Round 2; 6 Super Mario 64 v 70 ridge racer

?

• Mario 64

• Ridge Race

Results are only viewable after voting.
No offense to Ridge Racer, but I gotta go with SM64. Just an completely awesome game, but then again, which Mario games aren't awesome. It was a really fun game with great gameplay and interesting set up. Easily one of the best games I ever played on the N64. You should definetly vote for it.

Like I've said before, not a big racing game fan. Ridge Racer was fun, and I remember holding little mini-tournaments with friends, but in the end it just doesn't compare to a game as groundbreaking and appealing as Super Mario 64. Still one of the greatest platformers ever made, and easily good enough to go over Ridge Racer here.

I'm gonna basically mimic X's post here and go with SM64, easily. Ridge Racer was a solid racing game, but it just fails to compare to the greatness and innovation that SM64 brought to the table. SM64 was groundbreaking with true 3D Gaming for consoles, and you can't tell me your jaw didn't drop when you first played SM64, I know mine did. Ridge Racer was just a racing game, good for an hour of fun or so with some friends. But Mario 64 was far more than that, it had levels and graphics we could have only dreamed about growing up as little gamers.

It's already been said, and while Mario is sheerly ground breaking, Ridge Racer is merely another racer game, which spawned in an era in which racing games a dime a dozen. Mario's addition of an ability to change your camera angle is necessary for today's version of games, and I'm not sure many people realize how important it is to games now such God of War and other platformers that tend to follow the Mario pattern. This is arguably Mario's best game, make no bones about, and is the best progessional leap from a prior Mario game to the next.

Ridge Racer, you've manged to run right into a buzz saw. And that Buzz Saw is Mario 64.

I can't really defend ridge racer here, I recently found a copy of the game for my N64 and it's a solid racer... but I don't like it any more or less than some of the racers that I already have. Awards and achievements aside, Mario is just one of those games that you just keep playing despite yourself. Even when you get to the point when you can complete the game in just a few hours, you're compelled to erase all your data and start all over again anyway. Mario 64 is really the only adventure type game that has that affect on me... Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64...even the mighty Ocarina of Time doesn't have the continuing replay value that Mario does.

I've owned both Mario and ridge racer for little less than a month each, in that time period I've yet to complete ridge racer but I've completed Mario on 3 separate occasions... I just keep erasing my data and restarting from the beginning. If that's not the very definition of addiction, I don't know what is.

Vote goes to Mario 64

Absolutely, 100% this goes to Mario. Ridge Racer was pretty shit, as I recall, and I'm suprised to find it here, just being a PlayStation launch game has put it in some sort of esteem, when it was actually quite crap. Mario 64 was the first truly 3 dimensional game, I believe, I'm not sure exactly how that is defined though, because some games before surely were. Anyway, it has to be Mario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back