• Rhodes/Sheamus

• Yokozuna/Jarrett

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
Basic Guidelines:
  1. First Round matches are conducted under basic WWE singles match rules - the really inconsistent ones you see on television weekly.
  2. Polls will open after - approximately - twenty-four hours.
  3. Vote how you like, by whatever criteria you like.
  4. Strictly no alts.
  5. No regions, no arenas, no gimmicks (for now) - everything is based on merit.

Time for match number three:

b6y0jb.jpg

Match Three
DUSTY RHODES & SHEAMUS
"American Dream, Irish Curse"
vs.
YOKOZUNA & JEFF JARRETT
"Banzai Mountain"

Two of the more creatively named teams clash in an international battle of potentially monument-- Sheamus doesn't have a very good tan, does he? Sorry, I'm legally obliged to mention Sheamus' skin tone in any post I make about him.

Dusty Rhodes, that tubby bitch had charisma and personality to burn. Shame that's not enough to make me think you're somebody worth watching. More rest holds please sir. However Yokozuna was seriously boring, like in every conceivable way.

Sheamus, I like you. Probably my favourite deathly pale wrestler since The Undertaker. But at least you're a natural. Early prediction, Irish (Canadian25) doesn't want to vote against Sheamus but he does because of Yoko and he insists on spelling Sheamus the ''correct way''. What sort of an American are you anyway?

Jeff Jarrett & Sheamus have a lot in common. Bother overpushed and both would be appreciated more if they weren't so. Jarrett is somebody who should've been a two time champion, maximum. Where the fuck am I going with this? Ummm, Dusty & Sheamus, to you my votes go.

Give me Yoko and Jarrett here. Both guys who have been managed by Jim Cornette and would actually work decently as a team. Jarrett is a smart guy and I believe there would be no turmoil. On the flip side Dusty Rhodes and Sheamus are complete opposites and they would have a major personality clash. Against a weaker team I'd still give them the win but Yoko and Jarrett are more then capable of holding their own.

I think the most frightening part of all this is how remarkably well Jake knows my tastes in wrestling.

Yokozuna was an accomplished tag-team wrestler. He's not Greg Valentine, but he did have a terrific tag team run with Owen Hart. He's a dominant presence AND in a tag team match he gets to rest, which takes care of the unavoidable cardio argument.

With Yoko is Jeff Jarrett, a brilliant wrestling mind whom I always felt was over-rated in the ring everywhere except for in the successful organization. WCW over-valued him as a World Champion, and they went down the shitter. TNA over-valued him, or should I say he over-valued himself, but I get that, because he trusted himself not to leave. It's the Gagne Complex. Jarrett is a decent tag wrestler in his own right.

Seamus is awfully green. Yes, Sam, he's also awfully white, but he's green in the ring. People lawd him for winning the WWE Title in his first year - Yokozuna did that as well, making his PPV debut at Survivor Series, winning the Royal Rumble, and then taking two WWF titles before his 1 year anniversary. THAT is damn impressive.

Jake is spot on about Dusty. He's like Yokozuna in that he's very, very fat, but he lacks Yoko's power and skill. He's fat for the sake of fat. Charisma in these tournaments means shit. If I don't think you'd win "if wrestling were real," then you don't get my vote.

Yoko and Jarrett take it.

This one is the toughest of the day. On one hand, you've got what has the makings of one hell of an odd-ball couple in 'American Dream, Irish Curse' on the other you have two highly respected former world champions in Yokozuna & Jeff Jarrett. Yoko's a former tag champion and Jeff's a solid all round performer plus I could see them getting along, whereas Dusty & Sheamus would implode at almost any moment. I see 'Banzai Mountain' getting through via a Brogue Kick from Sheamus to his partner.

I love how some of you want to pick on the Sheamus/Dusty dynamic as the reason they'd lose. It's almost as if you weren't aware that Dusty has had weirder bedfellows in the past. An American face and an Irish heel are a weird mixture? Well how about an American face and a Russian heel, during the Cold War?

02.jpg

If Dusty could manage a team with Nikita Koloff, he could handle a pairing with Sheamus. Don't forget that Dusty has a bit of heel in him as well.

Yokozuna is a beast, but Jarrett is a joke. Without a cheap guitar and "slapnuts" or "don't piss me off", he's nothing in my eyes, never has been. J-A-double R E-double-get the hell out of that ring, boy.

Dusty & Sheamus for the win.

Yeah, Jose hit it spot on. Jarrett was/is shit, and is nothing more then a career midcarder that shouldn't have gotten the Championship pushes that he got. Sheamus is the man and already has accomplished more then Jarrett by winning the most prestigious championship in wrestling today, the WWE Championship. Jarrett held the WCW Championship during times when Arquette was, and he won the TNA World Championship when they were a small company located in Nashville. As far as I'm concerned, he's got nothing on Sheamus already.

As for Dusty/Yokozuna, both have been accomplished World Champions, and while both have had tag-team success, if Yoko was ever out there needing to fend for himself while Jarrett was resting, they'd more then likely be screwed. It's pretty much a push here, though.

However, just for the fact that Jarrett is shit, give me Rhodes/Sheamus.

This is probably the easier of the matches I could pick a winner from.

You gotta look at a team and see two equally levelled guys or guys who could be on the same damn level. Yokozuna and Jarrett as a tag team? You're kidding me right. Not to mention that Sheamus would run riot over 'Double J'.

For me it's effectively a 2 on 1 for me. Sheamus with 2 Brogue Kicks and then the Bionic Elbow from Dusty to finish this. 1, 2, 3. American Dream, Irish Curse.

Gotta go with the American-Irish connection. The thing with Sheamus is that he doesn't need to lift up his opponent to do his finisher and I'm pretty confident his kick could take out Yoko. Yoko and Jarrett I'm sure would work better as a team than Dusty and Sheamus. But Sheamus has seem to work well with guys that he doesn't get along with. If him and Dusty could find some common ground and work together they should win this match.

Yokozuna is the biggest factor in this match and everything revolves around him (considering how huge he was I wouldn't doubt him having his own centre of gravity - yes, that's the correct spelling of "center"). He will no doubt be a dominant force in the ring against Dusty and Sheamus, taking them down without much effort. However, when he tags in his partner Double J, he better have done some good damage. Yes, Jarrett might be a good ring psychologist and work his opponent to whatever the scenario entailed and where he was, but compared to the American Dream, Irish Curse? You must be kidding. Dusty could dance around Jeff in his polka-dot costumes all day long, and Sheamus has accomplished something that Jeff will never do given the circumstances.

Double J is a solid wrestler, but against Dusty (a legend and a better wrestler than him) and Sheamus (someone who would completely own a person that size), he is no match. Sheamus has knocked down multiple people with the Brogue Kick and it's proven to be deadly. He also has a knack of winning matches when all hope seems lost. Dusty's main moves don't involve much power either, and he's pretty tactful in the ring... so Yokozuna would have his hands full against these two. American Dream, Irish Curse to advance.

I hate Jeff Jarrett. I mean, I really hate him. Likely my least favorite wrestler of all time. Can't stand him or his far too blonde hair. Really a shame team, because I do quite like Yokozuna. The pairing with JJ really hurts him though. (Sidenote - shouldn't their team be named The Double Js, in honor of Jarrett's nickname and Yoko's breats? Make it happen.)

Kayfabe wise, Dusty and Dustin's win over Flair and Jarrett really help AD,IC here. Also, the fact that Sheamus has been a monster throught his first year or so in the WWE. That'll always help.

In the end, as much as I like Yoko and The Double Js is a fantastic nicname, I can't vote for a team including Jeff Jarrett.

In this match #3 of round #1, my vote went to Dusty Rhodes and Sheamus over Yokozuna and Jeff Jarrett.

I'm not the president of the Dusty Rhodes fan club by any stretch of the imagination, but I do respect what he has accomplished in the ring, albeit mostly before my time. Charisma like few before him and competent in the ring. Combine him with a new and upcoming star in Sheamus, and I think we have our winner in this match. I think Sheamus's character in the WWE is great; he's unique in a number of ways, he's very physical and has a great physique if you can see it through his neon-white skin. He's become quite good in drawing heel heat, and has shown the ability to put his money where his mouth is in terms of his wrestling style.

In terms of Yokozuna, I've never been a big fan of the immobile beheamoth (sp??) in general. I realize he spent a significant chunk of time as WWF champion, but I really don't care. He could barely move in the ring and just wrestled a style that I didn't like, still don't, and never will. And my hatred of Jeff Jarrett rivals almost anyone in professional wrestling. Whether it was WWF/WWE, WCW, or TNA, just a pompous asshole who I have never been able to support (althoug at this stage of his career ironically , I don't hate him as much as I used to).

WINNERS: DUSTY RHODES AND SHEAMUS

Dusty Rhodes is fat, but and this is a big but, I don't think I can imagine anyone who could get the crowd more worked up for a hot tag. Yokozuna's attempts in the tag division have always rested on his partner being the man in the ring taking the hits, and Jarrett just isn't going to be able to do that against Sheamus and a ired up Dusty. I think this one has to go to the team with the slightly less fat man.

Yokozuna/Jarrett

A prime Yokozuna could take out Sheamus and Dusty with a kick just like that and you know Jarrett will have his guitar handy if need be. There's no tables for Sheamus to push somebody off of and no interference from any rookies. Most of his matches against top guys that were clean, he lost. Jarrett is the one who can find a way to win and he's shown that in the past.

I love how most anyone who's taken the time to post has favored the Rhodes/Sheamus team, but the contest is so close at the moment. At least some of you are trying to defend a vote for Yoko/Jarrett:

Yokozuna/Jarrett

A prime Yokozuna could take out Sheamus and Dusty with a kick just like that and you know Jarrett will have his guitar handy if need be. There's no tables for Sheamus to push somebody off of and no interference from any rookies.

So it's cool for Jarrett to rely on a guitar, but let's knock Sheamus for not having tables. Jarrett is shit. Raise your hand if you have lost a title match to a woman before, on PPV....oh, oh, sorry Jarrett, didn't mean to single you out there.

Most of his matches against top guys that were clean, he lost.

Yokozuna:

Won the belt from Bret Hart off of interference.

Won the belt from Hogan off of interference.

Retained against Luger by getting knocked the fuck out and getting counted out.

Won the 1st Casket Match with Undertaker off of interference (by a dozen men!).

Retained against Luger a second time off of interference, and Luger's attack on a ref.

So what were you saying about Sheamus never winning against top guys clean?

Jarrett is the one who can find a way to win and he's shown that in the past.

With his impressive 6 NWA World Heavyweight Championship reigns, which I'd like to add all came long long after that title carried any amount of prestige. Or one of his 4 WCW World Heavyweight Championship reigns, where he's shown he can find a way to win like David Arquette attacking DDP or just being given the belt by Vince Russo.

Also, Tasty nailed this one with his reply too.

DirtyJosé;2383238 said:
I love how most anyone who's taken the time to post has favored the Rhodes/Sheamus team, but the contest is so close at the moment. At least some of you are trying to defend a vote for Yoko/Jarrett:

So it's cool for Jarrett to rely on a guitar, but let's knock Sheamus for not having tables. Jarrett is shit. Raise your hand if you have lost a title match to a woman before, on PPV....oh, oh, sorry Jarrett, didn't mean to single you out there.

Yokozuna:

Won the belt from Bret Hart off of interference.

Won the belt from Hogan off of interference.

Retained against Luger by getting knocked the fuck out and getting counted out.

Won the 1st Casket Match with Undertaker off of interference (by a dozen men!).

Retained against Luger a second time off of interference, and Luger's attack on a ref.

So what were you saying about Sheamus never winning against top guys clean?

With his impressive 6 NWA World Heavyweight Championship reigns, which I'd like to add all came long long after that title carried any amount of prestige. Or one of his 4 WCW World Heavyweight Championship reigns, where he's shown he can find a way to win like David Arquette attacking DDP or just being given the belt by Vince Russo.

Also, Tasty nailed this one with his reply too.

1. Chris Jericho lost to a woman on PPV. Want to hold that against him?

2. Yoko in his prime was more impressive than Sheamus has ever been.

3. Sheamus lost to an Attitude Adjustment and a SSP. You think The Stroke and The Banzai Drop would be just as bad?

1. Chris Jericho lost to a woman on PPV. Want to hold that against him?

Jericho has been WWE Champion. Can Jarrett make that claim as well? Jarrett jobbed out to Chyna on PPV; Jericho lost to her as part of an angle which ended with him carrying the title. Bit of a difference there. A big one, actually.

2. Yoko in his prime was more impressive than Sheamus has ever been.

That's nice and all of you to share your thoughts, but does that address your hypocrisy in blasting Sheamus for not having won clean yet, and for having used a prop weapon to win in the past? Besides crushing Jim Duggan, Yoko couldn't do anything without outside interference and Mr. Fuji's planning. Sheamus and Dusty don't need a posse of heels, a manager, and fake asian journalists to win matches. One of the only reasons Jarrett is known is because of the breakaway fake guitar gimmick.

3. Sheamus lost to an Attitude Adjustment and a SSP. You think The Stroke and The Banzai Drop would be just as bad?

Yoko got knocked out by a forearm splash, and Jarrett lost to Val Venis in a bathroom. What point are you trying to make here?

Vote Dusty/Sheamus, because Jeff Jarrett sucks

I'm one of the few who actually enjoy Jarrett except for his finisher. I felt he doesn't deserve to be a ten time world champion, I think, but that's not to say he shouldn't have been one. With that being said, I pick Bonzai Mountain b/c Sheamus inexperience will ultimately be the downfall. Jarrett and Yokozuna actually have a history of being on sucessful tag teams so I think they'll be able to coexist. I can't see Dusty having the same sucess with Sheamus. Even with his history with Koloff, Nikita was still a sucessful tag team wrestler at that point unlike Sheamus. I feel this will end with a Bonzai Drop on the Celtic Warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back