• #1 Bret Hart

• #32 Masato Tanaka

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shocky

Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz
#1 Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs. #32 Masato Tanaka

The following match takes place in Calgary, AL under normal WCW Rules. Debate and follow the rules, no spamming please.

1. Not a popularity contest.
2. Will rules of a region come into play (Remember, this is old school WCW, so the ring entrance and the ring are on the same level.)
3. Will crowd be a factor.

#16 Terry Funk vs. #17 Ravishing Rick Rude

The following match takes place in Calgary, AL under normal WCW Rules. Debate and follow the rules, no spamming please.

2. Will rules of a region come into play (Remember, this is old school WCW, so the ring entrance and the ring are on the same level.)

#8 The Human Suplex Machine Taz vs. #25 Kenta Kobashi

#9 Kane vs. #24 The Franchise Shane Douglas

While I love Rick Rude, and think he is very underrated, and was underused, I cant go against the legend, Terry Funk. Although I do think Funk would have an extremely tough time with Rude in a WCW ring, under WCW rules, but he would prevail. Terry Funk besides his crazy hardcore shit, is a very accomplished wrestler, and was such for a good 30 years before any E C DUB chants were ever chanted. That, and he is totally out of his fuckin mind. Funk beats the fantastic Rick Rude.

firstly, allow me to say, this match would be fucking amazing. Two of my all time favorites here.

But there is NO WAY I can go with Tanaka over hart, in a smaller ring, under normal sanctioned rules. Although im well aware that the violence he used in ECDUB was just an accessory to his technical skill, Tanaka is not better than hart, in pretty much any way, especially in a regularly sanctioned match. Bret goes over, in an amazing 20 minute war.

What the HELL is up with all these Rick Rude votes?

Rick Rude was awesome, I repeat, AWESOME.

BUT WE'RE TALKIN' TERRY MOTHERFUCKING FUNK HERE! THE FUNKER FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Squash match for Funk. Seriously. Theres maybe 2 guys I can see being able to beat Funk, and their names end with Flair and Michaels.

Kobashi really ought to take this one. Taz had a great run as ECW champ and he wrestled some fantastic matches, but he isn't really in the same league as Kobashi. Kobashi held the AJPW triple crown multiple times, had an unbelievable run as NOAH GHC heavyweight champ, as well as holding tag belts multiple times in both organizations. Despite knee and back injuries that would relegate lesser competitors to the sidelines Kobashi has come back again and again recently defeating kidney cancer to return to the ring. I think that Taz and Kobashi could have a stiff, brutal match but it would all come to end with a burning lariat followed by the sleeper suplex. Goodnight Taz!

Results are here

This is going to be another exposure issue match where Taz gets through because he is more exposed to the American Audience. Kobashi is that damned good that he would win in most of the match ups. He can get. Angle Vs. Kobashi, Go with Kobashi. HBK Vs. Kobashi, Go with Kobashi. there are few that match up with him. Kobashi in his Prime beats Taz when he is in his Prime straight up and down. Taz will be Chopped bloody by Kobashi, simple as that. I agree Kobashi with the Burning Lariat then Sleeper Suplex to win.

Results are here

This would be an awesome match up. Masato Tanaka is underrated by people because of his work in FMW and ECW. However going against Bret Hart You will struggle to find a way for Tanaka to get through. Bret Hart simply is one of the Best ever. I expect this match to be closer than what is given by the numbers but Bret Hart wins this one.

Results are here

You re sort of right and wrong there X. Funk should win this one easy. But there is a list of around 6 in the WCW Bracket that could match up with Funk and Win. And Funk is facing one of them in the next round against Bret Hart. And then Potentilly in the round after that against Kenta Kobashi, if people vote with their heads. The Others are Antonio Inoki, Triple H, Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan. Over most I would take Funk without a heartbeat. But in this match up it will be a close matchup and the numbers will reflect it to an extent, but Funk wins this one.

I think I may be the only person around here who genuinely does not like Terry Funk at all. Well, that isn't true, I LIKE him because he contributed a hell of a lot to wrestling for many years and put his body and life on the line like few others. I appreciate and respect that. But I felt Rude was a better overall talent.

Rude was in better shape, moved around the ring well, and never needed to totally kill himself to accomplish things in the ring. Maybe there are aspects of Funkers career that I am not aware of, and you gentlemen and ladies can educate me on, but my mental image on Funk is a mess of a man from going through barbed wire C4 tables matches in front of 200 people for no apparent reason other than this delusion of a "civic duty" to entertain whomever shows up like it's the biggest show of the year. I respect that never ending commitment to excellence, but it doesn't mean I think it makes any sense.

Rude in a 30+ minute war.

My last little plea for Kobashi here: no matter how people vote, if you aren't familiar with Kobashi's work go look up some vids. You would be doing yourself a favor as we are talking about one of the greatest performers of the last twenty years if not of all time. Plus his entrance music is super cool.

I think what you are missing from Funk's career is the first half of it. Funk is one of those hard to define wrestlers in this tournament. If we are supposed to think of all of the participants as "in their prime," that could mean different things to different people. Some of my fondest memories of the Funker include fire, barbwire, and an old guy with bad knees doing moonsaults, but he didn't begin that until he had decades of solid mat wrestling, high energy brawling, and supremely entertaining mic work under his belt. There is a 2 out of 3 falls match with Jumbo Tsuruta from the 70s that sticks out in my mind as one of the great storytelling matches I have seen. It's so different from what most people think of when they think of Terry. No crazy spots, no hollering, it builds to the first suplex like this intense battle of attrition. I think that's why a gimmick match with Terry can be so much better than garbage spotfest, he can tell a story even when he's blowing himself up.

I think I may be the only person around here who genuinely does not like Terry Funk at all. Well, that isn't true, I LIKE him because he contributed a hell of a lot to wrestling for many years and put his body and life on the line like few others. I appreciate and respect that. But I felt Rude was a better overall talent.

Rude was in better shape, moved around the ring well, and never needed to totally kill himself to accomplish things in the ring. Maybe there are aspects of Funkers career that I am not aware of, and you gentlemen and ladies can educate me on, but my mental image on Funk is a mess of a man from going through barbed wire C4 tables matches in front of 200 people for no apparent reason other than this delusion of a "civic duty" to entertain whomever shows up like it's the biggest show of the year. I respect that never ending commitment to excellence, but it doesn't mean I think it makes any sense.

Rude in a 30+ minute war.
I to think this will be a long drag out match. Most people think of Funk as the hardcore man but he was at one time early 70's a very qualified wrestler. He did hold the heavyweight champonship. This in an era were it wasn't given to you by populartiy. Try and look up early matches and you will see his is much more than a hardcore legend.

I've looked up and researched several wrestlers for the benefit of this tournament - Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Van Vader and Steve Williams most notably impressed me. However, when it came to researching Kenta Kobashi I was... somewhat bored. If my expectations were lower I may not have been, but this is the guy that Shadowmancer and Jake touted to win this entire thing and I'm sitting there, watching his matches, and snoring aloud just for a bit of entertainment. This just isn't right. It was like expecting the world's spiciest curry and being served with a dish of sort of tasty yet uninspiring plain rice.

I won't cast my vote yet, as I'll give someone the chance to win my around on Kobashi, although at this point it's unlikely to happen.

I don't see what's to stop Taz using Kobashi's own momentum against him, tossing him around like a rag doll and locking in the Tazmission for a relatively quick win. I really don't.

#2 The Crippler Chris Benoit vs. #31 Bad Ass Billy Gunn

The following match takes place in Los Angeles, CA under normal WWE Rules. Debate and follow the rules, no spamming please.

2. Will rules of a region come into play
4. Watch the Benoit bitching with this match.

#15 The Next Big Thing Brock Lesnar vs. #18 Big Sexy Kevin Nash

The following match takes place in Los Angeles, CA under normal WWE Rules. Debate and follow the rules, no spamming please.

#7 Christopher Daniels vs. #26 Carlito

#10 The Loose Cannon Brian Pillman vs. #23 The World's Most Dangerous Man Ken Shamrock

Mr. Sam watch the match he has against KENTA and then watch a match against Mitsuharu Misawa. Two different Beasts here. Kobashi wears down the opponent over a long period of time. These are how you deliver Long matches properly. You get some of the better parts of the matches in terms of "Entertainment" Value towards the end. This is how you build a match to a crescendo. It is the way that Puroresu works in terms of Crowd Psychology.

Seeing a 4-0 score heading in to my vote, I am not sure how I am going to come across when I promise you all this was a VERY tough decision for me. I have always felt Shamrock was a great member of the WWE team and a worthy IC Champ due to his intensity, strength, conditioning, and MMA background.

Pillman was a pure professional wrestler, though, and what Shamrock may have over Pillman in strength and power, Pillman makes up for in cunning and intuition. Pillman has wrestled all over the globe, and was enough of an athlete to play for the Bengals at a small size. Also, if ANYONE can match Shamrock's intensity, it's the Loose Cannon.

I just see Pillman fighting Shamrock off for dear life and going a) to the air, and b) to the mat to get the win. Shamrock is also a pure competitor - Pillman will hit a low blow after a ref bump without thinking twice. Pillman advances.

Do you mean the KENTA match as in the one that took place in 2006? If so, I've already watched the match. To be honest, I think I just don't fully get certain aspects of Japanese wrestling. What I consider boring, I suppose others would think of intense and interesting. Quite honestly though, I'm far more impressed with KENTA's contribution in that match than Kobashi's. About 90% of what Kobashi does in that match is chops, and I've grown out of being impressed by things like that, particularly when they are used over and over and over. Like I said, I think I simply don't get it.

I will, however, look up his match with Misawa and get back to you.

Despite how the whole Curry Man think stinks (get it?) I realize Christopher Daniels' ability and ring prowess vs Carlito's quasi lazy attitude in the ring. Carlito is charismatic, but I've watched Daniels hit awesome high spots, wrestle ont he mat, and brawl when needed. He's versatile, whereas Carlito is still struggling to find an identity. Daniels in 11 minutes.

What a SICK F'ING MATCH this would have been. Even better as Deisel vs Brock, both in their primes.

I don't take backstage politics into account in the WZ Tournament, though. Lesnar was a college wrestling GOD and one of the greatest pure athletes ever in a wrestling ring. He was as strong as Nash, as powerful as Nash, faster than Nash, more agile than Nash, and even a bit dirtier than Nash when push came to shove, not that he needed it. The only Nash has over Brock is height. But Brock handled the Undertaker and The Big Show MORE than fine, so the height advantage doesn't concern me.

Lesnar in 13 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back