do more than take away a heart, he has 19 more. The rifles and guns won't do anything to him if he has the Magic Armor on or if he uses his shield.

I could talk about how he out-tracked the greatest sniper to ever live, The End.

As has been stated in previous posts, Link can play the sniper game too. Hawkeye item plus his Arrows. It's not as simple as you tried to make it sound.

The battle starts. Big Boss slips into stealth camouflage, and while Link is trying to track him, Big Boss has already marked Link with his goggles and is sneaking up behind him. Before Link can say "HYAA!", Big Boss attaches a Fulton balloon to the Hylian, and with a yell he is whisked off to Mother Base as a prisoner and is thereby incapacitated. Big Boss wins nonlethally, handily, and without wasting a single bullet.

That doesn't work either. Link would use the Boomerang to lock onto the strings of the balloon, which would see the boomerang cutting him free to return to battle. Or better yet, let's play along with your scenario. What makes you think he would be incapacitated? This is Link we're talking about, not some ordinary soldier. Link's taken out armies of guards before. He would earn Rupees or Heart Pieces from completing quests for those at the Mother Base who don't attack him, then defeat in combat anyone who does attack him. That's of course assuming Link even ended up there, which he wouldn't because the Boomerang can free him from the balloon.

Big Boss is watching you. Vote for Big Boss.

No. Be a hero. Vote Link.

Getting a written vote for Big Boss in. Either man would be a fine winner here, but Big Boss is a more versatile warrior than Link. The dude is a stealth master, which is something Link is not known to be quite as proficient at, and I just reckon Big Boss is too smart and crafty for the hero of Hyrule.

Link is a fine warrior, a damn fine warrior in fact, but Big Boss is a master of all things modern. I hate to be the guy who argues that guns beat swords, but they typically do.

Remember when Indiana Jones was faced with a master swordsman?

ReFspj.gif

It ended a lot like this fight will.

Okay, I'm not going to respond blow-by-blow to Dagger's post because I'm not a big fan of that debate style, but I AM going to address a few major points I think are very important.

1. "The Lens of Truth" is a poor response to Big Boss's stealth camouflage. The Lens of Truth can see through man-made containers made of wood (treasure chests in the Chest Game, for example) and magical concealment techniques like the Stone Mask. There is nothing to suggest it would work like a thermographic- or night-vision goggles, both of which Big Boss have. There is nothing to suggest it would work on modern technology like Big Boss's stealth camouflage, and most importantly, there is nothing to suggest that it would work against simple man-made camouflaging techniques. Big Boss has the ability to, by using the right facepaint and fatigues, blend so effortlessly into the scenery that guards can't see him even when he is lying inches away from them. There is nothing the Lens of Truth could do to counteract a perfect camo index.

2. Link has more sense of adventure than actual sense. This is the one true constant with every single Link in every single videogame. He always heads into danger without thinking of the consequences, to the point that he often has to find ways further into the dungeon by acquiring items in the dungeon itself. Even when he has a full inventory, Link isn't some kind of expert at instantly picking the right weapon for the job. He has to rely on context clues or help from his fairies in order to have the right idea. Link leaps before he looks, and it's gotten him into many scrapes in the past. He plunges forward into temple rooms and is always shocked when a door suddenly slams shut behind him. He is VERY easy to take off guard, even for a brief moment, and it's those brief moments that Big Boss needs to succeed.

3. The hookshot does not work on every type of material. In fact, it rarely works on metal. The hookshot has a tendency to clatter harmlessly off of metal surfaces. It is most effective against wood and fleshy substances. Big Boss is coated in thick fatigues, kevlar, and other modern-day materials that are incredibly resistant. His weapons are all metal. It is not very likely that the hookshot would be as flawlessly effective as is being said, and furthermore the hookshot is not instant. Even the longshot has a set range and it takes time to aim, fire, and retrieve what was taken from the enemy. Big Boss is an excellent marksman who knows how to quick-draw. If Link takes one weapon, he can pull out another and take the shot faster than Link can. The hookshot is in no way some kind of instant-win tool for Link.

4. Link waits for his opponent to make the first move. This is the big one. Think back to every single boss in Ocarina of Time. Link may be on-guard when he sees the door bar behind him, but until he sees Gohma, the Barinade, Volvagia, Morpha, Phantom Ganon, Bongo-Bongo, you name it, he does not go on the attack. Even when confronted with the obviously evil Ganondorf in a dream and later before placing the Spiritual Stones at the Temple of Time, Link could do nothing but stare in horror and nearly get trampled to death by his horse. Link hesitates. Link waits. Link is the kind of guy to plunge into a situation and pause when he realizes he is over his head. That is exactly the kind of opening Big Boss needs.

So, with those out of the way, let's spit some Big Boss facts.

5. Big Boss has ways of ending a fight instantly and nonlethally. The Fulton Recovery System can incapacitate an opponent quickly and without their knowledge until it is too late. It's basically a big balloon that transports the person Big Boss attaches it to to his home base. It can be placed on an opponent without their knowledge, only alerting them that anything is wrong when they're already hundreds of feet in the air. It then transports the opponent to the Mother Base brig and ends the fight. It counts as incapacitation. Everything from soldiers to shipping containers to vehicles can be captured with this thing. It's incredibly, incredibly strong. Big Boss also has tranquilizer pistols and rifles, and a single head-shot from one of those can knock an opponent out completely. Nonlethal means that the viability or legality of using fairies in this fight wouldn't even be a point.

6. Big Boss is an expert at close-quarters combat. Big Boss has grappling ways that'd make judo Olympians jealous. He learned from his mentor, the inventor of the CQC fighting style, The Boss, and even he managed to defeat her at it in the end. CQC is fast, it can choke someone out in seconds, knocking them out or killing them, and can be used to disarm or slam down an opponent and create an easy open for a knockout or killing blow.

7. Big Boss has rations that can heal him to full health at the point of death. When equipped, rations restore Big Boss's health even when he is killed. Yes, this may be taking game mechanics into account, but if people can argue for fairies, I can argue for this. Rations are even more instant than fairies and also don't have the whole "are they an independent being" rigmarole attached to them. Besides, as I've said, Big Boss is resilient. He didn't survive explosions, helicopter crashes, flamethrowers, poisoned arrows, massive falls from waterfalls, and being thrown off bridges because of player interaction. He survived them canonically, as in part of the story. He is a master of survival, both wilderness survival and because he can cling to that thread of life like no one in the world can.

8. Big Boss has defeated a forest spirit in his own home turf. The End was the greatest sniper to ever exist. He lived for hundreds of years and was a master of traps and forest warfare. He had parasites that interfaced with the forest and communicated with beings in it, basically making the place his all-seeing eye. He was, for all intents and purposes, a forest god. And Big Boss defeated him in one of the lengthiest, most talked-about battles in the entire series. It's one of my absolute favorite boss battles of all time, and there are so many ways one can do it. The entire forest is working against you, and because of The End's near-omniscience he can almost predict your every move. And yet, Big Boss defeats him. Maybe in one save he engages in a sniper battle and tracks him through his omni-directional scope that can record his breathing. Perhaps he captures his parrot and removes some of his "sight". Perhaps he sneaks up behind him and chokes him out, just like he can in this battle. I'm just saying, Big Boss has faced warriors with affinity for the wild and adventure before, and he has come out on top.

9. Big Boss has defeated human opponents with no help. He's faced metahumans, superhumans, even the greatest soldier to ever live, and he has come out on top. He's faced genius tacticians, rage-fueled beings, attack drones, piloted tanks, and his own mentor. Link's primary expertise comes from fighting beasts. Even when he has to fight humans, he either traps them in a game of back-and-forth (Ganondorf in OOT, for example) or has outside help (Zelda in Wind Waker helping defeat Ganondorf there). The humans Link has faced are over-the-top sorcerers like Ganondorf and Agahnim, those bound by the rules of their world and who have grown complacent and cocky due to their powers. Against what I would argue is the smartest iteration of Ganondorf, Wind Waker Ganondorf, Link struggled and again needed Zelda's help to deliver the final blow. Big Boss has experience with fighting humans. He has defeated humans with no help. His arsenal is staggering and the sheer amount of ways he has to defeat Link both lethally and nonlethally will give him the edge.

10. Big Boss is Watching You. Big Boss is a master strategist. He is an expert in how humans function, especially those who are born for combat. In fact, his knowledge of how humans work is what makes him such a strong villain in the series. He is a master soldier, a master tracker, a master leader, and a master manipulator and Link has never fought anyone quite like him. He can and will think on his feet to create the best strategy for the situation, and he will have a plan B, C, D, and E. His arsenal works too quickly and his skills at utilizing said arsenal plain outmatch Link. He can win, and he will win. If a Fulton doesn't do it, a tranquilizer dart will. If a tranquilizer dart doesn't do it, a grenade will. C4, submachine guns, rocket launchers, and more are all at Big Boss's fingertips, and you can't defend against what you can't see.

Link will not win this battle. Big Boss can incapacitate Link instantly by blending into the environment and getting the drop on him, which is something that happens in every single Legend of Zelda game. All it takes is two seconds and one Fulton and the match is over. I'm a massive Zelda fan, but Link is completely outmatched here. If you want a real legend, vote for the Living Legend himself. Vote for Big Boss.

The Doctor said.....

5. Big Boss has ways of ending a fight instantly and nonlethally. The Fulton Recovery System can incapacitate an opponent quickly and without their knowledge until it is too late. It's basically a big balloon that transports the person Big Boss attaches it to to his home base. It can be placed on an opponent without their knowledge, only alerting them that anything is wrong when they're already hundreds of feet in the air. It then transports the opponent to the Mother Base brig and ends the fight. It counts as incapacitation. Everything from soldiers to shipping containers to vehicles can be captured with this thing. It's incredibly, incredibly strong. Big Boss also has tranquilizer pistols and rifles, and a single head-shot from one of those can knock an opponent out completely. Nonlethal means that the viability or legality

8. Big Boss has defeated a forest spirit in his own home turf. The End was the greatest sniper to ever exist. He lived for hundreds of years and was a master of traps and forest warfare. He had parasites that interfaced with the forest and communicated with beings in it, basically making the place his all-seeing eye. He was, for all intents and purposes, a forest god. And Big Boss defeated him in one of the lengthiest, most talked-about battles in the entire series. It's one of my absolute favorite boss battles of all time, and there are so many ways one can do it. The entire forest is working against you, and because of The End's near-omniscience he can almost predict your every move. And yet, Big Boss defeats him. Maybe in one save he engages in a sniper battle and tracks him through his omni-directional scope that can record his breathing. Perhaps he captures his parrot and removes some of his "sight". Perhaps he sneaks up behind him
and chokes him out, just like he can in this battle. I'm just saying, Big Boss has faced warriors with affinity for the wild and adventure before, and he has come out on top.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------:::

The End boss battle I completely forgot about and brings up some fond memories. He was the biggest pain in the arse boss I can remember playing and took a long time to beat.

Thing is, Link has to fight giant beasts with a sword and arrows all the time. Odowla (sp) from Majora's Mask is one such beast. He's ten times bigger than Link but the little adventurer can hurt him with hand to hand fighting. Big Boss would try and rely on his weaponry but he would only stand a chance from a far wall, hand to hand against Odowla or most of the giant beasts from Links World would get him killed. So even though I love The End, Link would chop him up easily.

It comes down to Link avoiding long range attacks, getting in close with a grappling hook and fighting Big Boss hand to hand. Link hits him with a downward thrust right into his chest and the match is over.

Vote Link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back