• Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r3terminatorvempire.jpg

Round 3: Empire Strikes Back vs. Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Two of the greatest sequels of all time; quite possibly THE two greatest in their respective genre. I don't really know which way to go here...

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
-Academy Award for Best Sound (1)
-Directed by: Irvin Kershner (that is correct)
-Written by: Leigh Brackett & Lawrence Kasdan
-Grossed $539 million (since 1980)

Terminator 2: Judgement Day
-Academy Award for Best Sound, Makeup, Sound Effects, & Visual Effects (4)
-Directed by: James Cameron
-Written by: James Cameron
-Grossed $520 million (since 1991)

I don't know that ANY of those things really have any bearing on the quality of the product, but it adds a little objectivity to the argument. I've always loved the fact that Empire is easily the best Star Wars film, and it's also the one where George Lucas was the least involved, technically. He's a creative genius, and it's very clear by Empire (and made more clear by the second trilogy) that he really shines when he sticks to creative control, and lets the writing and directing to better suited individuals.

Empire is easily - at least in my mind - the more culturally influential film. But that's only because the Star Wars series, as a whole, is more impactful than the Terminator series. Then again, George Lucas always said he set out to make films for a younger audience. Terminator is a sci-fi epic for adults; the differences between the two are pretty clear.

I like T2 a lot more, and that's probably where I'm going to cast my vote. But objectively I wouldn't blame anyone for their vote, in either direction.

It has to be T2. For me, this comes down to whether or not you're a Star Wars fan. If you are, I sure hope your bias doesn't skew your vote away to the more deserving movie. T2 is the prototypical 90s action movie. The sci-fi genre has had better movies than Empire, but not many action movies are better than T2.

I'm taking T2 on this one. With my favorite actor being Schwarzenegger and T2 being one of my all time favorite movies I just have to vote for it.

Empire is a great movie and if nothing else the second best Star Wars film (I still say the 1st one is the best) and one of the great movie twists of all time but its not Terminator 2. T2 had a great ending to a great story and I still can't believe they tried to make more Terminators after that one as they had zero chance of living up to T2 (even though as a standalone action film T3 was very good). T2 for the win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back