Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
r2ts3vpulp_zpsb02e472b.jpg

Round 2: Toy Story 3 vs. Pulp Fiction

This thread will close on Tuesday, October 23rd at 5pm PT (ish)​

Jesus Christ that's a hard choice to make. Each film near the top of their respective genres and masterpieces in their own way. Personally I went with Pulp Fiction but really I could have went either way. There's something about Pixar, they really know how to make you care about characters and create an awesome story that sold to a different studio would come out crap. I mean c'mon, Woody and the gang accidentally get dropped off at a daycare center and are trying to escape? What the crap? Yet, Pixar pulled it off and created a film that was on par if not superior to the original Toy Story.

Pulp Fiction on the other hand just has too many memorable characters, situations and conversations to not vote for it. The whole McDonald's/France conversation, the overdose scene, the gimp/katana scene, the dance scene, Samuel L. Jackson spewing bible verses, It's not a bike it's a chopper/Zed's Dead and so much more. While I grew up watching Toy Story it just cannot compete imo with Pulp Fitcion.

Arguments made for TS3 in Round 1:

HGR said:
1.) It showed the growth of Pixar from its very first feature film, to where they were 15 years later. A lot happened in 15 years, both from an animation standpoint, and in the depth of their writing and direction. So much happened between Toy Story and the release of Toy Story 3; we're talking Finding Nemo, the Incredibles, Wall-E, Up, etc. Some of the greatest, most well-done animated films of all time. And then Toy Story 3 comes out as this sort of...cornerstone on the last 15 years of brilliance.

2.) It showed the growth of the Pixar viewers throughout the years. I was 5 when Toy Story came out. It was one of the first movies I saw in theaters (since then I've seen all of Pixar's films in theaters). I was at the age where I played with toys all the time; I may have even had Woody and Buzz action figures, I don't remember. By the time 3 came out I was gone off to college (I actually saw it on the lawn with a few hundred other people). The movie was about more than toys, it was about growing up and moving into a new stage of life. And that the things we leave behind will fall into place, embracing a new generation right behind us.

I'm fully willing to admit that the timing of TS3 lining up with my own personal experience is why I love the film so much. But I can't really remove myself from that. Even so, it's a phenomenal film with a stellar cast, and went in an emotional place that is rarely traveled by animation.

I love Toy Story 3. I'm not going to rehash everything I already explained; suffice it to say I love it. But as much as TS3 moved me, and as big a step it was for animation, Pulp Fiction did much more than that. I don't have the perspective to say if it did much for the film industry in general, but I know it at least put Quentin Tarantino on the map. Reservoir Dogs was a great film, but from what I know it was more like "Hey, what was the name of that quirky director who made the film about the dudes with colored names? Quenton Montoban or something?" You look up Quentin now, and the very first thing that comes with it is Pulp Fiction.

Outside of recognition for the director, Pulp Fiction is quite simply one of the best films I've ever seen. Unique and successful in every way it approaches. I saw Toy Story and was moved; to the point it may be my favorite animated film ever. But I saw Pulp Fiction, and it changed my standard for film. It's not that I started expecting everything I saw to be as ridiculous as Pulp Fiction, but it did raise the bar for quality in my favorite films.

I will likely be voting for Pulp Fiction, but I wouldn't judge anyone for voting TS3 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back